Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Acquire Gustav Olofsson from Minnesota for Will Bitten

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
This is further proof that their are an abundance of LDs league wide. As much as it is our biggest hole, at least it is an easy hole to fill. Gambling on a bunch of these LDs should land us 1 or 2- and it looks like we've found one already in Reilly.

As much as I like Reilly, what we need is a top pairing LHD.

There's not an abundance of that. As a matter of fact, quality is never abundant, and that's precisely the issue with our roster. We have logjams at every position right now, and yet we have virtually no one that's truly worth building around [yet].

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Where does Will Bitten fit on our prospect depth chart IYO?

Because he's pretty far down as far as i'm concerned.

Good motor, great skater, small and not much offensive upside.

Oloffson is going to play some NHL games this year and likely have an NHL career.

Bitten is years away from playing in the NHL, if at all.

Bitten is a victim of an improved prospect group.
I'm sorry, I just dont agree whatsoever. We gave up way less for the way better player at the deadline. This guy just cleared waivers with nobody wanting him on their nhl roster, yet we pay up for him.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
You must be referring to them waiving Zack Smith?

And then putting him as their 2nd line C
And then naming him assistant captain?

Nah...we not Ottawa (with all due respect to my hometown)

Nah I was just joking about the terminology you used. How Dorion said he waived Smith to "send a message."

Reactions: 417

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Someone who looks at a players skillset and abilities and not his recent injury history?

Are you saying its either/or?

2 shoulder surgeries is not recent history.

Recently, he hasn’t played since Laine knocked him out in preseason.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'm on the same page as @The Great Schlemko here. Admitedly, I don't know a whole lot about Olofsson but I think we could have given something else if contract was the big obstacle here. Although players like Elie & Baptiste have been waived (speedy wingers with limited offense) and this could be Bitten's fate 2-3 years from now, I still liked him as a prospect even with his lack of offensive progression. With his wheels, I'm confident that he'll be an NHLer still. I'll wait and see since I don't know Olofsson's upside but I'm not a fan of this one unlike Reilly.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Are you saying its either/or?

2 shoulder surgeries is not recent history.

Recently, he hasn’t played since Laine knocked him out in preseason.
Which probably didn't help in his quest to get a roster spot...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Olofsson had 2 shoulder surgeries and just missed preseason due to a shoulder injury?

Who’s in charge of our nhl scouting currently?

What's this about?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
They didn't pay UP for Olofsson...

The Wild actually paid UP for Bitten...
Bitten is worth more than a 5th. Reilly is worth more Olofsson. Olofsson just cleared waivers, clearly none of the other 30 nhl teams thought that he was an nhler. He COULD become one, but we overpaid just for the ahl flexibility. Not a good trade, but not a big deal.

Reactions: montreal

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So does this trade mean we are not signing Despres?
People need to keep in mind that if KK plays more than 9 games, we will need a contract space for him, so we needed to get rid of a contract.
Despres was offered an AHL contract that does not count against the 50 contracts limit.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Bitten is worth more than a 5th.
Says who?

What are you basing this on???

Reilly is worth more Olofsson. Olofsson just cleared waivers, clearly none of the other 30 nhl teams thought that he was an nhler. He COULD become one, but we overpaid just for the ahl flexibility. Not a good trade, but not a big deal.
No one overpaid lol...Bitten is an obscure prospect that every NHL team has, who cares.

Olofsson, i'm not saying is going to be a top pairing D...but he's got ability and IMO, he's an NHL Dman and will be at some point this year.

Injuries have also been a factor that's prevented him from solidifying a spot.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
As much as I like Reilly, what we need is a top pairing LHD.

There's not an abundance of that. As a matter of fact, quality is never abundant, and that's precisely the issue with our roster. We have logjams at every position right now, and yet we have virtually no one that's truly worth building around [yet].
Eventually, we will find guys that are able to developp into full time NHLers. I know a lot of people dislike Bergevin's depth moves but IMHO this one is a good one, we need guys that can help in the near future / immediately at defense and Bitten is far from being NHL material at this point, so ...
Eventually, shit is gonna stick to the wall lol

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Good gamble.

They're hoping Gustafsson was mishandled in MIN similar to Reilly. He has skill and he can now be sent down and called up at any time.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Says who?

What are you basing this on???

No one overpaid lol...Bitten is an obscure prospect that every NHL team has, who cares.

Olofsson, i'm not saying is going to be a top pairing D...but he's got ability and IMO, he's an NHL Dman and will be at some point this year.

Injuries have also been a factor that's prevented him from solidifying a spot.
How is he not worth more than a 5th? What do you think hes worth?

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Despres was offered an AHL contract that does not count against the 50 contracts limit.

Yes, but there is a limit to the number of D's and vets Laval can dress, I see this as a possible sign Despres is not signing with us. Although I don't think Olofsson counts as a vet.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
We just traded Bill for Ted? See? I can play the 80's reference with the best of them. I lived it.

Bill-and-Ted-Excellent-Adventure-still.jpg

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Answering questions with questions eh? :naughty:

How is he not worth more than a 5th?

I don't know, maybe based on the fact he's never distinguished himself as an NHL prospect at this point in his career, he was team Canada's WJC's radar a few years ago, but when he went to camp he was completely outclassed by others. His offensive numbers in juniors never progressed...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Well, a very serious issue with him is the lack of progression since Draft year. FWIW, we cut ties with the somewhat similar Matt Bradley, too.

And Bitten is really someone I'd rather have kept (and traded, I don't know, Waked?).

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
What's this about?
He has a history of shoulder injuries. Drafted in 2013. Had 1st surgery 2015(?) and missed a whole year. Had second surgery in 2016 it looks like. And i beleive it was first game of preseason this year, Laine hit him and hurt his shoulder again. He didn’t play rest of preseason and was cleared healthwise just in time for waivers. Worrying.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I'm sorry, I just dont agree whatsoever. We gave up way less for the way better player at the deadline. This guy just cleared waivers with nobody wanting him on their nhl roster, yet we pay up for him.

Player often clear waivers and are then traded.You don't seem to understand how this works.Teams have contract number limits and just because a player goes unclaimed on waivers doesn't mean no team wants then or they aren't NHL caliber players.There are contract limits as I said and this is a big issue especially at the start of the season.Teams don't put players on waivers to get rid of them rather they may feel that they need more training in the AHL or want to add depth to the minor league team etc etc.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Well..we just drafted Jacob Olofsson and now we trade for Gustav Olofsson......are we collecting Olofsson's ??

Trade away potential offense for a no offense dman...dont we got enough of those ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad