Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I think you are right with the corrections, IIRC, was just quoting the tweet, found it interesting. Unfortunate how it worked out with both McHugh and Davis.

Hope Martin can help spark some more offence.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Unfortunately most of those moves didn't work out. At the time I loved the McHugh and Isaacson trades and i still would take similar chances again going forward. This summer I was slight disappointed in the Davis trade as I thought it would have been better to give the rookie/sophmore defencemen a chance before pursuing an OA D if things are not going well

Reactions: Tarantula

Shawn Davis

Oct 22, 2019
Seems like McHugh wanted to go to Caledonia no matter what. Apparently they pay guys to do so, but not going to speculate much about that.

Mississauga has some serious depth scoring problems. Outside of the top line of Whittaker/Schwindt/Hardie, the top pairing of Harley/Ham and occasionally Bjorvik Holm/Canade/Washkurak, there is practically nothing there. You are not going to win many games with only one and a half lines producing. Prueter, Portokalis, Isaacson, Davis, Penman, Varga and even Canade/Washkurak need to step up more.

Mississauga should be putting feelers out on Nicolas Porco from Saginaw right now. He has requested a trade and was just healthy scratched. Only 4 points in 11 games thus far, but put up 20 goals last year and was drafted in the 5th round by Dallas. Mississauga may have even been targeting him last year, as we know that they acquired both Prueter and Penman from Saginaw last year and may have even asked for Porco in one of the Tippett/McLeod deals. This year, Saginaw may be willing to part with him.

Porco has a ton of potential if used properly, and Mississauga could have the perfect role for him on the Washkurak line. He could really find his game and jumpstart the offense. Plus the cost is likely going to be well below market value at this point. Mississauga could probably get him for the struggling Portokalis (Saginaw could find value in him, especially since they'll need a guy to replace Porco's lower line role), a 2020 2nd (Mississauga has two) and another later pick or two (one or both of which may be conditional based on Porco's OA year).

Whittaker-Schwindt-Hardie
Porco-Washkurak-Canade
Isaacson-Prueter-Varga
Dodig-Del Bel Belluz-Stubbs
Christner

If Porco meshes with Washkurak and Canade enough to give Mississauga two PPG lines, that goes a long way for Mississauga. Plus Isaacson can drop to a lower line and hopefully help Prueter and Varga get something going as well. There is enough talent for them to be a 0.5 PPG line at least, considering they would be feasting on lower lines. Dodig moves down into a more appropriate 4th line role, while Del Bel Belluz can split center duties with Stubbs like he was doing with Portokalis, but should be given more opportunities to get comfortable with the position at the

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Im not sure Ive seen a team struggle so much in the first and last minutes of periods. Figure things out boys!

I know, quite the pattern has developed.

Good to see Isaakson uncork one, in fact all three goals featured some heavy shots, the other two from Harley and Penman. Penman has looked much better with the puck this season.

Canade left the ice late in the third and went straight to the dressing room, hopefully it isn't serious.

Tough game, and another tough one on the road tomorrow in Peterboro, then hours later, Sunday in Guelph. Will be interesting to see how they do with these two road games. Probably see Ranger in net on Sunday?

The Trout have played much better then their record would suggest. Wrong mistake at the wrong time, poor starts, have all factored in.

Guess Martin makes his Steelhead debut tomorrow? Will be interesting how the lines work out once things get settled.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Felt bad for Ranger, great start then total team collapse from front to back. Agree can’t pin this one on one player, this was a full team loss- including the coaching. There should have been a time-out to calm the bench down and a goalie change as things weren't going well.
Tomorrow should be interesting with the top line out.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Whittaker’s major is when the wheels fell off.
Would have liked to see Ranger spared at some point, hopefully he bounces back.

Going to be tough in Guelph, see how they respond.

Reactions: Blueliner65

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Is anyone facing a automatic suspension for today's game? I am not clear on some of the rules regarding suspensions.

Schwindt will get a four or five game suspension. An automatic two for a second fight on the same stoppage of play and an automatic two or three for coming off the bench and Canade will get an automatic two game suspension for being a third man in a fight. Plus your head coach will be suspended two games for not controlling his bench.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Missed the game, usually don't but had a few family phone calls that had to be made as something came up. So Schwinny came off the bench and got into 2 fights?

When time permits me I will be going back to watch the game back on OHL live.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Full line-up, all the players involved in last night's ruckus on the roster. Nice to see Callaghan dropped into the line up.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Knew it would be a tough weekend going in and it sure turned out to be. This is where some of the early losses hurt as they could easily have some more points in the standings, however your record is what counts in the standings.

Will be interesting to see how the team responds, I still think they could be higher in the standings and think they have their best hockey ahead of them, but they are going into the teeth of their schedule as well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Martin is listed week to week with a illness.
Ty Collins a 2002 RW is added from Guelph for a 2022 3rd and 5th.

Great value. Collins is only an 02' and could be a top 6 player for Mississauga by the end of this year. The team lacked RW quality to the point where they had to put Hardie over there. Now they have depth and Portokalis should have ample quality to work with to try and turn his game around.

Mississauga is going to need to trade or cut a forward after Martin comes back though. I don't see them rolling with 15 forwards. If Martin is week to week, he likely has mono and that is going to take time for him come back at 100% even after he's recovered. That should give Mississauga until the TDL to showcase a forward or two and hopefully drum up some interest if/when they start to improve. At least guys like Varga/Dodig/Stubbs/Christner still have some years of eligibility left, but it'll take quite an improvement for any of them to really impress another team.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Great value. Collins is only an 02' and could be a top 6 player for Mississauga by the end of this year. The team lacked RW quality to the point where they had to put Hardie over there. Now they have depth and Portokalis should have ample quality to work with to try and turn his game around.

Mississauga is going to need to trade or cut a forward after Martin comes back though. I don't see them rolling with 15 forwards. If Martin is week to week, he likely has mono and that is going to take time for him come back at 100% even after he's recovered. That should give Mississauga until the TDL to showcase a forward or two and hopefully drum up some interest if/when they start to improve. At least guys like Varga/Dodig/Stubbs/Christner still have some years of eligibility left, but it'll take quite an improvement for any of them to really impress another team.

Love the trade as well, seems like a high upside move for the squad to bolster their 02's. Definitely think Collins will get an opportunity this year in Mississauga's Top 6. Looking forward to seeing what Collins and Martin can bring to the team as their offence has not been pretty so far this season

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Love the trade as well, seems like a high upside move for the squad to bolster their 02's. Definitely think Collins will get an opportunity this year in Mississauga's Top 6. Looking forward to seeing what Collins and Martin can bring to the team as their offence has not been pretty so far this season

I am more hoping that by pushing some guys down the lineup it will help them get going a bit. Fewer opportunities but weaker competition. Plus it should hopefully give guys like Portokalis and Prueter better line mates to work with and hopefully help them get going. If they do, that is a deep forward group top to bottom.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Portakalis has been struggling on the score sheet, hoping for him to get something going. He seems to get some decent time on the PK though.

Prueter seems like a player who is due to have some more luck. I tend to notice his play often and it usually starts to pay off. Isaakson also seems like a player who could be putting some more ticks on the score sheet but I felt that way when watching him as a Pete. He should and I think will be scoring at a higher pace, just might need the right line combo.

Speaking of line combos, it will be interesting to see how things slot out now. Martin will not be in the mix for a bit, but I think the lines just haven't been a click through out. Certainly did not expect a big offense, but it seems so far they win most puck battles, get the puck close to the net, with no cigar. Maybe the change and options now set them up better in terms of fit.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Read your post regarding the possibility of moving Harley and when the time comes I agree. They should get a good few picks back. I don't think Dallas returns him next year, he will at least get the nine game audition.

Del Mastro has been getting some heavy ice time for a rookie and he has not been out of place. Some hiccups here and there but he has been having a great start so far.

Is it me or does Del Bel Belluz skake like McHugh?

And how about we just refer to him as DBB going forward. :cool:

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Tonight's takeaways: Miss 2 Ham 4
1. Callaghan working hard to earn a spot, great game for him
2. Breakouts much tighter tonight and less cross ice attempts.
2. Ham really struggling, not sure what's up with him
3. Jury out on the new adds; need a few more games for verdict
4. Hardie needs the monkey off his back and just get a goal
5. 2 losses for Edmonds, time to put Ranger back in
6. Hope Varga is ok, bit wobbly after the high hit
7. Attendance seemed better tonight?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Portakalis is the guy that really needs to find the back of the net. He did get on the sheet with a assist as Dodig got his first.

Tough streak right now and on the road to the Ice Doggy Pound. Won't be a easy one for them to turn things around.

Another goal against during the last minute in the first. The opening and closing minute(s) of a period have not been kind.

Sauga really needs to score first (and more often :rolleyes:) they have been behind for the bulk of a majority of their games and often early as well.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Also a mention should go out to Whittaker, he had a strong game and stood out. His stick seems to have a puck magnet, he is consistently causing or receiving turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad