Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
See if the Trout bounce back tonight after not looking like themselves yesterday. NB has been getting better results recently, seems like they have been a tougher team against the Trout then their record might suggest the last couple of years.

Draftguy

Nov 16, 2015
Playing NB..... one of the only teams worse than Missy. Ranger let 5 in only 25. After only playing 11 this year I hope we aren’t counting on him to be a legit backup for the playoffs.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Playing NB..... one of the only teams worse than Missy. Ranger let 5 in only 25. After only playing 11 this year I hope we aren’t counting on him to be a legit backup for the playoffs.

It certainly wasn't a strong start from Ranger but he was hung out to dry on the 1st two goals. Also if Edmonds goes down in the playoffs I would say the series would be over regardless. Time for Ranger to focus on getting as many reps as he can and showing the coaching staff that he still deserves a spot on this time next season. Will be a big off-season for him

Reactions: Tarantula

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Also it looks like the Steelheads are essentially locked into either the 5th or 6th seed. The 5-1 drubbing aside from Saturday, I have thought that the Steelheads have matched up well with the Petes this season. Nick Robertson sure looks scary right now though.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Petes were not at their best for a couple games in Jan, believe the flu was going around their room. I frankly do not know what to expect from the Petes going forward.

The Petes are playing like they did in the first half. They have two dominate lines, they are healthy and they are physical.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
The Petes are playing like they did in the first half. They have two dominate lines, they are healthy and they are physical.
And they have a solid goalie to boot. Preferably, I would like to see the Steelheads drop down to 7th and get the Wolves in the first round but I don't think that will be happening

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
As I recall Edmonds lost to NB and let in 5 goals on 25 shots last game, curious what your point is?
And if Ranger has to be relied on and doesn’t perform, this falls squarely on Richmond’s shoulders and no one else’s. He killed this kid’s confidence this year single-handed. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockieguy

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
As I recall Edmonds lost to NB and let in 5 goals on 25 shots last game, curious what your point is?
And if Ranger has to be relied on and doesn’t perform, this falls squarely on Richmond’s shoulders and no one else’s. He killed this kid’s confidence this year single-handed. Sad.
You recalled wrong, Edmonds has played NB 4 times and let in 7 goals. 3 w and a OT loss. We get it, you love Joe.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
You recalled wrong, Edmonds has played NB 4 times and let in 7 goals. 3 w and a OT loss. We get it, you love Joe.

Go back and take a look at the first three months of the season. Edmonds was not lights out. The issue going forward is interesting. Can Edmonds sustain the pressure that he is under and not cave or get hurt. Playoffs are here, what does Richmond do until game 1 in the first round......

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019

No you don’t get it; I was pointing out to Draftguy that Edmonds lost to NB (3 goals on 22 shots) and 5 goals on 25 shots vs Pete’s. These are facts and has nothing to do with sentiment.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

i dont get how a kid who isnt performing and none of it is his fault. at some point you have to say 'i need to be better' vs blaming everyone else.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
i dont get how a kid who isnt performing and none of it is his fault. at some point you have to say 'i need to be better' vs blaming everyone else.

Ok Wheels:popcorn: There are so many issues with that comment that it isn't even worth discussing.

I will say this though, Ranger is not on here blaming anybody. I don't think it is wise for you to state what you assume a certain playing is thinking, you do not have that right.

But, just an FYI- at the beginning of the season (Edmonds' first 10 games), when a good coach should be developing and playing all players for the playoffs, Edmonds had a .869 sv %, which BTW is not far off of where Ranger is at this moment. Just saying.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ok Wheels:popcorn:

why are you making this personal with an insult?

There are so many issues with that comment that it isn't even worth discussing.

I will say this though, Ranger is not on here blaming anybody. I don't think it is wise for you to state what you assume a certain playing is thinking, you do not have that right.

But, just an FYI- at the beginning of the season (Edmonds' first 10 games), when a good coach should be developing and playing all players for the playoffs, Edmonds had a .869 sv %, which BTW is not far off of where Ranger is at this moment. Just saying.

thats very true for minor hockey, thats not so true for the ohl where you have to earn your keep. players dont get to play just because. if the kid played well, hed play more, if he plays poorly, he plays less. its fairly straight forward and has happened to other players and other goaltenders that you dont run to defend.

ive posted a few 02 goalies with similar games yet are producing, so the narative that 'you have to play to be good' is false, nick chenard in owen sound has a .909 in few games, so hows that work?

your posts promoting the kid date back to well before he was ever drafted by mississauga, so the bias is very obvious

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I think every one wants Ranger to do well. If he isn't really ready then it would be a disservice to him to put him out there. He has looked better as the season has went along. The coach is also the GM so there isn't a front office disconnect, and I would guess JR has a feel for what workload to give him based on practice. I think Ranger has his best years ahead, it is not uncommon for a goalie to develop a bit later. I would expect that they figure Ranger will develop more next year as well, as it will be his third year and they don't have much in the pipeline. Edmonds steady play has probably contributed to the Steelheads holding some starts back from Ranger. Growing pains.

But seriously, of all the topics that swill around this forum, and do not get me wrong, the more Steelheads chatter the better, but this constant topic of their back up goalie is becoming noise. The team has been playing some good hockey, especially in Jan when they were on the road and had injuries. Should be good to see how they get ready for the playoffs, they could put a scare in a few teams they might face.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think every one wants Ranger to do well. If he isn't really ready then it would be a disservice to him to put him out there. He has looked better as the season has went along. The coach is also the GM so there isn't a front office disconnect, and I would guess JR has a feel for what workload to give him based on practice. I think Ranger has his best years ahead, it is not uncommon for a goalie to develop a bit later. I would expect that they figure Ranger will develop more next year as well, as it will be his third year and they don't have much in the pipeline. Edmonds steady play has probably contributed to the Steelheads holding some starts back from Ranger. Growing pains.

But seriously, of all the topics that swill around this forum, and do not get me wrong, the more Steelheads chatter the better, but this constant topic of their back up goalie is becoming noise. The team has been playing some good hockey, especially in Jan when they were on the road and had injuries. Should be good to see how they get ready for the playoffs, they could put a scare in a few teams they might face.

agree 100 percent and I’m sorry to keep jumping in when it starts but I hate when those who are obviously emotionally invested and not fans complain online.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019

Well said Tarantula- onward and upward! I tried to get off that merry-go-round but got suckered back in-apologies folks.
Let’s Go Fish, need to build some momentum for Round 1.
#fishfan

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I am looking forward to the playoffs, will be interesting to see how some of the guys handle being bigger cogs in the machine this year. I don't think there is one developed player within their organization that has seen second round hockey.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Teams told to turn around and go home for now. I can't see how games get played, if 1 player tests positive then a few teams will be quarantined, shutting down a bunch of games anyway. Probably best to just do it now before players get ill. Would be a very bad look on the league.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I wonder if this goes a month, possibly longer, how likely we have seen the end of the season. I can see the major pro leagues, NHL, NBA playing some sort of conclusion to declare a champion, but I don't see junior hockey leagues being able to resume after a month down the way pro leagues could. Speculation, and likely trivial considering how the GTA has been on a shopping frenzy. New work protocol in place, my team of three technicians are being dispatched from home and not to be in the office together when picking up parts. One person gets isolated and the whole dept is out for 2 weeks, no service calls. We have to be at the customers office to work on what we provide so we also have to follow their changing rules. Looks like some real life disruptions are taking place.

Guess without any games to go to and watch I finally am out of excuses to get some stuff done, probably that scares me the most!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad