Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Puck drops for the Blue and White game, should be interesting to see how much some of the younger players have grown and how the new guys look.
Is anyone missing from camp so far for any reason?

Wonder how long until something gives with the OA situation. I would have to think that the 4th OA would be worth something via trade. Guessing McHugh at this point.

Can't wait to see how the goalies look this year as well. Ranger should be more polished and I really don't know what to expect from Edmonds.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Puck drops for the Blue and White game, should be interesting to see how much some of the younger players have grown and how the new guys look.
Is anyone missing from camp so far for any reason?

Wonder how long until something gives with the OA situation. I would have to think that the 4th OA would be worth something via trade. Guessing McHugh at this point.

Can't wait to see how the goalies look this year as well. Ranger should be more polished and I really don't know what to expect from Edmonds.

I don't see the full roster? Just a list of guys from last year minus the ones from last year who won't be at camp this year.

I'd expect McHugh to get traded out of the OA group, and I think Callaghan could be dealt due to the log jam on defense. Barring any surprises, I think that is all you see on defense. Goalies are set this year between Edmonds and Ranger, but I'm not convinced Ranger is their long term solution. Not a big goalie, not very impressive last year (although as a rookie), and they were quick to sign DiLauro despite knowing he likely would not play in the OHL right away. That is quite the commitment to a 7th rounder they did not plan on using at least by next year. Wouldn't be shocked to see Ranger get traded next year and Mississauga running with Edmonds in his OA year with DiLauro as his backup.

Forwards are the biggest thing. Depending on how camp goes, I can see both Whittaker and Varga potentially on the move, and a top 6 RW being brought in (I doubt anyone in camp does well enough to win that spot outright so it likely is filled through trade). However, for Varga to get moved, I think a prospect or two (i.e. currently unsigned 2019 3rd round pick Joshua Reid or maybe signed prospects Max Dodig, Michael Stubbs or Carson Whitson) has to really show him up. Whittaker I can see moved regardless to open up spots for the younger guys like Dodig, Del Bel Belluz, Portokalis, Stubbs, Whitson and Christner (to a lesser extent).

I've already given my two cents before though and this is not really any different. Mississauga won't need to make a ton of moves before the start of the season.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Based on the roster from last night's game, this is apparently who Mississauga brought to camp:

Forwards
LW Richard Whittaker (Trade)
LW Michael McKnight (2018 14th round)
LW Ikki Kogawa (2019 12th round)
LW George Daher (FA)
LW Nick McHugh (OA; Trade)
LW Nick Isaacson (OA; Trade)
LW Callan Christner (2017 9th round)
LW Max Dodig (2018 14th round)
LW Ryan Holmes (FA)

C Cole Schwindt (2017 4th round)
C Aidan Prueter (Trade)
C Adam O'Marra (2019 6th round)
C Anthony Lamanna (2018 9th round)
C Keean Washkurak (2017 2nd round)
C William Portokalis (2018 2nd round)
C Luca Del Bel Belluz (2019 3rd round)
C Josh Reid (2019 3rd round)

RW Adam Varga (2017 7th round)
RW Myles Perry (2018 9th round)
RW Rylan Bowers (2018 12th round)
RW Nathan Naves (2019 1st round U18)
RW Callum Chisholm (2019 10th round)
RW James Hardie (2018 1st round)
RW Carson Whitson (2018 12th round)
RW Michael Stubbs (2018 13th round)
RW Connor Driscoll (2018 14th round)

Defensemen
LD Thomas Harley (2017 1st round)
LD Duncan Penman (Trade)
LD Charlie Callaghan (2018 9th round)
LD Wade Bolton (2019 15th round)
LD Liam Ham (OA; Trade)
LD Ole Bjorgvik Holm (2019 1st round Import)
LD Ethan Del Mastro (2019 1st round)
LD Deacon Holmes (2017 15th round)

RD Hayden Davis (OA; Trade)
RD Jake Cella (FA)
RD Brett Robertson (2018 10th round)
RD Nolan Mozer (FA)
RD Chas Sharpe (2019 3rd round)
RD Nicolas Canade (2016 11th round)
RD Craig Spence (2018 7th round)
RD Drew Jeffers (2019 7th round)

Goalies
G Kai Edmonds (Trade)
G Oscar Carsley (2019 2nd round U18)
G Cameron Carvalho (FA)
G Joe Ranger (2018 4th round)
G Justin DiLauro (2019 7th round)

Not Present: RD Riley Rosenthal (2019 9th round; USHL), LD Mason Carter (2018 11th round), LW Devlin O'Brien (2018 5th round; NCAA Commit), LD Tye Scott (2019 11th round), C Sean Mateer (2019 13th round), RW Patrick Stewart (2018 15th round), LW John Poirier (2019 3rd round U18)

Everyone who was not present was at the prospect camp except for Devlin O'Brien, so there is a good chance that they are still at camp but just did not play in the game. It is a pretty tight and very young roster of players. Only 4 (new) FA's, so pretty much just the 2018 and 2019 prospects were brought in on top of the main roster guys.

It is nice to see Drew Jeffers in camp. Mississauga has a decent track record in getting some decent American players to show up and commit to their team. Unfortunately there will likely not be any room for him this year, and if he finds an NCAA team, he may be a tough commit.

Weird to see Canade back on defense. He makes more sense as a forward given their depth at defense and lack of quality wingers right now. I can't imagine that sticks.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Anyone see any of the two Blue White games? Could not go today, something called work got into the way. Even if I was able to make it I appreciate other insight as I am not a polished observer.

Not sure if I see a steady spot on D for Canade. Like all the so called intangibles he brings into his 3rd yr, but I do not see him as a top 6 forward either. Really like him, when the Trout were short on the blue line he was suddenly a D. He has many roles on this team, versatile.

Like the first pick, Del Mastro, he looks like he belongs for lack of better terms. I am sure he will hiccup this year as Harley did and has, but he looked like he can play already. I like Davis, the OA D obtained through Saginaw, and Ole Holm looked very promising. I think the D looks as good as it ever has in 3 yrs, top 4 wise. Still have Ham and Penman on D as well.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Dodig, Del Bel Belluz, Portokalis, Stubbs, Whitson and Christner (to a lesser extent).

So far after the roster has been trimmed all are still here, no surprise. Dodig did catch my eye somewhat, have heard about him before as well.

Spence, 2018 7th rounder, RD is still here. Did not really notice him but the intersquad games can resemble a dogs breakfast. I did like what I saw of Jeffers, a 2019 7th rounder from MI. Perhaps he is back in camp next year, another year of growth and experience could have him in the mix next season. Maybe being a US kid he opts NCAA.

Who are you looking at as top 6 F, top 4 D?
D:
Harley, Davis, Holm, Penman, though as the season moves on I expect Del Mastro to get more ice.

F: (no order)
Isaackson, Washkurak, Hardie, Schwindt, Prueter, Whittaker, Portokalis, do they move Whittaker for assets and create some room for their second pick last season, Portokalis?

Overall I like the depth they have, compared to 2017,18, but it is thin at the top of the F position.

They keep Isaackson, trade McHugh, the question is do they make any more deals?

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
So far after the roster has been trimmed all are still here, no surprise. Dodig did catch my eye somewhat, have heard about him before as well.

Spence, 2018 7th rounder, RD is still here. Did not really notice him but the intersquad games can resemble a dogs breakfast. I did like what I saw of Jeffers, a 2019 7th rounder from MI. Perhaps he is back in camp next year, another year of growth and experience could have him in the mix next season. Maybe being a US kid he opts NCAA.

Who are you looking at as top 6 F, top 4 D?
D:
Harley, Davis, Holm, Penman, though as the season moves on I expect Del Mastro to get more ice.

F: (no order)
Isaackson, Washkurak, Hardie, Schwindt, Prueter, Whittaker, Portokalis, do they move Whittaker for assets and create some room for their second pick last season, Portokalis?

Overall I like the depth they have, compared to 2017,18, but it is thin at the top of the F position.

They keep Isaackson, trade McHugh, the question is do they make any more deals?

Where does Canade fit in?

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
He is now listed as a forward, but ideally he really isn't a top 6 in terms of talent. However he wears a letter and is versatile, so he doesn't have to fit in a slot, he can fill in where ever they need him, pretty sure JR will find ice time for him!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He is now listed as a forward, but ideally he really isn't a top 6 in terms of talent. However he wears a letter and is versatile, so he doesn't have to fit in a slot, he can fill in where ever they need him, pretty sure JR will find ice time for him!

I imagine he is going to play in the top 6 simply because there are not a ton of other options right now. Mississauga has 3 top 6 quality centers in Schwindt, Prueter and Washkurak, but on wing there really is only Hardie and Isaacson who are really better than Canade right now. So you'd need to add two wingers (or use Whittaker, Portokalis or Varga ahead of him) just to get him down to the 3rd line, and that likely does not happen.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The Hounds brought CJ Clark in as a free agent OA. What's the story with him?

He was squeezed out by numbers. There are 4 OA as it is now in Sauga. He would have been the 5th OA depth wise so they released him early enough to get a shot elsewhere.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Game got a bit nasty last night at times.

Bad news, not sure how bad but looks like Hardie was banged up. Left the bench and game. He has a few weeks to heal, hope it isn't a significant injury.

Our D corp looks much deeper then the past couple of seasons. Ole Holm looks like a true find, and Davis will also be a big addition. Harley, Ham with Penman and Callaghan for depth. Del Mastro has looked very promising as well.

Not so deep at forward though. Have to wonder if there won't be a deal at some point to help round out the forwards if and when the do deal the extra OA.

Edmonds seems like a solid tendy but a few rebounds seem to get away from him. Thought that was the case in Barrie when I saw him play. With Sauga moving out Ingham and swing some extra picks, Ranger should get more ice then last season.

Only exhibition season, weeks to go before the puck gets dropped for real but liked what I have seen for the most part. Looking forward to when the real games start.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Not in Guelph but saw Hardy is back in the lineup and scored. Good news!

Should heat up around the league pretty quick as teams tweak around their rosters.

STEEL33

Mar 25, 2019
I imagine he is going to play in the top 6 simply because there are not a ton of other options right now. Mississauga has 3 top 6 quality centers in Schwindt, Prueter and Washkurak, but on wing there really is only Hardie and Isaacson who are really better than Canade right now. So you'd need to add two wingers (or use Whittaker, Portokalis or Varga ahead of him) just to get him down to the 3rd line, and that likely does not happen.
Portokalis needs to get it going! Plays very cautiously. Great kid and Great family but he needs to show more! Couldn't find him on the ice yesterday in Guelph!

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
So far the back end looks real solid. We could use a top 6 winger to help up front. Will be interesting to see what they do with the OA situation and how long they keep 4.
Will they start the year with 3 goalies?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I think the D could be as deep as they have had since 16'17. I also think they could have a better bottom six then in a while, they had a couple lean drafts outside the top picks. They do need a top 6 forward, especially if McHugh is the odd OA out, which I suspect he may be. However, if JR could likely get a better offer for Ham and bank some picks, McHugh would help fill out the offence. I don't think they go that route, but I have no inside info.

I doubt they start with three tenders, Edmonds is likely taking most of the starts, and they will likely get more action for Ranger then he had last year. With the plan to start Ranger more this year, it made sense to deal Ingham and bank a few picks. Edmonds is a stop gap for this season. No need to rush the 7th rounder from this past draft ( spelling of his name escapes me at the moment) into anything, especially with the two in front of him.

Excited about the D, Harley, Davis should be great to watch, and Ole Holm has looked good from what I have seen so far. The top pick, Del Mastro looks like he will continue on the line of some great Dman we have seen here recently, Hague, Harley, and possibly now Del Mastro. Ham should have a great year as well.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
McSorley and Noel each suspended 5 games after their incidents in ex game vs Missy

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
McSorley and Noel each suspended 5 games after their incidents in ex game vs Missy

Interesting, thought the game got a bit chippy. Did not like some of the shenanigans going on but I did not see a couple of five gamers coming. I figured McSorley would get something for the staged fight.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
So far the back end looks real solid. We could use a top 6 winger to help up front. Will be interesting to see what they do with the OA situation and how long they keep 4.
Will they start the year with 3 goalies?

Oshawa just acquired Liam Whittaker, Richard's brother. Plus since the OA goalie market dried up, perhaps you could ship McHugh there too. So I was going to suggest perhaps acquiring Antropov for McHugh, Whittaker +. Only problem is that Oshawa already has a pretty good group of forwards, and they may prefer just keeping Antropov and using McKinney in their lineup full time over Whittaker, McHugh and picks/prospects.

That does not mean there is not potential for a smaller deal where Whittaker is simply sent over for like a 4th rounder. They are pretty young in their bottom 6, so getting a versatile veteran forward could make it easier for them to stay competitive but still be able to rotate through their young forwards and give them ample development opportunities. They may also just keep Aidan Hughes as a 99' goalie and let him split the net with Paputsakis until better options become available (if he himself doesn't improve). It won't be hard for Mississauga to find a taker for McHugh; there are a ton of teams either with worse OA's or with open OA spots and McHugh wouldn't look out of place in a middle 6 role. Teams will jump at the chance of adding a solid middle 6 forward for a relatively cheap cost.

Mississauga just needs to find a team with either a forward who wants out (i.e. SDA in Peterborough, but in winger form), is ready for a top 6 opportunity but is getting blocked, or was passed up by more talented younger players..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad