Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Oshawa just acquired Liam Whittaker, Richard's brother. Plus since the OA goalie market dried up, perhaps you could ship McHugh there too. So I was going to suggest perhaps acquiring Antropov for McHugh, Whittaker +. Only problem is that Oshawa already has a pretty good group of forwards, and they may prefer just keeping Antropov and using McKinney in their lineup full time over Whittaker, McHugh and picks/prospects.

That does not mean there is not potential for a smaller deal where Whittaker is simply sent over for like a 4th rounder. They are pretty young in their bottom 6, so getting a versatile veteran forward could make it easier for them to stay competitive but still be able to rotate through their young forwards and give them ample development opportunities. They may also just keep Aidan Hughes as a 99' goalie and let him split the net with Paputsakis until better options become available (if he himself doesn't improve). It won't be hard for Mississauga to find a taker for McHugh; there are a ton of teams either with worse OA's or with open OA spots and McHugh wouldn't look out of place in a middle 6 role. Teams will jump at the chance of adding a solid middle 6 forward for a relatively cheap cost.

Mississauga just needs to find a team with either a forward who wants out (i.e. SDA in Peterborough, but in winger form), is ready for a top 6 opportunity but is getting blocked, or was passed up by more talented younger players..

I get the thought process. The Gens won't be moving Antropov though. He'll be a big OA next year on a potential Mem Cup hosting team. Big piece

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Any thoughts for the upcoming season? I think the team will be overall better this year but still may not crack the top 4 and home ice for the first round.

Think the depth at D is as strong as I have seen in a few years as well. Thinking the team will be challenged to score goals this season compared to recent history.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Like the trio who got letters today. Washer and Canade get A's and Ham gets the C.

I have been impressed with Ham, he is the kind of steady Dman the team needed especially when they obtained him. Puts some sawdust and glue in front of the net.

McHugh has joined Caledonia, so that would leave the Trout with 3 OA. Wished they could have cashed in a pick(s) later round or not. Had some injury issues last year, was hoping he would find a good spot in the O, draft picks or not.

Getting cooler, sun is setting earlier everyday...
Time to drop the puck!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Any thoughts for the upcoming season? I think the team will be overall better this year but still may not crack the top 4 and home ice for the first round.

Think the depth at D is as strong as I have seen in a few years as well. Thinking the team will be challenged to score goals this season compared to recent history.

I think it will be close at 4-5 between Barrie & Miss. Oshawa might have a good first half but end short of playoff home ice by being too concerned about 2020-21.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I don't see Harley on the Stars roster, but have not seen any news about him being returned yet, did not see that he dressed last preseason game either. Hopefully he isn't injured.
Any word?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I think the D could be as deep as they have had since 16'17. I also think they could have a better bottom six then in a while, they had a couple lean drafts outside the top picks. They do need a top 6 forward, especially if McHugh is the odd OA out, which I suspect he may be. However, if JR could likely get a better offer for Ham and bank some picks, McHugh would help fill out the offence. I don't think they go that route, but I have no inside info.

I doubt they start with three tenders, Edmonds is likely taking most of the starts, and they will likely get more action for Ranger then he had last year. With the plan to start Ranger more this year, it made sense to deal Ingham and bank a few picks. Edmonds is a stop gap for this season. No need to rush the 7th rounder from this past draft ( spelling of his name escapes me at the moment) into anything, especially with the two in front of him.

Excited about the D, Harley, Davis should be great to watch, and Ole Holm has looked good from what I have seen so far. The top pick, Del Mastro looks like he will continue on the line of some great Dman we have seen here recently, Hague, Harley, and possibly now Del Mastro. Ham should have a great year as well.

I believe Ranger will end up being the Mississauga starter by Christmas. He is a better goalie than Edmonds.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I don't see Harley on the Stars roster, but have not seen any news about him being returned yet, did not see that he dressed last preseason game either. Hopefully he isn't injured.
Any word?

He earned another game against Colorado and looked pretty good - the Avs announcers in particular were quite impressed by him. Might be a little while before he heads back to juniors. ;)

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
He earned another game against Colorado and looked pretty good - the Avs announcers in particular were quite impressed by him. Might be a little while before he heads back to juniors. ;)

I saw after posting that he was in the lineup last night. Thanks!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hockieguy was here a year ago saying the same kind of things about Ranger. He would be the starter as the year went on before he stopped a single game action puck. On another thread he had a long since edited exchange where he seems to know Rangers family. He carries NO cred with me, Nuff said!

However, I am intrigued with Ranger’s upside going forward. I just could not care any less what a certain poster’s opinion is.

Yikes If that happens this team is in trouble!

No Harley tonight, seems like he has really impressed Dallas so far.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough loss, started a bit slow and Edmonds was a bit nervous going in. He looked pretty good once he settled in though. He froze for a split second when attempting to clear the puck and then rushed it. Happens in Junior from time to time.

Liked how the team hustled, especially the extended penalty kill during the first. Canade at one point was a one man swarm, made 4 hits along the boards in sucession deep in the dzone. Washer at one point was surrounded by Ice Dogs and gave all of them a handfull fighting for the puck by himself.

Goals will be tough to come by, but they did manage some good chances.

Sudbury in town tomorrow. The Wolves are having a rough start and likely will be geared up as they need to get on track, many had them winning the Central.

Reactions: mtshapcott

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Disappointed to be in Halifax for work and missed opening night. My buddy at the game said the 'heads were the better team, and the SOG count looked healthy.
I also think scoring may be a problem this year. Sad to see McHugh has left. i think this means Isaacson has to step up along with Whittaker on offense. Hopefully Hardie has a break out year as well.
I didn't see Callahan's name on the gamesheet - i guess he was squeezed out by all the new blood on the blue line?
To top it all off, the Mooseheads started the season on the road so no hockey for me on opening weekend. >:(

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Cally was a scratch, and your friend was correct as well. They carried the play for the most part though that Niagara top line gave them trouble.

I was also a McHugh fan but I would have kept Isaackson as well. He is the best threat they have up front to finish.

Schwindt impressed me as well last night.

Looked like a JR coached team, as they did for the most part last year they were working hard and winning pucks along the boards. The problem was a couple of mistakes that they paid for. The flubbed play by Edmonds aside, they broke down in coverage on the Niagara goals. For a loss there was a lot to like though.

Dodig was another player who I noticed last night as well. Portakalis got some more ice time and showed some moves. Good to see some of the depth there on the bottom 6. I think Portakalis may have a breakout year so to speak.

Looks like there is a Booster Club setting up shop, they are also hoping to get some bus trips going. Good to see.

Should be a good game tomorrow, Sudbury will be on their third roadie to start and the favs to win the Central are 0 and 2. Expect them to be a tough match.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Hey guys, your team really shut down Byfield today. I think had you had Harley it could’ve been a really hard game for the wolves to win.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Hey guys, your team really shut down Byfield today. I think had you had Harley it could’ve been a really hard game for the wolves to win.

Even without Harley, kept SBY to just 19 shots. (4 in the 1st, 8 in the 2nd, 7 in the 3rd). Pretty impressive as SBY should be a pretty good offensive team this year

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Even without Harley, kept SBY to just 19 shots. (4 in the 1st, 8 in the 2nd, 7 in the 3rd). Pretty impressive as SBY should be a pretty good offensive team this year
Actually not many Sudbury fans expect an offence oriented team. But yes it was impressive though Sudbury really didn't shoot from the perimeter which usually they do

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Is Cal Christner still on team? I really liked his toughness in playoffs against the Wolves last year.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, Christner still on the roster, scratched last 2 games.

I thought Byfield looked contained most of the day. I have been at most of the games between the two teams last year and I know he has looked better.

Great effort, tough loss, worse possibly is Isaackson, did not see him during the last half of the game or so.

Liked what I saw this weekend, but wound up short twice. Expecting some better scoreboard results to go with what I have seen in the ice.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Sounds like Harley continues to impress the big club. Some think he may start the year there if they go with 8 Dmen.

Any word on Isaackson? Tough start to the season so far.

Joe Wilcox

Sep 27, 2019
Sorry to bother you while out yesterday I found a purchased and Pinball Clemons night steelheads jersey. Can you tell me any information on this jersey. I have looked online to see if they were sold on the concourse or what and I have found nothing. Thank you for your time. Joe Wilcox

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I think they were available via auction. I never did see any for sale at the bait shop, but I only peer in once and a while. If they were available only through auction then it should be a game worn jersey.

Try contacting someone from the organization, they could confirm whereas I am going of memory.

Harley sent back from the Stars, possibly in the lineup tonight.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Another loss but they did provide some push back. Ranger had a tough outing, but did battle back.

Isaackson not dressed, that leaves a big void up front. Hopefully he isn't out for long.

The Trout have played better then their record would suggest, hopefully they can put it together tonight in Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->