Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
Happy Thanksgiving fellow Steelhead fans! Tough loss today, especially after the 2-0 lead. Let's hope the boys have some take-aways from the game and they will look to improve some key areas - power play, being one.
Just a side note about the newly-formed Steelheads Booster Club. Next time you're at the game, drop by our table at Section 20. For just $20, you will receive a one-of-a-kind t-shirt (not found anywhere else), a membership card, special events, discounts on bus trips, etc. Come by and check out our proposed bus trip to Kingston.

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
Happy Thanksgiving fellow Steelhead fans! Tough loss today, especially after the 2-0 lead early on. Let's hope the boys have some take aways from the game and they will look to improve some key areas - power play being one.
Just a side note about the newly-formed Steelheads Booster Club. Next time you're at the game, drop by our table at Section 20. For just $20, you will receive a one-of-a-kind t-shirt (not found anywhere else), a membership card, special events, discounts on bus trips, etc. Come by and check out our proposed bus trip to Kingston.

Reactions: Tarantula

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Great initiative Steel Girl.

Gens fan here. Was at the game today. Yes tough loss. Suds prob' better team at this point and deserved to win.

Lovin the renos at the former chocolate centre. Too bad about the lack of fan support. The rink itself has great sightlines and the production during the game is good too. Is it just me or does the location hurt this team a bit? Hard rink to get to or what?

Anyway Harley is a very good player and #9 plays good gritty hock'

:)

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Not sure i agree about Isaackson, only 61 totall points in his OHL career. He is an OA and has to produce, N McHugh would look real good about now. Would have loved for them to keep 4 OA until they figured things out. Fortunately its early, lots of hockey left.

I think the team would have loved to have McHugh either on the team or traded for draft picks but I believe he isn't in the OHL due to choice, not because he wasn't wanted here

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, I heard similar as SFB. No doubt the Trout would have been looking forward to a few picks coming their way for McHugh. There would have been a spot for him somewhere if he wanted to stay in the O, no question. The team in Caledonia is stacked with a few ex OHLers, they even had to trade one of them since they were over the limit.

Del Mastro has been chosen for U 18 Canadian Team. Have been impressed with him, hard to believe he has not even played 10 games yet in the O.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
*U17
Usually the first round picks are pretty much a shoe-in for this tournament. The real surprise isn't that players like Del Mastro made the team, it's that Goure, Matier, and Rolofs didn't...

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
Great initiative Steel Girl.

Gens fan here. Was at the game today. Yes tough loss. Suds prob' better team at this point and deserved to win.

Lovin the renos at the former chocolate centre. Too bad about the lack of fan support. The rink itself has great sightlines and the production during the game is good too. Is it just me or does the location hurt this team a bit? Hard rink to get to or what?

Anyway Harley is a very good player and #9 plays good gritty hock'

:)
Yes, it is a great rink and it's a shame we can't get the fans out. It's probably a combination of things but I agree location might be an issue. For one thing, there aren't enough restaurants close by. It's not like Oshawa where you can park once, have dinner and then head to the game.

Harley has been selected to play in the Canada/Russia series!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not sure i agree about Isaackson, only 61 totall points in his OHL career. He is an OA and has to produce, N McHugh would look real good about now. Would have loved for them to keep 4 OA until they figured things out. Fortunately its early, lots of hockey left.

Seems like McHugh wanted to go to Caledonia no matter what. Apparently they pay guys to do so, but not going to speculate much about that.

Mississauga has some serious depth scoring problems. Outside of the top line of Whittaker/Schwindt/Hardie, the top pairing of Harley/Ham and occasionally Bjorvik Holm/Canade/Washkurak, there is practically nothing there. You are not going to win many games with only one and a half lines producing. Prueter, Portokalis, Isaacson, Davis, Penman, Varga and even Canade/Washkurak need to step up more.

Mississauga should be putting feelers out on Nicolas Porco from Saginaw right now. He has requested a trade and was just healthy scratched. Only 4 points in 11 games thus far, but put up 20 goals last year and was drafted in the 5th round by Dallas. Mississauga may have even been targeting him last year, as we know that they acquired both Prueter and Penman from Saginaw last year and may have even asked for Porco in one of the Tippett/McLeod deals. This year, Saginaw may be willing to part with him.

Porco has a ton of potential if used properly, and Mississauga could have the perfect role for him on the Washkurak line. He could really find his game and jumpstart the offense. Plus the cost is likely going to be well below market value at this point. Mississauga could probably get him for the struggling Portokalis (Saginaw could find value in him, especially since they'll need a guy to replace Porco's lower line role), a 2020 2nd (Mississauga has two) and another later pick or two (one or both of which may be conditional based on Porco's OA year).

Whittaker-Schwindt-Hardie
Porco-Washkurak-Canade
Isaacson-Prueter-Varga
Dodig-Del Bel Belluz-Stubbs
Christner

If Porco meshes with Washkurak and Canade enough to give Mississauga two PPG lines, that goes a long way for Mississauga. Plus Isaacson can drop to a lower line and hopefully help Prueter and Varga get something going as well. There is enough talent for them to be a 0.5 PPG line at least, considering they would be feasting on lower lines. Dodig moves down into a more appropriate 4th line role, while Del Bel Belluz can split center duties with Stubbs like he was doing with Portokalis, but should be given more opportunities to get comfortable with the position at the OHL level.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Seems like McHugh wanted to go to Caledonia no matter what. Apparently they pay guys to do so, but not going to speculate much about that.

Mississauga has some serious depth scoring problems. Outside of the top line of Whittaker/Schwindt/Hardie, the top pairing of Harley/Ham and occasionally Bjorvik Holm/Canade/Washkurak, there is practically nothing there. You are not going to win many games with only one and a half lines producing. Prueter, Portokalis, Isaacson, Davis, Penman, Varga and even Canade/Washkurak need to step up more.

Mississauga should be putting feelers out on Nicolas Porco from Saginaw right now. He has requested a trade and was just healthy scratched. Only 4 points in 11 games thus far, but put up 20 goals last year and was drafted in the 5th round by Dallas. Mississauga may have even been targeting him last year, as we know that they acquired both Prueter and Penman from Saginaw last year and may have even asked for Porco in one of the Tippett/McLeod deals. This year, Saginaw may be willing to part with him.

Porco has a ton of potential if used properly, and Mississauga could have the perfect role for him on the Washkurak line. He could really find his game and jumpstart the offense. Plus the cost is likely going to be well below market value at this point. Mississauga could probably get him for the struggling Portokalis (Saginaw could find value in him, especially since they'll need a guy to replace Porco's lower line role), a 2020 2nd (Mississauga has two) and another later pick or two (one or both of which may be conditional based on Porco's OA year).

Whittaker-Schwindt-Hardie
Porco-Washkurak-Canade
Isaacson-Prueter-Varga
Dodig-Del Bel Belluz-Stubbs
Christner

If Porco meshes with Washkurak and Canade enough to give Mississauga two PPG lines, that goes a long way for Mississauga. Plus Isaacson can drop to a lower line and hopefully help Prueter and Varga get something going as well. There is enough talent for them to be a 0.5 PPG line at least, considering they would be feasting on lower lines. Dodig moves down into a more appropriate 4th line role, while Del Bel Belluz can split center duties with Stubbs like he was doing with Portokalis, but should be given more opportunities to get comfortable with the position at the OHL level.
I would like to see a bit more of Stubbs. Smaller player but scrappy and not afraid of the corners.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Definitely would love to see more of Stubbs. Patiently waiting for Prueter, Isaacson and Varga to start chipping in on offence.

I think Porco would be a great addition to the team and fit, but I am not sure i would want to pay the premium it may cost as a NHL draft pick

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Definitely would love to see more of Stubbs. Patiently waiting for Prueter, Isaacson and Varga to start chipping in on offence.

I think Porco would be a great addition to the team and fit, but I am not sure i would want to pay the premium it may cost as a NHL draft pick

He was only a 5th round pick and his value has only gone down since the start of the year.

I would be shocked if it cost Mississauga anything significantly more than Portokalis and a 2020 2nd, which is definitely worth the risk to get someone with Porco's upside.

The main caveat being there is not some other GM who is willing to overpay drastically to land Porco… I mean there are always stupid GM's who overpay for guys they like. What I am saying is that if Portokalis and a 2020 2nd was Saginaw's best offer, it is likely good enough for them to take it at this point.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice effort tonight, good to see two more points. Ranger got a work out, looked much better tonight then his first start, where he seemed too keyed up. Like him, he has quick reflexes, has a bit of a odd style.

Harley, I can’t believe how his game has leaped since coming into the league. He always could skate and handle the puck and now never turns it over like he and other O skilled dmen tend to, understandably during their first two years or so. Harley had basically wiped that out last year, became much better at all ends of the ice.

Isaackson is nifty but needs to dish it off more. His shots are not usually too threatening, he isn’t a sniper and he isn’t usually shooting from prime space.

Going to be tough tomorrow, bus trip across the border and Erie lost tonight. Tough place to get your first roadie of the season.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Both goalies were the hi/light of the night and Harley- so smooth and poised . Can’t help but watch him when he’s on the ice. Fun game to watch, a little bit of everything going on.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I plan on enjoying Harley while we can. He was close to sticking with Dallas this year. Loved that end to end rush.

Was a good game, lots of chances and saves at both ends, some animosity, and the Steelheads got 2 points in reg on a div rival!

Both goalies were the hi/light of the night and Harley- so smooth and poised . Can’t help but watch him when he’s on the ice. Fun game to watch, a little bit of everything going on.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I plan on enjoying Harley while we can. He was close to sticking with Dallas this year. Loved that end to end rush.

Was a good game, lots of chances and saves at both ends, some animosity, and the Steelheads got 2 points in reg on a div rival!

Wouldn't be a bad idea for Mississauga to sell him off this year like London did with Robert Thomas a few years ago. Get a 1st round 03' and some picks in return, get Bjorvik Holm, Del Mastro and Penman a few more opportunities, and get Chas Sharpe into the lineup full time.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Wouldn't be a bad idea for Mississauga to sell him off this year like London did with Robert Thomas a few years ago. Get a 1st round 03' and some picks in return, get Bjorvik Holm, Del Mastro and Penman a few more opportunities, and get Chas Sharpe into the lineup full time.

There is some merit for that line of thinking. If he was dealt for a good return at the trade deadline it should stock Sauga up if someone ponied up.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Hayden Davis going to school will now open up more playing time for Bjorvik Holm/Del Mastro too

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Hayden Davis going to school will now open up more playing time for Bjorvik Holm/Del Mastro too

Yeah that was news to me. Probably a blessing in disguise. Davis had a really bad stretch of games and was taking away ice time from developing Sharpe, who could potentially be a top 4 option next year if everything goes right. Charlie Callaghan may get into a game now too, or Craig Spence comes back into the fold.

Davis is an OA and seems to be the worst guy on that defense right now. Unfortunately it cost the team a 3rd, 4th and 5th, but at the time it was a worthwhile gamble. Now it is time for some of the kids to play and hopefully this is one step in the right direction for a team whose depth is seriously underperforming right now.

The other question now is with an open OA spot, do they potentially go after Hudson Wilson or Ivan Lodnia? Not sure Wilson is really a fit on defense, because of the aforementioned young players, but Lodnia would not be a terrible addition to try and jumpstart the offense a bit. He could be this year's Alan Lyszczarczyk, and if the price is similar to the 3rd, 5th and 8th like it was for AL, that's a worthwhile price even if the team is not super competitive this year. That's probably too low, but perhaps there is a team out there with 3OA's who wants Lodnia and would sell an OA forward for cheap; any kind of help in the top 9 group would be welcome at this point just to make it a bit more competitive and to help groom a team that is actually quite young with a ton of potential for the next couple of years.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The Davis situation certainly had a disappointing ending. Loss of those picks and not getting a return for McHugh stings.

Expected a bit more from Davis considering it seemed as though he was targeted by the Trout during the off season.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
The Davis situation certainly had a disappointing ending. Loss of those picks and not getting a return for McHugh stings.

Expected a bit more from Davis considering it seemed as though he was targeted by the Trout during the off season.
He was struggling this year for sure. Saginaw was licking their chops when they got 3 picks for Davis. Three picks for 10 games and a -12 , not the way they thought it would play out.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
That's probably too low, but perhaps there is a team out there with 3OA's who wants Lodnia and would sell an OA forward for cheap.

Mississauga must have been listening :laugh:

Acquired Calvin Martin for an 8th from Sarnia after they claimed OA goalie Dylan Myskew from the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL). Not quite my prediction, but now that McGregor is healthy they did have 5 OA's.

Great move to shore up the top 9. He could probably even play in the top 6 this year, all for an 8th.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Mississauga must have been listening :laugh:

Acquired Calvin Martin for an 8th from Sarnia after they claimed OA goalie Dylan Myskew from the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL). Not quite my prediction, but now that McGregor is healthy they did have 5 OA's.

Great move to shore up the top 9. He could probably even play in the top 6 this year, all for an 8th.

Quick move, like the fact it was a lower choice and not more then one. Even with Davis departing the team needed a boost up front, hopefully he can bring something to the table.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Quick move, like the fact it was a lower choice and not more then one. Even with Davis departing the team needed a boost up front, hopefully he can bring something to the table.

Makes up for giving up a 3rd, 4th and a 5th for Davis and not having it turn out that's for sure. I hope Martin can produce, but since he should be playing with Washkurak and Canade on the 2nd line, I would think he should continue to provide a PPG+ performance and provide a nice burst of speed to the lineup too.

If he puts up that type of performance, giving up a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th to get that OA situation figured out is not that steep of a price.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tweet from Victor Finlay:

Past year the Steelheads have aquired the following '99's

Liam Ham
CJ Clarke
Nick McHugh
Hayden Davis
Nick Isaacson
Calvin Martin

Picks traded:
2nd x 2
3rd x 3
4th x 3
5th x 1
8th x 2

Players Traded:
Michael Little
Marshall Warren

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Tweet from Victor Finlay:

Past year the Steelheads have aquired the following '99's

Liam Ham
CJ Clarke
Nick McHugh
Hayden Davis
Nick Isaacson
Calvin Martin

Picks traded:
2nd x 2
3rd x 3
4th x 3
5th x 1
8th x 2

Players Traded:
Michael Little
Marshall Warren

Pretty sure there is also a 6th in there from the Little trade, but Mississauga received a 3rd in the deal as well.

Kind of disappoint when you consider Liam Ham is really the only one to make a noticeable mark on the team. I do believe Martin will be a solid addition, but he only cost an 8th. It's those 3rd's, 4th's and 5th's that really hurt the most. Not everyone with those picks turn out, but it's good capital that could have been useful in a trade or to shore up prospect depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad