Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice weekend, 5 out of 6 points. Really like how the team has been playing, all throughout the lineup. Friday night was solid 60 mins of hard working hockey and today was a solid effort as well.

Nicely done! :clap:

Reactions: hauler

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Great weekend, if there is one black spot to take away it is the two blown 3rd period leads against the Otters (especially Saturday night's).

However on the flip side, it was great to see DBB with his first career OHL goal and Del Mastro with his first career point! I can see bright futures for both of these guys

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Was just thinking a bit about this game today and wondering why I see Varga scoring the winner...

Odd having a Thursday night game but looking forward to it nonetheless. The Trout have been without home games for 2of the last 3 including this weekend. Glad the Sat game is on a real broadcast as opposed to only having OHL live. Would have liked to make the bus to Kingston, waiting to see Wright.

Glad to see how they played last weekend, and the results were good as well. They needed that after the rough stretch they were on.

Draftguy

Nov 16, 2015
The mishandling of Ranger is an embarrassment! JR should be ashamed..... This kid is getting zero development on this team. 21 games in and he’s played 3 on a terrible team with a losing record. Let the kid play FFS.

Draftguy

Nov 16, 2015
I expected some more starts for Ranger but he hasn't played well for the most part this season. I would have thought he would have a start this weekeknd being a 2 night trip to the States. He must not be looking good in practice either I would guess. Varga also not dressed, hopefully he will be over his upper body injury soon.

The Trout deserved a better fate at times during the early part of the season, but it is what it is and they lost those games. Now they have hit a rough spot and next weekend will be also. The red hot Sting then a back to back with Erie 19 hrs apart between opening faceoff. With three games in slightly less then three days and a roadie across the border in between Ranger has to get a start.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I hear you, but I think something is going on, whether it's confidence ( Ranger's or JR) or what. Ranger hasn't looked good in 2 of his 3 starts, I would have to think if he looked good in practice he would be getting starts, especially considering where he was drafted and then making a stop gap deal for a starter this year. Looks like something else is going on.

I hope he plays and shows more of last seasons promise, especially that weekend Ingham was out with the flu.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
The mishandling of Ranger is an embarrassment! JR should be ashamed..... This kid is getting zero development on this team. 21 games in and he’s played 3 on a terrible team with a losing record. Let the kid play FFS.
When he does get a start I trust Richmond will remember he hasn’t played this season and will be a bit rusty. Hope he lets him have a few in a row to get settled in like he did for Edmonds.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
There must be a reason(s) he hasn't been playing. JR doesn't or hasn't benched young goalies before. 2 seasons ago Ingham struggled in his draft (sophmore) year and kept playing him. They were picked to finish fairly high but didn't with goaltending being the top of the list of issues. I can't see Ranger just sitting on the bench unless there is a reason. If he has been practicing well, looking good I would think he gets a start.

Edmonds can't play every game and JR drafted Ranger. Doesn't exactly behoove JR to just bench him and run Edmonds down.

I think something is going on, and hope we see Ranger soon as I said and showing his potential.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
There must be a reason(s) he hasn't been playing. JR doesn't or hasn't benched young goalies before. 2 seasons ago Ingham struggled in his draft (sophmore) year and kept playing him. They were picked to finish fairly high but didn't with goaltending being the top of the list of issues. I can't see Ranger just sitting on the bench unless there is a reason. If he has been practicing well, looking good I would think he gets a start.

Edmonds can't play every game and JR drafted Ranger. Doesn't exactly behoove JR to just bench him and run Edmonds down.

I think something is going on, and hope we see Ranger soon as I said and showing his potential.

Its is job security over player development.

Reactions: Blueliner65

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I hear you, but I think something is going on, whether it's confidence ( Ranger's or JR) or what. Ranger hasn't looked good in 2 of his 3 starts, I would have to think if he looked good in practice he would be getting starts, especially considering where he was drafted and then making a stop gap deal for a starter this year. Looks like something else is going on.

I hope he plays and shows more of last seasons promise, especially that weekend Ingham was out with the flu.

Tarantula, he has played fifteen games in two seasons, is this going to help development or destroy it? Either play him 1 in 4 or trade him to a team that will.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Tarantula, he has played fifteen games in two seasons, is this going to help development or destroy it? Either play him 1 in 4 or trade him to a team that will.
Agree, you can’t let any talented kid waste away on the bench.

Draftguy

Nov 16, 2015
Trade him???? trade him where? He hasn’t played in two seasons and when he does get a chance he’s fallen flat. Nobody will want the kid and all the blame lies with Richmond. The kid needs to go home and play JrA to regain confidence. Bring in the 03 and let him rot on the bench.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Peterborough wasn’t Rangers fault; his team and coach bailed on him and he didn’t have enough experience to weather that on his own. Maybe from above Cub post, they may have literally left him to the wolves lol

Reactions: cub

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Wolves will take Joe Ranger no problem. Richmond puts him against Oshawa and Peterborough instead of easing him in. Now everything is under microscope for him when he starts. He had a good season for a rookie last year. We could move Weeks from Sudbury for Joe Ranger, both a change scenery could help both.

No thanks.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Watching on tv. Does Harley have a bit of an unconventional skating stride?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Trade him???? trade him where? He hasn’t played in two seasons and when he does get a chance he’s fallen flat. Nobody will want the kid and all the blame lies with Richmond. The kid needs to go home and play JrA to regain confidence. Bring in the 03 and let him rot on the bench.

He was first star in one of his starts. His reward, he doesn't start for two weeks. also, you don't let anyone "rot" on the bench.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Story of the season so far. They have been consistently outshooting their opponents, just not getting the red light on enough.
We must have the lowest % goals on shots taken. We consistently make other teams goalies look way better then they are. Our refusal to get to dirty areas. and to move the puck to make the goalie go cross crease is frustrating. Watching Ottawa top line move the puck in our zone today was scary. Hope for a better result tomorrow.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Was also thinking that they must be amongst the lowest for opponent save percentage, meaning the opposing tenders must have a high percentage.

They do get into the dirty areas, and seem to get the puck in close. The problem is they don't have a threat 20 ft out. The puck is either at the point or getting worked in too close to score unless it is a rebound or tip. No one has a power shot or quick release to go with what they have.

Tough game, and Kingston seems to be picking up some steam. Hoping for a big effort tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad