Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
That building was empty last night. Really nice arena but every time I’ve been there to see the Generals play there it seems like less than 1000 people. I would say 500-700 last night maybe.

Reactions: three dog night

three dog night

May 3, 2014
That building was empty last night. Really nice arena but every time I’ve been there to see the Generals play there it seems like less than 1000 people. I would say 500-700 last night maybe.
Really sad especially on a Friday night I know the season is early but with that population it is amazing they don’t draw better.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The Trout can't catch a break. With these early goals against they have been regularily outshooting the opposition but have yet to have a lead this year. Same thing tonight in Barrie, sounds like another hot goalie.

Sounds like Isaackson will be out for a bit, shoulder.

Tough start to the season.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Attendance has been disappointing. I find the team works hard and generally play exciting hockey under JR, and I would say the ownership group have been trying to boost the team's footprint. The team is now broadcasting all their games on 960 am now.

There have been other threads and posts where I and others spoke about some of the challenges somewhat unique to Mississauga. Things like arena location, media coverage, traffic, and the number of pro and minor pro franchises in the area were all mentioned in detail. I have no interest in rehashing those posts here on this thread, those threads concerning this topic could be referenced and or bumped. Hope things do improve, following the Steelheads have led me to following junior hockey across the O and even to venture to JrC games. I personally could never be THAT interested in the NHL and I think that there are a quite a few untapped hockey fans who don't know what they are missing. I was one of those myself.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
The Trout can't catch a break. With these early goals against they have been regularily outshooting the opposition but have yet to have a lead this year. Same thing tonight in Barrie, sounds like another hot goalie.

Sounds like Isaackson will be out for a bit, shoulder.

Tough start to the season.

Idk if I'd say unlucky as much as Mississauga having a very average forward group. Washkurak and Schwindt are above average, although neither are close to being elite yet. Other than that it's a lot of average guys with some potential in that forward group. Watched a couple Steelheads games so far and they often settle for shots from the outside which is likely why the shot charts look like they're in the game, but then the score suggests otherwise

Reactions: hockieguy

Viking14

Sep 28, 2019
Curious norwegian: Do you think Ole Holm has a chance to get draftet next year?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Idk if I'd say unlucky as much as Mississauga having a very average forward group. Washkurak and Schwindt are above average, although neither are close to being elite yet. Other than that it's a lot of average guys with some potential in that forward group. Watched a couple Steelheads games so far and they often settle for shots from the outside which is likely why the shot charts look like they're in the game, but then the score suggests otherwise

The offence was going to be a challenge this year, as you said there isn't a elite player up front. They did get a few outside shots but they did drive quite a bit to the net during their home stand at least. Many times they just missed a pass or tip with no shot on goal recorded, or so close they buried it in the goalies pads. Did not witness the roadie in Barrie. They really only have one true finisher and he is now out with a shoulder, Issackson.

All four games they were behind early, for various reasons. They need to get a good start and turn the tables, have not seen them play with a lead yet.

Still, with some timely netminding and a bit of puck luck it could have been a different start. They have not looked like a 0 and 4 team, but alas you're awarded wins based on the scoreboard and the standings are based on wins.

Thanks for the chatter, looking forward to seeing the Petes.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Curious norwegian: Do you think Ole Holm have a chance to get draftet next year?

I like Ole Holm and did when I first saw him at camp. I like alot of his game, he looks like he has alot of upside. As any import Dman there is some getting used to positioning for outlet passes and so forth. He seems a bit quicker and a split second more confident as he plays more.

I am no draft expert but he looks like someone who will fill out a bit and seems to have noticable puck handling skills. I could see him being drafted, but only 4 games in at this point. I have liked and been watching him as I expect him to be more effective as he plays and fits in.

Viking14

Sep 28, 2019
I like Ole Holm and did when I first saw him at camp. I like alot of his game, he looks like he has alot of upside. As any import Dman there is some getting used to positioning for outlet passes and so forth. He seems a bit quicker and a split second more confident as he plays more.

I am no draft expert but he looks like someone who will fill out a bit and seems to have noticable puck handling skills. I could see him being drafted, but only 4 games in at this point. I have liked and been watching him as I expect him to be more effective as he plays and fits in.

Thanks for your reply. Norway don't get a lot of players drafted, so we will keep an eye on him this season :)

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
While it was nice to tune into a road radio broadcast for the Steelheads while driving home on Sat, the euphoria of finally getting Trout coverage was soon disappated with their start. 4 games where they gave up a early lead. Hope that isn't a theme, but I expect that to improve, how can it not, but realistically it will. Still like the D.

Having Isaackson out hurts the most going forward, he clearly was their best threat. Shoulder was the word I heard but no mention of the nature or how long he may be out.

Tough start for the team, especially with a home slant to the schedule. Looking forward to seeing some of their effort turn into some victories.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
What is going wrong in Mississauga ? 0-4 start...Selling off this year?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
4-0 Steelheads after 2--they are torching Hamilton's godawful D.. looks like Missy will get its first win of the season.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
24 shot second period led the way. The Trout were winning puck battles and causing turnovers, especially in the offensive zone.

Team looked sharp last night, the scoring was spread out, looked like a good night for a few guys.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice to see Whittaker get first star! Well deserved.

Yes, he started off on the first line but was switched down after JR moved Canade up. Canade seemed to have a extra step. Whitty however started clicking with Hardie and the two got the scoring started. Finally the Trout got the lead.

Windsor in town, they have been busy the last 2 nights, both of those games were home tilts for them, up early and on the bus today. Hopefully Sauga can get off to a quick jump this afternoon.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Another win for the Trout. I would not have thought of Canade as a first line or top 6 forward, yet here we are. Once again on the top line and he was looking the part. Did some spiffy PK'ing on his own as well, one man forecheck while short handed. Looks like his NJD camp invite was beneficial. Whitty and Hardie seem like a good combo on the second line as well.

Harley is developing a knack for walking the puck along the Bline and getting a nice shot through.

Del Mastro is looking very good for a rookie Dman, their first rounder has been getting minutes over other experienced dman, and looks like another good one, Hague, Harley, and now Del Mastro. The import #88 Holm has been looking very good while getting considerable minutes as well.

6 games, and outshot their opponents in each game. They work hard every line and win puck battles along the boards again and again. JR has to be able to get the team working hard again. 2 wins, and 4 losses, but I think they climb up the standings as the year goes along. I could see this team giving some push for 2nd in the Central, it wouldn't surprise me.

Great weekend for the Steelheads! The wins and points were great, but there was also alot to like as well in many respects.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Don't you have a Hotels.com spot to film? :whatever:

All kidding aside, yes, has been disappointing, especially considering how well the team has been playing.

Looking forward to the next Doggie/Trout game.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Seemed to lack some effort last night. Perhaps Ottawa were more of a cause to this then effort. Think the team stayed overnight prior, can't put it on bus legs.

Goaltending seems to be a issue for a few teams, perhaps more then usual. Edmonds looks good but every now and then one seems to sneak through. With the games as close as they have mostly been, tending becomes a bigger factor. Expecting to see Ranger get some more starts, he has some potential and is all upside as a 2nd year goalie and should improve but he needs to look better then his first start, a bit shaky in his first game earlier.

JR signed a extension, 3 years. Overall this is good for the Trout, JR and his staff seem to have a hardworking team. I overall have been happy with the drafts, Boyd the previous GM had some drafts with not much to show. I sometimes feel JR is a tad loose with draft picks, but then again I ain't the one on the phone.

Should be a good one on Sunday, Sauga usually plays well at home. Sudbury will likely be on their toes after their collapse against OSH.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Seemed to lack some effort last night. Perhaps Ottawa were more of a cause to this then effort. Think the team stayed overnight prior, can't put it on bus legs.

Goaltending seems to be a issue for a few teams, perhaps more then usual. Edmonds looks good but every now and then one seems to sneak through. With the games as close as they have mostly been, tending becomes a bigger factor. Expecting to see Ranger get some more starts, he has some potential and is all upside as a 2nd year goalie and should improve but he needs to look better then his first start, a bit shaky in his first game earlier.

JR signed a extension, 3 years. Overall this is good for the Trout, JR and his staff seem to have a hardworking team. I overall have been happy with the drafts, Boyd the previous GM had some drafts with not much to show. I sometimes feel JR is a tad loose with draft picks, but then again I ain't the one on the phone.

Should be a good one on Sunday, Sauga usually plays well at home. Sudbury will likely be on their toes after their collapse against OSH.
Scoring seems to be the issue with this years team, that 5 on 3 today was not pretty. We seem to get shots but not great scoring chances. Would love to know the grade A scoring chances today, my guess is alot to a little in favour of Sudbury. Hopefully they can figure things out soon.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Scoring seems to be the issue with this years team, that 5 on 3 today was not pretty. We seem to get shots but not great scoring chances. Would love to know the grade A scoring chances today, my guess is alot to a little in favour of Sudbury. Hopefully they can figure things out soon.

Had many of the same thoughts, they work hard and get the puck to the net but they need a finisher. Hardie is the main threat they have. Isaackson is nifty and will get points but isn't a top level scorer.

Yeah, the 5 on 3 was not at all highlight material for the Trout.

Hardie looked great today however and Harley seems to be more of a factor as he adjusts back.

Tough start for the Trout so far, some more line juggling happening. I think they should light the lamp a bit more going forward.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Had many of the same thoughts, they work hard and get the puck to the net but they need a finisher. Hardie is the main threat they have. Isaackson is nifty and will get points but isn't a top level scorer.

Yeah, the 5 on 3 was not at all highlight material for the Trout.

Hardie looked great today however and Harley seems to be more of a factor as he adjusts back.

Tough start for the Trout so far, some more line juggling happening. I think they should light the lamp a bit more going forward.
Not sure i agree about Isaackson, only 61 totall points in his OHL career. He is an OA and has to produce, N McHugh would look real good about now. Would have loved for them to keep 4 OA until they figured things out. Fortunately its early, lots of hockey left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad