Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Ask Russo: Marco Rossi's chances, Matt Dumba's future, trades, FAs and more

We talked about this Mailbag in the trade thread, but I wanted to point out something I found interesting.

Pretty much oit sounds like there is a high chance Rossi starts with the Wild and at least get 9 games before they keep him up or loan him to europe etc.

However, sounds like if Rossi plays they will move Johansson to wing in Russo's mind.

Parise - Bonino - Fiala
Kap - Rossi - Zucc
Johansson - Ek - Bjugstad
Greenway - Rask - Hartman

Sturm to Iowa and find a trade for Foligno.

This lineup looks pretty good, and the most realistic one imo.
And I'm 99% sure that Rossi will make the team.

Reactions: HotDish

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I believe Rossi himself has already committed to a DEL team if he doesn't make the NHL. Also, isn't it even up in the air right now if the AHL is even going to play due to money issues without fans?

That's why Menell is in the KHL this year.

It is for sure up in the air what the AHL season will look like. Especially with the 10 teams not owned by NHL teams.

But if there is an AHL season, it would be nice to know if we can send Rossi there.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It is for sure up in the air what the AHL season will look like. Especially with the 10 teams not owned by NHL teams.

But if there is an AHL season, it would be nice to know if we can send Rossi there.
Like I said, I think he's already made the decision where he's going anyway if he's not with the Wild.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Like I said, I think he's already made the decision where he's going anyway if he's not with the Wild.

His answer certainly may change if he can play in the AHL.

Wild deciding he's not ready and sending him to Swiss A or DEL means he's there for the season.

Wild sending him to the AHL means he could be back in the NHL in a month, or two months, or two days if an injury occurs, etc.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
His answer certainly may change if he can play in the AHL.

Wild deciding he's not ready and sending him to Swiss A or DEL means he's there for the season.

Wild sending him to the AHL means he could be back in the NHL in a month, or two months, or two days if an injury occurs, etc.

If the Wild decide he's not ready for the NHL, he's not going to be used as an injury callup.

Reactions: HotDish and TaLoN

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If the Wild decide he's not ready for the NHL, he's not going to be used as an injury callup.

Ya, the two days thing probably isn't going to happen. But if he looked a bit overwhelmed week one after not playing competitively since March, and found his stride after a month in the AHL that's certainly a reasonable possibility.

Just trying to illustrate the AHL might be a good option if he can go there.

I suspect he'll be on the team week one and be fine, but it would be good to know if it's an option. Russo doesn't seem to think it is, but it seems like there is a good chance it is.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ya, the two days thing probably isn't going to happen. But if he looked a bit overwhelmed week one after not playing competitively since March, and found his stride after a month in the AHL that's certainly a reasonable possibility.

Just trying to illustrate the AHL might be a good option if he can go there.

I suspect he'll be on the team week one and be fine, but it would be good to know if it's an option. Russo doesn't seem to think it is, but it seems like there is a good chance it is.

No, I really disagree here. That's what the 9 games are for. If he looks like he doesn't belong after training camp, pre-season and the first three weeks of the regular season, he's going to be sent somewhere and left alone. He's not going to be brought back every few weeks just to see if he's ready now. I can't think of a worse way to handle it than that.

If he's not NHL ready by the time the 9 games are over, he's not going to magically become a difference maker a month or two down the line. Thus, there's no point in keeping him around as a callup.

Reactions: 2Pair

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
No, I really disagree here. That's what the 9 games are for. If he looks like he doesn't belong after training camp, pre-season and the first three weeks of the regular season, he's going to be sent somewhere and left alone. He's not going to be brought back every few weeks just to see if he's ready now. I can't think of a worse way to handle it than that.

The AHL is a better league than Swiss A or DEL. And the intent isn't to yo-yo him back and forth at the slightest whim.

They could leave him in the AHL all year and it would be better for his development than Swiss-A. But if he shows a jump, he's an option to come back. That's not a bad thing.

Mikko Rantenten and William Nylander both spent their post draft year in the AHL, and their teams were able to resist calling them up every other month, and it doesn't burn a year of his contract.

But, if he tears the AHL a no one for a month or two, it is an option.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
The AHL is a better league than Swiss A or DEL. And the intent isn't to yo-yo him back and forth at the slightest whim.

They could leave him in the AHL all year and it would be better for his development than Swiss-A. But if he shows a jump, he's an option to come back. That's not a bad thing.

Mikko Rantenten and William Nylander both spent their post draft year in the AHL, and their teams were able to resist calling them up every other month, and it doesn't burn a year of his contract.

Rossi cannot play in the AHL, plus we don't even know if there will be an AHL season.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I'm not debating the quality of the leagues. I have no issue with him playing in the AHL. The issue becomes when you think calling him back up is an option after they decide he's not NHL ready. If he's not ready after 9 games, calling up back up is not an option. Rantanen had 60 points in 52 NHL games and never got called up. Is that what you mean by "shows a jump"?

If he has to get sent to another league, whether it's the AHL, the DEL, the Swiss league, he's there for the year. If it happens to be the AHL, it doesn't matter. Calling him back up is not an option, period.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Rossi cannot play in the AHL, plus we don't even know if there will be an AHL season.

We don't know that though. Russo said he can't because, because the chl agreement, with out probably thinking about it.

But, if ZSC loaned him to the CHL, he actually can. Like Julius Honka did. And indications are he has some sort of underlying contract with ZSC.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm not debating the quality of the leagues. I have no issue with him playing in the AHL. The issue becomes when you think calling him back up is an option after they decide he's not NHL ready. If he's not ready after 9 games, calling up back up is not an option. Rantanen had 60 points in 52 NHL games and never got called up. Is that what you mean by "shows a jump"?

If he has to get sent to another league, whether it's the AHL, the DEL, the Swiss league, he's there for the year. If it happens to be the AHL, it doesn't matter. Calling him back up is not an option, period.

Avalanche were a clear non playoff team that year, so saving the year was probably a factor there.

I'm just in favor of letting his development control his destiny. If we are a playoff team, and he looks like he can help after a month or three in the AHL I'd be in favor of recalling him.

A hard and fast rule seems silly.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Avalanche were a clear non playoff team that year, so saving the year was probably a factor there.

I'm just in favor of letting his development control his destiny. If we are a playoff team, and he looks like he can help after a month or three in the AHL I'd be in favor of recalling him.

A hard and fast rule seems silly.

Speaking of silly...

You give this kid every chance to make the NHL team, after training camp, pre-season and 3 weeks in the NHL you determine he is not ready to play in the NHL.
Two months later, just because you're chasing the playoffs, you decide to take the kid who wasn't ready for the NHL, and throw him into a playoff race because now he's magically ready?
Playoff races aren't the time or place to determine if a kid is ready to be here. You just decided a couple months ago he wasn't. So he isn't. Find your playoff race help elsewhere if you need it. No use burning the first year of his ELC to find out, "oops, turns out he still wasn't ready for the NHL, even though he "showed jump" in the AHL."
If Rossi isn't where he needs to be to play in the NHL in mid-to-late January, he's not going to be an impact player in the playoff race or the playoffs, so there's no reason to call him back up.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Speaking of silly...

You give this kid every chance to make the NHL team, after training camp, pre-season and 3 weeks in the NHL you determine he is not ready to play in the NHL.
Two months later, just because you're chasing the playoffs, you decide to take the kid who wasn't ready for the NHL, and throw him into a playoff race because now he's magically ready?
Playoff races aren't the time or place to determine if a kid is ready to be here. You just decided a couple months ago he wasn't. So he isn't. Find your playoff race help elsewhere if you need it. No use burning the first year of his ELC to find out, "oops, turns out he still wasn't ready for the NHL, even though he "showed jump" in the AHL."
If Rossi isn't where he needs to be to play in the NHL in mid-to-late January, he's not going to be an impact player in the playoff race or the playoffs, so there's no reason to call him back up.

Why does the AHL exist if it doesn't develop players. Can he not improve in the AHL?

You are arguing against letting his development drive the bus on where he plays.

And, ya if the Wild are out of the playoffs you just keep him there instead of burning the ELC.

I reject the argument out right that because a player wasnt quite ready day one, that they can't be ready to help 3 months later.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why does the AHL exist if it doesn't develop players. Can he not improve in the AHL?

You are arguing against letting his development drive the bus on where he plays.

And, ya if the Wild are out of the playoffs you just keep him there instead of burning the ELC.

I reject the argument out right that because a player wasnt quite ready day one, that they can't be ready to help 3 months later.

Yeah, the point is there's no reason to try to find out.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Because he can make the Wild better, and it may be good for him seems like a pretty good reason.

There is no reason to burn a year of his ELC to find out if he can help in the playoff race/playoffs when you just decided a couple months ago that he wasn't NHL ready.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
There is no reason to burn a year of his ELC to find out if he can help in the playoff race/playoffs when you just decided a couple months ago that he wasn't NHL ready.

ELC's get burned at a drop of the hat every year, for a lot worse reasons than a player being able to actually help a team.

I'd care much more about the year of service to UFA than a year of his ELC.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
And honestly, if we sent him to Swiss-A we would almost assuredly burn his ELC at the end of the year anyways, given that Swiss-A will end before the NHL season.

I'd be shocked if they wouldn't want to see how he's developed.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
ELC's get burned at a drop of the hat every year, for a lot worse reasons than a player being able to actually help a team.

I'd care much more about the year of service to UFA than a year of his ELC.
I don't think players often remarkable develop in half a season especially a shorten and condensed season 2020 will most likely be.

If the Wild feel like Rossi needs to develop in Europe or the AHL he will be there getting 1st line minutes the whole season.

If the playoffs rest on the shoulders on Rossi I think the Wild make a trade before calling up Rossi.

I would bet the Wild FO value a year on the ELC a lot more than you do.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't think players often remarkable develop in half a season especially a shorten and condensed season 2020 will most likely be.

If the Wild feel like Rossi needs to develop in Europe or the AHL he will be there getting 1st line minutes the whole season.

If the playoffs rest on the shoulders on Rossi I think the Wild make a trade before calling up Rossi.

I would bet the Wild FO value a year on the ELC a lot more than you do.

In my opinion, the most likely area where Rossi would need help developing is adjusting to the speed of the NHL game. CHL to NHL is a big jump.

It's possible he can do it in the 9 game sample, and I think he will be ready and stick in the NHL.

But if he's not, I don't think its out of the question a month or two stint in the AHL to bridge that speed gap with an intermediate step would help and place him in a position where he can really help the Wild as the season goes on.

He's not going to improve skating, or shot, or whatever technical skill mid season. That's what the offseason is for. Speed of the game is where the AHL can help Rossi succed in the NHL this year.

I value the ELC year. I'm sure the Front Office does as well. But this isn't baseball. I can't think of a single situation where a player that could help a team that is in playoff contention win was available, but not utilized out of consideration for his contract.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
If he looks good enough to make the team then you put him on the team. The chances of that are high.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I got the new NHL game for the Xbox and I hope they didn't consult Billy with the Wild's default lines. The top line was Foligno-Johannson-Fiala...

Although in my first online game where I won 8-1, the 3rd line of Greenway-Bonino-Bjugstad had 7 combined points. So that's neat.

No Kaprizov in the default rosters either.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I got the new NHL game for the Xbox and I hope they didn't consult Billy with the Wild's default lines. The top line was Foligno-Johannson-Fiala...

Although in my first online game where I won 8-1, the 3rd line of Greenway-Bonino-Bjugstad had 7 combined points. So that's neat.

No Kaprizov in the default rosters either.

Foligno - Johannson - Fiala is a Jacques Lamaire line if I've ever seen one! The best offensive player on the team? Check. The toughest grinder on the 1st line? Check. A center that is better at/wants to play wing? Check.

Without having Kaprizov in there, I sort of wonder what their guidelines are when setting up the rosters. Are they, for some reason, not allowed to put players into the initial line-ups that weren't in the NHL last year? I know the studio that makes that game is in Vancouver. Are they just trolling us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad