Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
can you put this to rest? kap already speaks pretty good english he will be fine without a russian speaking center... if it matters that much im sure some teammates can learn some basic words in russian to help.
if hes not feeling welcome , comfortable & happy after one year he maybe an rfa but he could could say i want out of mn and demand a trade. worst case for him he goes back to russia. now do you understand?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
if hes not feeling welcome , comfortable & happy after one year he maybe an rfa but he could could say i want out of mn and demand a trade. worst case for him he goes back to russia. now do you understand?
I understand that needing another Russian speaking center does not help that situation. Feeling comfortable is much more than a language barrier so again put this to rest. Speaking the same language does not solve your issue you bring up.

Reactions: 2Pair

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
remember the late 90's red wings with all the russians? their chemistry was off the charts.
Yes, but that was coming out of the era where Russian players played for the government and had to defect to even play in the NHL, many of those players having played together for years before leaving Russia already in their prime.

Simply not the same situation anymore.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Billy G. has a method to his madness I think. It's been a few years since I felt optimism about this franchise long-term. He seems to play other than the quick fix, short-term option.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
remember the late 90's red wings with all the russians? their chemistry was off the charts.

ehhhhhhhhhh. Many also knew each other before crossing over to the United States. Not to mention they were extremely familiar with the playing style, since it the Soviet's style after all.

Billy G. has a method to his madness I think. It's been a few years since I felt optimism about this franchise long-term. He seems to play other than the quick fix, short-term option.

I just get frustrated by, what feels like, the same push that the Wild are trying to capture lightning in a bottle of what made the Penguins successful in their role-playing guys as opposed to the hyper stars. I will say, that my optimism grows that it appears Guerin knows that he isn't going to get that type of player in FA (which of course he isn't) and is trying to find it in the draft. Which....seems to be what Fenton/Fletcher[to a degree]/Riser never really understood.

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I liked Fletcher, but he never valued draft picks enough for my liking. I don't know how much of that was because of pressure from Leipold to win now after we got the Parise and Suter deals done, or that was simply his MO.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I liked Fletcher, but he never valued draft picks enough for my liking. I don't know how much of that was because of pressure from Leipold to win now after we got the Parise and Suter deals done, or that was simply his MO.
Philly only had 3 draft picks this year so I'll let that speak for itself.

Reactions: 57special

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Billy G hasn't really done anything but tread water and sign bad contracts up until this point.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Billy G hasn't really done anything but tread water and sign bad contracts up until this point.
What contracts are bad besides Spurgeon? I think even with a NMC the Brodin one is fine. Do you think the Greenway contract was bad? The Fiala bridge? I would even argue that Talbot isn't as bad, but more just meh. I don't blame him for Soucy since he was going to get a pay bump because he was a UFA instead of a RFA still thought it was fair however.

I think a bad contract means you would have to pay to get rid of it and right now the ones he signed don't seem that way besides probably Spurgeon when he is older.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
What contracts are bad besides Spurgeon? I think even with a NMC the Brodin one is fine. Do you think the Greenway contract was bad? The Fiala bridge? I would even argue that Talbot isn't as bad, but more just meh. I don't blame him for Soucy since he was going to get a pay bump because he was a UFA instead of a RFA still thought it was fair however.

I think a bad contract means you would have to pay to get rid of it and right now the ones he signed don't seem that way besides probably Spurgeon when he is older.

What about the ones during this offseason? There is a lot of "low-risk, high-reward" with it leaning more 85/15 into that IMO. Couple of those players are not exactly known to stay healthy and are getting older. And Bonino is one I'm still wondering what, if any, logic behind that signing is. I'm all for listening! But so far, it looks like the friggin Mighty Ducks 1 movie with a bunch of rag tag players who just need a coach to believe in them!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

I tend to agree with you a lot on this point. He loved to trade them for a player based on their name and their stat line through their career. If Leipold was pushing him to "you can't squander Suter/Parise for the first 5 years of those contracts because they'll be garbage on the latter half and we won't be able to afford anyone new" type thing, I guess I understand. Not saying I agree, but I understand. It did look like he knew how to find prospects from other teams though that could/should play well with the Wild. Nino for Clutter was a solid move. Getting Coyle appeared that it could pay off. The funny thing is, when you look at his first rounders, when he had them, it appeared he was hitting decently all things considered where the Wild were picking:

2016 - Kunin
2015 - Ericksson Ek
2014 - Tuch
2012 - Dumba
2011 - Brodin
2010 - Granlund
2009 - Leddy

Seemed after the 1st round though -- he was a below .200 batting average

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I tend to agree with you a lot on this point. He loved to trade them for a player based on their name and their stat line through their career. If Leipold was pushing him to "you can't squander Suter/Parise for the first 5 years of those contracts because they'll be garbage on the latter half and we won't be able to afford anyone new" type thing, I guess I understand. Not saying I agree, but I understand. It did look like he knew how to find prospects from other teams though that could/should play well with the Wild. Nino for Clutter was a solid move. Getting Coyle appeared that it could pay off. The funny thing is, when you look at his first rounders, when he had them, it appeared he was hitting decently all things considered where the Wild were picking:

2016 - Kunin
2015 - Ericksson Ek
2014 - Tuch
2012 - Dumba
2011 - Brodin
2010 - Granlund
2009 - Leddy

Seemed after the 1st round though -- he was a below .200 batting average
You forgot Phillips... swing and a miss... but yes, he did "decent" overall in the first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigT2002

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
What about the ones during this offseason? There is a lot of "low-risk, high-reward" with it leaning more 85/15 into that IMO. Couple of those players are not exactly known to stay healthy and are getting older. And Bonino is one I'm still wondering what, if any, logic behind that signing is. I'm all for listening! But so far, it looks like the friggin Mighty Ducks 1 movie with a bunch of rag tag players who just need a coach to believe in them!
But Guerin didn't sign those....

But its pretty obvious in my mind that Guerin is trying to create cap space and potentially having contracts they can flip at the TDL for picks. I think Staal would've been hard to flip since he puts playoff teams on his NTC. While MOJO will be able to be moved.

Bonino is an analytic darling. He had a selke like season last year. Really like that pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->