Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
A lot depends if they are going to rearrange the teams into bubbles, and who we would be grouped with.

If Kap was given the choice between an elite linemate with zero Russian, or a lesser linemate who is fluent in Russian, I bet he'd take the former.
If we end up doing the regional bubbles that fans have made I saw the Wild in the West bubble of:

Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Vegas, Yotes, Avs, Stars, and Wild.

I think Minnesota will finish 4th or higher.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That would be way too much traveling for us. Hope they go with 4 bubbles of six.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
If we end up doing the regional bubbles that fans have made I saw the Wild in the West bubble of:

Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Vegas, Yotes, Avs, Stars, and Wild.

I think Minnesota will finish 4th or higher.

I saw these too, but the travel MN would require would be outrageous with most of examples.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
That would be way too much traveling for us. Hope they go with 4 bubbles of six.
No.
I saw these too, but the travel MN would require would be outrageous with most of examples.
No.
Wouldn't there be no travel in a bubble?
Yes!
In fact, I've been hearing rumors that the Pepsi Center in Denver is the early front-runner for host arena. Can't remember where I saw that, but it was a day or two ago that I read it.
This also means we wouldn't be looking at a bunch of 9:30pm games. We'd be looking at some, but you'd also get middle-of-the-day games and games that are actually at a reasonable time like 6:30 or 7:30pm, too.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I think bubble means....restricted group. They aren't going to play with no fans.

And, if they go with 3 US divisions, then 2 of us, Dallas and St Louis get a bad deal.

I like 4 groups of six. In that case, it's probably Columbus that gets the worst deal, because they get all the Central teams. Either them or Detroit.

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The damn virus strikes back, experts say things can look pretty bad in January.

We don't even know when next season can start.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
No.

No.

Yes!
In fact, I've been hearing rumors that the Pepsi Center in Denver is the early front-runner for host arena. Can't remember where I saw that, but it was a day or two ago that I read it.
This also means we wouldn't be looking at a bunch of 9:30pm games. We'd be looking at some, but you'd also get middle-of-the-day games and games that are actually at a reasonable time like 6:30 or 7:30pm, too.
I've heard that Ball arena is the front runner as well. I'd imagine that with every team playing at the same arena that there'd likely be games all day again, which I'm in favor of.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I like the idea of "partial bubbles". Allow teams to play in their home arenas and travel. And to cut down on travel, instead of playing a different team each night, have teams face each other in a 2-3 game series. Each NHL city will designate a hotel "bubble" for each team to use during their 3-4 day stay. Kind of like how baseball did it.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I've heard that Ball arena is the front runner as well. I'd imagine that with every team playing at the same arena that there'd likely be games all day again, which I'm in favor of.
Hopefully they rotate the host arenas every few weeks. I know players don't want to be leaving their families for months on end. At the same time IDK if players would be allowed to go home if they are hosting.

It will be hard to do complete bubbles in one host city. I think it may be better just to have travel and no fans. Just keep your fingers crossed no team has an outbreak.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, baseball is played outside for the most part, and in weather that allows players and fans to be outside, which most virus experts think hinders the spread. Hockey is played in the midst of the flu season, which most think will also be prime Covid season. If fans are allowed at arenas, you are asking for trouble unless it is handled very well. If fans are not allowed, then I can't see hockey being profitable, but maybe I haven't thought about it enough. Just using one rink rather than 6-8 per bubble would keep maintenance costs down, I guess, but a lot of arena costs are sunk costs. They can cut ticket and sales staffs down to the bone, and share the gate...still don't see it.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Hopefully they rotate the host arenas every few weeks. I know players don't want to be leaving their families for months on end. At the same time IDK if players would be allowed to go home if they are hosting.

It will be hard to do complete bubbles in one host city. I think it may be better just to have travel and no fans. Just keep your fingers crossed no team has an outbreak.

I think this is the only option. I don't think there is any chance the players would agree to an entire season in a bubble. The playoffs/play-ins were on thing but an entire season, even if it is accelerated is never going to happen.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see how the NHL is financially viable without fans. Their National TV $$ is paltry compared to the other major sports like NBA, NFL, MLB, and Premier League, and local deals just aren't worth that much...maybe some Canadian markets like Toronto and maybe Montreal would be OK.

Are owners prepared to lose money in order to provide hockey for us? Wouldn't think so. I also would bet that players aren't willing to take a pay cut en masse in order for the show to go on.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
I don't see how the NHL is financially viable without fans. Their National TV $$ is paltry compared to the other major sports like NBA, NFL, MLB, and Premier League, and local deals just aren't worth that much...maybe some Canadian markets like Toronto and maybe Montreal would be OK.

Are owners prepared to lose money in order to provide hockey for us? Wouldn't think so. I also would bet that players aren't willing to take a pay cut en masse in order for the show to go on.

I think more along the terms of long term health of the game, father time giving players only a certain window of viability, and the fact that the KHL could eventually grab a ton of market share from the NHL among other reasons.

You can't grow a fan base taking an entire year and a half off. NHL would lose market share to leagues who are willing to bite the bullet for another year or so as well in the NA market alone.

Reactions: MuckOG

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

They’re already going to lose money. Playing kicks the TV money in and lessens the impact.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

I think TV contract with NBC is over at the end of June 2020

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i met gaborik at his 1st public appearance har mar mall summer 2000. he could not speak one word of english. i wish we made our potential next superstar more comfortable.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
well i met gaborik at his 1st public appearance har mar mall summer 2000. he could not speak one word of english. i wish we made our potential next superstar more comfortable.
can you put this to rest? kap already speaks pretty good english he will be fine without a russian speaking center... if it matters that much im sure some teammates can learn some basic words in russian to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad