Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Dumba needs to be on the top unit. Big mistake running him on the 2nd unit all of last season.
I agree, but overall I have no idea what either unit's going to look like or how Evason will run them. If Rossi makes the team it'll be interesting to see if the try to put him in his spot from juniors on the left halfwall, because that's not how we've been doing things the past few years.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I agree, but overall I have no idea what either unit's going to look like or how Evason will run them. If Rossi makes the team it'll be interesting to see if the try to put him in his spot from juniors on the left halfwall, because that's not how we've been doing things the past few years.
They tried it with Granlund a few years ago. Might've worked if he was passing to guys like Fiala and Kaprizov as apposed to Parise and Koivu

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They tried it with Granlund a few years ago. Might've worked if he was passing to guys like Fiala and Kaprizov as apposed to Parise and Koivu
I don't even remember that but you're probably right. Either way I do think the personell changes are going to be a bigger factor than the configuration.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't even remember that but you're probably right. Either way I do think the personell changes are going to be a bigger factor than the configuration.

I can't wait; my hope is that Minnesota found their Bergeron with Rossi and they will build around him and these personal changes will make them a winner.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Mine too.

If Rossi becomes what his ceiling is, he may be on our roster until 2030+.

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
In keeping with the retro theme of the Winter Classic, the Wild should wear Fighting Saints throwbacks for the game.

The Minnesota Fighting Saints were a WHA team that played a few seasons in competition with the North Stars. There were actually two franchises by that name. The first, a WHA charter member, folded midseason in 1976, the second relocated from Cleveland that year but also folded mid-season.

Reactions: GordieGallant

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
In keeping with the retro theme of the Winter Classic, the Wild should wear Fighting Saints throwbacks for the game.

The Minnesota Fighting Saints were a WHA team that played a few seasons in competition with the North Stars. There were actually two franchises by that name. The first, a WHA charter member, folded midseason in 1976, the second relocated from Cleveland that year but also folded mid-season.
If they want to go old school IIRC the St. Paul athletics hockey club was the power house of US hockey in the early 1900s. Their sweaters were red and green also.

however back then they didn’t have logos and it was just the old stripes.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
If they want to go old school IIRC the St. Paul athletics hockey club was the power house of US hockey in the early 1900s. Their sweaters were red and green also.

however back then they didn’t have logos and it was just the old stripes.

Awesome sweaters.

31285270-5899-42-F1-9-DD9-D9-FA4-F0-E20-F5.jpg

Reactions: HotDish

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
While reading the main boards I came across this post:

if you think the cap crunch you see this off-season is already the peak, you are wrong. next off-season will be worse because plenty of gms aren't resolving their cap issues right now. they are all punting them to next off-season. moving cap next year will probably be twice as hard as right now.

I think this quote really sums up what may be the most important offseason for Guerin next season. I totally agree that the crunch may be felt even worse next season.

Right now the Wild have a projected 26,821,411 in cap space next season. Minnesota's RFAs are Ek, Hartman, Fiala, and Kaprizov as it stands. assuming that we don't extend our rentals and we lose someone like greenway/Soucy the wild should have a good chunk of change for the offseason even after working out deals for the RFAs.

Which brings me to my next point for teams that could feel the squeeze.

Tampa Bay : 11mil in proj cap space
Vegas : 5.6 mil
San jose: 12mil
Maple leafs: 13mil

This doesn't take in account for teams that have internal cap ceiling too. It will interesting too see if the Wild could poach an asset next offseason because of cap issues.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I think this quote really sums up what may be the most important offseason for Guerin next season. I totally agree that the crunch may be felt even worse next season.

Right now the Wild have a projected 26,821,411 in cap space next season. Minnesota's RFAs are Ek, Hartman, Fiala, and Kaprizov as it stands. assuming that we don't extend our rentals and we lose someone like greenway/Soucy the wild should have a good chunk of change for the offseason even after working out deals for the RFAs.

This doesn't take in account for teams that have internal cap ceiling too. It will interesting too see if the Wild could poach an asset next offseason because of cap issues.
While true, I do think that expansion will resolve a lot of potential cap troubles for other teams. They make a deal with Seattle to take a bigger contract and suddenly it’s not so bad for them.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I don't think we'll be in much of a position to poach. Bringing back those 4 guys could very easily be upwards of $20 million of that $26 million. Then you have potential bonus overages with Kaprizov and maybe Rossi. Then you still have to fill out the roster with another 2-3 defensemen and another 3-4 forwards, though they should all be on the lower end of the pay scale. Even if we lose Soucy/Greenway, neither of them are making all that much and still have to be replaced.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
While true, I do think that expansion will resolve a lot of potential cap troubles for other teams. They make a deal with Seattle to take a bigger contract and suddenly it’s not so bad for them.
very possible, but with how many deals went bad with vegas I could see teams just protect their 7-3-1 or 8-1 and just saying fine pick who is left.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Fiala (7), Kaprizov (6), Eriksson Ek (4) and Hartman (2) get $19M and Seattle takes Greenway:

X - Rossi - Fiala
Kaprizov - X - Zuccarello
Parise - Eriksson Ek - X
X - Sturm - Hartman
Rask

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Soucy - X
X

Talbot
Kahkonen

I'm sitting at ~$9M in space and needing to fill all of the X's. Even you assume that two of them are going to be ELC's (say, Boldy at #1LW and Addison at #3RD), I'm still only at ~$7.2M with #2/#3C, #3RW, #4LW and #7D holes to plug. And this is before any 2020-21 bonus overages.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If Fiala (7), Kaprizov (6), Eriksson Ek (4) and Hartman (2) get $19M and Seattle takes Greenway:

X - Rossi - Fiala
Kaprizov - Haula - Zuccarello
Parise - Eriksson Ek - X
X - Sturm - Hartman
Rask

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Soucy - X
X

Talbot
Kahkonen

I'm sitting at ~$9M in space and needing to fill all of the X's. Even you assume that two of them are going to be ELC's (say, Boldy at #1LW and Addison at #3RD), I'm still only at ~$7.2M with #2/#3C, #3RW, #4LW and #7D holes to plug. And this is before any 2020-21 bonus overages.

There you go. Fixed it for you.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I was looking at morning puck this morning and I noticed that the Preds played Bonino at the 1C for half of the games in the play in series. He even had the most TOI as a forward one game. Does anyone know why/how he did? I don’t think the Wild will play him at 1C, but it is interesting to see a team throw a 3c on the top line.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

X - Rossi - Fiala
Kaprizov - X - Zuccarello
Parise - Eriksson Ek - X
X - Sturm - Hartman
Rask

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Soucy - X
X

Talbot
Kahkonen

After seeing the prices being paid in this year's free agency, I would say that you're about $1M high on your estimates.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Ask Russo: Marco Rossi's chances, Matt Dumba's future, trades, FAs and more

We talked about this Mailbag in the trade thread, but I wanted to point out something I found interesting.

Pretty much oit sounds like there is a high chance Rossi starts with the Wild and at least get 9 games before they keep him up or loan him to europe etc.

However, sounds like if Rossi plays they will move Johansson to wing in Russo's mind.

Parise - Bonino - Fiala
Kap - Rossi - Zucc
Johansson - Ek - Bjugstad
Greenway - Rask - Hartman

Sturm to Iowa and find a trade for Foligno.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Ask Russo: Marco Rossi's chances, Matt Dumba's future, trades, FAs and more

We talked about this Mailbag in the trade thread, but I wanted to point out something I found interesting.

Pretty much oit sounds like there is a high chance Rossi starts with the Wild and at least get 9 games before they keep him up or loan him to europe etc.

However, sounds like if Rossi plays they will move Johansson to wing in Russo's mind.

Parise - Bonino - Fiala
Kap - Rossi - Zucc
Johansson - Ek - Bjugstad
Greenway - Rask - Hartman

Sturm to Iowa and find a trade for Foligno.

I'd like to see Russo try clarify whether or not Rossi can play in the AHL. From the tidbits we know about his relationship with ZSC Lions, he should fit the Honka loophole and be AHL eligable.

Russo kind of just says due to the CHL agreement he can't, but I think it's likely he didn't give a passing thought to the impact of Rossi being an import on that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd like to see Russo try clarify whether or not Rossi can play in the AHL. From the tidbits we know about his relationship with ZSC Lions, he should fit the Honka loophole and be AHL eligable.

Russo kind of just says due to the CHL agreement he can't, but I think it's likely he didn't give a passing thought to the impact of Rossi being an import on that.
I believe Rossi himself has already committed to a DEL team if he doesn't make the NHL. Also, isn't it even up in the air right now if the AHL is even going to play due to money issues without fans?

That's why Menell is in the KHL this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad