Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Ox

Let's Play Hockey!
Nov 5, 2019
North Star State
Hi new thread!

I'm going all in this year and getting two KK sweaters for the new season.

A Green Kirill and a White Kaapo

Oh hell....probably a Winter Classic Fiala too.

Reactions: Wild11MN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There has been no mention of Mason being fired. I like it...time for some accountability. When I look at what ARI did with Kuemper, and our poor goaltending in general, I can't help but feel that we can do better. It is such an important position.

I would hope that we move on from Galchenyuk, and not offer him a contract. IMO, we are better off playing Kunin at C, or keeping Mikko for another year. Sturm looks more than ready to be on the team. Fast, long, and won't make the mistakes that Galch will. We might have to ice a #2PP with a non C taking draws...not that we will notice a difference.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we keep Koivu for another year, Eriksson Ek has to become a top 6 center. If your plan is to run Ek, Sturm and Koivu as 3 of your centers, one has to play 2C.

If you don't like Ek as 2C, and you go out and get another 2C, you don't need Koivu.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If we keep Koivu for another year, Eriksson Ek has to become a top 6 center. If your plan is to run Ek, Sturm and Koivu as 3 of your centers, one has to play 2C.

If you don't like Ek as 2C, and you go out and get another 2C, you don't need Koivu.
Koivu can come back as the 4th line center with Sturm breaking in on the wing. Would give you a little bit of depth in the bottom 6 at least. You would still need to find a top 6 center

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Koivu can come back as the 4th line center with Sturm breaking in on the wing. Would give you a little bit of depth in the bottom 6 at least. You would still need to find a top 6 center

And then you need to move Donato, Greenway, Foligno, Kunin or Hartman to make room for Koivu. Is it worth it? Rask is already the 13th forward and he's not likely going anywhere.

Just cut Koivu loose. Let it be over with.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And then you need to move Donato, Greenway, Foligno, Kunin or Hartman to make room for Koivu. Is it worth it? Rask is already the 13th forward and he's not likely going anywhere.

Just cut Koivu loose. Let it be over with.
It's a no-brainer if the other option is signing Foligno to an extension.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's a no-brainer if the other option is signing Foligno to an extension.

Foligno is already under contract for next year. This situation doesn't affect Foligno's extension.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Foligno is already under contract for next year. This situation doesn't affect Foligno's extension.
Which means that he should be dealt this summer. With him gone you need a 4LW. Bringing Koivu back and playing Sturm there is an option. Any kind of center depth is a good thing. I like Sturm a lot but there's no guarantee that he steps in and plays well.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Which means that he should be dealt this summer. With him gone you need a 4LW. Bringing Koivu back and playing Sturm there is an option. Any kind of center depth is a good thing. I like Sturm a lot but there's no guarantee that he steps in and plays well.

I don't see the urgency to trade Foligno. We're not tight up against the cap, he was very good this year for what he is. You're creating a problem just to fit your solution.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't see the urgency to trade Foligno. We're not tight up against the cap, he was very good this year for what he is. You're creating a problem just to fit your solution.
It's not creating a problem to trade an overpaid 4th liner at his highest value. It's common sense

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's not creating a problem to trade an overpaid 4th liner at his highest value. It's common sense

It's not the trade deadline anymore, what do you think you're going to get for him?
Besides, it's probably a moot point anyway. From the sound of it, Foligno isn't going anywhere.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I thought we might’ve been able to fetch a 1st for Foligno at the deadline. They were paying a ton for some pretty shitty players. A bit of a miss in my book if you could get a 2nd or a decent prospect

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not the trade deadline anymore, what do you think you're going to get for him?
Besides, it's probably a moot point anyway. From the sound of it, Foligno isn't going anywhere.
Again, he's an overpaid 4th line player. Take the best offer you can get and use the $2M in cap space elsewhere.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Again, he's an overpaid 4th line player. Take the best offer you can get and use the $2M in cap space elsewhere.

Where? What's your plan? We have plenty of space to sign the three guys we need. What would be the point in moving Foligno for a 4th round pick just to have an extra 2M in unused cap space?

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
It seems like no one likes grit anymore, but I feel it is essential especially on the 4th line. Foligno can and has moved up to the 3rd line when we are desperate. He also seems to motivate others to step up their game too.

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I also have to say when Foligno moved up to play with EK and Kunin they seemed to have a bit of chemistry.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like no one likes grit anymore, but I feel it is essential especially on the 4th line. Foligno can and has moved up to the 3rd line when we are desperate. He also seems to motivate others to step up their game too.
There is something to be said about Foligno be universally liked by the team. Yes he is an overpaid 4th liner but unless there are pressing salary issues I have no issue keeping him.

Reactions: DRichter

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There is something to be said about Foligno be universally liked by the team. Yes he is an overpaid 4th liner but unless there are pressing salary issues I have no issue keeping him.
I like Foligno as well, but his contract is up and he's already being paid quite a bit more than he's worth. And he's at an age where you don't really want to give him a long term deal. If he's willing to re-sign at around $2M per for 2-3 years then I'm fine with keeping him around. I doubt he's willing to do that though, because there's always someone that's willing to overpay for perceived toughness.

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I like Foligno as well, but his contract is up and he's already being paid quite a bit more than he's worth. And he's at an age where you don't really want to give him a long term deal. If he's willing to re-sign at around $2M per for 2-3 years then I'm fine with keeping him around. I doubt he's willing to do that though, because there's always someone that's willing to overpay for perceived toughness.
Foligno Contract up after 20 / 21 season

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Guerin offered a blunt assessment when asked about Greenway on Russo's latest podcast:

"Greenie needs to take a big time step. I mean, we've talked about this and he knows how I feel. But he needs to, ah, he knows what's expected of him. He's gotta have a more dedicated off-season, he's gotta dedicate himself to the game a lot more and its time for him to take a step in maturity and work ethic and preparation and all these things."

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

This was juicy.
  • Thinks you want 1 line-driver per line
  • Thinks Kaprizov and Fiala will be on same pp, but different lines. Though he says if they have good chemistry and it makes sense, could see them together.
  • This might be a situation at 9OA where you draft BCA (best center available). I think his rationale was if two players are the same, you can pick by position
  • Greenway needs to dial it in and commit more

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Guerin offered a blunt assessment when asked about Greenway on Russo's latest podcast:

"Greenie needs to take a big time step. I mean, we've talked about this and he knows how I feel. But he needs to, ah, he knows what's expected of him. He's gotta have a more dedicated off-season, he's gotta dedicate himself to the game a lot more and its time for him to take a step in maturity and work ethic and preparation and all these things."
I enjoy how blunt Billy has been this offseason

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

This was juicy.
  • Thinks you want 1 line-driver per line
  • Thinks Kaprizov and Fiala will be on same pp, but different lines. Though he says if they have good chemistry and it makes sense, could see them together.
  • This might be a situation at 9OA where you draft BCA (best center available). I think his rationale was if two players are the same, you can pick by position
  • Greenway needs to dial it in and commit more

This is how I've always thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad