Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Tyson Jost for Nico Sturm

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Smart move by Sakic. For those who don't know, Sturm is a good player. 6'3", very fast, good on FO's, plays both ways, PK's, has a bit of skill. For some reason Evason and Guerin don't like him, and relegate him to 4th line, minimal duties....I don't get it. He is a better player than Bjugstad, Dewar, and the like....I like him better than Jost. The only thing I can think of is that MN knows they will have trouble re-signing him as a UFA, but then I have to wonder why they traded for a more expensive cap hit. Jost is now 24yo... I don't see where he has much upside at this point.
This trade is :thumbd:from this Wild fan. Sturm always reminded me of a bigger Erik Haula( when he was fast) back when he was with the Wild and he was similarly undervalued.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Minnesota made a huge commitment to change the culture of their team by trading Eric Staal and then buying out Parise and Suter. By all accounts Jost is a fantastic person with a great work ethic, and that more than anything is probably why Guerin made this trade to bring in another guy who can help create a good culture in the Minnesota lockerroom.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I will say Jost is much better when he’s got a big line driver like Nuke by his side and the Wild do have big strong guys like Foligno and Greenway who may be able to give Jost enough space and time to be more effective. If he doesn’t have that space he’s completely anonymous. He works hard but he’s not some energy line buzzsaw like a Tyler Motte for example. It makes the fit hard especially on a team like the Avs.
I agree with this and think he will do better in Minnesota as compared to Colorado. That said, I still don't see that much in him. I think his skill level is that of a skilled third line player, and obviously all of his physical attributes are below average. If there was such a thing as a skill fourth line he would fit perfectly. There isn't, ao I still don't really know where to play him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sturm is a useful 4th line center, but that's about it. He has straight line speed, but not much in terms of skill. He might work in a 3rd line role and potentially the PK, but that's about it.
And was one of the few on the team who can win a FO, which MN desperately needs. This trade, together with the Greenway signing, is a strong indication that Guerin will not even try to re-sign Fiala. I don't get it.

Reactions: Minnesota

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree with this and think he will do better in Minnesota as compared to Colorado. That said, I still don't see that much in him. I think his skill level is that of a skilled third line player, and obviously all of his physical attributes are below average. If there was such a thing as a skill fourth line he would fit perfectly. There isn't, ao I still don't really know where to play him.
Being one of the faster players in the league and 6'3" are below average attributes? Wha? I mean, he's no Mackinnon or Makar skating wise, but he is fast. There are also zero character concerns with Sturm...his gf is from MN, so he was adapting to life here very well. Jost is not going to turn around the locker room...that's crazy thinking....

OOps, sorry...you are talking about Jost. nvm. Agree with you 100%. He's underwhelming everytime I've seen him, especially relative to his draft position. I don't see that he's much of an improvement over Connor Dewar, myself.

Guerin must be hoping that he is a late bloomer, or merely doing a trade to shake up the team, which it needs. I think Sakic made a shrewd move.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow1

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I like both of these players. Jost has higher upside, I think, but Sturm fits Colorado's needs more.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Jost is a guy who is in every battle, but loses 90% of them. The lack of quickness just kills him. One thing he is elite at is drawing penalties. Every other aspect of his game is just painfully average and you can't be a net positive player in the NHL without one above average skill.

Sturm fits like a glove, he can skate, he can kill penalties, and he can win FOs. Everything they wanted out pf Jost and couldn't get. Absurd trade from Wild pov especially seeing it hinders them next year and allows their biggest division rival to add more because they cleared cap.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Must be a cap move to setup another trade.
That and size of a center. So more size in the D zone essentially, and cap space for maybe another move if they can get a 1 year guy since they’ll have future signings to make

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The last couple years I had hoped Jost would become the Avs new Stephane Yelle, but he just couldn't build on last year.

For all the critiques he'll get about strength, speed, etc. He still managed to draw plenty of penalties which came from that work ethic.
Slot him on the 3rd line in Minny, and I think they will be pleased. (His faceoffs need work, but that is a skill that can be learned through practice and offseason work)

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Sturm probably a better fit for their 4th line at the moment, creates some cap space both this year & the next because of Jost's upcoming QO.

Jost gets a change of scenery with the Wild which could be just what he needs , maybe some untapped potential there.

Edit: Jost has 1.5 years remaining oops

Reactions: Daz28

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sorry, Jost is not going to replace Gaudreau, JEE, Hartman, and eventually, Rossi....maybe even Marat. As much as Wild fans have complained about Gaudreau, he is a better skater, puck battler, and two way C than Jost, and is signed at 1.2M for next year. His offense is even coming around a bit, though it could be argued that i could play between Fiala and Boldy and score points.
I don't understand what Guerin is doing, but this is not the first time I have said this.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sturm probably a better fit for their 4th line at the moment, creates some cap space both this year & the next because of Jost's upcoming QO.

Jost gets a change of scenery with the Wild which could be just what he needs , maybe some untapped potential there.
Jost is signed for next year at 2M, and is 24 yo. I don't see much, if any untapped potential. all he has going for him is his draft position, at this point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jost is a great bloke, but the brother cannot hold onto the puck for more than a second. It is awful to see because he has a good shot and hands, but doesn't have the skating ability or frame/toughness whatsoever, so he can't stickhandle himself out of small spaces (which on NHL ice is 80%+ of the game) and just constantly loses possession.

Reactions: Slurpeelover27

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Don't really get this at all from the Wild. Sturm is better than Jost, is literally the only 50% faceoff guy on the team (Jost is sub 40%), and very likely wouldn't have cost more than 2 million Jost is set to make next year.

On top of that, it helps the Avs clear room for the deadline.

Guerin wants to create a new culture in that lockerroom. Jost is a great character guy and hard worker. He'll be a perfect fit there.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I will say Jost is much better when he’s got a big line driver like Nuke by his side and the Wild do have big strong guys like Foligno and Greenway who may be able to give Jost enough space and time to be more effective. If he doesn’t have that space he’s completely anonymous. He works hard but he’s not some energy line buzzsaw like a Tyler Motte for example. It makes the fit hard especially on a team like the Avs.

Everyone is better when they have Nuke on their line.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
With Jost there is a chance he actually breaks out. I know Avs fans have ragged on him a lot and isn't that enticing to many fans, but he's a bit underrated at this point.

Don't get me wrong he was definitely a bottom 6 forward on the Avs, but the Wild has a better system and wingers that is better suited for Jost. If it took Jost longer to make the NHL he'd still have that new toy shine like Tippett does. The trade makes sense for both teams, and personally I think the Wild and Avs are in different stages so it doesn't matter if it helps the Avs or not, as long as it makes sense for the Wild.

It says a lot that the Avs front office, known for being good at analytics and having great pro scouts, chose to move on from a young C they drafted despite the fact that they have virtually no centers in their organization to fill the 3C spot any time soon (and maybe not even 2C if Newhook pans out more as a winger than center).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad