Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Tyson Jost for Nico Sturm

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Don't really get this at all from the Wild. Sturm is better than Jost, is literally the only 50% faceoff guy on the team (Jost is sub 40%), and very likely wouldn't have cost more than 2 million Jost is set to make next year.

On top of that, it helps the Avs clear room for the deadline.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Jost hustles and draws penalties, but he has a hard time creating possession time in the offensive zone.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Never seen a player impact a game so neutrally than Tyson Jost. Not necessarily a net negative player on the ice but doesn't bring anything that useful either. Works hard and does play hard but the development just never happened.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Good trade for the avs.
I still think there’s a slight chance Jost has his breakout season and becomes a top 6 guy, just wasn’t going to happen with Colorado. Wish him the best.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
If Jost had Sturm's size, he would be amazing. Alas he doesn't, so he's meh. Given that Sturm was traded for him 1-1, I have to assume he's meh as well. This is nothing more than a setup trade for Sleepy Joe me thinks.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I will say Jost is much better when he’s got a big line driver like Nuke by his side and the Wild do have big strong guys like Foligno and Greenway who may be able to give Jost enough space and time to be more effective. If he doesn’t have that space he’s completely anonymous. He works hard but he’s not some energy line buzzsaw like a Tyler Motte for example. It makes the fit hard especially on a team like the Avs.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It's definitely a surprising trade. Some Avs fans - regrettably, myself included - had hope that Jost could be a 3C for Colorado after his strong season last year. The numbers on the surface don't look great (17 points in 54 games), but consider that in his final 28GP he had 14 points with a +15 rating while exclusively playing center. He also was decent in the circle (46.8%) considering how notoriously bad he's been there.

Clearly that was smoke and mirrors due to a combination of playing in a weak division + playing with Valeri Nichushkin, who props up everyone he plays with. This year Jost has been brutal, 14 points in 58 GP with an abysmal 39.3 success rate on face-offs. Colorado's PK also stinks, and while that's not all on him, it's worth noting considering he plays there.

I wish him all the best in Minnesota but am simultaneously glad he's no longer living rent free in most Avalanche fans heads.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He’s not getting a top 6 role anywhere in the NHL tbf.

Ryan Hartman was a 4th line Wing last year, and is Centering Kaprizov and Zuccerello.

Frederick Gaudreau was a 28 year old with 103 GP, and 18 career points before this year and is centering Boldy and Fiala.

No better place to get a shot at top 6 C i guess, because the Center can play third wheel on those lines.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
that's some terrible asset management and player evaluation by Guerin/Wild...

loses pitlick (who has played better than both Jost and Sturm) on waivers, then a few weeks later adds to his cap costs next season... net impact is downgraded depth & impact at a higher cap hit. Would not be pleased if I were a wild fan (and i'm relatively bullish on Jost overall).

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I will say Jost is much better when he’s got a big line driver like Nuke by his side and the Wild do have big strong guys like Foligno and Greenway who may be able to give Jost enough space and time to be more effective. If he doesn’t have that space he’s completely anonymous. He works hard but he’s not some energy line buzzsaw like a Tyler Motte for example. It makes the fit hard especially on a team like the Avs.

I'd guess that's the plan. Greenway-Ek-Foligno isn't getting broken up for Jost, but in the top six we have Kaprizov-Zuccarello and Fiala-Boldy as our wing duos, and the centers there are just kinda whatever happened to be left over right now. If Jost looks good when he's got play drivers on his lines, then Minnesota could be an excellent fit for him. Four play drivers at top six wing spots desperately looking for a center.

MoreLikeTurdCrapley

Jun 30, 2019
39535F06-0E47-48BE-BF4F-CC15B51849FE.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad