Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Tyson Jost for Nico Sturm

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Soooo... Chiarot to Colorado?

He sure would be (1st pick or good prospect), but it's a small price to pay if he can help Colorado in some capacity to not choke like they did every so often, not unlike some versions of the Laffs in the West

This is not a Chiarot thread.

This one isn't even about a defenseman.

I'm starting to miss the Drouin/Price to the Avs garbage at this point.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm still gonna cheer for Jost, but Sturm is a better fit for that role. I think Jost is a bad fit with the Avs but might excel else where.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Sturm should be a nice fit for the Avs. He has the best motor of any Wild player since Parise and is content in a PK/4th line role. Nice piece for a real contender.

Wild are finding out they are not a real contender so they can roll the dice on Jost needing a fresh start. It’s a not that outlandish given his solid performance a year ago.
Jost has flashes and is a great character player. It's not like he's ancient either. If the Avs didn't need all the space they can get, probably don't need to look at moving him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Depends on which Jost you get. Last year’s Jost? Perfect fit for Minny’s middle six. This year’s Jost? Perfect fit for Iowa’s middle six.
yes sometimes a guy just needs a better role and a change of scenery. I think Jost has it in him but you obviously watch him all the time vs my sporatic viewings

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
yes sometimes a guy just needs a better role and a change of scenery. I think Jost has it in him but you obviously watch him all the time vs my sporatic viewings
I still like Jost. He doesn't have great tools but his hockey sense is fine. Could do well next to a Greenway. He was great next to nuke. But nuke also made anyone better.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Oh definitely agreed. Sorry re-reading my post it sounds like I’m saying he’s cooked, but he could easily turn it around. Just wasn’t happening in Denver.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Everyone thinks it's clearing cap, but I think that was just a side effect of the trade. Looks like Sakic is just building the team he wants for the cup run. Simple as that, and I like it. Shrewd isn't a word you use when your taking your big shot.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I still like Jost. He doesn't have great tools but his hockey sense is fine. Could do well next to a Greenway. He was great next to nuke. But nuke also made anyone better.
Oh definitely agreed. Sorry re-reading my post it sounds like I’m saying he’s cooked, but he could easily turn it around. Just wasn’t happening in Denver.
yes i watched him all the way back when he was in Penticton. Adjusting to the NHL can go sideways sometimes and without elite wheels and agility it's extremely tough for a 5'11 guy to find time and space. Probably why as you say he did so well with Nuke. Was hoping my Canucks could acquire him and bring him back to BC in a middle six role.
TJ has Sam Bennett vibes to me....not probably as good but i think he's gonna really flourish in a bigger role as he moves into his prime years as you said he has a very good skillset and IQ.

I think Joe is on a big fish for you guys and Sturm is a good 4th liner so it's not gonna be a loss. Like the Manson move too.

It is time to go all in respectfully as it's not a closing window or anything but it's about to get crazy expensive to retain many on that roster

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
yes i watched him all the way back when he was in Penticton. Adjusting to the NHL can go sideways sometimes and without elite wheels and agility it's extremely tough for a 5'11 guy to find time and space. Probably why as you say he did so well with Nuke. Was hoping my Canucks could acquire him and bring him back to BC in a middle six role.
TJ has Sam Bennett vibes to me....not probably as good but i think he's gonna really flourish in a bigger role as he moves into his prime years as you said he has a very good skillset and IQ.

I think Joe is on a big fish for you guys and Sturm is a good 4th liner so it's not gonna be a loss. Like the Manson move too.

It is time to go all in respectfully as it's not a closing window or anything but it's about to get crazy expensive to retain many on that roster

We actually got cheaper with this move too so that's a big plus.

Reactions: sting101

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'll be disappointed I'm sure but I hope Sturm and Bjugstad do the spiderman point meme at some point in our next matchup.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It’s just a small upgrade for Colorado, but I like Sturm a lot more than Jost on a 4th line. I also like the cap savings this year and next.

I’d honestly be shocked if Jost broke out in Minni. I guess anything is possible, but he’s just not good. He doesn’t belong in a top-9 on a contender and doesn’t play as tough as you’d like for a 4th liner, just kind of a weird player.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It says a lot that the Avs front office, known for being good at analytics and having great pro scouts, chose to move on from a young C they drafted despite the fact that they have virtually no centers in their organization to fill the 3C spot any time soon (and maybe not even 2C if Newhook pans out more as a winger than center).

Some players just need a change of scenery and a different system.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't dislike this for either team. I liked Sturm and his never quit attitude but he wasn't rising up the ranks and with Jost at least we have the possibility he might slot in higher?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad