Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Tyson Jost for Nico Sturm

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Like this for Minny, even if Jost just tops out as a useful bottom 6er

Good gamble

Not bad for the Avs either, Sturm is a decent player and is dirt cheap

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Probably just throwing darts at the the dartboard by trading Sturm, who we weren’t going to be able to bring back and has been scratched, for Jost.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Sturm is a useful 4th line center, but that's about it. He has straight line speed, but not much in terms of skill. He might work in a 3rd line role and potentially the PK, but that's about it.

That is honestly an upgrade on Jost. I think part of it is that Jost just didn't have the athletic abilities to play the faster style the Avs employ. I also think part of it is that he got stuck in a rut and kept doing the same things that weren't working. He seemed like a really good guy, and a really hard working, so I do wish him success in Minny. I will warn Wild fans ahead of time, Jost plays like he's a power forward - but not in a good way. I've seen plenty of little guys that play big, where they are just ultra aggressive and in your face. Jost is the first smaller guy that plays big in a negative way. He will slow down in the corners as if he's going to muscle someone away from him, only to get bodied and give up the puck. He'll try power moves that result in giveaways because the slightest bump sends him on his ass. He'll try hard though, I'll give him that.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Sturm is a useful 4th line center, but that's about it. He has straight line speed, but not much in terms of skill. He might work in a 3rd line role and potentially the PK, but that's about it.
Which is exactly what the Avs need, the bottom 6 has been caved in all season and needed a shakeup.

Makes sense for both teams, I wouldn't be surprised if Jost breaks out and is your #2/3 center next season. Definitely have the system and wingers to help Jost break out.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Jost was such an exciting prospect for the Fighting Sioux. Really thought his game would translate better at the NHL level. Hes in his 5thfull season now. Fresh start might do him good.

Never should have been rushed
ND operates under a two year system
Nobody thought he was ready in the NCAA

Reactions: Go19

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
The only thing I need to know about Sturm : can he win board battles? I swear everytime Jost dump or goes along the board with the puck the other team come out with it :laugh: Sometimes it looked like he was going to be that prototype 3rd-4th liner but kinda disappointed at the end. He has good skating, agility and isn't afraid to get hit (always surprised he came out uninjured) but to me he wasn't going to help at all in the playoffs. Hate that he's with the Wild but still hoping he can figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad