Mike Commodore goes off on Babcock (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The Red Wings won their previous game with Modano in the lineup and he played every game leading up to then since coming back from injury (had a goal in the previous game before Nashville in a game vs St. Louis where they were throttled 10-3 and Modano was only on the ice for a single goal against) and then out of the blue Babcock just decides to scratch Modano for that game vs Minnesota even though he played every game leading up to then since coming back from injury. The Wings were battling to clinch the Central in every game leading up to that one vs Minnesota, and they even won their previous one vs Nashville with Modano in the lineup.

And? It's a lie that he was scratched in his last game. He was a poor producer playing low minutes and scratched in playoffs when you would think they would need him if he and his 15 points in 40 games was valuable. Let me guess, Babcock was trying to screw him out of some other meaningless playoff milestone?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No, because it actually happened, he benched Modano and he didn’t get his 1500th game. Bush league move.
Far be it from me to miss an opportunity to bash Babcock, but does anyone think that with 4 games left he was counting how many games Modano had played in his career to that point, and then intentionally scratched him in the 4th last game so that Modano would miss 1500 by one game?

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Red Wings won their previous game with Modano in the lineup and he played every game leading up to then since coming back from injury (had a goal in the previous game before Nashville in a game vs St. Louis where they were throttled 10-3 and Modano was only on the ice for a single goal against) and then out of the blue Babcock just decides to scratch Modano for that game vs Minnesota even though he played every game leading up to then since coming back from injury. The Wings were battling to clinch the Central in every game leading up to that one vs Minnesota, and they even won their previous one vs Nashville with Modano in the lineup.

No I am not revising history, it was a fishy way to scratch Modano it wouldn't make sense if he was scratched based on lack of ability if he played literally every game up until then.

The truth is that Commodore probably knows about the nuances a hell of a lot more than we do since he's actually talked to Modano about it, whether you like or not.

Not too mention Odog got a text from Modano while on the air reminding him of how much of a turd Buscher Babcock is.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And? It's a lie that he was scratched in his last game. He was a poor producer playing low minutes and scratched in playoffs when you would think they would need him if he and his 15 points in 40 games was valuable. Let me guess, Babcock was trying to screw him out of some other meaningless playoff milestone?

Lol my friend, he likely minced his word a tad and meant "one of the last games of the season".

And "poor producer"? He was playing 4th line duties, obviously he's not gonna be killing it. He even had a goal 2 games prior to that. And again, he played every game leading up to that with the Wings battling to clinch the Central every step of the way, like I said, it's a fishy way to scratch a respected vet who needs those games to get his milestone (and it's a 4th line player for crying out loud).

Don't try and accuse me of being dishonest when it was in fact you who never looked up the facts in their entirety. Like I said, Commodore probably knows the specifics of the story better than both of us seeing as he talked to him in person about it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Far be it from me to miss an opportunity to bash Babcock, but does anyone think that with 4 games left he was counting how many games Modano had played in his career to that point, and then intentionally scratched him in the 4th last game so that Modano would miss 1500 by one game?
Yes.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Remember when Wilson coached the leafs? There were polls where he was the most hated coach in the NHL. The coach nhl players didn't want to play for.

Then we got Randy....gasp..he made it mandatory for NHL players stretch and warm up prior to practice. His former star players, Getzlaf and Perry hated playing for him.

Shockingly after the Leafs had Randy...the ducks again hired him to coach the very same stars that hated him the first time around.

The blue jackets were an incredible team a couple years, and Torts won the coach of the year resulting from that year. Guess what...he players called a meeting with him reportedly to tell him how he needs to change.

Seeing a pattern here?

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He was on the golf course with Modano and Modano told him the story.

It's like he said, all you need to do is get your skates on the ice for 2 seconds and you get a game played. Most coaches respect their legends and will do that. Babcock just didn't let him do it.

Modano was just too nice of a guy to grill Babcock over it.

If Babs did this MAYBE it was because Modano was not the best citizen/not a gud pro.

As another poster noted he sure looked after Marleau when it would clearly have benefited the team resting him for the playoffs.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I have issues with Babs. But Commodore "going off" on him again isn't relevant to anything. He does this once or twice a year, because he legit hates Mike.

Babcock could quit hockey to become a volunteer fire fighter, and in 6 months Commodore would go off on him claiming how "everyone hates your guts" and something, something, something. It's completely irrelevant.
Because nobody cares about commodore, says something controversial about the leafs coach for the millionth time = click bait

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So, to recap, everyone agrees Commodore has ZERO credibility, yet we pivot off that to extrapolate about Babcock. In a serious world, this isn't a thread, it's ignored and we wait for relevant commentary to discuss. Always the lowest common demoninator, why guys like Simmons have had such a long career, just be outrageous and they will react.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Lol my friend, he likely minced his word a tad and meant "one of the last games of the season".

And "poor producer"? He was playing 4th line duties, obviously he's not gonna be killing it. He even had a goal 2 games prior to that. And again, he played every game leading up to that with the Wings battling to clinch the Central every step of the way, like I said, it's a fishy way to scratch a respected vet who needs those games to get his milestone (and it's a 4th line player for crying out loud).

Don't try and accuse me of being dishonest when it was in fact you who never looked up the facts in their entirety. Like I said, Commodore probably knows the specifics of the story better than both of us seeing as he talked to him in person about it.

Likely minced words indeed. Amazing how it changes the entire concept of the claim when you go from "scratched me on the last game of the season" to "oh well I guess it wasn't the last game of the season but the one where we were trying to clinch before a swing of 2 out of 3 on the road, all against superior teams to that one including back to backs with Chicago".

Yup over his last 20 games the guy played over 10 minutes a whopping 10 times. Hard to imagine why he wouldn't be seen as being of key value and maybe someone else might better serve them? Not like that lines up at all with his playoff usage and several missed games. Obviously a clever ploy to deny him a "milestone" that literally means nothing to anyone. I mean, you'd probably have no problem listing off the players (without looking) in the 1500 club, right? Because, like, it's such a recognized milestone?

It's a nice touch saying he scored a goal or that he was -1. Of course he was also worse at +/- than all but 4 players, if that's your stat.

Not sure how you figured "I never looked up the facts" as I seem to be one of the only people in multiple threads that actually IS aware of the facts. When you state things that are lies or propagate others lies, guess what? It's dishonest. The simple solution is to actually state the facts and stop propagating the lies. Or you could do what another poster here did and say "whatever" when someone shows you it is incorrect.

Commodore is an ass who has been spreading lies and falsehoods going on a decade now. Even in his own case, he places all blame on Babcock and never once accepts responsibility or provides any context. Commodore got signed to 5 years then waived (not one team interested in his services) and bought out. Signs a base deal and Detroit deems him not good enough. Trades him to Tampa where he plays 13 games with no points. Proceeds to play with 2 AHL teams (4 Pts in 22 GP) then off to KHL (4 Pts in 27 GP). 6 teams, at least 6 coaches and 3 leagues all reached the exact same conclusion. Does that sound like Babcock was the issue or at some point do we expect Commodore to look in the mirror?

Chris Chelios. A 44 year old puts up 11 Pts in 81 GP, then 45 year old puts up 11 Pts in 71 GP, then 46 year old puts up 12 PTS in 69 GP then 47 year old puts up 0 Pts in 28 GP. Then goes to AHL. Then plays 7 with another team. Apparently Babcock is a bad guy for thinking he may have better options? Also worth considering the source. Guy is known as a bit of an idiot (a la Roenick type). Leave us not forget, he also has a previous record of not taking responsibility for actions (at least as part of a group) from the 98 Olympics and I believe skating a DUI on a technicality?

Don't know about you but every one of those screams coach trying to give his team the best chance of winning. Guys well past their prime and supported by evidence of what multiple other organizations and coaches saw in them.

The solution lied in their own hands: be better players.

All this aside, I have no doubt Babcock can be difficult and makes lots of decisions I wouldn't make. I also have no doubt there are players who don't like him. What I don't agree with is assessing him based on lies or misinformation or spreading such. What I also don't agree with is not actually looking at the context. In each of those cases, looking at the entirety of his decisions, they seem pretty well founded.

In all honesty, the recent Spezza decision is probably the only one of that group that seems odd and not necessarily supportable.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So this is the version we're sticking to now? It's no longer "Many people connected with Modano have confirmed Babcock sat him at 1499 "?

Whatever the game was, that’s not the point. Buscher’s still a prick and everyone confirms tha fact.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Because nobody cares about commodore, says something controversial about the leafs coach for the millionth time = click bait

That's kind of it. If not for running his mouth, there probably isn't a soul who would even know he exists anymore. Heaven forbid he consider trying something like coaching or managing or anything. Just keep on playing the woe is me victim card instead of ever accepting any responsibility, growing a set and making something of yourself. No no. Blame the world for your downfall.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Whatever the game was, that’s not the point. Buscher’s still a prick and everyone confirms tha fact.

It's pretty bloody significant to the narrative. Also, not everyone "confirms" it. Players who have played for him have chosen to rejoin him, hire him and recommend others to play for him.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
And he sat Spezza on opening night against his former team just to be a DB. O'Dog said as much and I agree.

We know you agree, because instead of fact checking the modano thing, and getting in your feelings about Babcock, you’re doubling and tripling down.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

He’s actually a really great human being. He has his guys do community service and charity work, that he, himself, does as well. Have run into him a few times in a few places, and always has time for a short chat and well wishes, and by any account I’ve come across, that’s how he is all the time.

this idea that he’s an insufferable prick is mere slander. Time for you to talk to someone about your irrational anger. The lengths you (and some others) are going to, to build a caricature of someone you can invest your hatred into, is a little bit much.
Yikes.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He’s actually a really great human being. He has his guys do community service and charity work, that he, himself, does as well. Have run into him a few times in a few places, and always has time for a short chat and well wishes, and by any account I’ve come across, that’s how he is all the time.

this idea that he’s an insufferable prick is mere slander. Time for you to talk to someone about your irrational anger. The lengths you (and some others) are going to, to build a caricature of someone you can invest your hatred into, is a little bit much.
Yikes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yikes.
While most are over the top in their comments, his treatment of Spezza was dickish.

Reactions: diceman934 and bax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad