Mike Commodore goes off on Babcock (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
One wonders why he bounced from team to team, league to league, country to country.

I suppose that Babcocks fault, too.

Are people really giving credibility to someone who blames Babcock for his career ending, hopes he gets run over by a truck, drags other players into his drama and any time he's near a microphone with an audience calls him a piece of shit.

Babcocks response? None. Commodore is a mess.

Time to look in the mirror, I think.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
One wonders why he bounced from team to team, league to league, country to country.

Are people really giving credibility to someone who blames Babcock for his career ending, hopes he gets run over by a truck, drags other players into his drama and any time he's near a microphone with an audience calls him a piece of ****.

I just want to point out how great it is to see someone with Rory Delap as a username.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The Red Wings won their previous game with Modano in the lineup and he played every game leading up to then since coming back from injury (had a goal in the previous game before Nashville in a game vs St. Louis where they were throttled 10-3 and Modano was only on the ice for a single goal against) and then out of the blue Babcock just decides to scratch Modano for that game vs Minnesota even though he played every game leading up to then since coming back from injury. The Wings were battling to clinch the Central in every game leading up to that one vs Minnesota, and they even won their previous one vs Nashville with Modano in the lineup.

No I am not revising history, it was a fishy way to scratch Modano it wouldn't make sense if he was scratched based on lack of ability if he played literally every game up until then.

The truth is that Commodore probably knows about the nuances a hell of a lot more than we do since he's actually talked to Modano about it, whether you like or not.
Babcock is a bully .problem is he can only bully certain players
Like madano and now spezza ,because if he got too egotistic on his big 5 he'd be tuned out
He just is 1 of about 15 real good coaches now
And to say anyone of those 15 coaches couldn't coach the leafs to first round exits is ludicrous
Hell he had to go talk with Mathews to quell a min mutiny and likely the reason Mathews signed his player freindly deal was that he told dubas he would accept an offer sheet .
I dont think the players love Babcock and I think Babcock knows it

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Commie scored a whopping 23 goals in 13 seasons... that's just a little over 1 goal a season

50% of those seasons was spent in the minors

this guy was and is a no-name

why is this even a topic here lol

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Are people really giving credibility to someone who blames Babcock for his career ending, hopes he gets run over by a truck, drags other players into his drama and any time he's near a microphone with an audience calls him a piece of ****.

If it was an isolated situation, sure. But it’s not. And we all witnessed it first hand last week.

Those that dislike him are quite vocal about, which is abnormal. Most of it appears to based on the fact that Buscher is dishonest.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Babcock is a textbook narcissist. Most people just aren't educated on narcissists and how they operate. They are absolute hell to deal with.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this assessment. Narcissists will never take blame, will always blame others, and are extremely thin skinned when blamed for anything. I've seen Babcock accept blame many times, and doesn't turn around and attack when blamed. Yes, I've known narcissists well, and Babcock doesn't seem like one to me. He seems like a guy with a massive ego, superiority complex.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If it was an isolated situation, sure. But it’s not. And we all witnessed it first hand last week.

Those that dislike him are quite vocal about, which is abnormal. Most of it appears to based on the fact that Buscher is dishonest.
Yeah none of the Swedes that played for actually liked them. However, hard to know how much that matters since we don't know the reasons. Babcock could be a hard ass in private who is very hard to like, but that doesn't mean he's not a good coach. I don't think he is, quite frankly, but I wouldn't say that this is the reason.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah none of the Swedes that played for actually liked them. However, hard to know how much that matters since we don't know the reasons. Babcock could be a hard ass in private who is very hard to like, but that doesn't mean he's not a good coach. I don't think he is, quite frankly, but I wouldn't say that this is the reason.

His inability to manage the game is the main reason he hasn’t won this decade.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
While most are over the top in their comments, his treatment of Spezza was dickish.
Agreed. Of the cited people/cases brought up, his is the only one that I can't see ample evidence (or multiple other coach/management/organizations) that supports it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

So where's all the examples of dishonesty? Apart from Commodore saying he signed under the impression he'd play top 6 and then blowing goats through 6 teams, 6 coaches and three leagues (each of lower quality as he went) that all reached the same conclusion Babcock did, can you cite me some examples of dishonesty?

Some entitled whack job who seems to think he should be gifted top 6 minutes despite not even being AHL or KHL caliber as a player and who publicly carries himself like a 5 year old isn't much of a litmus.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So where's all the examples of dishonesty? Apart from Commodore saying he signed under the impression he'd play top 6 and then blowing goats through 6 teams, 6 coaches and three leagues (each of lower quality as he went) that all reached the same conclusion Babcock did, can you cite me some examples of dishonesty?

Some entitled whack job who seems to think he should be gifted top 6 minutes despite not even being AHL or KHL caliber as a player and who publicly carries himself like a 5 year old isn't much of a litmus.

Well Chelios has been vocal, a few of the Swedes, and when Detroit fired him, I want to say either Zetterberg, Datsyuk or both, were glad to see him go and they weren’t too shy communicating their opinion. A lot of smoke.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Agreed. Of the cited people/cases brought up, his is the only one that I can't see ample evidence (or multiple other coach/management/organizations) that supports it.

I thought his treatment of Spezza was fine, why is he so special/entitled?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
These guys are paid millions of dollars per year to play a game.

If you can't take a little heat, GTFO and do something else. And stop whining.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
These people are some of the luckiest humans in the history of humanity. I think most of them get that. Mike Commodore obviously does not realise that he was a chance encounter or chromosome away from being a janitor that occasionally gets mistaken for Carrot Top.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

that's what i keep asking. apparently it's because he's a vet, and took less money so this means we need to kiss his boots so other people can sign here for less money too

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010

It was a pretty special situation. Playing for his new team in his home town with family and friends in the crowd. Against the team he's best known for. He was their captain.

Opening game, early days, Sens suck so a probable easy win. Spezza wasn't going to be a significant factor in a win or a loss for us.

So why not play him? IIRC there was something about him not being ready, but he would be ready for the game 2 nights later?

Anyways, it seemed an unnecessarily mean thing to do. I don't think "mean" would have entered Babcock's thoughts, he's got a team to coach. So there you go.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Shanahan played for Babcock, so if Babcock really is as much of a "cancer" as Commodore describes him, then why did Shanahan bring Babcock in.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It was a pretty special situation.[/B] Playing for his new team in his home town with family and friends in the crowd. Against the team he's best known for. He was their captain.

Opening game, early days, Sens suck so a probable easy win. Spezza wasn't going to be a significant factor in a win or a loss for us.

So why not play him? IIRC there was something about him not being ready, but he would be ready for the game 2 nights later?

Anyways, it seemed an unnecessarily mean thing to do. I don't think "mean" would have entered Babcock's thoughts, he's got a team to coach. So there you go.

No, not really IMO. He played for Ottawa years ago, home town and family, whatever, pretty sure they have seen him play in Toronto before.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
These people are some of the luckiest humans in the history of humanity. I think most of them get that. Mike Commodore obviously does not realise that he was a chance encounter or chromosome away from being a janitor that occasionally gets mistaken for Carrot Top.

If you've got a receptive buyer, you can sell grievance of some form or another to any demographic. A grievance mentality has only one destination: misery. And this Mike Commodore appears to be a poster boy for that.

Reactions: TheProspector

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No, not really IMO. He played for Ottawa years ago, home town and family, whatever, pretty sure they have seen him play in Toronto before.
that's what i keep asking. apparently it's because he's a vet, and took less money so this means we need to kiss his boots so other people can sign here for less money too

This is one of those things that if you don't get it by now you probably never will.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Shanahan played for Babcock, so if Babcock really is as much of a "cancer" as Commodore describes him, then why did Shanahan bring Babcock in.
Shanahan left the wings because he couldn’t stand Babcock. Shanny knows more then anyone he has a shelf life, baring a deep run this will be Babcock last year coaching the Leafs.

Reactions: thunder16

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Well Chelios has been vocal, a few of the Swedes, and when Detroit fired him, I want to say either Zetterberg, Datsyuk or both, were glad to see him go and they weren’t too shy communicating their opinion. A lot of smoke.

Those players and Babcock also co-operated long enough in Detroit to win a Cup. That success, or lack thereof, will be what defines a tenure as a coach. After a ten year run with one team, it might not be surprising that the message started to wear thin. Win or lose should always take precedence over popular or not.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010

But never in a Leafs jersey. His fave team as a kid. That was the point.

Shanahan left the wings because he couldn’t stand Babcock. Shanny knows more then anyone he has a shelf life, baring a deep run this will be Babcock last year coaching the Leafs.

So.... Shanny couldn't stand Babs and knows he's going to go stale, yet.... he signs him to BY FAR the biggest contract for a hockey coach in all history.

Don't let MLSE know that, or they'll fire Shanny for sure. I know I would.

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille