Mike Commodore goes off on Babcock (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
While most are over the top in their comments, his treatment of Spezza was dickish.
You ran into him and came away with a bad opinion if I remember correctly. I heard from a player of his more then I cared to know while playing at a golf tourney this summer. Lets just say we would have had a real good player sign with us had he not been the coach and his reasons why. He is a huge Dick and worse. If he had a recorded like Scotty I could live with it but he does not.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
that's what i keep asking. apparently it's because he's a vet, and took less money so this means we need to kiss his boots so other people can sign here for less money too

If there was any practical reason for him not to play the opener, then it would be perfectly fine. But it appears Babcock literally did it for the purpose of being a dick to Spezza. To put him in some sort of line and "see if he is interested in playing" or whatever weird shit he was saying at the time.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If there was any practical reason for him not to play the opener, then it would be perfectly fine. But it appears Babcock literally did it for the purpose of being a dick to Spezza. To put him in some sort of line and "see if he is interested in playing" or whatever weird **** he was saying at the time.

okay then that's fair. but it still doesn't change the fact that Spezza was entitled to play the home opener. which is what a lot of people make it out to be. like it was Spezza's right and babcock robbed him from something (also - by putting down Shore and how he wouldn't have wanted a great once in a life time moment vs. Spezza and his).

so i mean yeah i get it from Spezza's angle but as i've constantly said. no one has yet to explain why Spezza was entitled to play or why his feelings etc trumps everyone elses. people want to play the vet card, or the Toronto boy card, or "but his former team tho." card - and then go "well you don't get it."

No i get it. and It sucks, for spezza, which is a bummer but why does his feelings tump those who did get in? they shouldn't.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
so i mean yeah i get it from Spezza's angle but as i've constantly said. no one has yet to explain why Spezza was entitled to play or why his feelings etc trumps everyone elses. people want to play the vet card, or the Toronto boy card, or "but his former team tho." card - and then go "well you don't get it."

Good 'ol Toronto boy takes a discount to come home and win one with the home town team. The situation is dripping with nostalgia and sentiment. I don't know what to explain exactly, but I can't believe you're oblivious to this.

I mean, it's not like it breaks my heart, and if there was any good reason why he shouldn't play the opener, then that's completely fine. But there was no reason, other than for Babcock to be a dick. At least none that I can see.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
okay then that's fair. but it still doesn't change the fact that Spezza was entitled to play the home opener. which is what a lot of people make it out to be. like it was Spezza's right and babcock robbed him from something (also - by putting down Shore and how he wouldn't have wanted a great once in a life time moment vs. Spezza and his).

No i get it. and It sucks, for spezza, which is a bummer but why does his feelings tump those who did get in? they shouldn't.
Babs purposely targeted him and withheld the one thing that was most important to him. He has done this to many players over the years for no reason other then a perverse enjoyment. Spezza Signed to play in Toronto as it was his home town team and fully expected he would dress and play in the home opener. He earned the respect of any NHL coach based on his career and our dough head of a coach refused to respect him enough to play him after saying so many times that Vets are to be respected and are needed if we are going to win....what a load of BS.

I am shocked that Spezza did not simply walk away after learning about this slight as he does not need the money. That shows you just what this means to him. Any player on the Leafs roster would have understood this and accepted that they were dressing and playing Spezza who is better then two current Leafs in the home opener then him. It is like not giving a player a shift in the last two minutes of a game when he has two goals and has a chance to get a hat trick, coaches who do things like this lose the respect of is players real fast.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Good 'ol Toronto boy takes a discount to come home and win one with the home town team. The situation is dripping with nostalgia and sentiment. I don't know what to explain exactly, but I can't believe you're oblivious to this.

I mean, it's not like it breaks my heart, and if there was any good reason why he shouldn't play the opener, then that's completely fine. But there was no reason, other than for Babcock to be a dick. At least none that I can see.

That's the reason Babcock sat him game one. He was sending a message, you are here to work, nothing will be handed to you, like your first year in the league you are fighting for a job. Ice-time will be earned and I don't care if you are a former 100 pt guy, you are not one now.

I get why he did it, do I agree with it? not sure. I would not have signed Spezza if I were the Leafs. He has never been a defensively responsible guy, I can't see how he will contribute on 4th line.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Like i said. that i get.

what I am saying is - why is his feelings more important than Shore's. here's a guy who wasn't in the league, gets a second chance to play on an 06 team who is primed to win the cup this year and he gets to play in the home opener which sets everything off - which is equally a once in a life time moment (for a guy who probably doesn't have as much as Spezza does). Why does Spezza's feelings of what would be a great moment trump Shore's who had one. That's the question i'm asking, and people want to dance around it, or go "well you don't get it." well no. i'm not ashamed to say I don't understand why Spezza's feelings matter more than Shores, based on the fact that he signed for less money. That means crap because that doesn't entitle him to get special treatment, or - at least it shouldn't.

And the more frustrating thing is, if Babcock played him and Spezza played like crap (or even like Shore) people would be ripping him into bowing to the Vet/new pet and all that nonsense. So no matter what he doesn't win anything. if he played no one would have said "oh Good on babcock for letting him play, tho."

like this isn't a "ohhh Shore's amazing." defense, or even that Babcock was right to do what he did (or not) i'm just saying quite frankly, for someone who is platooning people in and out of the line up, even though babcock said dumb crap (which is often) I don't think Spezza was entitled to play that game and that's how a lot of people here are acting.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I thought his treatment of Spezza was fine, why is he so special/entitled?
Oh I don't think he is entitled to anything, just don't see an obvious reason like with the rest. Now had Babs just simply said someone else had shown to be the better option to date and he has to earn his spot, I am 100% on board with that. As far as I am concerned, everyone has to earn their spot and time.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Well Chelios has been vocal, a few of the Swedes, and when Detroit fired him, I want to say either Zetterberg, Datsyuk or both, were glad to see him go and they weren’t too shy communicating their opinion. A lot of smoke.
Yet none of that says anything about dishonesty, which you claim seems to be a big factor. It's the second seemingly wrong or unfounded claim you have thrown out against him.

I already posted all the backdrop on Chelios. Nothing stands out more than he was largely washed up. He did complain that "he did everything he asked" but guess what? He wasn't very good. I can also tell you from my own life, I do performance management on 70 people and have several who think they are rock stars hitting everything out of the park despite being poor performers. At what point are these people to accept personal responsibility? At some point they have to put up or shut up. The team comes before the individual.

Again, there is lots to criticize about Babcock without creating things.

Reactions: kb

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yet none of that says anything about dishonesty, which you claim seems to be a big factor. It's the second seemingly wrong or unfounded claim you have thrown out against him.

I already posted all the backdrop on Chelios. Nothing stands out more than he was largely washed up. He did complain that "he did everything he asked" but guess what? He wasn't very good. I can also tell you from my own life, I do performance management on 70 people and have several who think they are rock stars hitting everything out of the park despite being poor performers. At what point are these people to accept personal responsibility? At some point they have to put up or shut up. The team comes before the individual.

Again, there is lots to criticize about Babcock without creating things.
You can write a thesis if you wish, but it won’t change the fact that he’s Buscher Babs

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You can write a thesis if you wish, but it won’t change the fact that he’s Buscher Babs
It likely also won't change the seemingly baseless accusations you throw out as fact. That's just how some people roll. I mean, I've seen you post one statement with regards to Babcock that we can legitimately discuss with the actual facts we have on hand.

FelixTheCaT29

Feb 22, 2019
I think the point is if Babcock scratched Spezza because of his play then that is fine, althought I still think is a dick move but understandable. The problem is he plans to rotate him in the next game anyways, so why not let him play on opening night for his childhood team, having his name announced in front of family and friends during introduction and then sub the other guy in the next game.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think the point is if Babcock scratched Spezza because of his play then that is fine, althought I still think is a dick move but understandable. The problem is he plans to rotate him in the next game anyways, so why not let him play on opening night for his childhood team, having his name announced in front of family and friends during introduction and then sub the other guy in the next game.
Nobody knows why he creates needless controversy. Decent people will do the decent thing when everything else is equal. He didn’t, and then doubled down trying to insult most people’s intelligence with his reasoning.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you're not in complete denial, it's obvious why he did it.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Nobody knows why he creates needless controversy. Decent people will do the decent thing when everything else is equal. He didn’t, and then doubled down trying to insult most people’s intelligence with his reasoning.
He doesn’t, the media does.

Babcock has a philosophy and he’s consistent with it. He doesn’t care about the heartwarming stories, he cares about winning.

Shore was better in camp and although they’ll rotate, Shore earned first shot. Giving it to Spezza would be inconsistent with the message he’s been sending.

They’re trying to create a winning culture. Compromising the integrity of that so Jason Spezza can play to his family and friends is completely outrageous.

Jason Spezza is a 4th line player and should be treated as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad