LeBrun: Meier trade talks heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
If thats the case, New Jersey will be taking an L. Can't overplay your hand and lose out on Meier. He makes the perfect sense for your team and the players deserve something like this considering the year they're having.

Jersey needs to close this out
Travis Yost isn't a SJ beat guy, and he doesn't post speculation. He's a Sabres beat guy, and if he posted it, it came from that avenue

Reactions: themelkman

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Personally i don't move Holtz regardless if i'm NJ. Guys drafted there usually aren't moved until it's too late to recoup anywhere near the value (i.e. Kravstov). It's way too risky of a move for GMs on both sides to put the correct value that you would need to on such a recent top 10 pick.
Eh, if we make everyone untouchable it makes acquiring talent like Meier impossible. Holtz has a lot of value. There's no guarantee he pans out and he hasn't forced himself on the roster the way Mercer did. For Meier I'd trade him. I'd also keep him and actually give him a real shot in the top-6 next season, too. I just don't have the luxury of doing both.

Mpirone12

Feb 19, 2023
The thing about Carolina is they’ve been one of the best teams the last few years yet can’t seem to get over the hump in the playoffs. They’re not an old team but they’re not the youngest team on the rise anymore and if they want a chance to beat Boston then they need to take a risk since Max didn’t work out,
100 percent agree with that part. They need a game changer. Someone that is going to take over in the playoffs

ParksnRec

Feb 26, 2023
Maybe. No one is right or wrong in speculation.

I will say, it may actually be more beneficial to jersey to try and get him now in trade than have to try and find a way to sign him in a couple years if the core hasn’t excelled the way the team had hoped. Jersey has to be very careful with their prospect pool because either some don’t work out or everyone does and they’re in cap hell fast. Not a horrific problem to have but could have needless ramifications if Fitz chooses to be stingy with his prospects right now.
It doesnt make someone wrongto speculate moving Mercer, itd just make Fitzgerald one of the worst GMs in hockey instantaneously if he did it

Reactions: HBK27

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Because of New Jersey's contract status, Mercer's production and trajectory vs. Meier at the same ages, and Meier's contract.

Let's look at Mercer's statistics:

Mercer 2021-2022 (Age 20): 82 GP, 17G 25A 42Pts (0.5 PPG)
Mercer 2022-2023 (Age 21): 59 GP, 19G 20A 39Pts (0.7 PPG) [Season Incomplete, on pace for 82GP]
Mercer 2023-2024 (Age 22): ?

Meier 2016-2017 (Age 20): 34 GP, 3G 3A 6Pts
Meier 2017-2018 (Age 21): 81 GP, 21G 15A 36Pts (0.4 PPG)
Meier 2018-2019 (Age 22): 78 GP, 30G 36A 66Pts (0.8 PPG)

Mercer's ahead of Meier's development curve at the same ages. He easily could match Meier's Age 22 production when he's the same age (especially if he's in the top-6 and not on the third line, which is where he's spent most of the last two seasons).

So, projecting outwards to next season, it's not at all clear that Meier's production would be far and away better than Mercer's. He'd also cost between $8M-$10M, while Mercer would still be on his ELC for another year. And we'd have to trade other assets along with Mercer to bring back Meier. Plus Mercer is right-handed, which has value, and can play center, which has value. We also know Mercer already works with our existing core, while bringing in a new star is always potentially risky for a locker room. Mercer's contract demands may also complicate Bratt's contract demands (since Bratt is not going to want to be paid less than Mercer).

These are all problems that are worth dealing with if you're bringing in an obvious long-term improvement for the top-6. But Meier isn't an obvious long-term improvement over Mercer.

And as others have said above, the Devils are not in any rush to compete this season necessarily. Our focus is still for the future, not for right now. There's a decent chance Meier hits UFA this offseason, or in a year after he takes his 1 year QO. We can always pursue him then.
No. I meant why would you eat your boots?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Eh, if we make everyone untouchable it makes acquiring talent like Meier impossible. Holtz has a lot of value. There's no guarantee he pans out and he hasn't forced himself on the roster the way Mercer did. For Meier I'd trade him. I'd also keep him and actually give him a real shot in the top-6 next season, too. I just don't have the luxury of doing both.

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

• Love
Reactions: Classic Devil

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
The thing about Carolina is they’ve been one of the best teams the last few years yet can’t seem to get over the hump in the playoffs. They’re not an old team but they’re not the youngest team on the rise anymore and if they want a chance to beat Boston then they need to take a risk since Max didn’t work out,

Carolina literally knocked Boston out of the Playoffs last year. Boston this year will be the toughest opponent for any team, not just Carolina.

They will make some moves. It just won't be for Meier apparently.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

I will say, it may actually be more beneficial to jersey to try and get him now in trade than have to try and find a way to sign him in a couple years if the core hasn’t excelled the way the team had hoped. Jersey has to be very careful with their prospect pool because either some don’t work out or everyone does and they’re in cap hell fast. Not a horrific problem to have but could have needless ramifications if Fitz chooses to be stingy with his prospects right now.
Strongly disagree. You don't trade 20/21 year olds producing in the NHL because you're worried about signing them in a couple years.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

There's absolutely zero negative to every prospect panning out. None.

You simply trade and consolidate those guys into elite assets if it happens.

Reactions: HBK27

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It doesnt make someone wrongto speculate moving Mercer, itd just make Fitzgerald one of the worst GMs in hockey instantaneously if he did it
I think this is ridiculous fanboy hyperbole.
Carolina literally knocked Boston out of the Playoffs last year. Boston this year will be the toughest opponent for any team, not just Carolina.

They will make some moves. It just won't be for Meier apparently.
Boston was a way different team but that’s not the point. Carolina for as good as they’ve been can’t seem to get over the hump and always underachieve in the playoffs. Their window isn’t as big as some may think just because Aho is only 25.

Strongly disagree. You don't trade 20/21 year olds producing in the NHL because you're worried about signing them in a couple years.
You can’t expect every 20/21 year old to pan out and if they do you’re not staggering a long term plan. There’s a reason NJ is strongly looking at Timo right now. You can’t just stock up your lineup with 6’0 22 year olds. Prospects sometimes have more value as trade commodities than as future redundant pieces in your own system (ie Holtz).

ParksnRec

Feb 26, 2023
I think this is ridiculous fanboy hyperbole.

Boston was a way different team but that’s not the point. Carolina for as good as they’ve been can’t seem to get over the hump and always underachieve in the playoffs. Their window isn’t as big as some may think just because Aho is only 25.
Its not, no GM in their right mind trades a 21yo 1st round pick whos projecting to be a near PPG Swiss Army knife type whos a healthy as a horse and gets the women in their feels

Now piss off with your Mercer hate-boner

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
You can’t expect every 20/21 year old to pan out and if they do you’re not staggering a long term plan. There’s a reason NJ is strongly looking at Timo right now. You can’t just stock up your lineup with 6’0 22 year olds. Prospects sometimes have more value as trade commodities than as future redundant pieces in your own system (ie Holtz).
But this discussion is about Mercer who has panned out already. He is not a future redundant piece considering he is producing in the NHL on an ELC with some term left.

Reactions: Forge

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
But this discussion is about Mercer who has panned out already. He is not a future redundant piece considering he is producing in the NHL on an ELC with some term left.
My point wasn’t about Mercer at all. It was about the general stinginess of a GM overly cautious to make a big move.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Im afraid Vegas is going to offer all theyve got

Multiple 1sts, Multiple 2nds, multiple 3rds, prospects and players

NJ should be able to beat it all but im afraid Fitz may get beat to the punch
I’d assume Grier asks for more for being a divisional rival and would very much prefer to not move him there unless the offer blows NJ’s out of the water

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Im afraid Vegas is going to offer all theyve got

Multiple 1sts, Multiple 2nds, multiple 3rds, prospects and players

NJ should be able to beat it all but im afraid Fitz may get beat to the punch
I mean, if they do they do. I'm not willing to overpay and hinder the team just to get Meier.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Can't believe there's still talk about Mercer. Aside from the fact that young players like that never get traded, it also doesn't make sense to trade your 4th best forward...to bring someone in that will also be arguably your 4th best forward (depending on how you view Meier vs. Nico & Bratt).

Yes, Meier is the better player now, but you'd also be removing a major, major contributor to the team right now which makes zero sense, particularly when the Devils are loaded with prospects and picks to get a deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad