LeBrun: Meier trade talks heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I can’t see an unknown team being able to slap together a package so quick and not have checked in with SJ yet to only last minute make a massive offer and go through all the negotiation BS from square one.
So quick? We're not "in the know" as to who have been negotiating since the beginning, only speculation from online "insiders".

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Figured 1st + Zetterlund + Muk made the most since for a while. I think Muk has alot more upside than Casey and probably has a relatively higher floor. Smaller puck movers are kind of hard to decipher where they're going to top out at. Its typically 3rd pair or elite for them. Not much inbetween.

Yeah Casey is the definition of a boom or bust prospect, he's incredibly skilled and his ceiling is probably similar to somebody like Torey Krug but he could quite as easily never even make it to the NHL.

Mukhamadullin has looked extremely solid in the KHL and it's hard to imagine he won't get a long audition in the NHL sooner rather than later, especially with his physical tools. If San Jose wants someone who can potentially contribute as soon as next season then I'd say Muk is the much better proposition.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
What is this post.

"Wow that's too big of a package for a rental. Good thing he isn't a rental by any definition of the word"

Sherlock Holmes cracks the case

First part was a response. 2nd was speculation. Yes it's a bit backtracked. But that's why i have a hard time gauging Meier. Figured pretty much all along it would be somewhat in line with Horvat. Latest report per Strickland right or wrong is in the same thinking. Just hard seeing someone throw a Holtz at SJ along with a Muk knowing that you're going to have to work out a contract that will be a substantial one.

Also the argument was the QO almost puts Meier in the light of a rental with a NTC. He can pretty much pick where he wants to go if he really wants to. However, any acquiring team can pay him the 10 next season and then sell him as a rental and hope to recoup what they traded.

Reactions: Classic Devil

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
First part was a response. 2nd was speculation. Yes it's a bit backtracked. But that's why i have a hard time gauging Meier. Figured pretty much all along it would be somewhat in line with Horvat. Latest report per Strickland right or wrong is in the same thinking. Just hard seeing someone throw a Holtz at SJ along with a Muk knowing that you're going to have to work out a contract that will be a substantial one.

Also the argument was the QO almost puts Meier in the light of a rental with a NTC. He can pretty much pick where he wants to go if he really wants to. However, any acquiring team can pay him the 10 next season and then sell him as a rental and hope to recoup what they traded.
I agree with this. if I'm NJ's GM I happily trade Holtz + Mukhamadullin + 1st for a signed Meier. But an unsigned Meier... I probably balk. It's just too big a risk.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Mpirone12

Feb 19, 2023
I’m all for Carolina giving up draft picks and prospects that aren’t part of our run right now but I don’t think it would be wise to trade Jarvis and whoever else they want to add and then subtract. We have enough depth to trade some of our future for the right now to make a big run at the cup.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I agree with this. if I'm NJ's GM I happily trade Holtz + Mukhamadullin + 1st for a signed Meier. But an unsigned Meier... I probably balk. It's just too big a risk.

Personally i don't move Holtz regardless if i'm NJ. Guys drafted there usually aren't moved until it's too late to recoup anywhere near the value (i.e. Kravstov). It's way too risky of a move for GMs on both sides to put the correct value that you would need to on such a recent top 10 pick.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
With him being a RFA i don't really understand the risk. Give NJ plenty of time to negotiate a contract, and if that fails they can still trade him to recoup most if not all of these assets.

Many times packages like Holtz + 1st are traded for players of Meier's calibre that are UFA

ParksnRec

Feb 26, 2023
How stingy is New Jersey being by competing with Vegas right now lmaoooo

Vegas has nothing left. This should be a easy win for New Jersey
SJ is keeping Vegas and maybe Buffalo around so that NJ doesnt drop their price. Itll get done by tonight and if it isnt NJ who won him itll be Vegas or Buffalo overpaying like crazy

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I’m all for Carolina giving up draft picks and prospects that aren’t part of our run right now but I don’t think it would be wise to trade Jarvis and whoever else they want to add and then subtract. We have enough depth to trade some of our future for the right now to make a big run at the cup.
The thing about Carolina is they’ve been one of the best teams the last few years yet can’t seem to get over the hump in the playoffs. They’re not an old team but they’re not the youngest team on the rise anymore and if they want a chance to beat Boston then they need to take a risk since Max didn’t work out,

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
SJ is keeping Vegas and maybe Buffalo around so that NJ doesnt drop their price. Itll get done by tonight and if it isnt NJ who won him itll be Vegas or Buffalo overpaying like crazy
If thats the case, New Jersey will be taking an L. Can't overplay your hand and lose out on Meier. He makes the perfect sense for your team and the players deserve something like this considering the year they're having.

Jersey needs to close this out

Reactions: ParksnRec

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Mercer of Jarvis won't be traded and most of us know that...no point discussing it.

I'm hoping for Holtz, Muhk/Casey and a first, but I expect Zetterlund to come back and therefor eliminate Holtz from the deal.

Correct. If Fitzgerald had agreed to the likes of Mercer or Nemec as the foundational piece to the trade then in my opinion, it would have already gotten over the finish line.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Correct. If Fitzgerald had agreed to the likes of Mercer or Nemec as the foundational piece to the trade then in my opinion, it would have already gotten over the finish line.
While I agree it would have been done by now, I don’t think Fitz is completely off the scenario that Mercer is a possibility, he’s just doing everything he can to prevent him from being included. It sounds like a stalemate and both GMs are waiting for the other to blink.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Since Vegas doesn't have the prospect pipeline as other rumoured teams, they must be offering more picks which is keeping Grier interested.

ParksnRec

Feb 26, 2023
While I agree it would have been done by now, I don’t think Fitz is completely off the scenario that Mercer is a possibility, he’s just doing everything he can to prevent him from being included. It sounds like a stalemate and both GMs are waiting for the other to blink.
The Devils would sooner say no and try their luck in FA or other traded the next two years before even considering moving Mercer

Mercer-types are just as important to Cup runs as the Jack Hughes types. Kid doesnt miss any games, plays 100% every shift, has skill and is insulated, and only playing 15 a night right now

The Devils arent near their window closing (heck it JUST opened with rhat fresh new pie smell) so they dont have to make a Mercer-type move. They can afford to wait. Hell, Meier could even sign with them as a UFA in two years (or hell even tradefor him in the offseason after a Vegas cant afford his QO)

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

Because of New Jersey's contract status, Mercer's production and trajectory vs. Meier at the same ages, and Meier's contract.

Let's look at Mercer's statistics:

Mercer 2021-2022 (Age 20): 82 GP, 17G 25A 42Pts (0.5 PPG)
Mercer 2022-2023 (Age 21): 59 GP, 19G 20A 39Pts (0.7 PPG) [Season Incomplete, on pace for 82GP]
Mercer 2023-2024 (Age 22): ?

Meier 2016-2017 (Age 20): 34 GP, 3G 3A 6Pts
Meier 2017-2018 (Age 21): 81 GP, 21G 15A 36Pts (0.4 PPG)
Meier 2018-2019 (Age 22): 78 GP, 30G 36A 66Pts (0.8 PPG)

Mercer's ahead of Meier's development curve at the same ages. He easily could match Meier's Age 22 production when he's the same age (especially if he's in the top-6 and not on the third line, which is where he's spent most of the last two seasons).

So, projecting outwards to next season, it's not at all clear that Meier's production would be far and away better than Mercer's. He'd also cost between $8M-$10M, while Mercer would still be on his ELC for another year. And we'd have to trade other assets along with Mercer to bring back Meier. Plus Mercer is right-handed, which has value, and can play center, which has value. We also know Mercer already works with our existing core, while bringing in a new star is always potentially risky for a locker room. Mercer's contract demands may also complicate Bratt's contract demands (since Bratt is not going to want to be paid less than Mercer).

These are all problems that are worth dealing with if you're bringing in an obvious long-term improvement for the top-6. But Meier isn't an obvious long-term improvement over Mercer.

And as others have said above, the Devils are not in any rush to compete this season necessarily. Our focus is still for the future, not for right now. There's a decent chance Meier hits UFA this offseason, or in a year after he takes his 1 year QO. We can always pursue him then.

Reactions: MrLouniverse

ParksnRec

Feb 26, 2023
Since Vegas doesn't have the prospect pipeline as other rumoured teams, they must be offering more picks which is keeping Grier interested.
Im afraid Vegas is going to offer all theyve got

Multiple 1sts, Multiple 2nds, multiple 3rds, prospects and players

NJ should be able to beat it all but im afraid Fitz may get beat to the punch

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Mercer of Jarvis won't be traded and most of us know that...no point discussing it.

I'm hoping for Holtz, Muhk/Casey and a first, but I expect Zetterlund to come back and therefor eliminate Holtz from the deal.

I think NJ would be fine with either permutation. Honestly I'd rather give up Holtz than Zetterlund because the latter is much better suited to a bottom six role and can be a valuable contributor for us in the playoffs.

Holtz has a higher ceiling and will likely be better long term, but adding Meier (and presumably extending him long term) makes Holtz somewhat redundant for us anyway.

I expect it to be Zetterlund though, it sounds like you're looking for players that can step into the NHL right away. I imagine a package like Zetterlund + Mukhamadullin would be more attractive than Holtz + Casey for that reason alone.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think NJ would be fine with either permutation. Honestly I'd rather give up Holtz than Zetterlund because the latter is much better suited to a bottom six role and can be a valuable contributor for us in the playoffs.

Holtz has a higher ceiling and will likely be better long term, but adding Meier (and presumably extending him long term) makes Holtz somewhat redundant for us anyway.

I expect it to be Zetterlund though, it sounds like you're looking for players that can step into the NHL right away. I imagine a package like Zetterlund + Mukhamadullin would be more attractive than Holtz + Casey for that reason alone.
I agree with everything you said. Personally I would rather Holtz and Casey and play the waiting game in their development but it seems Grier wants to speed the rebuild up.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Devils would sooner say no and try their luck in FA or other traded the next two years before even considering moving Mercer

Mercer-types are just as important to Cup runs as the Jack Hughes types. Kid doesnt miss any games, plays 100% every shift, has skill and is insulated, and only playing 15 a night right now

The Devils arent near their window closing (heck it JUST opened with rhat fresh new pie smell) so they dont have to make a Mercer-type move. They can afford to wait. Hell, Meier could even sign with them as a UFA in two years (or hell even tradefor him in the offseason after a Vegas cant afford his QO)
Maybe. No one is right or wrong in speculation.

I will say, it may actually be more beneficial to jersey to try and get him now in trade than have to try and find a way to sign him in a couple years if the core hasn’t excelled the way the team had hoped. Jersey has to be very careful with their prospect pool because either some don’t work out or everyone does and they’re in cap hell fast. Not a horrific problem to have but could have needless ramifications if Fitz chooses to be stingy with his prospects right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad