LeBrun: Meier trade talks heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Starting to feel like a fantasy hockey trade where two teams just talk for weeks and then nothing happens.

At a certain point this just isn't that complicated. Feels like there are just two parties overcomplicating it.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Starting to feel like a fantasy hockey trade where two teams just talk for weeks and then nothing happens.

At a certain point this just isn't that complicated. Feels like there are just two parties overcomplicating it.
Neither Grier or Fitzgerald can really afford to mess this up.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I agree and respect that, but it's been rumoured for weeks now that NJ is the frontrunner, so how many possible combinations of a return can they discuss? At a certain point you need to just make a decision. Granted I'm not in the room but it just seems like treading water at this point, as an outsider.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Fitz can. If he thinks Timo is the piece then you get him. For MG there are numerous options and teams and he has to decide which futures have major careers in front of him. No one will fault Fitz though for going for it.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I’m curious if the sticking point right now to completing a deal between San Jose and New Jersey is possibly the uncertainty of Meiers willingness to resign in New Jersey. Maybe that’s over complicating things for Griers and the potential return that he can get from the devils. A thought.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
At this point I wish they did so you guys wouldn't be on the meier trade fronts with ridiculous proposals
Don’t talk to me about ridiculous proposals lol. Some of the ones offered have been scoffed at by sharks fans that think they’re getting way more than they likely are. 🤷‍♂️

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Toronto was paying people ridiculous amounts of money before it was cool. I don’t think we’re going to throw Marner, Matthews, McDavid or Panarin money at Bratt or Timo.

for proper modeling of a roster I look at it in 2 ways

4/7 for 14 F and 3/7 on 7D/2G. With an 84M cap that breaks doen to 48 and 3trd other way is you look at your bottom 8 ( 4F, 2D, 1G, and 2 can be any) as having a total of around $11M. The rest goes to the 9-5-1 at 60/40 split between the F and D/G

in a situation like toronto where 4F is $36M+ thrn thst leaves $12M fir 10 other F plus any short term residual for D/G. Your top 4+ starter make around $30M combined

with NJ having The 2 young D on the roster will give thrm 3 years of some extra space to use on F

with thr cable TV issues don’t expect the cap to rise much the next 5 years. Maybe a $1M per yr at best.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
See. I think that’s where a lot of Sharks fans are taking issue. you’re saying youll have Meier, AND a deep prospect pool. How big is the pool? Are there some hidden prospects we’re missing? As far as we all know Nemec, and L.Hughes are the best of that D prospect pool. Anyone outside of those two should be included in a deal for Meier.

I disagree with that Devils fan, our prospect pool will probably go from top 3 to in the middle of the league post Meier trade and graduation of Luke + Nemec soon.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
See. I think that’s where a lot of Sharks fans are taking issue. you’re saying youll have Meier, AND a deep prospect pool. How big is the pool? Are there some hidden prospects we’re missing? As far as we all know Nemec, and L.Hughes are the best of that D prospect pool. Anyone outside of those two should be included in a deal for Meier.
I'm pretty sure we are willing to include almost anyone else. Mercer is not a prospect but if you include him in your definition of one, that is a no go.

Holtz, Casey and Mukhamudulin all have decent value. Reality is, you are not getting all three plus a first. Perhaps Holtz + a roster player like Sharagovich or Zetterlund and a first. Maybe they add one of those Dmen.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Fitz can. If he thinks Timo is the piece then you get him. For MG there are numerous options and teams and he has to decide which futures have major careers in front of him. No one will fault Fitz though for going for it.
I'm sorry, this is just wrong. We're at the start of our window. We're already going to make the playoffs, which frankly means we're ahead of where a lot of us we're expecting to be when this season started. If we give away a ton of assets for Meier, who we lose for nothing because we can't get him under contract, it will be a disaster for the franchise. Equally disastrous would be giving away a ton of assets and signing him to a contract that makes it impossible to keep Bratt without completly blowing up our cap structure, because that would shrink our window of genuine competitiveness and put us in a position of constantly having to use assets to buy cap space. There are all kinds of ways that Fitz could completely botch this and seriously damage our long-term competitiveness.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure we are willing to include almost anyone else. Mercer is not a prospect but if you include him in your definition of one, that is a no go.

Holtz, Casey and Mukhamudulin all have decent value. Reality is, you are not getting all three plus a first. Perhaps Holtz + a roster player like Sharagovich or Zetterlund and a first. Maybe they add one of those Dmen.
Did you just get here?

• Haha
Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I’m curious if the sticking point right now to completing a deal between San Jose and New Jersey is possibly the uncertainty of Meiers willingness to resign in New Jersey. Maybe that’s over complicating things for Griers and the potential return that he can get from the devils. A thought.

I don't think there's anything to point to that. If the Devils got told that he was unwilling to sign, they would've moved on to plan B like the Jets did with Nino. Better chance Timo's willing to sign and we're just going through the extension part right now.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Grier is going to screw up if he continues like this. Get max value, sure, but don't be unrealistic. Get an extension in place with the other team and get max value. Right now he's a rental and that's all he is. Value accordingly.

You're not contending, and this might be one of the strongest drafts ever. Cash out EK too even if you have to carry money on it, get the picks and build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad