LeBrun: Meier trade talks heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If I could get Timo at like 4 years, 8.6 or something, it would be heavenly. Have way more interest in Timo for 4 years than I do for 7 or 8
I think for him it’s better but I do think shorter term would mean more money.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
they don’t want to become like Toronto where you can’t afford depth in your roster.

ehrn r ec snd Hughes come on the team they will have 3 years of short term space they can spend before they get higher contracts, signing a long/ high contract will hurt them elsewhere.
After paying Meier, how will they pay Bratt, Mercer et al.??

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Jack contract is bullshit, Fitz has paid Dougie 9M in UFA and almost gave an identical contract to Gaudreau last summer. He's willingly to go over it for players, Julie is just reiterating that future cap flexibility has always been a thing with his GMing while other GM's are more hot hand with it.
I kind of agree. Jack sort of played himself taking that long term deal so early. The team shouldn’t have to suffer because they don’t want to insult the guy who took less money.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Its going to either be the QO or a long term 9 mil deal.

Hes not going to go middle of the road and risk not getting paid
Him taking a bridge deal and playing with the kind of players in Nj isn’t going to decrease his value unless he’s complete fool’s gold.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I kind of agree. Jack sort of played himself taking that long term deal so early. The team shouldn’t have to suffer because they don’t want to insult the guy who took less money.

Which in turn you would also think the GM would "reward" Nico and Jack with wingers in Bratt and Timo even if you slightly overpay them. And like @themelkman just said, they have a ton of ELC's coming in

My point is they are going to have to pay for all that talent they’re hoarding.

Betting on the cap to explode but the NHL is a brain dead league

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Clearly was a thank you for them drafting Luke

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think this is a real concern. Not so much for the next season or two, but for the back 2-6 seasons of Meier's contract.

I was big on signing Bratt long term in 2021 and it's bit them twice granted if they weren't willing to pay him. Can't fault Bratt and his agent with the rumors of the cap exploding. Just a really weird situation we'll probably never get the answer to until we get like an random Athletic article in 2040 lol

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
Fitz also chased after Tkachuk w an extension and I assume he would’ve offered well over 8 mill for that.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Clearly was a thank you for them drafting Luke

It probably wasn't, Jack hadn't done much points wise to deserve that AAV. Every Devils fan knew it was a steal when it happened though with how his underlyings looked. He's probably looking at 10-11M+ if he took a bridge and bet on himself.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
After paying Meier, how will they pay Bratt, Mercer et al.??
They have a flexible cap there’s only a handful of players signed for more than 3 years
Hamilton
Hughes
Palat
Marino
Siegenthaler
Hischier

Basically your whole top 4 on defense is long term along with your studs in hischier and Hughes
And in theory the cap should only go up

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
they don’t want to become like Toronto where you can’t afford depth in your roster.

ehrn r ec snd Hughes come on the team they will have 3 years of short term space they can spend before they get higher contracts, signing a long/ high contract will hurt them elsewhere.
Toronto was paying people ridiculous amounts of money before it was cool. I don’t think we’re going to throw Marner, Matthews, McDavid or Panarin money at Bratt or Timo.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
More than concern. It’ll be a problem.

It shouldn't be a massive one, they arguably might have 5/6 defense spots at around ~18-19M for the next 3 years which is incredible value in Hamliton, Siegs, Marino, 2 young guys on ELC's in Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec. Still need one more LD, it could be realistically Ryan Graves which I wouldn't mind at all depending on the AAV and the term is less than 3 years. Their cap issues aren't that bad if they get Meier and Bratt at around ~8.5 each x8

They literally can't. Their 2 centers combined make less than John Tavares, who was a luxury for TOR btw, for the next 5-6 years. It would have to take something catastrophic to ruin their cap.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think this is a real concern. Not so much for the next season or two, but for the back 2-6 seasons of Meier's contract.
Is there really concern? We will have Luke and Nemec likely in big roles on ELC's and a deep prospect pool. I think we are in as good of a position to absorb the Meier and Bratt contracts as anyone.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
More than concern. It’ll be a problem.
A very good “problem” to have too many good players.
Pick your core pieces and trade the others for cost controlled , younger players and hope they develop enough to fill holes in your roster.
Or do like the Lightning have done. Overpay on players like Coleman and Goodrow that are bargain contracts with term to fill holes . Dump them or walk away when they need a raise.

If I was Fitz , I would not announce any deal drawls or even the fact an extension is made so it doesn’t effect the Bratt negotiations.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Is there really concern? We will have Luke and Nemec likely in big roles on ELC's and a deep prospect pool. I think we are in as good of a position to absorb the Meier and Bratt contracts as anyone.
See. I think that’s where a lot of Sharks fans are taking issue. you’re saying youll have Meier, AND a deep prospect pool. How big is the pool? Are there some hidden prospects we’re missing? As far as we all know Nemec, and L.Hughes are the best of that D prospect pool. Anyone outside of those two should be included in a deal for Meier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille