Confirmed with Link: McCarthy, Boll to return as Assistants. Mark Recchi, Josef Boumedienne hired as assistant coaches. Niklas Backstrom Hired as Goalie Coach,McCudden out

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's a reason why a guy like Gretzky made a terrible coach and these "nobodies" from their playing careers go on to make great head coaches.

Being able to play the game doesn't automatically equate to being able to break the game down and properly explain X's and O's.

Personally I would be more at ease if we had a guy like Letestu as dev coach rather than Boller, he did more with less. But we have to admit that we aren't in a position to evaluate these guys. Maybe Boller is great at it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There's a reason why a guy like Gretzky made a terrible coach and these "nobodies" from their playing careers go on to make great head coaches.

Being able to play the game doesn't automatically equate to being able to break the game down and properly explain X's and O's.
In Gretzky's case, it was incomprehensible to him that the players didn't know the easy stuff for him.

Reactions: koteka

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
In Gretzky's case, it was incomprehensible to him that the players didn't know the easy stuff for him.
Yeah I think some of the greats it just doesn't translate.

I will say I do think a guy like Kobe wouldve made a helluva coach. His commitment and drive to be best and never taking days off, always grinding to be the best.. I think would've translated extremely well into coaching. But a guy like Lebron or Jordan being a coach? Forget about it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah I think some of the greats it just doesn't translate.

I will say I do think a guy like Kobe wouldve made a helluva coach. His commitment and drive to be best and never taking days off, always grinding to be the best.. I think would've translated extremely well into coaching. But a guy like Lebron or Jordan being a coach? Forget about it.
Every coach is such a programmer. He also has to program every step, because if he misses even one step, the program will not work. Gretzky wasn't one.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Well, if you look at the development of our players last year that tells me he is unqualified.
What are you talking about? Development A) doesn't happen in one year and B) I world argue the AHL team showed growth. Boll isn't the only one to support development. This argument is ridiculous.

How do you feel about Tim Berni? Or was he "developed" by someone else? Marchenko? Bjork? KJ?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

"Kenny and I had a long conversation about his desire to either sign a contract extension or look at other opportunities that might be available to him. In fairness to our new head coach Mike Babcock, I want to make sure everyone gets to know each other before deciding on extensions so Kenny decided to leave the Blue Jackets to pursue those opportunities," said Kekalainen.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
When a guy holds a master's degree in kinesiology and his family runs a local hockey development business, I see some things lining up with McCudden leaving.

Oh man, what a coup that would be to get him involved in Columbus. Need more of these experienced/proven hires and less giving old players on the job training.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
That first tweet is missing a word in a key spot, it seems to me. "What's next for Donskov, who ____ #VGK earlier this month?"
The word is "left." Porty is pushing this hard, so I wonder if he has indeed heard things. It was also in Sunday's mailbag:
  • One of the first executives hired by the Vegas Golden Knights was Columbus native Misha Donskov, who has had a storybook career in hockey. Donskov, who was 13 when his family moved to Columbus from Toronto in 1990, started as an instructor with the Blue Jackets’ youth hockey organization in 2001, the early days of the franchise. He was hired by the Atlanta Thrashers as a consultant in 2004, became an assistant coach in two stops in the Ontario Hockey League in 2009, joined Team Canada (2013) as a video coach for a wide array of international tournaments, and landed as the director of hockey operations under GM George McPhee in 2016 when Vegas was born via expansion. Now Donskov, whose family runs Donskov Hockey Development in suburban Columbus, has his name on the Stanley Cup (first name on line three) after Vegas made quick work of Florida.
  • It was announced by Vegas on July 2 that Donskov would not be back with the Golden Knights next season. Without further explanation, the club tweeted: “Thank you, Misha Donskov, and best of luck in your future endeavors.” When reached by The Athletic. Donskov said it was “time for a change, personally and professionally.” It’ll be interesting to see where he lands.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Oh man, what a coup that would be to get him involved in Columbus. Need more of these experienced/proven hires and less giving old players on the job training.
I did not know this until I started Googling, but the the company and the family are not new to Ohio, the Columbus area or to the CBJ. It would be great to bring him in but I'm going to pump the brakes on assuming anything.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Had a chance to interact with McCudden years ago when he was imparting some knowledge to local youth hockey players/coaches by running a skills practice for them. He could not have been more gracious, seemed like such a great dude who just loves the game and helping others get better. He even gave me his cell # so I could give him an update on how that youth team did at an upcoming tourney (I deleted the number after texting that update as I didn't want to overstep boundaries). I wish him all the best on his next ventures.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I did not know this until I started Googling, but the the company and the family are not new to Ohio, the Columbus area or to the CBJ. It would be great to bring him in but I'm going to pump the brakes on assuming anything.
I just realized why the name sounded so familiar. I actually attended their family's camp in 2002. They used to have a camp at the hockey rink in a tent by Anheuser Busch in Worthington (forget the name and it's probably gone anyway). The family had a house with a bunch of land over by Hoover Reservoir for dry land training. They have been in the hockey dev business for decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Seems like skills coach would be a step down from director of hockey operations, but maybe he’s fine with that/prefers that route at this stage of his life/career, particularly if it can be in Cbus and under an old friend (Babcock).

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I just realized why the name sounded so familiar. I actually attended their family's camp in 2003. They used to have a camp at the hockey rink in a tent by Anheuser Busch in Worthington (forget the name and it's probably gone anyway). The family had a house with a bunch of land over by Hoover Reservoir for dry land training. They have been in the hockey dev business for decades.
Yes, it's called Chiller IceWorks now and it is still there - it went through significant renovations a couple of years ago. The Donskovs have a gym near that rink, and a bunch of hockey players (including the local AAA organization) use them for their conditioning programs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Does Donskov work with skills development? If so, it seems like a no brainer

Seems like skills coach would be a step down from director of hockey operations, but maybe he’s fine with that/prefers that route at this stage of his life/career, particularly if it can be in Cbus and under an old friend (Babcock).

Donskov held the analogous job to McCudden in Vegas.

It seems from this profile in the Athletic that he just liked skills coaching and he was too good at it.

It isn't clear but it seems like he might have stopped doing the executive work for Vegas some years ago? There's no recent mention of it. But he might have still been in a dual role. If the Jackets can bring him in, then I'd love to see him on both sides. Skills coaches would seem to be the best guys to assist in scouting too "tell us who you can fix".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad