Confirmed with Link: McCarthy, Boll to return as Assistants. Mark Recchi, Josef Boumedienne hired as assistant coaches. Niklas Backstrom Hired as Goalie Coach,McCudden out

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
MAHJ71 posted this in the Training Camp thread but I think it goes better here:

What I find funny...

CBJ PR said:
“Mark Recchi has been part of the National Hockey League for over three decades and brings an incredible amount of experience to our staff,” said Vincent. “He is a Hall of Fame player who won three Stanley Cup championships, which combined with his coaching experience, will make him a great resource for our players. We are excited to have him in Columbus.”

"I’m thrilled that we have added a person of Mark Recchi’s talent and insight to our coaching staff," said Vincent. “Mark adds a wealth of knowledge as a player and a coach, both in development and as an assistant, to our group that will be instrumental in helping our organization grow on and off the ice. His expertise in the offensive zone and on the power play, specifically, will be a huge benefit for our club.”
I'm 99.9% sure that somebody in the PR department forgot to replace one of the Vincents (the first one) with Kekäläinen or Davidson... The remaining 0.01% of me wonders if the ownership distancing the team from the current front office has begun. :D

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Weren’t his power plays pretty bad in NJ?
From 2020 through 2022 they were 30th in the league (15%). I don't know what his role was in Pittsburgh but they had 3rd best PP (23.8%) while he was there.

I wonder what the issue(s) were in NJ. I'd guess that in their regular lineup RHD was running the point (Hamilton, Severson) and LH forwards were covering flanks (Bratt, Hughes). At least for handedness it doesn't seem like an ideal setup.

Would be fantastic if for starters he just ended the "Laine on right, JG on left, Werenski on the point" madness.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’ve resigned to the fact that our PP will always be terrible. So that doesn’t bother me. I’m glad he’s good with young guys though

Reactions: koteka

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Is it weird to anyone else that "he hasnt had a chance to look at it"? You'd think a part new PP/F coach hiring process would be sending him some game tape and asking what he'd change/work on?
There's been some talk that GMs literally call Bettman (or maybe it was some other big guy?) and ask who they should hire. That's how the old boys club runs itself rotating same faces and makes it hard for new names non-ex-pros to get to the league. Have to wonder whether that's what happened here considering the statement, finding the guy in a week, and it being a HHOF guy

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
There's been some talk that GMs literally call Bettman (or maybe it was some other big guy?) and ask who they should hire. That's how the old boys club runs itself and makes it hard for new names non-ex-pros to get to the league. Have to wonder whether that's what happened here considering the statement, finding the guy in a week, and it being a HHOF guy
Pickin's are slim when its literally 2-3 days before training camp opens. It's not like there were tons of options to get people out of other team's contract or even many great options available for free.

At least Colorado had a couple of weeks to get Bednar before training camp opened.

Also, look at our front office, its all filled with someone who knows someone who knows someone and a bunch of former players trying to learn their jobs.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Is it weird to anyone else that "he hasnt had a chance to look at it"? You'd think a part new PP/F coach hiring process would be sending him some game tape and asking what he'd change/work on?

Isn't this quote just hours after his hiring was announced? This doesn't worry me tbh. Even if he had looked at it, that seems like a fine, first-day non-answer.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Yes it feels a little contradictory after reading Vincent's comments about the coach search on Sunday.

“We’re looking at some names,” Vincent said. “We don’t want to rush it because it’s an important job. We want to take the time and find the right person.”

Reactions: MAHJ71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Yep. That stood out to me almost as much as the lack of Werenski being mentioned/JG as QB.

I would imagine initial hiring conversations would have began with what does that candidate think they can change to bring results, etc.. but with CBJ, who knows.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was looking for more detail about how the NJ experience went and Whiskey gave me this:

It was pretty well understood that Recchi was the architect of our PP during his tenure.

And there's this:

Maybe he didn't really do much beyond opening the doors for line changes, but I think he probably had a pretty big hand in our PP's design, considering his departure coincided with our PP going from pretty much dead last in most metrics to middle of the pack / above average. Look at last year's improvement vs the 2 years under Recchi:

32nd in shots/60 to 11th
31st in HDCF/60 to 11th
30th in xGF/60 to 9th (yeah I know expected goals model isn't great for the PP but still)
29th GF/60 to 17th

The eye test more than supports all of these numbers.

It was a static high zone umbrella with really poor entry schemes. Both halfwall guys were typically positioned well above the circles to support the point man and keep passes across the umbrella short and low risk. We had an almost useless bumper man in the mid slot, and a net front presence. Our halfwall players were too high to be consistently dangerous scoring threats, and we didn't typically use our low forward as a passing option (to threaten the high to low to slot tic tac toe one timer). It was designed as a perimeter shooting PP that doesn't create opportunities for a lot of seam passes below the top of the circles.

It was pretty much 3 guys playing catch above the dots, and then eventually settling for a medium to long distance shot with the hope that we'd get a bounce or a rebound. Every once in a while one of the halfwall guys would take the puck lower and open up the bumper for a shot, but that was rare, as I'm pretty sure Recchi had a rule that we had to complete 3 passes to the point man before we could try to score.

Here's an example of what it looked like when set up:

Here's another. You can see how sometimes the net front guy would step to the side as an option, but it that play was rarely used as anything more than a means to recycle the puck back to the 3 guys in the umbrella:

Under Brunette, we were so much more dynamic and aggressive, using the point man as an actual shooting threat instead of a facilitator for short passes, and getting our forwards much lower in the zone. Here is an example of a PP goal from last year:

Huge difference, right?

Under Recchi, we probably had the most predictable PP in the league. And the worst part of all that predictable perimeter passing and shots through traffic is that it's just asking for shorthanded goals against.

There's a reason the Devils had arguably the league's worst PP for those 2 years.

At 5v4 from 2020-21 thru 2021-22, the Devils ranked:

32nd in shots/60
29th in GF/60
30th in CF/60
31st in HDCF/60
32nd in GA/60
29th in GF
32nd in GA
31st in goal differential

And it's not like we lacked offensive firepower while Recchi was at the helm. We still had elite puck carriers and distributors in Bratt, Hischier, and Hughes + a mix of other skilled PP guys like Mercer, Zacha, Sharangovich, Tatar, and Palmieri. And we had several decent PPQB options during his tenure in Hamilton, Severson, Subban, and Smith.

The fact that we had such great puck handlers / distributors made Recchi's approach even harder to understand. Guys like Bratt and Hughes are elite halfwall forwards who have the skill, quickness, and creativity to a ton of damage. But Recchi built the PP as if Hughes, Hischier, and Bratt were Pascal Dupuis, Troy Brouwer, and Milan Lucic (guys with heavy shots but no hands or creativity).

With all the talent available to the Blue Jackets, I really really hope we don't see this sort of PP again. It might work a bit better because they have Laine and Werenski, who are better distance shooters, but it probably won't matter too much. The best PPs are the ones that create odd man opportunities below the dots at high frequencies. Keep the puck in the hands of guys like Gaudreau and Johnson, and put them close enough to the net where they are actually a threat to score.

On a related note, I don't understand why teams keep putting JG13 so high on the PP (CBJ was guilty of this last year, and Calgary did this a lot as well). Like yeah he can make plays and facilitate but he's not a serious threat to beat a goalie from the blue line, and his ability to find loose pucks and clean up around the net/slot is all world. If Recchi is running the PP I guarantee he will be used as an umbrella man.

Hopefully Recchi has learned what not to do. I wouldn't be opposed to his hire if they felt satisfied that Recchi had learned from his mistakes. But I'm not optimistic either.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I was looking for more detail about how the NJ experience went and Whiskey gave me this:

Hopefully Recchi has learned what not to do. I wouldn't be opposed to his hire if they felt satisfied that Recchi had learned from his mistakes. But I'm not optimistic either.
That was also a young Devils team that was bad in many area's so I dont worry too much about what NJ did or did not do. There is also this.

Recchi started off his coaching career as a development coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2014-15 season. He quickly rose up through the ranks and became an assistant on Mike Sullivan’s staff for the 2017-18 season, and he was often tasked with running the power play during the three seasons he spent in that role. While he was in Pittsburgh they had the third-best power play in the league during his stint, with a power play percentage of 23.8 through those 233 games.

Im mostly just curious to see if he and Vincent have the balls to take Werenski off PP1

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
people are way too spun-up about the power play stuff imo.

his job is way more than that – he's going to be in charge of the forwards. new jersey's young forward core all had their breakouts under recchi (hughes, hischier, bratt, mercer).

that's just his time from new jersey. in pittsburgh, he ran player development, which churned out guys like guentzel, rust and sheary, before getting promoted to assistant coach before their second cup. he spoke about how he helped phil kessel transform his game – clearly it worked because he put up like 90+ points that year. spending three years as the assistant coach working with crosby and malkin can only help, too.

this hire isn't about fixing the power play, it's about turning guys like fantilli, johnson and marchenko into stars while they're in the NHL.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

• The Blue Jackets didn’t immediately replace McCudden, but they are still looking for another assistant coach. Two weeks ago they hired Mark Recchi. We’re hearing the likely candidate this time will come from inside the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad