Confirmed with Link: McCarthy, Boll to return as Assistants. Mark Recchi, Josef Boumedienne hired as assistant coaches. Niklas Backstrom Hired as Goalie Coach,McCudden out

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Take this with a grain of salt, no idea if this guy is reliable or if he has sources, but I’m going to float it out there as a possibility because it’s all we’ve heard.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
So we’d announce a goalie coach before a HC? Is that normal?
Yeah afaik Jarmo said earlier that they'd hire the coach first and then the goalie coach, if I remember right. So like mentioned, essentially another confirmation that Babcock is the head coach and it's just not being announced until later.

Interesting if Bäckström is the new goalie coach. He's been with the club for a while, maybe this has been a long-term plan all along. I would be slightly wary of that Twitter user though, I seem to remember they were involved in some Twitter CBJ drama wars and not on the 'good' side... (Don't crucify me if I'm wrong but that's how I seem to remember...)

Some other Finn can probably fill us in on Bäckström's career since 2018 after he hung up the skates? Afaik he's been "around" goaltending coaching in some teams (Kärpät?), has been around the national team, has worked as a guest expert on TV, and has of course been with the CBJ as some kind of goalie development coach (his LinkedIn says "Goalie Development Coach" but I think that's the old title and not some newsbreaking story).

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah afaik Jarmo said earlier that they'd hire the coach first and then the goalie coach, if I remember right. So like mentioned, essentially another confirmation that Babcock is the head coach and it's just not being announced until later.

Interesting if Bäckström is the new goalie coach. He's been with the club for a while, maybe this has been a long-term plan all along. I would be slightly wary of that Twitter user though, I seem to remember they were involved in some Twitter CBJ drama wars and not on the 'good' side... (Don't crucify me if I'm wrong but that's how I seem to remember...)

Some other Finn can probably fill us in on Bäckström's career since 2018 after he hung up the skates? Afaik he's been "around" goaltending coaching in some teams (Kärpät?), has been around the national team, has worked as a guest expert on TV, and has of course been with the CBJ as some kind of goalie development coach (his LinkedIn says "Goalie Development Coach" but I think that's the old title and not some newsbreaking story).
I think he's pretty much been the European Goaltending scout and handling the European prospects as well. I liked him as a player. This is his first big time coaching gig so we'll see how it translates to handle the NHL guys. As of now, both of our goalies will be European so that could help. I still expect us to pick up another goalie (or 2 for AHL depth) along the way.

With the swings Jarmo has taken on defense I don't think he's planning to stand pat in goal either with the injury issues Elvis and Tarasov had last year.

would be nice if we could get any intel on who the candidates are.

I feel like it is easier to get government nuclear secrets than info on our coaching searches lately.
Looks like someone came through. Maybe Jarmo had it written down on a paper in the bathroom.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Backstrom seemed like a very technically sound goalie. That’s exactly what Elvis needs if it translates into coaching.

To draw a comparison, I think Legace was not a technical goalie at all, but I can’t remember for sure.

Could be a good change.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Backstrom seemed like a very technically sound goalie. That’s exactly what Elvis needs if it translates into coaching.

To draw a comparison, I think Legace was not a technical goalie at all, but I can’t remember for sure.

Could be a good change.
Yeah Legace while very good had to play a bit different being 5'10" from what I remember. I dont think that affects your ability to coach though.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
As someone who's watched Backstrom since the late 90s but is not a goalie expert by any means, I remember him being an elite goalie positionally. Seemed always square to the shooter, almost never over committed on passes or shots, he covered a lot of net because of that and the way he stood, sort of like Bob. He also usually looked very calm and didn't give up rebounds easily, which are probably areas Elvis has been struggling. But unlike Elvis, Korpi or Bob, his lateral movement ability/recovery speed was poor, I'd say it was way below league average in the NHL. I don't recall him being a great shootout/1v1 goalie either.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
League sources have indicated to The Athletic that Niklas Bäckström, who has a tremendous playing career in Finland and with the NHL’s Minnesota Wild, is likely to take on the task. An announcement will likely be made by the Jackets this week.

Bäckström has worked with the Blue Jackets as the Europe-based goaltending development coach since 2019-20.
Porty confirms that Backstrom is the guy for goalie coach.

As for assistants:

Item #3: In limbo

The Blue Jackets can’t move forward with Babcock’s hiring until July 1 unless they reach an accord with Toronto to buy out the final month of his contract with the Maple Leafs. Until then, we likely won’t get an idea of who will be on Babcock’s staff.

Asked about the entire assistant coaching staff under former coach Brad Larsen — that’s associate coach Pascal Vincent, and assistant coaches Steve McCarthy, Kenny McCudden and Jared Boll — Kekalainen would say only that they “remain under contract.”

That doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ll be back with the club, however. Babcock has a coaching resume that spans 30 years, and he almost certainly has his own assistants in mind. He’ll likely be given latitude to bring in an entirely new staff if he wishes.

Vincent has been a candidate for the Blue Jackets’ top job during each of the last two vacancies. Kekalainen was so impressed with Vincent two years ago when he was interviewed for the job that went to Larsen that they compelled Vincent to move his family from Winnipeg to Columbus to become an associate coach.

During the lengthy process of replacing Larsen earlier this summer, Kekalainen continually stressed that Vincent was a candidate once again. At the same time, however, the Blue Jackets granted permission for Vincent to interview with Calgary (and possibly other clubs) for their openings.

Neither Vincent nor his agent, Neil Glasberg, responded to text messages this week. Neither did McCarthy, McCudden or Boll. Strange indeed.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
No.. that would be Nash

I’m don’t expect any of the assistants to be back . I’ve posted many times , Babcock is like Belichek as far as his assistant coaches . He gets the best coaches possible
I hope he goes full belichick and hires all the ex fired HCs that he can. Let’s bring in sutter, Eakins, Gallant

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So how does this make us better than last year if he was already on the staff?
He wasn't a coach...

He wasn't the one giving directions. Or even involved in instructing players.

Just because he was employed with CBJ doesn't mean he was involved with coaching...

Reactions: Halberdier

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He wasn't a coach...

He wasn't the one giving directions. Or even involved in instructing players.

Just because he was employed with CBJ doesn't mean he was involved with coaching...
Additionally, he wasn't even in the country as far as I know.

His role was listed as a development coach but I believe he did it all from Europe to work with any prospects we had over there in addition to scouting. We don't actually even have any European goalie prospect at the moment.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I'm not sure what to make of this hire. If we had hired a coach with a connection to Elvis, that would have said we're keeping Elvis. Instead we just changed the job title of someone with no apparent connection to Elvis or coaching. So I'm not sure how to read this, but it sure doesn't signal were doing all we can to salvage our investment in Elvis.

Reactions: OldGoaltender

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3