Confirmed with Link: McCarthy, Boll to return as Assistants. Mark Recchi, Josef Boumedienne hired as assistant coaches. Niklas Backstrom Hired as Goalie Coach,McCudden out

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

Guess we’re not getting Donskov

could mean they're looking to replace him in the fall :sarcasm:

if mccudden was providing value in his role as they said he was, it feels weird to not backfill his spot given the perceived urgency to win this year. or maybe i'm just overestimating the impact that a skills coach can have.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
could mean they're looking to replace him in the fall :sarcasm:

if mccudden was providing value in his role as they said he was, it feels weird to not backfill his spot given the perceived urgency to win this year. or maybe i'm just overestimating the impact that a skills coach can have.

I would think you might want to have a skills coach in the off-season because that might be a good time to work on skills. But what do I know? I just want a goalie who is decent and defensemen who can defend, so apparently I am out of step with the CBJ management in a number of ways.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I would think you might want to have a skills coach in the off-season because that might be a good time to work on skills. But what do I know? I just want a goalie who is decent and defensemen who can defend, so apparently I am out of step with the CBJ management in a number of ways.
does the CBA even allow players to work with team-employed coaches before training camp? i don't think it does.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
does the CBA even allow players to work with team-employed coaches before training camp? i don't think it does.

I dont know but having a guy in to at least look at tape, identify deficiencies, come up with ways to improve, etc. seems like it would be useful. We are talking about not just the CBJ players, but several Monsters that could get called up, and all the prospects. What is that? 40 to 50 guys? Sound like a fair amount of work to me.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I dont know but having a guy in to at least look at tape, identify deficiencies, come up with ways to improve, etc. seems like it would be useful. We are talking about not just the CBJ players, but several Monsters that could get called up, and all the prospects. What is that? 40 to 50 guys? Sound like a fair amount of work to me.
i don't know enough about their inner-workings to say for sure whether or not mccudden was the only coach who does that kind of stuff, though.

seems like they had him do the most of that, but i'm sure their other assistants give similar instruction. could be an indication that babcock doesn't need as much tactical input from the assistants as larsen did.

as for the AHL guys, i'm sure that vogelhuber and letestu have that covered. afaik the NHL staff barely works with the AHL players outside of camp, but they get frequent reports from their AHL staff and generally trust those reports.

Reactions: LJ7

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
My understanding is that this is how it works in other leagues, so I suspect this is true.

If they do have a handshake agreement with Donskov, they could delay his hiring so that he would be allowed to work with players right now. Pretty cool if it plays out like that.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's highly unlikely he was the only guy doing that. I would wager every coach up to and including Babcock watches game tape.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And maybe, just maybe that working too hard on basic skill sets in addition to the grind of a full schedule might just lead to more injuries due to stress on the body.

Skill development is something that should be focused on in offseason training. and then lightly revisited during the season.

In my mind, skill development is developing muscle memory on certain skills so they become easier and you don't have to think about how you do it. Much easier to do that when you also don't have to think about technical systems and what you do during the season.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Nah, it's okay. The organization doesn't value skills development. ;)

I do wonder if there were talks with CBJ and there was some sticking point. Maybe just on salary or job parameters.
Or maybe Babcock didn't like him (or vice versa)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I went back to the old Detroit teams to look at their staffs and got the answer I expected. Babcocks coaching staffs just had 2 listed assistant coaches, no skills coach or anything like that. Maybe he believes thats all the coaches duty and not a specific coach providing that service. We know hes more methodical and likes to do more video stuff and different types of preperation

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I guess a bump is in order..

Item No. 3: New coach

The Blue Jackets are in the process of hiring an assistant coach to fill the void created when Vincent was elevated last week to replace Babcock. The new coach will run the power play, which was one of Vincent’s roles the last two seasons as associate coach.

It’s not an ideal time to be looking for a coach, of course. Training camp is well underway and the preseason schedule starts today. But every summer a few coaches are left without a seat when the music stops playing on offseason hires.

“We’re looking at some names,” Vincent said. “We don’t want to rush it because it’s an important job. We want to take the time and find the right person.”

The Blue Jackets are believed to be considering candidates from within and outside the organization.

One obvious in-house candidate is former Blue Jackets forward Mark Letestu, currently an assistant with AHL Cleveland. Letestu retired from playing after the 2019-20 season following a 15-year NHL career.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

So much for experience?

Mark Recchi
Recchi became one of the top scorers in NHL history, a three-time Stanley Cup champion and a 2017 Hockey Hall of Fame inductee -- all despite being considered undersized and not a great skater.

He may not have coaching experience... but he has plenty of on ice experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad