Confirmed with Link: McCarthy, Boll to return as Assistants. Mark Recchi, Josef Boumedienne hired as assistant coaches. Niklas Backstrom Hired as Goalie Coach,McCudden out

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
IMO, he can be "consult" roster. :sarcasm:

We don't know how much influence the assistants had on the team's play. For example, most of us praise Vincent, but he was also an assistant. To Vincent, maybe we are bringing up the head coach. Babcock is 60 years old, so no one knows how long he will want to coach. And we'll have a replacement right on the team.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Working under Babcock is a huge resume item for Vincent. Countless coaches have come through under Babcock. I doubt "bitter pill" is the right way to describe Vincent's mindset right now.

That is puzzling. If he isn't allowed to talk to anyone then how can he be making decisions about his group? Must be back channels here.
I wonder if the asked him about his assistant choices during the interviews.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That is puzzling. If he isn't allowed to talk to anyone then how can he be making decisions about his group? Must be back channels here.
Well, I'll go out on a limb and say he not making decisions and Jarmo is. With the exception of getting the goalie coach in place, Jarmo won't fire anyone getting a paycheck right now unless the decisions is made after Babcock is in place.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There was this in the same article:
"But a source this week told The Athletic that the plan is for the assistants to begin working with Babcock when he comes aboard in July. If all goes as planned, they’d fulfill their final contract years."

So the front office wants them to stay to finish their contracts, but Babcock may not. If the latter, those guys are OTFD.

Reactions: Seedtype

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Guess it surprises me as well that Babcock doesn't get to pick his staff.
Maybe he's ok with it, but seems like they usually bring in one/some of their guys.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
It might not be that Babcock can't pick his own staff, it just may be the guys he wants aren't available this season. Sometimes assistants hang around through different coaches though. Two of three Vegas assistants have been around through two coaching changes. Donskov came over with Deboer, and Craig started on Gallants staff. We'll see when their contracts are up what happens. I think Babcocks second year may look different.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Bringing Jared Boll back is laughable And disturbing. Was really hoping for Babcock to broom the country club. Big ding, imo.
The Country Club members who need to be broomed are much more prominent members than Boll. They've got McConnell bamboozled.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
This is what I was worried about with us not just paying to buy out his Toronto deal. We lose out and any available assistants because they’ve signed elsewhere

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
For people who were around for the ACTUAL “country club” CBJ days, you would think they wouldn’t throw that phrase around.

This situation is nowhere near as bad as the CBJ 2005-12 era “country club”.

I know he’s not as popular with the fans as he used to be but that’s one thing I completely credit JD for. That shit got cleaned up quick when he got here

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
It can just be an interim thing, to switch up as few things as possible and maintain some stability. Let Babcock and the assistant coaches try it out for one season. If it doesn't work, replace the ones that Babcock does not gel with. Seems logical to me. It's rarely a good idea to clean house entirely.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Some continuity isn't a bad thing. If they don't perform well together they won't be long together. These guys also know player tendencies that might help Babcock on the front end. Vincent remains highly regarded and Boll was merely an understudy. It's the other two that I was more concerned with but we'll see how they fare under the new head coach.

Reactions: LJ7

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
If Babcock can't be on the job I doubt he can make contact with anyone about a position. They may keep them until the time comes that he can.
A safety net type thing? I can hardly believe that outside of possibly Vincent Babcock wants to be saddled with another's staff.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I suspect they firgured all of this out in the interview.
Jarmo- "Mike, you had some controversy with your treatment of players, how have you changed?"
Babcock- "I'm completely different now, I don't come down on players, I kick the shit out of my coaches."
Jarmo- "You're hired! I've got the perfect guys for you."

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It doesn't sound like you know anything about his job performance in his current role.
There's a reason why a guy like Gretzky made a terrible coach and these "nobodies" from their playing careers go on to make great head coaches.

Being able to play the game doesn't automatically equate to being able to break the game down and properly explain X's and O's.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00