Proposal: Marner trade ideas

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Been hearing that since The Rolling Stones were just a little pebble. I do agree though that Marner is a stud and will produce for years to come .

I doubt you were hearing that during the 80s or 04 to 15 where we sucked ass. This group is super young and itll take time for them to figure out what it takes

Reactions: BHD and uncleben

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Lol, I’d say if your team isn’t considered a Stanley cup contender, then your team is hurting. And no way is Toronto a contender.
The Blues were literally the biggest pretender in the Western Conference until they won the cup...11 years after Pietrangelo was drafted by them. Matthews, Marner and Nylander have just finished year 4. They got loads of time before they end up like the Blues choking label prior to winning it all.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
The Blues were literally the biggest pretender in the Western Conference until they won the cup...11 years after Pietrangelo was drafted by them. Matthews, Marner and Nylander have just finished year 4. They got loads of time before they end up like the Blues choking label prior to winning it all.
I’ll tell you right now that 2/4 of those players will not be with the leafs in 6 years time. St. Louis never really put themselves into cap hell until after they won the cup.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Why is there a marner trade prop every week. Leaf fans say he has the value of a 1c 80 point center, non leaf fans say he has the value of a play making winger but is over paid by 3 million. There is never middle ground found. So why do we do this exercise weekly

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Why is there a marner trade prop every week. Leaf fans say he has the value of a 1c 80 point center, non leaf fans say he has the value of a play making winger but is over paid by 3 million. There is never middle ground found. So why do we do this exercise weekly
Most leaf fans don’t say that. In fact it shows ur just ill informed

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
A team that can make it past the first round on a frequent basis.

And Toronto has trouble making it past the first round to begin with.

I agree with your definition, and you’re absolutely right about us not getting past the first round. I do believe we are a better team now than we were, but other teams have also improved.
I don’t agree with having 4 forwards take up half your cap. Just hoping we can at least get out of the first round. But if we don’t, I’m hoping Dubas is shown the door.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I don't think anybody would take Marner with that really bad deal even for free
Apparently the reason he’s paid so well is because teams were willing to give up 4 first round picks to sign him to an offer sheet worth even more than that.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I agree with your definition, and you’re absolutely right about us not getting past the first round. I do believe we are a better team now than we were, but other teams have also improved.
I don’t agree with having 4 forwards take up half your cap. Just hoping we can at least get out of the first round. But if we don’t, I’m hoping Dubas is shown the door.

Its too bad they couldn’t make some sort of trade and sign with one of Pietrangelo or Krug. Would have had to get rid of one of the big 4 forwards to do it though. But I feel like they have some work to do to become a better well rounded team. Hopefully Dubas isn’t f***ing them over for years to come. I guess we’ll see.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't see the Leafs being able to move Marners contract at all....... For anything.
Well, they are not trying to trade him, so there is that. They would definitely trade him for MacKinnon, a nice young defenseman or something like that, but you are right, there is not much the Leafs will accept for him.

Reactions: horner

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
hes making almost 11M though. not many teams are going to lineup to take that off the leafs hands. elite or not.
Its not take it off of our hands, To me Marner is as much a franchise player as Matthews.
Don't go by the HF polls, they are notorious for undervaluing Leaf players.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Well, they are not trying to trade him, so there is that. They would definitely trade him for MacKinnon, a nice young defenseman or something like that, but you are right, there is not much the Leafs will accept for him.

Rantanen would he a decent swap.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I don't see the Leafs being able to move Marners contract at all....... For anything.
Since the 03/04 lockout only 2 wingers have had more points before the age of 23 (Ovechkin/Kane), and only 2 winger have had a higher PPG under the age of 23 (Ovechkin/Kovalchuk).

We could most certainly trade him if we wanted to, but why do we want too?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yes Marner is elite. And he needs to be since he is being paid as an elite player....7th highest cap hit.

The issue with with Marner...and Matthews deals have been the term. Out of the top 20 cap hits in the entire league, only 2 players did not sign for 7 or 8 years....Marner and Matthews. That's where Dudas messed up.

As for Marner, plenty of people under rate him. Being a 90+ point threat should get you more respect and he would be a welcome addition to most teams. But the Leafs will be keeping him, as the should.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes Marner is elite. And he needs to be since he is being paid as an elite player....7th highest cap hit.

The issue with with Marner...and Matthews deals have been the term. Out of the top 20 cap hits in the entire league, only 2 players did not sign for 7 or 8 years....Marner and Matthews. That's where Dudas messed up.

As for Marner, plenty of people under rate him. Being a 90+ point threat should get you more respect and he would be a welcome addition to most teams. But the Leafs will be keeping him, as the should.

except the funny thing is. These contract lengths saved the leafs.

matthews can renew in 3 years. The cap should be basically flat and best case scenario is teams will just start to pull themselves out of it.

The leafs will have much less competition for a 12-14 million front loaded full Sb contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
except the funny thing is. These contract lengths saved the leafs.

matthews can renew in 3 years. The cap should be basically flat and best case scenario is teams will just start to pull themselves out of it.

The leafs will have much less competition for a 12-14 million front loaded full Sb contract.
He can renew in 3 years...but won't unless it's a deal he wants because he has nothing to lose waiting until after that 4th year.

Having Matthews for 7/8 years would be much better given the contract he got....same with Marner. They both will be pushing for 7 year deals on their next one you can bet....with or without the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad