Proposal: Marner trade ideas

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It’s too bad that Tavares has a NMC, because I think trading him for a defenseman would be the best path forward for Toronto.

Something like Tavares for a healthy Erik Karlsson would be a great deal for both teams in my opinion. That would allow the Leafs to keep a young, talented 1-2 punch in Matthews and Nylander while having a premier defender as well.

Kings aren’t interested in trading Doughty though, and especially not for a forward.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Still fits the criteria where you won't get their full value back in a trade considering their salaries. Marner and Price provide more value to their current teams than anything they return in a trade.
I don’t know if that’s the case with Marner. At that age, and being cost controlled, he is a very desirable piece. At least compared to and older player who is on the downside of his career. Combine that with teams don’t want to tie up a large % of their cap in a goalie and the two really aren’t similar situations.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
P. Byron
B. Kulak
C. Primeau
J. Ylonen
V. Mete
J. Armia
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick
2025 7th round pick

for

Mitch Marner

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
P. Byron
B. Kulak
C. Primeau
J. Ylonen
V. Mete
J. Armia
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick
2025 7th round pick

for

Mitch Marner

Would you trade Suzuki for that package? Even with his contract, Marner has more value than Suzuki so if you wouldn't accept that package for Suzuki, then why would Toronto even consider it?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Pastrnak and Kucherov are on good contracts... nice examples..... try again
You see Marner is currently little overpaid. you know it, I know it, Leafs know it and every GM knows it.
Marner will not bring back proper value due to his cap hit and the trade offers wouldn't be worth it. There fore He's more valuable to the Leafs than any other team.

What about teams who want a top 15 producer while only paying a salary of $7.2 M, which will soon be the case? There's many of those.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Still fits the criteria where you won't get their full value back in a trade considering their salaries. Marner and Price provide more value to their current teams than anything they return in a trade.

The point was contract isn't the only issue, age is. One guy is just entering his prime. That's a pretty huge factor. Heck even then, over the past 3 years for goalies with over 100 GP Price falls tied for 21/22 on save percentage (yes I know, just one stat and there's reasons for it). That literally puts him at the top of the bottom third. When he's on, he's on but if you were comparing tradeability, one has a lot more question marks than cap hit.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
7.2? Pretty sure it’s closer to 11 mil then 7.

Nope, both he and Matthews will soon have $7.2 M salaries. Very attractive to teams that don't have deep pockets.

My bad...$8 M salary ($7.25 in signing bonus, $750 K in actual salary).

Reactions: Kegs

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
P. Byron
B. Kulak
C. Primeau
J. Ylonen
V. Mete
J. Armia
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick
2025 7th round pick

for

Mitch Marner
I am going to see if I can come up with a pkg from the Habs I would be comfortable with.
Gallagher+Caufeild+Romanov for Marner? if you swap Petry for Gallagher drop Romanov and add a decent pick.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I am going to see if I can come up with a pkg from the Habs I would be comfortable with.
Gallagher+Caufeild+Romanov for Marner? if you swap Petry for Gallagher drop Romanov and add a decent pick.

We have no interest in Marner at his price. I would much rather pay that contract to two bangers like Anderson and Toffoli then one dipsy doodle playoff disappearing Marner.

Reactions: viceroy

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Nope, both he and Matthews will soon have $7.2 M salaries. Very attractive to teams that don't have deep pockets.

My bad...$8 M salary ($7.25 in signing bonus, $750 K in actual salary).
Okay. Fair enough. But it’s still close to 11
Mil Against the cap. U guys right. It’s a front loaded contract. But the cap hit is evenly spread. It’s the cap hit that’s crippling. Not the actual dollars. But hey you know what. Maybe a bottom feeder team with lots of cap can absorb it. But still. They probably only giving a couple high draft picks. Unlikely to get a player of his caliber back. I actually love his game. He so talented. He is my favourite leaf right now.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We have no interest in Marner at his price. I would much rather pay that contract to two bangers like Anderson and Toffoli then one dipsy doodle playoff disappearing Marner.

Career regular season PPG
Marner: .97
Toffoli: .57
Anderson: .43

Career Playoff PPG.
Marner: .84
Toffoli: .46
Anderson: .38

If Marner is described as "playoff disappearing", then Toffoli and Anderson must be ghosts. But they can bang!

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Marner would have gotten 12-13 mil long term if he was a UFA in 2019. He's a valuable player, but his cap hit is higher than a lot of comparables. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have a lot of value.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Career regular season PPG
Marner: .97
Toffoli: .57
Anderson: .43

Career Playoff PPG.
Marner: .84
Toffoli: .46
Anderson: .38

If Marner is described as "playoff disappearing", then Toffoli and Anderson must be ghosts. But they can bang!

Do the math. For less than the price of Marner, Toffoli and Anderson's point totals are more during the regular season and equal during the playoffs. Add in the fact that both of those players bring so much more than just their offensive output, then yes, I stand by my assertion that I would rather spend that kind of money on those 2 RW, then Marner. Marner's contract is just bad and there is no way around that. Oh...and you proved my point about Marner disappearing in the playoffs. He dropped by .13 pts per game. Any idea how many of those points are PP points? Don't cherry pick stats.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Top 15 production at what will soon be a $7.2 M salary. Sure, no one touches that. :help:

And an $11 Million cap hit...its a bad contract. Many players of similar AND SUPERIOR skill are paid less. Some, like MacKinnon, make almost HALF of Marner and are a better player.

MacKinnon, Pastranak, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Point, Barzal, Pettersson, Huberdeau, Aho, Connor, etc.

None of the guys mentioned are available for trade because...theyre on better contracts while producing as well or better.

Marner is good but one cant help but wonder if he would succeed without star support of Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, etc.

Id take any of the above players, as well as many others, over Marner.

Reactions: Luckylarry

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Marner would have gotten 12-13 mil long term if he was a UFA in 2019. He's a valuable player, but his cap hit is higher than a lot of comparables. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have a lot of value.

Marner wouldve been paid like or better than McDavid?

Doubt. Aho got an OS of like $8.6??? Yeah, Marner might not even get $10 per

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Marner wouldve been paid like or better than McDavid?

Doubt. Aho got an OS of like $8.6??? Yeah, Marner might not even get $10 per
McDavid wasn't a UFA, and if he was a UFA he would have had max salary contract offers by many teams, guaranteed.

Also Panarin got 11.8*8 as a UFA while posting similar numbers to Marner and being 5 years older.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And an $11 Million cap hit...its a bad contract. Many players of similar AND SUPERIOR skill are paid less. Some, like MacKinnon, make almost HALF of Marner and are a better player.

MacKinnon, Pastranak, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Point, Barzal, Pettersson, Huberdeau, Aho, Connor, etc.

None of the guys mentioned are available for trade because...theyre on better contracts while producing as well or better.

Marner is good but one cant help but wonder if he would succeed without star support of Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, etc.

Id take any of the above players, as well as many others, over Marner.
I really like MM. He’s an all situations, 90 point, play driver. I just don’t like his 11 million dollar cap hit, and believe it (like all players’ contracts) effects his trade value. I look at a similar player in Johnny Hockey, and see (imo not as good a player as MM) a really good contract, so he has more trade value. Yes, he has only two years left, but his cap hit right now is really good.
Maybe a Marner for Johnny Hockey trade would be close to fair, considering their contracts?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Do the math. For less than the price of Marner, Toffoli and Anderson's point totals are more during the regular season and equal during the playoff. Add in the fact that both of those players bring so much more than just their offensive output, then yes, I stand by my assertion that I would rather spend that kind of money on those 2 RW, then Marner. Marner's contract is just bad and there is no way around that. Oh...and you proved my point about Marner disappearing in the playoffs. He dropped by .13 pts per game. Any idea how many of those points are PP points? Don't cherry pick stats.

1) I'm fine if you prefer to have Toffoli and Anderson vs. Marner and want to spend the dollars there. That's a reasonable stance and wasn't disputing that. I disagree with it, but that's fine and recognize it depends on the team/situation.

2) I was strictly commenting on your disappearing act statement. AS to that:
  • His playoff PPG is much better than the two guys you commented on. Yes, he get paid more but is vastly superior player who is scoring at twice the rate of each of those guys.
  • His drop is 13% in the playoffs vs. regular season. Anderson's is 12%. Toffoli's is 19%. So if you are saying Marner "disappears in the playoffs" but are extolling the virtues of Toffoli and Anderson, shouldn't you comment about their disappearing act as well? After all, their numbers dropped similarly or more than Marners.
  • Of course players PPG is going to be worse in the playoffs vs. regular season. In the regular season, you get to play bottom feeder teams/non-playoff teams 1/2 of the time. In the playoffs, you only play the better teams so it's naturally going to be harder to score in the playoffs vs. regular season. A slight drop in scoring, particularly when you are scoring at .84 PPG, is hardly disappearing in the playoffs. The data doesn't support your assertion.
As to cherry picking stats, how did I cherry pick? I used the most basic measure of success known, scoring throughout their careers. It's the least cherry picking one can do.

As to the question about power play, what's that got to do with it? Do Power Play goals count less in the NHL? When teams score on the PP, do they only get a 1/2 of a goal? Do PP points count less in NHL scoring races? Talk about cherry picking.

As to his contract? It's on the high side for sure, but if he continues to be a 90+ point player for the duration of the contract, it's fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad