Proposal: Marner trade ideas

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think the Panthers would. They've (the fans) been pretty vocal about Ekblad being irreplaceable in their line up. Marner and his contract doesn't get Ekblad and I am not sure what player would.
I thought it might be a fair deal, but that extra cap (3 mil for MM) does make it less doable.
I really like Marner though, and think he’s a top notch all situations player. Ekblad is, of course, really good too.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think the Panthers would. They've (the fans) been pretty vocal about Ekblad being irreplaceable in their line up. Marner and his contract doesn't get Ekblad and I am not sure what player would.

It certainly wouldn't make Florida better. They would be spending a lot more money to be a worse team. They have nothing that could come remotely close to filling the hole in their roster moving Ekblad would create.

Before losing Dadonov and Hoffman, the Panthers scored at about the same clip that the Leafs did, so going out and adding offence wasn't likely on their To-Do list, though the exits of the aforementioned might have changed that.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You are bang on with how this has affected our ability to address our other areas of concern.
Hmm I don't know about this one. Dubas has made us harder to play against this year with some great budget signings, and he has made moves to strengthen the Defense in 3 straight years (obvi Barrie didn't work as well).

It's definitely tough to maneuver with 40 million in 4 players, but I'd say Dubas has navigated the issue decently. Also it's not like we have big money in bad players. The 4 guys are all stars.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yep: it’s a move that makes the Leafs better and us worse before considering contracts: Ekblad’s performance last year was stellar; this board undervalues him because he didn’t get much time on the power play which refreshed headline stats. 3rd in the league in ES points for D!

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Hmm I don't know about this one. Dubas has made us harder to play against this year with some great budget signings, and he has made moves to strengthen the Defense in 3 straight years (obvi Barrie didn't work as well).

It's definitely tough to maneuver with 40 million in 4 players, but I'd say Dubas has navigated the issue decently. Also it's not like we have big money in bad players. The 4 guys are all stars.

I agree that he has made moves that, if Simmonds is healthy and stays healthy, and if at least one of Bogosian, Holl, Dermott, or Lehtonen can be a top 4 dman, and Joe Thornton plays like he did a few seasons ago, then we are definitely a better and harder to play against team.

I hope it all works out, because I’m a huge Leafs fan. And if the Leafs can go deeper into the playoffs with what we have (and not just a one season fluke), then I will be the first to admit that I was wrong about Dubas and those contracts.

St Louis515

Nov 18, 2018
What would it take from St Louis ? Tarasenko is on LTIR to start the year, but would like need to be in the deal some how to make cap $$ work. Maybe something along the lines of Dunn, young top four dman/ Kyrou, top propect, cheap goal scorer, and Tarasenko ?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@Jean Luc Discard and I have discussed Yandle + Connolly for Marner.
Connolly is younger and cheaper than Hornqvist.

Maybe Stralman instead of Yandle if you want some more defensive minded guy?

Ekblad has never panned out and is one hit to the head from possibly retiring. He's still a good player though.

Hornqvist just got here so probably unlikely he moves right away.

Hamilton would be great but his next deal will be pretty big and you have to figure out if you want to keep or can afford Rielly long term?

The discussions we have when we are on drugs are so crazy, eh?

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
What a terrible thread, marner isn't getting traded, so take these ten pages of garbage and close it up. Marner is going to be a 90 point plus player for years to come and its only a matter of time before toronto hits their expectations.

But Toronto has all their cap in 4 players blah blah blah. Each player is an absolute stud and y'all can get your dirty paws off of them, theyre here to stay.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
What a terrible thread, marner isn't getting traded, so take these ten pages of garbage and close it up. Marner is going to be a 90 point plus player for years to come and its only a matter of time before toronto hits their expectations.

But Toronto has all their cap in 4 players blah blah blah. Each player is an absolute stud and y'all can get your dirty paws off of them, theyre here to stay.
McDavid for Marner, Sandin, +

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Who knew having half the salary cap locked into 4 players was going to hurt Toronto. Such a surprise

It does when the top 4 are all forwards.

The other problem...itsthat way for the next 4 years. It be easier if it was staggard where one per year contract was ending so they could transfer cap to defense.

You should limit your F space to under 60% of the cap unless you have 1-2 yr flexibility with having some lower cost players on D filling higher roles.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
What would it take from St Louis ? Tarasenko is on LTIR to start the year, but would like need to be in the deal some how to make cap $$ work. Maybe something along the lines of Dunn, young top four dman/ Kyrou, top propect, cheap goal scorer, and Tarasenko ?
Absolutely not.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Toronto doesn't have a reason to pursue this.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
It does when the top 4 are all forwards.

The other problem...itsthat way for the next 4 years. It be easier if it was staggard where one per year contract was ending so they could transfer cap to defense.

You should limit your F space to under 60% of the cap unless you have 1-2 yr flexibility with having some lower cost players on D filling higher roles.

We have a lot of NHL ready cheap contracts on their ELC or coming off their ELC on forward and defence:

Forwards: Korshkov Anderson Hallander Engvall Mikheyev Robertson

Defence: Sandin Liljegren Lehtonen Dermott Holl

Plus we have found out that Toronto is a placed where some players want to play for cheap: Simmonds Thornton Spezza etc.

Rielly is the only contract remaining to sign in a couple years with Brodie and Muzzin locked up.

If the Leafs can exploit all this then we should be fine filling out the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: violaswallet

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
its only a matter of time before toronto hits their expectations.

Been hearing that since The Rolling Stones were just a little pebble. I do agree though that Marner is a stud and will produce for years to come .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad