Proposal: Marner trade ideas

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
-He's only 23

- Special offensive talent

- PPG player during the season (or close)

- Produced in the playoffs as well

- Established chemistry with linemates

I would hold on to him.

Reactions: NinjaKick and Kegs

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Its not take it off of our hands, To me Marner is as much a franchise player as Matthews.
Don't go by the HF polls, they are notorious for undervaluing Leaf players.
Doesnt have anything to do with people's opinions on here. fact is. hes making alot of money. not many teams can fit that in their system and no one is going to pay up to get him. Marner kinda is one of those valuable players that are more valuable to the team he plays for than any other team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What team has a player (or players) making the same total cap Marner is, and that team is willing to trade those players for Marner? Plus, the Leafs have to want to trade Marner for that return.
Draisatl? That’s clearly a no from the Oilers
Stamkos? No from the Leafs
Doughty? Maybe from both
Kane or Toews? No from the Leafs
OV or Sid? Of course not
Erik Karlsson? No from the Leafs

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
What team has a player (or players) making the same total cap Marner is, and that team is willing to trade those players for Marner? Plus, the Leafs have to want to trade Marner for that return.
Draisatl? That’s clearly a no from the Oilers
Stamkos? No from the Leafs
Doughty? Maybe from both
Kane or Toews? No from the Leafs
OV or Sid? Of course not
Erik Karlsson? No from the Leafs

I don't think the Leafs can justify trading Marner for Doughty given the significant age difference. Marner's contract will probably improve with time. Doughty's will get worse with time.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Doesnt have anything to do with people's opinions on here. fact is. hes making alot of money. not many teams can fit that in their system and no one is going to pay up to get him. Marner kinda is one of those valuable players that are more valuable to the team he plays for than any other team.
By your logic then anyone who gets paid is better for their team than anyone else and no one would want them or "pay up for them". Pasta, worthless, Kucherov, worthless.....no one would want them....

Try again.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
By your logic then anyone who gets paid is better for their team than anyone else and no one would want them or "pay up for them". Pasta, worthless, Kucherov, worthless.....no one would want them....

Try again.
Pastrnak and Kucherov are on good contracts... nice examples..... try again
You see Marner is currently little overpaid. you know it, I know it, Leafs know it and every GM knows it.
Marner will not bring back proper value due to his cap hit and the trade offers wouldn't be worth it. There fore He's more valuable to the Leafs than any other team.

Reactions: Kegs

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You see Marner is currently little overpaid. you know it, I know it, Leafs know it and every GM knows it.
Marner will not bring back proper value due to his cap hit and the trade offers wouldn't be worth it. There fore He's more valuable to the Leafs than any other team.
Marner is fine. The only time he will get traded is when the Leafs decide they want to trade him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I agree he is a bit overpaid but not by much. I also agree the flat cap era is not the best time to trade him but of course these are strange times. We arent planning to move him so this is all pretty irrelevant but this narrative he is worthless implies all NHL GM's are idiots, which they aren't.

It's pretty tiresome always hearing how your players are special and not worth anything but everyone else's are. It's like you guys think 90 point players are common, they aren't. There are also teams that could afford him. Hell a team was willing to pay him that and give up draft picks for him but now suddenly no one would want him? Wishful thinking.

Yes Covid has changed the market and may have hurt his value but really we won't know unless the Leafs actually trade him. In the end we are both guessing and debating something that doesn't matter because he is not available.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I agree with all the people saying he sucks. Oilers will take him for Neal and Nurse.

But seriously I think given a little more time to settle in and some Leafs fans getting over him getting paid what he did he'll show he's a top end player once again.

His offense will obviously carry him but what I've seen he's sneaky smart on the back check and that aspect of his game should continue to grow.

I think the people saying his contract is a problem are out to lunch. It's not ideal especially with covid but he's still one of those players that's almost impossible to replace.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
why would the leafs want to trade such a talent ?

Mitch will have a solid year next season and everyone can go quiet again

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I agree he is a bit overpaid but not by much. I also agree the flat cap era is not the best time to trade him but of course these are strange times. We arent planning to move him so this is all pretty irrelevant but this narrative he is worthless implies all NHL GM's are idiots, which they aren't.

It's pretty tiresome always hearing how your players are special and not worth anything but everyone else's are. It's like you guys think 90 point players are common, they aren't. There are also teams that could afford him. Hell a team was willing to pay him that and give up draft picks for him but now suddenly no one would want him? Wishful thinking.

Yes Covid has changed the market and may have hurt his value but really we won't know unless the Leafs actually trade him. In the end we are both guessing and debating something that doesn't matter because he is not available.
For the record I'm a Leafs fan, and I don't think it's smart to trade him at all. and if we were to, the players or player I'd want back would be off limits so what would be the point. cap hit is lousy right now which really sucks. would have looked alot better if the cap went up that 4 or 5 M it was suppose to before covid struck. now with covid making things difficult it's going to kill the cap from raising for I think up to 2 years it looks even worse.

I wouldn't take too much into any of that. our opinions dont mean anything. GMs make mistakes all the time. I personally do believe that Marner is a perfect example of a player who has alot of value but loses alot because of that cap hit. so he's more valuable to us than any team looking to acquire him. also this forum is very negative towards anything that is Leafs related.

People just want to trade Marner because hes the most likely out of the 3. Tavares with his full NMC. No way in hell they trade Matthews and then theres Marner. we can make things work with him in the lineup even if his cap hit sucks

Reactions: BlueBaron

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
why would the leafs want to trade such a talent ?

Mitch will have a solid year next season and everyone can go quiet again

People won't go quiet. He's had solid seasons for the last 3 seasons (even this past one, just that it was shortened due to injury and covid) and it's not kept trade proposals from coming.

17/18: 22G, 60P in 82G
18/19: 26G, 94P in 82 G
19/20: 16G, 67P in 59 G (which is 22 Goals, 93 Points for an 82 game pace).

He's averaging 24 goals / 85 points per 82 games for the last 3 seasons combined. You would think that would quiet down the offers, but it doesn't so I don't think it will in the future.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Marners great. But his cap hit is crippling with this salary cap. He might get some good draft picks. Maybe prospects. No gm is trading a super star with a way better contract for marner. It’s delusional if they think they are getting a player who has similar stats and skill set but with a better contract. Then the post is suggesting other teams toss in other prospects and players on top
Of It. If anything the leafs would have to make up for the contract difference by adding prospects and picks. Or maybe retaining salary. It’s crazy how fans think they can offload their problems on other teams with out taking some sort of hit. It’s not a video game. Other managers aren’t taking on a crippling contract and giving up their best
Players +prospects and/or other roster players.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad