Proposal: Marner trade ideas

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Aren’t we discussing Marner for Laine though? That’s a fantastic young player in return for MM. (imo Toews doesn’t return that level of player of that age.)

I could be wrong, but do you get the impression from Laine that he’s all about getting his points, as opposed to helping the team be a winner?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Habaholic25

Oct 22, 2020
I could be wrong, but do you get the impression from Laine that he’s all about getting his points, as opposed to helping the team be a winner?

Put Marner with Kerfoot and stick him there and you will start to see Marner complain about it. Laine was playing with Little who is better than Kerfoot but he wants to play with Schefele. Talent loves to play with talent. You appear to be a Leafs fan so you should understand that the way you are top heavy with two good centers.

What about Nylander playing with Kerfoot and not with either of Matthews or Tavares? You get the point?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Jesus murphy there are some hot takes in here. Marner is an ELITE winger in the game and I fully expect multiple 100+ point seasons.
We have to add for Laine ahahahahahahaha. Even Laine at 5mil compared to Marner at 11 hurts the Leafs. We would be a much worse team with Laine in the lineup over Marner
Remember when Laine was better than Matthews:laugh::laugh:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You did see the initial trade proposal right?...you asked for him

@TheImpatientPanther and I are the two common Panthers fan on the board; we have an implicit agreement to avoid proposing trade proposals with Toronto and most Canadian franchises for a reason.
Obviously, very few players that the Panthers are willing to trade would get the Leafs that you would want.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Marner’s issue is his cap hit: I love him as a player but he and a replacement level player takes the same cap as Huby and Barky. It just reduces operating flexibility and makes any non 90+ point seasons a waste

I’m a Leafs fan. Have been for a long time. Not so much a Dubas fan. It’s probably just me, but I get the impression from him that he thinks he’s way smarter than everybody else. Matthews is our franchise #1 center. I feel okay about the contract he got. If Nylander continues to improve the way he did this season, his contract might, in time, be considered a bargain.

When we drafted Marner, I felt we got the right player (hindsight is always 20/20, Proverov would have certainly addressed our defence), but he got WAY too much money. You are bang on with how this has affected our ability to address our other areas of concern.
I truly believe Dubas is wrong in his belief that you can win while paying 4 forwards $40 million.

Reactions: violaswallet

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Put Marner with Kerfoot and stick him there and you will start to see Marner complain about it. Laine was playing with Little who is better than Kerfoot but he wants to play with Schefele. Talent loves to play with talent. You appear to be a Leafs fan so you should understand that the way you are top heavy with two good centers.

What about Nylander playing with Kerfoot and not with either of Matthews or Tavares? You get the point?

I agree that talent loves to play with talent. Was Laine getting 1st PP minutes? And was he not playing with Conner/Connor (sp?)?
And should it not be good enough to be playing top 6 minutes?
And if Marner or Nylander started to complain about wanting to play with player x, I wouldn’t hesitate to start looking to trade either one of them (provided it was beginning to affect the team). Also, it would not be for pennies on the dollar. It would have to make sense, which is what I believe Winnipeg’s GM is looking at.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
This is even worse than the first one. People comment that your proposal is bad, so now Florida is adding one of their top prospects?

Leafs would do the first one but not Florida, Leafs would probably not do the second one, leafs say yes to the third/ Calgary says, Calgary says yes to the fourth/ leafs say no

As a Flames fan....these aren't bad. Would do #2 for sure. The issue would be unloading the cap, so it might not work.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
For sure. FLA doesnt have any defense assets to land Marner so we're out.
I need more school.
Your right they don't... yandle ?? AE? Nope... mayhmbe you could package Hornqvist with Yandle ???;lol...off top of my head I can think of very few D that the leafs would trade Marner for straight up..Hedman of course, josi yes, Hamilton yeah , Jones..maybe..

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Your right they don't... yandle ?? AE? Nope... mayhmbe you could package Hornqvist with Yandle ???;lol...off top of my head I can think of very few D that the leafs would trade Marner for straight up..Hedman of course, josi yes, Hamilton yeah , Jones..maybe..

@Jean Luc Discard and I have discussed Yandle + Connolly for Marner.
Connolly is younger and cheaper than Hornqvist.

Maybe Stralman instead of Yandle if you want some more defensive minded guy?

Ekblad has never panned out and is one hit to the head from possibly retiring. He's still a good player though.

Hornqvist just got here so probably unlikely he moves right away.

Hamilton would be great but his next deal will be pretty big and you have to figure out if you want to keep or can afford Rielly long term?

Reactions: Jean Luc Discard

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The Florida one favours the Leafs for sure, the Minnesota trade doesn't and it's crap value for Toronto. I'd do the Tkachuk from a Leafs perspective, not the Gaudreau one.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

I don't recall Marner complaining when he spent a year and a half on Bozak's wing.

Habaholic25

Oct 22, 2020
I don't recall Marner complaining when he spent a year and a half on Bozak's wing.

I don't think Laine is "complaining". I think he just would "prefer" to play with Schefele. Talent always wants to play with talent.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Obviously, very few players that the Panthers are willing to trade would get the Leafs that you would want.
True we make bad trade partners and another reason why we don’t propose trades as Florida fansBoth teams are identical in having top end talent: you have your core of MM/AM/JT/MR and we have AB/JH/AE. (You have one more; we have insanely good contracts) Both teams lack those non star valuable assets: Weegar is the only one on Florida on the big team; probably Nylander is the one on Toronto Everyone else are veterans or more important to the current team

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’m a Leafs fan. Have been for a long time. Not so much a Dubas fan. It’s probably just me, but I get the impression from him that he thinks he’s way smarter than everybody else. Matthews is our franchise #1 center. I feel okay about the contract he got. If Nylander continues to improve the way he did this season, his contract might, in time, be considered a bargain.

When we drafted Marner, I felt we got the right player (hindsight is always 20/20, Proverov would have certainly addressed our defence), but he got WAY too much money. You are bang on with how this has affected our ability to address our other areas of concern.
I truly believe Dubas is wrong in his belief that you can win while paying 4 forwards $40 million.
Eh I understand: we lived with Tallon for ten years and essentially we just learned that we lucked out for our best outcomes

Tallon’s problem was UFA: he would toss big contracts to mid tier players who weren’t part of a consistent vision; it looks like Dubas isn’t ruthless enough with his draft picks. Nashville has done a great job moving a few out on D when they become too expensive

Reactions: Beleafer34

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
In all seriousness, Marner is only really readable for another high end player on a contract signed pre Covid: he is an excellent player but >10.5 is a lot for a winger in this environment. (I will have angered all the Leafs fans with this statement but I will say it anyways: Unlike Panarin, I cant say I’ve seen Marner drive a line/team by himself for a prolonged period of time. Maybe he can, but he hasn’t had the opportunity)

The problem I see is that Toronto is the main team that gives our giant contracts to RFAs so there is no natural trade fit. Josi, Subban, Karlsson and Doughty are the only 9M plus defensemen and all are older/franchise center pieces or Subban

Marner is the tasked with zone entry and primary facilitator on his line since his 2nd year. He is one of the few wingers that drive play.

Which make sense because if you look at Toronto’s centre position, both Matthews and Tavares are goal scoring centremen.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

That happened.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I don't think Laine is "complaining". I think he just would "prefer" to play with Schefele. Talent always wants to play with talent.

If he isn’t complaining, why did his agent tell Cheveldayoff it would be “mutually beneficial” for the Jets to trade him (or for Laine to play elsewhere)?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
@Jean Luc Discard and I have discussed Yandle + Connolly for Marner.
Connolly is younger and cheaper than Hornqvist.
You can put in
Maybe Stralman instead of Yandle if you want some more defensive minded guy?

Ekblad has never panned out and is one hit to the head from possibly retiring. He's still a good player though.

Hornqvist just got here so probably unlikely he moves right away.

Hamilton would be great but his next deal will be pretty big and you have to figure out if you want to keep or can afford Rielly long term?
I'd make that trade two minutes after Florida agrees to a Marincin+ Kerfoot - Barkov + Knight deal.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Would Dubas do Marner for Ekblad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad