Proposal: Marner trade ideas

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
What about teams who want a top 15 producer while only paying a salary of $7.2 M, which will soon be the case? There's many of those.
still going to be a very high cap hit for the team. but it helps I guess. unless a team over pays and gives us proper value. I dont think Leafs should even entertain the idea of trading him. his cap hit really makes things tough. Leafs will be nice I dunno how good they can get might be a long 5 years

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Okay. Fair enough. But it’s still close to 11
Mil Against the cap. U guys right. It’s a front loaded contract. But the cap hit is evenly spread. It’s the cap hit that’s crippling. Not the actual dollars. But hey you know what. Maybe a bottom feeder team with lots of cap can absorb it. But still. They probably only giving a couple high draft picks. Unlikely to get a player of his caliber back. I actually love his game. He so talented. He is my favourite leaf right now.
It depends on the team. Some teams cap matters, others it's salary. Upside with the salary ones is they often have better prospects and picks.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
still going to be a very high cap hit for the team. but it helps I guess. unless a team over pays and gives us proper value. I dont think Leafs should even entertain the idea of trading him. his cap hit really makes things tough. Leafs will be nice I dunno how good they can get might be a long 5 years
Oh I wouldn't either. We can and we will. I just find it laughable anyone thinks those are difficult to move. Every year we hear about untradeable players and every year they get moved. Usually they are talking underperformers. These are two top 15 performers just entering their prime.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
And an $11 Million cap hit...its a bad contract. Many players of similar AND SUPERIOR skill are paid less. Some, like MacKinnon, make almost HALF of Marner and are a better player.

MacKinnon, Pastranak, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Point, Barzal, Pettersson, Huberdeau, Aho, Connor, etc.

None of the guys mentioned are available for trade because...theyre on better contracts while producing as well or better.

Marner is good but one cant help but wonder if he would succeed without star support of Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, etc.

Id take any of the above players, as well as many others, over Marner.

That's usually because they didn't have the resume to back the salary (nor at such an early age) hence got market value.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Do the math. For less than the price of Marner, Toffoli and Anderson's point totals are more during the regular season and equal during the playoffs. Add in the fact that both of those players bring so much more than just their offensive output, then yes, I stand by my assertion that I would rather spend that kind of money on those 2 RW, then Marner. Marner's contract is just bad and there is no way around that. Oh...and you proved my point about Marner disappearing in the playoffs. He dropped by .13 pts per game. Any idea how many of those points are PP points? Don't cherry pick stats.

McDavid drops by .28. Bum?

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
McDavid wasn't a UFA, and if he was a UFA he would have had max salary contract offers by many teams, guaranteed.

Also Panarin got 11.8*8 as a UFA while posting similar numbers to Marner and being 5 years older.

Panarin got 7 years not 8, max for UFA. And thats the NYR. Panarin is 1 PPG on the CBJ. You dont realize how hard that is. Marner would probably put up 50-60 points on CBJ.

Panarin is so good he got 3 point in 29 games Josh Anderson a $30 million dollar contract. Incredible

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Isn't this thread done by now?

No Leaf fans are interested in trading Marner and I'm not really interested in hearing what other teams fans think of him if this thread is any indication of value.

Close er up!
It won’t get closed. It’s good business for the boards to troll the large fan bases. It creates more clicks. It’s a not so well hidden secret. In fact I think they basically gave up denying it. Lol.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
....or Dubas just overpaid...which seems more likely
Do you think people on 53 point seasons command what people on 90+ point seasons do? A common fallacy on HF is pretending that people's production post contract signing has bearing on what they signed for at the time. It's completely non-sensical. When Lou signed Rielly and Kadri, they got market value based on their production to date. A couple years later said deals looked great. He never would have been able to sign Rielly to said deal had he been coming off his 70 point season. Really not difficult to understand.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Right, he should have picked who again?

What? The whole idea behind picking BPA is that you view the prospects as assets with set values and then trade or keep them according to your team's needs. They should've traded him for a future top pairing D before signing him to that huge contract.

Marner is an elite player, being paid like an elite player.

Paying that kind of coin for any Winger save Ovie is foolish IMHO.

I feel like Marner, with his current contract is very similar to Price.
  • World Class Player
  • Will make your team better
  • Acquiring teams would not part with the equal value of the player due to the contract

But by how much? Would the Habs do better with Price or Marner? Price may be expensive but for MTL it was a no-brainer.

I would love to have him in mtl, marner is a 90 point kid.

But he wouldn't be a 90pt player on the Habs would he?

At the price of Suzuki?

Heck no! A potential #1 C vs an overpaid albeit Elite C would be horrible personnel management.

Laine for Marner.

Laine's next contract would probably be just as bad as Marner's especially with Dubas at the negotiating table.

...there are only a handful of players league wide that would even get the talks started. Florida has none of these unless you say Hedman is in Florida!!

Marner doesn't get you Hedman. Heck Tampa wouldn't give you Hedman for Matthews.

Marner is an ‘albatross contract’ at 10.9, but in another thread Toews at 10.5 is returning multiple assets...

Both contracts are bad.

He's not being traded, would be dumb to trade him.

Yeah. Dumb to trade from a position of Strength to fill in a position of Weakness.

Boeser + Rafferty + 1st?

Money wouldn't work. Money makes any contract involving Marner difficult.

Remember when Laine was better than Matthews:laugh::laugh:

Silly. Matthews was a Centre.

I don't see the Leafs being able to move Marners contract at all....... For anything.

I was thinking for something like Marner for Gaudreau + Lucic.

But Priceis closer the end of his career than the start of it.

At least Goalies have much longer primes. Wingers usually have much shorter primes.

Mitch will have a solid year next season and everyone can go quiet again

But what if the Leafs get dropped in the 1st Round again? Does it stay quiet then?

P. Byron

for

Mitch Marner

Not enough for Marner and Money won't work. Kinda like most of these offers.

Nov 1, 2011

Does t work for the Leafs or Canucks?

As a VAN fan, I find a way to make Mariner for Boeser + Rafferty + 1st work...saves TO cap.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Does t work for the Leafs or Canucks?

As a VAN fan, I find a way to make Mariner for Boeser + Rafferty + 1st work...saves TO cap.

yeah Toronto keeps their 94pt guy, nucks can keep their 56 point guy

unless its a similar young talent D coming back no dice.

so yeah hughes. dont wanna do it? thats fine both teams keep their guy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
....or Dubas just overpaid...which seems more likely

name one guy who already had 94pts on their resume that got significantly less that marner, not including 2-3 year bridge guys)

yeah you cant can you

but but mackinnon gets 6.3 (dude was a 50-60pt guy)
Pasta gets less than 7 (dude was a 75pt guy)

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Laine for Marner.

Jets get rid of their headache.

Leafs take lesser player for cap savings.

Put Laine with Mathews or Tavares and he’ll pot 50 with his eyes closed.
If the Jets can afford Marners contract, they can afford to keep and pay Laine, which would be preferable to trading him.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What? The whole idea behind picking BPA is that you view the prospects as assets with set values and then trade or keep them according to your team's needs. They should've traded him for a future top pairing D before signing him to that huge contract.

Paying that kind of coin for any Winger save Ovie is foolish IMHO.

But by how much? Would the Habs do better with Price or Marner? Price may be expensive but for MTL it was a no-brainer.

But he wouldn't be a 90pt player on the Habs would he?

Heck no! A potential #1 C vs an overpaid albeit Elite C would be horrible personnel management.

Laine's next contract would probably be just as bad as Marner's especially with Dubas at the negotiating table.

Marner doesn't get you Hedman. Heck Tampa wouldn't give you Hedman for Matthews.

Both contracts are bad.

Yeah. Dumb to trade from a position of Strength to fill in a position of Weakness.

Silly. Matthews was a Centre.

I was thinking for something like Marner for Gaudreau + Lucic.

At least Goalies have much longer primes. Wingers usually have much shorter primes.

But what if the Leafs get dropped in the 1st Round again? Does it stay quiet then?

Not enough for Marner and Money won't work. Kinda like most of these offers.
I agree tampa wouldn't do marner for Hedman but he is the type of D the leafs would trade marner for ONLY..the other idiotic ideas about marner for a 4/5 guy is ridiculous....

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Heading into 5th season in NHL he has exactly 1 season over 70 pts. With a csp hit of 10.9 i can say for certain, that contact is not tradeable.
Congratulations. You can also say for certain that the Earth is flat, but that doesn't make you any more correct. Perhaps stay in the slow lane for now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Heading into 5th season in NHL he has exactly 1 season over 70 pts.

LOL. Love how people phrase things certain ways to to try to make their point. While technically correct, it is misleading at best.

Heading into 5th season. True, but why not just say he has only 4 NHL season?
Has exactly 1 season over 70 points. True, but:
1) He has also had a 69 point season.
2) His "1 season over 70 points" is 94 points. It's substantially over 70 points.
3) Last season, he had 67 points in 59 games and would have easily been over 70 points if not for the Coronovirus.

Let me rephrase it differently, while still being factually correct:

"With only 4 seasons under his belt, he averages 23 goals / 80 point per 82 games through his career, has a 94 point season while only 21/22 years old, and was on pace for 93 points this past season, which was shortened by the Coronovirus (and injury). Over the past 2 seasons, he's 12th in the NHL among forwards in Points/game over, ahead of guys like Matthews, Eichel, Rantanen, Point, Bergeron, Ovechkin, Gaudreau, etc..."

With a csp hit of 10.9 i can say for certain, that contact is not tradeable.

Nonesense. Lucic's contract was tradeable, so any contract is tradeable. If the Leafs tried trading Marner, there would be more than a few teams that would try and trade for him. I'm not saying the contract is some sort of bargain. IMO, it is too high, but not so high that teams still won't want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad