Player Discussion: Marko Dano

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
This boards love affair with guys like petan and dano is borderline insane. These 2 were healthy scratches for a reason. 2 teams poasibly 3 now have moved on from dano now. Every team... Some x 2 passed on Petan also. They are just dime a dozen players really.

This is very bad logic. I mean. 28 teams (26?) Passed on pavel datsuyk 6 times. He clearly was never good.

Phil Kessel got traded twice. He's certainly not a stanky cup caliber player.

Kyle turris got scratched rarely used by his coach in Pheonix, he was clearly awful and never amounted to anything.

Come on, this logic is stupid when you apply it to players outside of "our" sphere, it should hold the same in it.

Dano scores at a rate given the opportunity he has been given that is very good. Good enough that it warrants more opportunity. You can't score when your not in the ice. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. He helps put up points in the limited minutes he's given. That sure sounds like a guy who could, dare I say, be undervalued?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
They don't have to. McPhee has a n AHK affiliate btonbuild as well.

I imagine there will be lots of moves for "petan " level prospects and additional picks (2018) as well.

I highly doubt the only currency be in play is 2017 draft picks.

There will be 3-4 willing to deal those. There will beb3-4 teams like the jets with enough your they can afford to ship out s good looking prospect for a sure thing. And there will be 2-3 teams willing to do something bigger (a higher value player for two lessers due to cap hit, organizational needs, or pure depth)

Fact is the rules handcuff McPhee Into nabbing 27 NHL one non waiver eligible players, thats six more then any team has ever rolled into an NHL training camp with.

I agree that it's unusual but what remains to be seen is if he actually picks players that have the right "currency" If he ends up with a glut then perhaps there's an opportunity to do some bargain shopping.

For instance would it be better to just draft a Lipon or a Kosmachuk directly if those are the kind of players you end up with in a trade

^ these are just examples of players who could clear waivers. I'm not suggesting they will be selected.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So if Dano goes, the Ladd trade is...

Andrew Ladd for Logan Stanley......yuck

How does this even make sense? If Dano gets selected in the XD doesn't mean he didn't have value. Teams can only protect 8 or 10 skaters which means on average teams will lose someone in the middle of their lineup. This and a late 1st round pick remains fair value for a TD UFA. There will be players significantly more valuable than Dano available, and teams who will lose less. Interesting some NYI fans have advocated to ask Ladd to waive his NMC to be exposed to LV. Would that then mean we traded nothing to get Stanley and our XD protection?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It would be Andrew Ladd and a 2nd for Stanley and Green. That's...not any better. :laugh:

Add Armia. I can't tell if people don't understand how these things work, or just like to take shots using false analysis.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
All I know is Marko Dano is a better player than Adam Lowry or Andrew Copp, but it's likely we're going to lose Dano in the expansion draft. I don't really know how to feel about that. It's obvious he's not going to get a fair shake here, though. Maurice sees him as a top six player, but he's not good enough to supplant any of the people in our top six. Oh, if only he would build an adequate Top 9.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All I know is Marko Dano is a better player than Adam Lowry or Andrew Copp, but it's likely we're going to lose Dano in the expansion draft. I don't really know how to feel about that. It's obvious he's not going to get a fair shake here, though. Maurice sees him as a top six player, but he's not good enough to supplant any of the people in our top six. Oh, if only he would build an adequate Top 9.

I don't buy that Dano is better than Lowry. He's different, scores better at ES but Lowry brings a number of other things to the table that make him a valuable piece. He also plays the more valuable position. Dano vs Copp is close imo. We have to lose someone this summer and while Dano is i undervalued by the team he plays a position where the Jets have the most depth and as such won't be a substantial loss

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
On the positive side, the discussion around this overvalued player will soon be over. Thank god.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't buy that Dano is better than Lowry. He's different, scores better at ES but Lowry brings a number of other things to the table that make him a valuable piece. He also plays the more valuable position. Dano vs Copp is close imo. We have to lose someone this summer and while Dano is i undervalued by the team he plays a position where the Jets have the most depth and as such won't be a substantial loss

It would be interesting to know a little more of what was going on behind the scenes with Dano. It seems a little bit odd that he was buried even deeper in Coach Q's doghouse than Maurice's.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Dano's career path seems dedtined for 1 of two directions.

On one hand he could be a Michael Frolik, who gets undervalued for the majority of his careerntil finally getting the minutes his play deserves at like 28 and everyone realizes he's a good player..

Or he could go the way of Peter meueller who put up wonderful underlying numbers in limited minutes every where he played but for whatever reason never got a real chance and faded.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Dano's career path seems dedtined for 1 of two directions.

On one hand he could be a Michael Frolik, who gets undervalued for the majority of his careerntil finally getting the minutes his play deserves at like 28 and everyone realizes he's a good player..

Or he could go the way of Peter meueller who put up wonderful underlying numbers in limited minutes every where he played but for whatever reason never got a real chance and faded.

I'm of the opinion that Dano has not worked hard at his conditioning, and that's been part of the reason for him moving around. He puts up good offensive numbers in limited minutes but doesn't have the conditioning to play full out in all zones of the rink. There's a chance he gets serious about it, but teams might not be inclined to take that risk with him when they are forced to choose.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Can't wait for Dano to be drafted by LV, traded to NJ, and then put up 60pts with Kovalchuk and Stemp.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'm of the opinion that Dano has not worked hard at his conditioning, and that's been part of the reason for him moving around. He puts up good offensive numbers in limited minutes but doesn't have the conditioning to play full out in all zones of the rink. There's a chance he gets serious about it, but teams might not be inclined to take that risk with him when they are forced to choose.

That may be. But he's never been given the opportunity, it's pure assumption at this point.

Fact remains he's been effective in the minutes given. He hasn't been given the chance to fail yet, or show that his conditioning isn't up to snuff in more minutes.

Which isn't going to make convincing him his conditioning is off any easier if you don't even let him prove it to your or himself.

I: he's been good enough in one zone in the limited minutes he's gotten to negate any negative impact in the other zones. At the end of the day the only argument against him is based on an untested assumption that he wouldn't continue to produce/be effective in more minutes.

If only there was a way to test that...

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Toronto fans said the same about Kessel & his lack of conditioning......
You don't have to be a Gary Roberts disciple to play in this league.
Dano is one of those guys that Maurice doesn't like for whatever his reason is.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
So if Dano goes, the Ladd trade is...

Andrew Ladd for Logan Stanley......yuck

They didn't trade Andrew Ladd.... they traded 3 months of Andrew Ladd, as he was a UFA.

Very, very different.

Not to mention the fact that we dodged a significant bullet not re-signing a 30 point player (8 assists last year playing essentially every game!!!!) for 7(!!!) years, $40M including a full NMC, which messes up the XP draft...

I'd HAPPILY take just Logan Stanley for that. I'd take a new garbage bin for the locker room in order to avoid that contract...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah it really should be:

The memory of Andrew Ladd for Stanley.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
For Stanley and Green i guess but whatever... who cares, whats done is done really.

Stanley has potential still to be a good player, i don't think anyone should write him off just yet... i think it's way 2 early to do that, reminds me of people writing morrissey off almost immediately also.

Regardless, Dano... I like him but i feel he needs to be in a top 6 role to be at his best and I'm sorry, regardless of what people think, he aint taking the spot of Wheeler, Ehlers,Laine,Perreault,Connor even... bottom line here is he's a bottom 6 player on this team.... is it really that big of a deal if we lose him? I think he's somewhat easily replaceable actually, I think your average fan won't even notice he's gone.

I get HFboards is the place where these guys tend to be either totally over rated (dano, petan) or completely buried (morrissey at the time and stanley is now the new whipping boy) but... every team is going to lose a player and if all we lose is DANO, as much as i like him, i'd say we got off pretty darn easy .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That may be. But he's never been given the opportunity, it's pure assumption at this point.

Fact remains he's been effective in the minutes given. He hasn't been given the chance to fail yet, or show that his conditioning isn't up to snuff in more minutes.

Which isn't going to make convincing him his conditioning is off any easier if you don't even let him prove it to your or himself.

I: he's been good enough in one zone in the limited minutes he's gotten to negate any negative impact in the other zones. At the end of the day the only argument against him is based on an untested assumption that he wouldn't continue to produce/be effective in more minutes.

If only there was a way to test that...

I don't disagree entirely, but coaches and management make decisions based on what they see both on and off the ice, and in practice and games. If they see a young player that just doesn't put the work in to get and stay in shape, they are more likely to be skeptical of their potential to ever be a core player. Dano looks like he'll be an effective player, but I can understand how coaches and management would prioritize Armia and Copp over him, all things considered.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Regardless, Dano... I like him but i feel he needs to be in a top 6 role to be at his best and I'm sorry, regardless of what people think, he aint taking the spot of Wheeler, Ehlers,Laine,Perreault,Connor even... bottom line here is he's a bottom 6 player on this team.... is it really that big of a deal if we lose him? I think he's somewhat easily replaceable actually, I think your average fan won't even notice he's gone.

I get HFboards is the place where these guys tend to be either totally over rated (dano, petan) or completely buried (morrissey at the time and stanley is now the new whipping boy) but... every team is going to lose a player and if all we lose is DANO, as much as i like him, i'd say we got off pretty darn easy .

He doesn't need to play in the top-6. He needs to play with players not named Thorburn and Tanev. Take a look at teammates CF% WOWY (according to NaturalStatTrick, score zone and venue adjusted, for the 16-17 season):

kFkChMR.png

(Excuse the inclusion of D)

With Lowry, Thorburn, and Tanev, his TOI spent with one of those players on the ice is below 50%. Take a look at the column "CF% Without Dano", and you can see (and this is just my assumption based on how NST collects and analyzes data) that the teammates' CF% during Dano's "TOI Without" (aka during the times he played a game but was not on the ice with that player) DECREASES roughly 5%. That's heavy.

Meanwhile, with Petan, Copp, and even Wheeler (AND even Stafford and Burmistrov), they all posted a CF% above 50%, and with the exception of Wheeler and somewhat Petan, those teammates without Dano all experienced a drop in CF%.

This is all, of course, in a somewhat small 38 game sample size (due to a lower body injury late December). But there's still good reason to believe that Dano elevates the play of those he is with, and with the right teammates perform much better than some line combos we have seen in the past. You can only elevate the play of Thorburn and Tanev so much, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad