Player Discussion: Marko Dano

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I agree. I fully expect Vegas to be selecting ten 2017 RFA's.

I think they are the best chips McPhee will use to barter with.

As discussed elsewhere they'll be immediately trading at least 8 of their selections either literally at the ED or sometime in the 2 weeks leading to July 5th.

I'm not so sure about your assumption that that may players will be traded immediately. A few will but the flat cap might muddy the waters in that area

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
This has Expansion Draft written all over it. I think it can be assumed that it is more than likely that Enstrom has waived his NMC.

VGK and McPhee seems completely uninterested in creating a competitive team now - they want to stack as many RFAs and draft picks as possible to build from within, or trade for assets in the future. Why would they pick a 32-year-old LHD on his last year going into UFA?

Gotta feel for Dano though. He keeps getting moved around yet putting up good numbers, but his skating is so visually awkward, scouts must really dislike him.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Have you done a mock draft yet?

Things get messy with regards to this when nearing the end of ones selections.

Just tried doing a mock draft without overthinking stuff. Ended up with only 7 unsigned RFAs and I'm very sure two of them won't be available (Josh Anderson and Calvin de Haan).

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not so sure about your assumption that that may players will be traded immediately. A few will but the flat cap might muddy the waters in that area

McPhee said in his TSN interview that losing his selections to waivers was of paramount concern & as a result would be dealing the excess players immediately.

He went to list July 5th as his deadline as most teams will have made their free agent signings by then & admitted waiting until after this date could have dire consequences.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I'm a big dano fan. I love how he plays the game. If he gets selected by vegas it will probably be best case for him and for the jets too. He could get a top 6 role and put up points and the jets dont lose any D and have the F depth to replace him.

He gets a top six role on this team I don't watch another game.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
McPhee said in his TSN interview that losing his selections to waivers was of paramount concern & as a result would be dealing the excess players immediately.

He went to list July 5th as his deadline as most teams will have made their free agent signings by then & admitted waiting until after this date could have dire consequences.

Yeah fine that's what McPhee said but waivers doesn't happen until september. There is plenty of time. I know he wants draft picks in the upcoming draft so that's where the urgency comes from. I'm not sure 1/3 of the league is about to trade draft picks for players. Maybe 3 or 4 teams do.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
This has Expansion Draft written all over it. I think it can be assumed that it is more than likely that Enstrom has waived his NMC.

VGK and McPhee seems completely uninterested in creating a competitive team now - they want to stack as many RFAs and draft picks as possible to build from within, or trade for assets in the future. Why would they pick a 32-year-old LHD on his last year going into UFA?

Gotta feel for Dano though. He keeps getting moved around yet putting up good numbers, but his skating is so visually awkward, scouts must really dislike him.

I'm not so sure that Enstrom has waived. The extra two hours, each way, on flights back to visit his (ill) girlfriend in Sweden from Vegas seems like it wouldn't be ideal for him. Furthermore, at this stage of his career, exposing yourself to being sent down to the minors is a gamble I wouldn't want to take.

It doesn't seem like there is any advantage for him to waive, unless he wants out or is getting traded to a contender. Vegas definitely won't be a contender to start, so that's out....

The fact that he will neither confirm nor deny whether they even asked him suggests to me that he doesn't want to say. Which, to me, suggests the Jets asked and he's said no. If that's the case, it's unlikely we ever find out whether they asked or not, so he won't look like the "bad guy".

That's my hypothesis given the facts at hand.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I'm not so sure that Enstrom has waived. The extra two hours, each way, on flights back to visit his (ill) girlfriend in Sweden from Vegas seems like it wouldn't be ideal for him. Furthermore, at this stage of his career, exposing yourself to being sent down to the minors is a gamble I wouldn't want to take.

It doesn't seem like there is any advantage for him to waive, unless he wants out or is getting traded to a contender. Vegas definitely won't be a contender to start, so that's out....

The fact that he will neither confirm nor deny whether they even asked him suggests to me that he doesn't want to say. Which, to me, suggests the Jets asked and he's said no. If that's the case, it's unlikely we ever find out whether they asked or not, so he won't look like the "bad guy".

That's my hypothesis given the facts at hand.

If that's the case, there would be no reason to sign Dano this early. As a comparison Lowry and Armia signed their RFA deals on July 14th last summer. With the expansion draft looming, I doubt Chevy would make it a priority for no reason..

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah fine that's what McPhee said but waivers doesn't happen until september. There is plenty of time. I know he wants draft picks in the upcoming draft so that's where the urgency comes from. I'm not sure 1/3 of the league is about to trade draft picks for players. Maybe 3 or 4 teams do.

Listen to the interview again.

Following "free agent frenzy" in the first few days of July, most teams will have addressed their 2017-2018 roster concerns.

http://www.tsn.ca/mcphee-vegas-will-build-through-entry-draft-1.764973

Direct quote from that interview between McPhee & Lebrun.

"We can't keep 30 players because we can't get six or seven players through waivers if we wanted to, most of them are not waiver exempt. We'll do the best we can and I would say there will probably be a lot of transactions between the day we announce the picks (on June 21) and the entry draft (on June 23), because you know in this business, you have to move players quickly and make your changes quickly because once you get into July 5, there's not a lot of liquidity in the market, people have made their decisions and you don't want to get stuck holding the bag."

Also relevant that McPhee offers up this information without being questioned about it. It's obviously at the forefront of his mind.

Although "picks for players" is one avenue Mcphee will want done before the entry draft, he'll also be trading "prospects for players." He'll have an easier time at the draft table once he has some semblance of knowing what he has in his organization. It's quite likely these deals will happen quickly.

Further although McPhee will have "months" to worry about waivers, the point he made in his interview was that his option would become limited once the first few days of free agency were over & finding takers for his overflow would become more difficult.

Major deals are imminent.

Last edited:

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Even if Thorbs was re-signed and exposed, Vegas selects Dano/Copp over Thorbs.

I like Dano, but the argument for Dano over Copp diminished substantially in my view over the course of last season. Copp has shown himself to be an effective and versatile player with some unexpected offense. He skates really well. Being a best buddy of Trouba and very popular on the team might also factor in. He's known for having natural leadership capabilities, and that matters to the Jets apparently.

I'm with you. I really liked the progression of Copp's game last year. Nothing against Dano, but I'd choose Copp over him at this point without hesitastion.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed with those that see the Dano signing as paving the way for the Jets to go 7-3-1. Makes you think there is a strong likely that Toby was asked to waive is NMC and he has agreed. All things being equal losing Dano is not an bad outcome for the XD.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He gets a top six role on this team I don't watch another game.

Bit of an odd reaction. If LV forward depth is weak enough that Dano gets a top 6 role you will stop watching the Jets? Dano would likely evolve into a useful bottom 6 player for the Jets but you have to lose someone. He is not someone we can't replace internally with Connor and Roslovic likely moving up this season. Much better than losing a player like MP IMO.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Listen to the interview again.

Following "free agent frenzy" in the first few days of July, most teams will have addressed their 2017-2018 roster concerns.

http://www.tsn.ca/mcphee-vegas-will-build-through-entry-draft-1.764973

Direct quote from that interview between McPhee & Lebrun.

"We can't keep 30 players because we can't get six or seven players through waivers if we wanted to, most of them are not waiver exempt. We'll do the best we can and I would say there will probably be a lot of transactions between the day we announce the picks (on June 21) and the entry draft (on June 23), because you know in this business, you have to move players quickly and make your changes quickly because once you get into July 5, there's not a lot of liquidity in the market, people have made their decisions and you don't want to get stuck holding the bag."

Also relevant that McPhee offers up this information without being questioned about it. It's obviously at the forefront of his mind.

Although "picks for players" is one avenue Mcphee will want done before the entry draft, he'll also be trading "prospects for players." He'll have an easier time at the draft table once he has some semblance of knowing what he has in his organization. It's quite likely these deals will happen quickly.

Further although McPhee will have "months" to worry about waivers, the point he made in his interview was that his option would become limited once the first few days of free agency were over & finding takers for his overflow would become more difficult.

Major deals are imminent.

Yeah but you have to have willing partners. You can't force trades unless you're giving them away for peanuts.

I'm just saying it may not be as easy as he makes it seem. Time will tell. It's a D & D league now. I just can't see 1/3 of the teams parting with coveted draft picks just before the draft.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Sure. Only reason I mentioned Thorburn is that had he been signed to a one year NHL minimum deal, it would have at least give me some hope that they were opting to protect Dano and expose Copp.

Please no talk of any Thorburn signing to meet the exposure requirement. That would only mean one thing. A signed Chris Thorburn still on our roster and sooner than later on the ice. I'd prefer they signed a nobody UFA who met the requirement who wouldn't come with unlimited "loyalty" points. That way he could be buried on the Moose after he's not selected.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Please no talk of any Thorburn signing to meet the exposure requirement. That would only mean one thing. A signed Chris Thorburn still on our roster and sooner than later on the ice. I'd prefer they signed a nobody UFA who met the requirement who wouldn't come with unlimited "loyalty" points. That way he could be buried on the Moose after he's not selected.

^This!
over and over and over ......

No more Thor, Please!

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah but you have to have willing partners. You can't force trades unless you're giving them away for peanuts.

I'm just saying it may not be as easy as he makes it seem. Time will tell. It's a D & D league now. I just can't see 1/3 of the teams parting with coveted draft picks just before the draft.

He'll have less potential partners with every UFA signed.

That's why he'll move quick.

And I never brought up picks...you can't fill a minor league affiliate with picks.

They needs prospects from somewhere...hint hint

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He'll have less potential partners with every UFA signed.

That's why he'll move quick.

And I never brought up picks...you can't fill a minor league affiliate with picks.

They needs prospects from somewhere...hint hint

Yeah I already said I think there will be some deals for prospects and picks. I just don't think there will be quite so many as you suggest. I also think they'll actually just select some AHL guys.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah I already said I think there will be some deals for prospects and picks. I just don't think there will be quite so many as you suggest. I also think they'll actually just select some AHL guys.

Mirco Mueller is one that I have my eye on.

You have anyone in mind?

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If this means that Dano is the odd man out for the XD than am not happy about this. Hopefully they sign Copp tomorrow. Dano may not be a top line scorer but I think he will be an Andrew Cogliano esque ideal middle 6 player and the Jets will regret it. Jets should be getting a sweetner from Vegas for exposing Dano

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Assuming he waives, does Vegas get anything for not drafting Enstrom?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If this means that Dano is the odd man out for the XD than am not happy about this. Hopefully they sign Copp tomorrow. Dano may not be a top line scorer but I think in a he will be an Andrew Cogliano esque ideal middle 6 player and the Jets will regret it. Jets should be getting a sweetner from Vegas for exposing Dano

This boards love affair with guys like petan and dano is borderline insane. These 2 were healthy scratches for a reason. 2 teams poasibly 3 now have moved on from dano now. Every team... Some x 2 passed on Petan also. They are just dime a dozen players really.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Assuming he waives, does Vegas get anything for not drafting Enstrom?

No? Why would they. I wouldnt give them anything atleast. Really? For not taking an overpaid 30 plus yr old coming off the worst season of his career? Why. Id give them both of our 7th rounders to TAKE him regardless of the hole it creates on the left.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This boards love affair with guys like petan and dano is borderline insane. These 2 were healthy scratches for a reason. 2 teams poasibly 3 now have moved on from dano now. Every team... Some x 2 passed on Petan also. They are just dime a dozen players really.

Pretty much agree. I see it pretty much a toss up between Copp and Dano to protect as a #7 forward. It makes sense that they see Copp as a little more versatile being able to play center, and therefore a little more valuable. Interesting you mention Petan as I think Chevy should dangle him and a small sweetener to be able to hold onto Dano.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Because the coach has no idea what he is doing? That's the only reason I see.

Dano is a quality middle 6 player with lots of upside still. Scores at a borderline top 6 rate while playing with terrible players. It's hilarious how underrated he is. Compared to players with no offense at all like Armia and Lowry are somehow highly valued.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

They don't have to. McPhee has a n AHK affiliate btonbuild as well.

I imagine there will be lots of moves for "petan " level prospects and additional picks (2018) as well.

I highly doubt the only currency be in play is 2017 draft picks.

There will be 3-4 willing to deal those. There will beb3-4 teams like the jets with enough your they can afford to ship out s good looking prospect for a sure thing. And there will be 2-3 teams willing to do something bigger (a higher value player for two lessers due to cap hit, organizational needs, or pure depth)

Fact is the rules handcuff McPhee Into nabbing 27 NHL one non waiver eligible players, thats six more then any team has ever rolled into an NHL training camp with.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00