Player Discussion: Marko Dano

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I like the possibilities of Perreault - xxx - Armia. I'm assuming Connor starts the year there but moves up to 2LW at some point. xxx could be Lowry but I would rather a more offensively gifted 3C. Petan could be very good there with his passing/playmaking game. It needs to be tried to find out. If not him then Copp deserves a trial there. Then we have Roslovic and Harkins developing. Its too soon to count De Leo out too.

If neither Petan nor Copp can succeed there I go back to Lowry until one of the prospects is ready/able to push him down. But the other candidates need to be tried/given a chance.

We could have a strong, dynamic third line and a very good 4th line:
Perreault - Petan/other - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Matthias/other RW
Our bottom 6 does not have to be a weakness. In fact it could be a strength.

Based on last year it appears that Maurice has some rigid ideas about how the bottom 6 needs to be structured that don't make the best use of his assets.

I like Perreault-Copp-Armia as the third line. Copp is the one who'd have to be putting the biscuit in the basked, because the other two don't possess much in the way of a snipe. I'd lean to Copp over Lowry and Petan for the same reason.

If one prefers Lowry as third line C, I think you need to put Connor on the left side. Connor-Lowry-Armia would also be a solid third line (couple possession guys and a sniper).

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I love what he did last year as a checking winger and PK'er. Potential be damned. He made the MLA line effective in the shutdown role. The weakness in our bottom 6 was 100% Maurice. He had the players available to build a much better bottom 6 but refused to use them according to their strengths.

I also still think he has at least a little more offensive potential if given decent linemates. Maybe quite a lot of offense. Who knows?

Not to mention that we are a little short on RW's. Armia gives us 3. If he was lost to expansion we are down to 2. How is no RW's making our bottom 6 better?

How about we do what other teams do? Look at our strengths and weaknesses and adjust accordingly through trades and free agent signings? I mean, if those aren't viable options for this organization, I really don't see much hope for now and in the future.

Sure, Maurice is part of the problem. I'm as loud as anyone in calling for his dismissal. But we need better on-ice talent, too. Armia dropping to the 4th line to replace Thorburn, and in a PK role? I'm fine with that. But this 3rd "checking line" thing? Jesus H, every line should be capable of being a checking line. It's part of the job description. Look after your defensive responsibilities, and convert your opportunities when they appear.

Sure your top lines will be better at the latter, but having two lines that are just a black hole of offense most nights won't get it done. Sorry if I come across as ranting at you, but Chevy refuses to take my calls so... :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hence the small percentage. :laugh:
Seriously, though, Thorburn didn't dress for the season opener. I think (or try to believe?) that the plan was to run four lines who could all contribute. Alas, that plan was derailed as soon as Little went down in game 1, and all the subsequent injuries kept the shuffle going all season.

I have to concede that it looked that way at the beginning. By the time Little got back it had become clear that MP was not going to succeed at C.

It may be that what Maurice saw (including practice) of Petan and Copp convinced him that they couldn't be 3C's either. Therefore - the MLA line. I would like to have seen it tried for my own satisfaction. Petan at 3C just screams 'natural fit' to me.

But that gives hope for the future. Maybe Maurice will go with a more dynamic structure when he gets a 3C he likes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have to concede that it looked that way at the beginning. By the time Little got back it had become clear that MP was not going to succeed at C.

It may be that what Maurice saw (including practice) of Petan and Copp convinced him that they couldn't be 3C's either. Therefore - the MLA line. I would like to have seen it tried for my own satisfaction. Petan at 3C just screams 'natural fit' to me.

But that gives hope for the future. Maybe Maurice will go with a more dynamic structure when he gets a 3C he likes.

To me it seemed like he panicked late in the year when all the criticism was coming and reverted to his comfort zone. I certainly hope management has talked to him and that they will try it again.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like Perreault-Copp-Armia as the third line. Copp is the one who'd have to be putting the biscuit in the basked, because the other two don't possess much in the way of a snipe. I'd lean to Copp over Lowry and Petan for the same reason.

If one prefers Lowry as third line C, I think you need to put Connor on the left side. Connor-Lowry-Armia would also be a solid third line (couple possession guys and a sniper).

Fair enough. Makes sense.

But I think Perreault and Armia could thrive finishing Petan's setups too. Needs to be tried. I think Connor is destined for top 6 minutes.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
To me it seemed like he panicked late in the year when all the criticism was coming and reverted to his comfort zone. I certainly hope management has talked to him and that they will try it again.

I think it's more likely that all the injuries stopped his plan to have 3 scoring lines.

Every time someone came back from injury another 2 went on the IR. The third line in game one was connor-perreault-laine.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it's more likely that all the injuries stopped his plan to have 3 scoring lines.

Every time someone came back from injury another 2 went on the IR. The third line in game one was connor-perreault-laine.

Sure but the last 15 or so games he had all the forward pieces back and healthy but still elected to use his default 2 scoring, a checking and whatever you'd call his 4th line. That would have been the ideal time to trial some things out imo.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Sure but the last 15 or so games he had all the forward pieces back and healthy but still elected to use his default 2 scoring, a checking and whatever you'd call his 4th line. That would have been the ideal time to trial some things out imo.

The season ending success will only confirm in Maurice's mind that he had it right all along. I harken back to his post-season comment on changes to expect. The players will be 5 months older. :help:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How about we do what other teams do? Look at our strengths and weaknesses and adjust accordingly through trades and free agent signings? I mean, if those aren't viable options for this organization, I really don't see much hope for now and in the future.

Sure, Maurice is part of the problem. I'm as loud as anyone in calling for his dismissal. But we need better on-ice talent, too. Armia dropping to the 4th line to replace Thorburn, and in a PK role? I'm fine with that. But this 3rd "checking line" thing? Jesus H, every line should be capable of being a checking line. It's part of the job description. Look after your defensive responsibilities, and convert your opportunities when they appear.

Sure your top lines will be better at the latter, but having two lines that are just a black hole of offense most nights won't get it done. Sorry if I come across as ranting at you, but Chevy refuses to take my calls so... :laugh:

You haven't seen me say anything about going forward with Armia on a "3rd checking line" unless all higher skilled options have failed.

I see Armia as the checker/defensive player on a skilled 3rd line that can score. I think he will also get his share of points when with skilled linemates.

I want Armia on a good 3rd line and Matthias & Lowry on a very good 4th line.

If things worked out the way I hope then Copp is also on that 4th line and Matthias has to play his other wing. Not sure but I believe he has played RW before so he is the one I move over.

Matthias can PK. Lowry gets PP time. Copp should develop on the PK. Armia plays PK. MP and Petan get PP time. So all 6 would get special teams time.

If this doesn't work out then it is up to Chevy to make some roster changes that do work. Petan is the most likely first point of failure. If he can't handle 3C you don't turn the entire bottom 6 into trash. You find a 3C. That is a lot easier than finding a top 6 C. Either internally or externally, find one. We have candidates and assets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It did have a bit of that look to it. :laugh: Then how many games did we win to finish the season? :laugh: Guess Maurice was right all along. Re-sign Thor and Tanev. :laugh:

Actually a lot of that late winning streak was from Hutch. I really have to wonder if he could be that good when the pressure is off. Not that that would do us much good. The pressure is always on contenders.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The season ending success will only confirm in Maurice's mind that he had it right all along. I harken back to his post-season comment on changes to expect. The players will be 5 months older. :help:

I certainly hope he's not that dumb. The Jets during that period where bottom 5 in possession and where largely getting by on talent, luck and better goaltending. Granted they had half an AHL defense for most of it but they didn't play that well.

kirkm

Oct 31, 2013
Where does it look like Dano will be playing this year? (team/line/role)

Where do Jets fans see him fitting in long term? bottom-6 winger?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

If given the opportunity he could easily still be a top six scorer. Opportunity is the key word. Our coaching staff does not seem to like him too much despite his production in the minutes given.

If your asking from a fantasy standpoint, I don't think I'd use a pick on him but I'd be watching his ice time and would grab him off wavers fa if he gets shuffled up the lineup.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He's actually I believe good at drawing penalties.
He's not flashy but he can be effective beep tests excluding

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Would see a 3rd line role being the best case scenario for Dano.

I've made my thoughts clear on how much I like a Perrault-Roslovic/Copp-Dano 3rd line. Perrault and Dano seem to have decent chemistry with solid results. My old eye test.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
If given the opportunity he could easily still be a top six scorer. Opportunity is the key word. Our coaching staff does not seem to like him too much despite his production in the minutes given.

If your asking from a fantasy standpoint, I don't think I'd use a pick on him but I'd be watching his ice time and would grab him off wavers fa if he gets shuffled up the lineup.

Not on our team you couldn't. Who u kicking out of the top 6? Wheeler or Laine? Our coaching staff has nothing to do with him not playing in the top 6 on the Jets.

Now on another team? Sure....maybe. You wanna dispute he doesn't get enough mins in the bottom 6? That i can get on board with.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not on our team you couldn't. Who u kicking out of the top 6? Wheeler or Laine? Our coaching staff has nothing to do with him not playing in the top 6 on the Jets.

Now on another team? Sure....maybe. You wanna dispute he doesn't get enough mins in the bottom 6? That i can get on board with.

I specifically referenced opportunity. Saying he needed it. Not that hed get it.

I also use terms "top six" as a measure of ability/production/impact, not "on this team or that team".

He will not get the opportunity to play top six here unless there's a couple injury. If that were to happen, I would pick him up for my fantasy team in a heartbeat

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Not a chance that he's a top 6 forward on the Jets unless there are a ton of injuries.

Wingers clearly ahead of him...

Wheeler
Laine
Ehlers
Perreault

Wingers likely ahead...

Armia
Connor

He could perhaps beat out Armia for a top 9 role, but he has some work to do.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Nobody knows for sure. With Thorburn gone now there is light at the end of the tunnel. It probably depends on how well he plays and what kind of shape he shows up to camp

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nobody knows for sure. With Thorburn gone now there is light at the end of the tunnel. It probably depends on how well he plays and what kind of shape he shows up to camp

I think coming to camp in shape will be vital for Dano. That seemed to be a bit of a black mark he couldn't undo last season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think coming to camp in shape will be vital for Dano. That seemed to be a bit of a black mark he couldn't undo last season.

Agree. Maybe take a page out of Lemieux' playbook and come in lighter and quicker.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not a chance that he's a top 6 forward on the Jets unless there are a ton of injuries.

Wingers clearly ahead of him...

Wheeler
Laine
Ehlers
Perreault

Wingers likely ahead...

Armia
Connor

He could perhaps beat out Armia for a top 9 role, but he has some work to do.

Realistically I think he is most likely to play on the 4th line.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
i am excited that jets will have a credible 4th line that will will act more like a third scoring line or can be converted to an energy line. scoring with petan or swap him out for lowry or lemieux.

dano brings the most energy/fun hits of any player. little cannonball out there. lenieux and dano might be a fun duo for the jets. two "little balls of hate" out there hanging off of large centreman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad