Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Jets Sign Marko Dano (1yr 850k AAV)

Was expecting this

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Dano now qualifies as an exposed forward for expansion draft purposes. Gives the team more options.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Finally some action ... I was starting to think Chevy was rebuilding his Deck at the cottage ;)

Good move it seems obvious he was the chosen one.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Most likely, yes.

:(

My initial reaction was that it meant the opposite: we have a deal with Vegas, or an understanding of who they want from us, and it's not Dano. I just kinda figured if they want to take him, why not let them work out the details of his contract and not bother our legal team during their valuable golfing time. But I'd forgotten about that pesky maximum on players not under contract.

If I'm wrong (and I usually am,) I'll be sad to see him go, but glad to see him get a shot on a team with more room for him to excel. I think he could have been a really good complementary piece and lately I've been feeling like Spacek - Roslovic - Dano could be an amazing 3rd line. If you watch Spacek play, he loves setting up guys who play just like Dano does.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
My initial reaction was that it meant the opposite: we have a deal with Vegas, or an understanding of who they want from us, and it's not Dano. I just kinda figured if they want to take him, why not let them work out the details of his contract and not bother our legal team during their valuable golfing time. But I'd forgotten about that pesky maximum on players not under contract.

If I'm wrong (and I usually am,) I'll be sad to see him go, but glad to see him get a shot on a team with more room for him to excel. I think he could have been a really good complementary piece and lately I've been feeling like Spacek - Roslovic - Dano could be an amazing 3rd line. If you watch Spacek play, he loves setting up guys who play just like Dano does.

Before this signing the Jets were required to expose 2 of the following forwards.

Wheeler
Little
Scheifele
Perreault
Lowry
Armia
Matthias

If they were going to go 8-1 there was no reason to sign Dano this early since he would be exposed regardless. Now it makes 7-3-1 more realistic since they can expose Matthias and Dano.

There could also still be more deals coming that change the dynamics

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
yeah I agree its a bummer to lose dano but I hope he find a home soon. Same goes with Petan. Still holding out hope though that maurice's days will be numbered soon.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Chevy better take a breather and pace himself. The summer just started.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Not at all a fan of Dano being exposed. Was really hoping to see Copp (or hell, even Thorburn) as the one being signed to a one year extension for the purpose of exposure.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Not at all a fan of Dano being exposed. Was really hoping to see Copp (or hell, even Thorburn) as the one being signed for the purpose of exposure.

Not Thorburn pleeease. Don't tempt Maurice. They could still sign Copp also.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
There's definitely gotta be some off ice issues with Dano. Players with his potential don't just get shipped around like this so early in their careers ( if he in fact gets taken by Vegas).

Sucks, but I think in a couple years Spacek will fill whatever role Dano would have just as well.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
If they were going to go 8-1 there was no reason to sign Dano this early since he would be exposed regardless. Now it makes 7-3-1 more realistic since they can expose Matthias and Dano.

There could also still be more deals coming that change the dynamics

Kinda makes you think that they asked Enstrom to waive..

Chevy better take a breather and pace himself. The summer just started.

:handclap:

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
There's definitely gotta be some off ice issues with Dano. Players with his potential don't just get shipped around like this so early in their careers ( if he in fact gets taken by Vegas).

Sucks, but I think in a couple years Spacek will fill whatever role Dano would have just as well.

Did you watch that mic'd up practice with Dano? It's basically him running around trying to be funny, yet nobody is interested in interacting with him. Give you the idea that he's not very popular.

When Ehlers and Lowery did their mic'd everyone was skating up to them, joking around, and having fun with it.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I'm a big dano fan. I love how he plays the game. If he gets selected by vegas it will probably be best case for him and for the jets too. He could get a top 6 role and put up points and the jets dont lose any D and have the F depth to replace him.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Here's a food for though question. What's in it for Dano?

His agent must know the expansion math and the chances he is selected by Vegas. Why sign a contract early and help out the Jets. Why not see if you could extract more from Vegas? Why rush to sign for a deal for only $850k?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here's a food for though question. What's in it for Dano?

His agent must know the expansion math and the chances he is selected by Vegas. Why sign a contract early and help out the Jets. Why not see if you could extract more from Vegas? Why rush to sign for a deal for only $850k?

Possibly because if he doesn't sign then Jets have to go 4-4-1 and Vegas takes someone higher than him in the pecking order. That means he's still on the Jets in Maurice' s dog house. He may feel that signing the one year deal makes him a near sure bet to be acquired by a team that won't have nearly the competition on forward that the Jets do and will allow him to take on a large role and earn a big pay day a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->