Player Discussion: Marko Dano

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'm pretty much neutral on Dano. If he gets taken, the only thing I'll think about is how the Ladd trade ended up.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Possibly because if he doesn't sign then Jets have to go 4-4-1 and Vegas takes someone higher than him in the pecking order. That means he's still on the Jets in Maurice' s dog house. He may feel that signing the one year deal makes him a near sure bet to be acquired by a team that won't have nearly the competition on forward that the Jets do and will allow him to take on a large role and earn a big pay day a year.

And a 1 yr deal is because they hope he has better statistics going into arbitration. I guess Vegas would be trying to get a 2 yr bridge.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Here's a food for though question. What's in it for Dano?

His agent must know the expansion math and the chances he is selected by Vegas. Why sign a contract early and help out the Jets. Why not see if you could extract more from Vegas? Why rush to sign for a deal for only $850k?

Maybe if he doesn't sign, the jets don't go 7-3-1 then Vegas takes Lowry/Armia/Copp over him. Dano is stuck with the jets, who don't seem to be a big fan of his (although it seems like it's not just the jets at this point), and continues to pull 4th line minutes or watch games from the press box.

If he signs, he's boosted his chances of getting picked significantly, especially if they know the jets will now be going 7-3-1. His "competition" will be either an injury prone defenceman or an aging one seemingly on his decline, and matthias. Much better chance to get picked and go to a team where he's certain to get more playing time and having a bigger role

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Did you watch that mic'd up practice with Dano? It's basically him running around trying to be funny, yet nobody is interested in interacting with him. Give you the idea that he's not very popular.

When Ehlers and Lowery did their mic'd everyone was skating up to them, joking around, and having fun with it.

:facepalm:

You don't seriously believe a two minute, heavily edited mic'd up clip is reflective of how popular a player is in the room, do you?

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
Im confused, why do so many people think this bring 7-3-1 into play? Thought we had to protect 4 D unless we got Enstrom to waive. I thought he was the only player that would effect the 7-3-1 option. Can any of you thinking that way explain to me how Dano signing changes our D situation?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
7-3-1 is on the table now. good job chevy.

I think this is the significance of the signing. Otherwise it would simply have been left to a convenient time in July/Aug when all the more pressing items had been taken care of.

I think it would be premature to think that this means we are going 7+3+1. It simply means that we are in position to do so.

I also don't think this makes it any more or any less likely that Dano goes to LV.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Maybe if he doesn't sign, the jets don't go 7-3-1 then Vegas takes Lowry/Armia/Copp over him. Dano is stuck with the jets, who don't seem to be a big fan of his (although it seems like it's not just the jets at this point), and continues to pull 4th line minutes or watch games from the press box.

If he signs, he's boosted his chances of getting picked significantly, especially if they know the jets will now be going 7-3-1. His "competition" will be either an injury prone defenceman or an aging one seemingly on his decline, and matthias. Much better chance to get picked and go to a team where he's certain to get more playing time and having a bigger role

I will go out on a limb and make a bold prediction that if Dano ends up getting picked by Vegas, he's one of the players that ends up getting shuffled off (not necessarily to Buffalo) for a prospect or pick. You heard it here first. :nod:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not at all a fan of Dano being exposed. Was really hoping to see Copp (or hell, even Thorburn) as the one being signed to a one year extension for the purpose of exposure.

Even if Thorbs was re-signed and exposed, Vegas selects Dano/Copp over Thorbs.

I like Dano, but the argument for Dano over Copp diminished substantially in my view over the course of last season. Copp has shown himself to be an effective and versatile player with some unexpected offense. He skates really well. Being a best buddy of Trouba and very popular on the team might also factor in. He's known for having natural leadership capabilities, and that matters to the Jets apparently.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Here's a food for though question. What's in it for Dano?

His agent must know the expansion math and the chances he is selected by Vegas. Why sign a contract early and help out the Jets. Why not see if you could extract more from Vegas? Why rush to sign for a deal for only $850k?

he got a 1 way contract I would say he made out like a bandit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This has me cautiously optimistic. Yes, it does happen once in a while. Even devout pessimists stray from the Path on occasion.

Careful there nobody. You are in danger of setting yourself up for disappointment. :laugh:
See ... I know how this pessimism thing works.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think this is the significance of the signing. Otherwise it would simply have been left to a convenient time in July/Aug when all the more pressing items had been taken care of.

I think it would be premature to think that this means we are going 7+3+1. It simply means that we are in position to do so.

I also don't think this makes it any more or any less likely that Dano goes to LV.

I think it makes it significantly more likely that Dano goes to LV, and that the Jets are planning to go 7-3-1. It might not happen that way, but I think it's more likely now.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Even if Thorbs was re-signed and exposed, Vegas selects Dano/Copp over Thorbs.

I like Dano, but the argument for Dano over Copp diminished substantially in my view over the course of last season. Copp has shown himself to be an effective and versatile player with some unexpected offense. He skates really well. Being a best buddy of Trouba and very popular on the team might also factor in. He's known for having natural leadership capabilities, and that matters to the Jets apparently.

not quite. copp would be protected. choice would be dano or mathias

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

Way I see it:

Protected:
Wheeler
Scheifele
Perreault
Little
Lowry
Armia

Decision:
Copp/Dano

Not Protected:
Matthias

Which player from the above list do you have below Matthias in order to see Copp being protected in addition to one of Dano or Matthias?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Im confused, why do so many people think this bring 7-3-1 into play? Thought we had to protect 4 D unless we got Enstrom to waive. I thought he was the only player that would effect the 7-3-1 option. Can any of you thinking that way explain to me how Dano signing changes our D situation?

The Jets needed to make two forwards available who are signed next season. Before Dano's signing, they only had Matthias who fit the criteria. If the Jets go 7-3-1, now they can leave Matthias and Dano exposed to meet the forward requirement, and protect Scheifele, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Lowry, Armia and Copp.

Conversely, if the Jets plan to go 4-4-1, they would have no need to sign Dano since they already have a few other forwards that meet the exposure requirement (Perreault, Lowry, Armia).

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Careful there nobody. You are in danger of setting yourself up for disappointment. :laugh:
See ... I know how this pessimism thing works.

Oh, disappointment isn't really a stop on this train anymore. If Chevy still finds a way to muck this up, I will just head straight for Anger station and rant continuously on how Chevy has to go. ;)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The Jets needed to make two forwards available who are signed next season. Before Dano's signing, they only had Matthias who fit the criteria. If the Jets go 7-3-1, now they can leave Matthias and Dano exposed to meet the forward requirement, and protect Scheifele, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Lowry, Armia and Copp.

Conversely, if the Jets plan to go 4-4-1, they would have no need to sign Dano since they already have a few other forwards that meet the exposure requirement (Perreault, Lowry, Armia).

Before the signing if the Jets could have chosen 7-3-1 they would be protecting both Dano and Copp and exposing one of Armia or Lowry plus Matthias.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Right. My point was that signing Thorbs was no solution if the Jets wanted to protect Copp (or Dano). Signing Dano is a signal that he's the forward that they would like to expose (instead of Copp).

Way I see it:

Protected:
Wheeler
Scheifele
Perreault
Little
Lowry
Armia

Decision:
Copp/Dano

Not Protected:
Matthias

Which player from the above list do you have below Matthias in order to see Copp being protected in addition to one of Dano or Matthias?

Signing Dano is a signal that they are contemplating a 7-3-1 scenario and would expose Dano and Matthias, and protect Copp.

If they are able to do this, I think they will be quite satisfied with the outcome. I'd be fine with that, too.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015

Thanks for that Whileee and it makes sense. but What it doesn't change is the D situation. Does that mean we are exposing Myers also in the 7-3-1 scenario? And are Dano or Matthias likely to get taken if Myers is also available? You are all on this, but i remember everyone thinking before that we were going 4-4-1 for sure and the debate was if we exposed Lowry or Perreault. I'm missing something lol.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Before the signing if the Jets could have chosen 7-3-1 they would be protecting both Dano and Copp and exposing one of Armia or Lowry plus Matthias.

Right. Signing Dano was only necessary if the Jets are contemplating a 7-3-1 scenario and planning to expose Dano (along with Matthias).

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Way I see it:

Protected:
Wheeler
Scheifele
Perreault
Little
Lowry
Armia

Decision:
Copp/Dano

Not Protected:
Matthias

don't think there is any decision at all. copp is more valueable to jets based on his play. he will be protected. signing dano confirms that. so mathias and dano will be exposed. don't see how copp will be a choice for vegas since he should be our 7th player protected.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Thanks for that Whileee and it makes sense. but What it doesn't change is the D situation. Does that mean we are exposing Myers also in the 7-3-1 scenario? And are Dano or Matthias likely to get taken if Myers is also available? You are all on this, but i remember everyone thinking before that we were going 4-4-1 for sure and the debate was if we exposed Lowry or Perreault. I'm missing something lol.

If the Jets go 7-3-1, I am assuming that the Jets have asked Enstrom to waive his NMC and he's agreed, so the Jets will expose Enstrom (and expect him not to be selected). Another possibility is that the Jets are contemplating a trade involving Myers (or perhaps Trouba), with the return being expansion-exempt players.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
If the Jets go 7-3-1, I am assuming that the Jets have asked Enstrom to waive his NMC and he's agreed, so the Jets will expose Enstrom (and expect him not to be selected). Another possibility is that the Jets are contemplating a trade involving Myers (or perhaps Trouba), with the return being expansion-exempt players.

Ok thank you lol, I'm here banging my head trying to figure out how that changed the D situation. But what you say makes a lot of sense, especially now with the Dano signing. Guess we gotta wait till Sunday morning to find out for sure. But at least it makes sense to me now. TYVM :yo:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
... another possibility - Jets trade Dano to a team that needs another expansion eligible forward, then sign Thorbs or another forward to make available for the expansion draft.

Lots of moving parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad