Marc Bergevin Part II: Better Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
McPhee build a FULL roster from SCRATCH... and it took him a SINGLE YEAR to bring his team to the SC finals... ONE YEAR

only idiots would compare Bergevin to last year McPhee.

Ok... So in fact don't have to make deals after September to have a good year. Gotcha.

I like that last veiled insult though. You, in all your wisdom and intelligence, do realize he was brought up not as a comparison, but because he's an excellent example that dispells the idea you have to make in season moves. In fact, he had one of the worst in season moves of any GM. He still killed it that year. Even if his last good move was in June.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ok... So in fact don't have to make deals after September to have a good year. Gotcha.

I like that last veiled insult though.
You, in all your wisdom and intelligence, do realize he was brought up not as a comparison, but because he's an excellent example that dispells the idea you have to make in season moves. In fact, he had one of the worst in season moves of any GM. He still killed it that year. Even if his last good move was in June.
you are comparing Margevin off season moves to a guy who had to build a FULL roster from SCRATCH in a SINGLE year... even went as far as bringins his team to the SC FINALS in their VERY FIRST SEASON

that's the comparison YOU make, Bergevin vs last season McPhee. You even insist and comeback with the comparison

take it any way you want, it is what it is. (wich is -> stupid)

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
you are comparing Margevin off season moves to a guy who had to build a FULL roster from SCRATCH in a SINGLE year... even went as far as bringins his team to the SC FINALS in their VERY FIRST SEASON

that's the comparison YOU make, Bergevin vs last season McPhee. You even insist and comeback with the comparison

take it any way you want, it is what it is. (wich is -> stupid)

giphy.gif

Let me explain it as simply as I can.

It's an example. Not a comparison. I'm not putting both side by side and noting similarities between the quality of both of their seasons.

I'm bringing up an example of a GM who didn't in fact fit in that ridiculous standard you brought up of having to make a good in-season move to have a good (in his case, amazing) year.

I understand if this is too complicated to understand however.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
giphy.gif

Let me explain it as simply as I can.

It's an example. Not a comparison. I'm not putting both side by side and noting similarities between the quality of both of their seasons.

I'm bringing up an example of a GM who didn't in fact fit in that ridiculous standard you brought up of having to make a good in-season move to have a good (in his case, amazing) year.

I understand if this is too complicated to understand however.
of all the GMs to have won the GM of the year thing, lets compare your beloved MB to the one who built a ZFULL team from SCRATCH, in a SINGLE season and brought them to the SC FINALS... I repeat, ALL THIS in a SINGLE SEASON...

you compare this to Bergevin doing a few moves in an off-season
sure... :help: :help: :help:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It really isn't complicated to understand at all. Some people will just refuse to admit they are wrong when they are proven wrong.

Lol.

The denial is strong in that one.

He's basically kept repeating "YOU DONT NEED TO MAKE AN IN-SEASON MOVE TO HAVE A GOOD YEAR" over and over for the last few posts.

It's both comical and sad at the same time.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It really isn't complicated to understand at all. Some people will just refuse to admit they are wrong when they are proven wrong.
So, what you're saying is, McPhee building a FULL roster from SCRATCH and bring his team to the SC FINALS in a SINGLE YEAR

and Bergevin summer are... somewhat the same ? comparable ?

before replying like it's some kind of smart argument, look it up and come back to tell us how many time it happen in history of the league... :help: :help: :help:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So, what you're saying is, McPhee building a FULL roster from SCRATCH and bring his team to the SC FINALS in a SINGLE YEAR

before replying like it's some kind of smart argument, look it up and come back to tell us how many time it happen in history of the league... :help: :help: :help:

Literally nobody is saying this. Now that that's settled, do you need to make an in-season move to have a good year ?

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Literally nobody is saying this. Now that that's settled, do you need to make an in-season move to have a good year ?
You among others did, you even insisted on it... like you could not find another example or something...

but hey! last year McPhee, this year Bergevin... they're the same. :help:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You among others did, you even insisted on it... like you could not find another example or something...

Literally no one is saying this. You'd be taken more seriously if you took the L and carried on. We all know why you keep evading the question though. We're done here.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

You are backtracking like crazy and it's hilarious.
First you say "Bergevin hasn't done anything this season just a bunch of 4th liners. NOTHING NEW".
People reply by questioning how has he not done a good job this season by providing examples like the Pacioretty trade, or the Domi trade...etc

Then you backtrack and say "No no no that was the Summer, that doesn't count"
People reply by saying that no big moves occur before until close to trade deadline time. They also reply by logically explaining how summer moves impact the upcoming season, it's not like there is another schedule in the summer.

Once again you backtrack and then once McPhee is brought up, you use the Emelin trade as an example.
People reply by demonstrating that McPhee hasn't done shit in the season(by your previous standards) and his only big trade in the season was a disaster. His good moves came in the summer and the Emelin trade is not something you should use as an example since its no different than Bergevin picking up a 4th liner.

Now you are talking about McPhees summer moves which is what has made him build a stanley cup finalist in ONE YEAR. Self-contradiction at its finest.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You are backtracking like crazy and it's hilarious.
First you say "Bergevin hasn't done anything this season just a bunch of 4th liners. NOTHING NEW".
People reply by questioning how has he not done a good job this season by providing examples like the Pacioretty trade, or the Domi trade...etc

Then you backtrack and say "No no no that was the Summer, that doesn't count"
People reply by saying that no big moves occur before until close to trade deadline time. They also reply by logically explaining how summer moves impact the upcoming season, it's not like there is another schedule in the summer.

Once again you backtrack and then once McPhee is brought up, you use the Emelin trade as an example.
People reply by demonstrating that McPhee hasn't done **** in the season(by your previous standards) and his only big trade in the season was a disaster. His good moves came in the summer and the Emelin trade is not something you should use as an example since its no different than Bergevin picking up a 4th liner.

Now you are talking about McPhees summer moves which is what has made him build a stanley cup finalist in ONE YEAR. Self-contradiction at its finest.
You really thing McPhee, who built a FULL roster from SCRATCH in a SINGLE YEAR, and brought his team to the SC FINALS in it's very FIRST SEASON...

is similar to Bergevin doing a few off season moves...

no, don't compare to, let's say, Buffalo who did impactful moves in the summer, or Carolina/Calgary summer trades...

no, we'll compare Bergevin moves to last year McPhee... :help: :help: :help:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You really thing McPhee, who built a FULL roster from SCRATCH in a SINGLE YEAR, and brought his team to the SC FINALS in it's very FIRST SEASON...

is similar to Bergevin doing a few off season moves...

no, don't compare to, let's say, Buffalo who did impactful moves in the summer, or Carolina/Calgary summer trades...

no, we'll compare Bergevin moves to last year McPhee... :help: :help: :help:
I can read just fine thanks, you don't have to keep saying SINGLE YEAR or FIRST SEASON like a broken record. Those moves occurred in the SUMMER. THE TIME PERIOD BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED. ITS CALLED THE SUMMER. Nobody is comparing McPhee to Bergevin. People are saying that his success was because of his moves in the SUMMER.

Buffalo? Yeah I think they did a tremendous job gifting St.Louis a #1 center for cap dumps in the SUMMER. Talk about an early Christmas gift.
So which is it, Carolina or Calgary? They made a blockbuster move in the SUMMER and Calgary is the only one benefiting from that trade.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I can read just fine thanks, you don't have to keep saying SINGLE YEAR or FIRST SEASON like a broken record. Those moves occurred in the SUMMER. THE TIME PERIOD BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED. ITS CALLED THE SUMMER. Nobody is comparing McPhee to Bergevin. People are saying that his success was because of his moves in the SUMMER.

Buffalo? Yeah I think they did a tremendous job gifting St.Louis a #1 center for cap dumps in the SUMMER. Talk about an early Christmas gift.
So which is it, Carolina or Calgary? They made a blockbuster move in the SUMMER and Calgary is the only one benefiting from that trade.
his summer moves ? oh you mean building a FULL ROSTER ??

my guess is you don't see the difference between that and making two or three moves..

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
How can Bergy watch the games with that pathetic left D. Bothers me to no end and it’s not even my job on the line.

Without a deadline addition, this team def does not go to the second round. I’m all for the reset, but you don’t have to break the bank to get just someone better than Benn, Reilly and Mete.

Mete has been decent lately but we need someone who can shoot the puck and create rebounds. Shea is the only consistent threat as Petry couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
How can Bergy watch the games with that pathetic left D. Bothers me to no end and it’s not even my job on the line.

Without a deadline addition, this team def does not go to the second round. I’m all for the reset, but you don’t have to break the bank to get just someone better than Benn, Reilly and Mete.

Mete has been decent lately but we need someone who can shoot the puck and create rebounds. Shea is the only consistent threat as Petry couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.
Hopefully, he can make a trade similar to Armia. Don’t want to give up youth but use cap space as a tool to improve the d long term. Also, I’d be ok with a 2nd & 4th (Petry trade) to get a d long term. Time to get creative at deadline this year

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I see Duchene name popping on this board. Bergevin always put so much emphasis on character and attitude, I would be very surprised he would be willing to give the big price for Duchene, even though he once was rumored to MTL, a lot has changed since then in terms of center position, team chemistry, Duchene's contract state and Duchene's locker room reputation.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Bergevin has become a decent transaction guy but he won't choose a side....He keeps trying to rebuild and contend at the same time...

Teams like that usually end up in no mans land....Not good enough to win a cup and not bad enough to get the elite talent to build a powerhouse through the draft..

Been like that his whole tenure with the Habs....Only way the Habs see a cup under him is if Price can get crazy hot in the playoffs combined with some good breaks....Would have to be the perfect storm.......Habs are a decent team but not cup material......I don't like talking down the team but im just being honest....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As much good work as Bergevin has done recently, doing the same unsuccessful thing with the 4th line that he did two years ago, will, I think, make him look rather foolish again.

My biggest concern is that he hasn't learned from his past mistakes and will continue to repeat them.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As much good work as Bergevin has done recently, doing the same unsuccessful thing with the 4th line that he did two years ago, will, I think, make him look rather foolish again.

My biggest concern is that he hasn't learned from his past mistakes and will continue to repeat them.
it's like he doesnt understand that when you acquire top 6 forwards, other forwards drop downa line or two and that's how you end up waiving Chaput and D'agostino anyway, cause guys like Armia or Lehkonen, or Shaw, etc become available for 4th line duties...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Your prediction for the Habs last year and this year... they are the same. One year you are right, one year you are wrong. Deal with it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Tinkering with a 4th line is not something to be worried about. These are depth moves and all GM's do it. Some work out and some don't. It's not costing us our future. The only thing you should be concerned about is another Alzner contract this summer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
it's like he doesnt understand that when you acquire top 6 forwards, other forwards drop downa line or two and that's how you end up waiving Chaput and D'agostino anyway, cause guys like Armia or Lehkonen, or Shaw, etc become available for 4th line duties...

That's exactly the way I would do it.

While guys like Panarin, Stone, and Duchene would cost an arm and a leg, and may not re-sign, there are players like Marcus Johansson, Derrick Brassard, and maybe even Mats Zuccarello who's value may have fallen so low they can be had even without giving up a 2nd round pick. That would give us a really fast and skilled 4th line, and provide depth in case there are injuries to regulars in the top 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad