Marc Bergevin Part II: Better Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
That would still be 2012-2013 but I give credit for the moves this summer and cautiously optimistic of the direction moving forward.

Cautiously optimistic also because i dont trust Bergevin a 100% still yet, but i feel better about today's team/organization then in 2012.

1-The C-line is better/alot better, Kotkaniemi for me is the best habs 18 years old players in a very long time on top of that hes a big center. Domi-Danault are both 23-25 and playing like very good 2Cs.We all know that you dont win without a good/great C-line and that problem seems to FINALLY be resolve.
2-Coaching is alot better then 2012 both in the A and with the big team.
3- Better prospect pool/better drafting. Seems to finally have stop drafting low ceilling player like DLR/McCarron and draft players with talent/skills like Fonstad/Ylonen/Mcshane/Hillis.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
His team has won a grand total of 3 play off round since he took over. Only won ONE round in the last four years.

When you look at the core he walked on board with in the summer of 012......that is complete failure.

Unless you lower the bar. Which he did.

So basically what you are saying is that the team that finished 3rd last before he came on board, bounced from round 1 the year before, and squeaked into the playoffs as an 8th seed the last game of the season 2 years before was ready to win a cup when MB came on board? I mean come on.

People just love PK and Price too much thats the problem. They are blinded by that. They think PK and Price should equal instant cup. PK is on a much much better Nash team and has no cup to his name. He got a SCF but no cup.

If you think a team with DD/Pleks/Eller and Max and AG playoff ghosts as its forward core was poised to beat the Pens/LA/CHI/WASH then I don't know what to say. Getting that team to an ECF and finishing 2nd in the NHL was a lot to squeeze out of it. And as I said those guys peaked in that 3rd year. No one was ever as good since then. Max ain't scoring 39 goals. PK had a great season last year but still doesn't top his Norris and 60+ point season. Pleks fell off a cliff. Markov got old. DD was a 50 point C to a someone who can't even play in the league.

Once that core was done he strated moving out pieces and bringing in others. Now we have a new core and lets see if it can be better in the playoffs.

I just can't wait for the revisionism to pop up talking about how great the team was this year how MB should of known we were cup contenders in the summer, how he should of traded for ROR or blown his 1st and Phoeling for Muzzin and he was a complete failure this year for not winning the cup.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Cautiously optimistic also because i dont trust Bergevin a 100% still yet, but i feel better about today's team/organization then in 2012.

1-The C-line is better/alot better, Kotkaniemi for me is the best habs 18 years old players in a very long time on top of that hes a big center. Domi-Danault are both 23-25 and playing like very good 2Cs.We all know that you dont win without a good/great C-line and that problem seems to FINALLY be resolve.
3- Better prospect pool/better drafting. Seems to finally have stop drafting low ceilling player like DLR/McCarron and draft players with talent/skills like Fonstad/Ylonen/Mcshane/Hillis.

Cautious optimism is a realistic place to be as far as I'm concerned. Which is why I would like to see a second summer's worth of moves, including what the draft fallout will be so that we know for certain that we will have turned a corner.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
We're better now than 2012 because back then we had no option for #1C. Some say Galchenyuk but I was consistently weary on his upside at C so my opinion is that we weren't that well off.

Even if we were, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Danault, Domi is a lot more impressive given the age and mix.

Price and our top D are older but we aren't going into 2019 draft like we did in 2012. In 2012 we had few picks the years prior, now we've had several and continue to have a lot to restock cupboard. Our prospects did well at WJC and we have a lot of them.

I don't think we're out of trouble just yet but I am encouraged by the future but MB will need to sustain his last year with an additional solid one in order to create a great team.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

I didn't include coaching as that didn't seem to be accounted in your analysis but I agree Julien and the revamped NHL/AHL staff makes for a big difference.

Strictly talking team-wise though, alot of it depends how the prospects pan out. It has potential to be better but there's much that's still up in the air. Even if we might finally have that elusive #1C. Otherwise the actual core group back then had the edge;
Franchise PMD, Franchise goalie, 1st line sniper, two rookies making immediate impacts in the top 6 -- most importantly all of them under 25. Plus another #1D in Markov.

Now if we can manage to add one of the big UFAs this summer however, then yes this group would take the cake.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Must of misread it I thought it was about the whole season not the off season.

but either way if he got to the ECF and got Vanek I don't really care to micro analyze what he did in the off season. At the end of the day the team got pretty damn far for a pretty young team. Remember the age of guys like Max/PK/Price/AG/BG back then.

The way I see that season was, it was a terrible offseason, and a great TD that made up for the bad offseason. Sadly he followed it up with another terrible offseason.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The way I see that season was, it was a terrible offseason, and a great TD that made up for the bad offseason. Sadly he followed it up with another terrible offseason.

Its not how you start its how you finish, its not a sprint its a marathon, etc etc....

Ya the summer left a lot to be desired but I enjoyed the ECF run, and then the follwing year enjoyed a 2nd place finish. disappointed we didn't beat TB that year but at least we had 2 rounds of playoffs.

I look at Nash that went to an SCF and was bounced the next year in the 2nd round. I am sure their fans are still happy with that 2 year period.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Its not how you start its how you finish, its not a sprint its a marathon, etc etc....

Ya the summer left a lot to be desired but I enjoyed the ECF run, and then the follwing year enjoyed a 2nd place finish. disappointed we didn't beat TB that year but at least we had 2 rounds of playoffs.

I look at Nash that went to an SCF and was bounced the next year in the 2nd round. I am sure their fans are still happy with that 2 year period.

The thing is all the good he did at the trade deadline when he got Vanek was lost the following offseason. So we got a very enjoyable playoff run but then we were back to being not a contender a couple months later. So if we are using the marathon metaphor, then Vanek is inconsequential since he was there for a few games in the middle of the marathon and was then not replaced.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The thing is all the good he did at the trade deadline when he got Vanek was lost the following offseason. So we got a very enjoyable playoff run but then we were back to being not a contender a couple months later. So if we are using the marathon metaphor, then Vanek is inconsequential since he was there for a few games in the middle of the marathon and was then not replaced.

We did finish 2nd in the NHL the following year and made the 2nd round.

Would you say that Nash weren't a cup contender last year? They made the SCF, were the best team in the league the following year and were bounced from round 2.

If you make the final 8 you did better than 22 other teams that year.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We did finish 2nd in the NHL the following year and made the 2nd round.

Would you say that Nash weren't a cup contender last year? They made the SCF, were the best team in the league the following year and were bounced from round 2.

If you make the final 8 you did better than 22 other teams that year.

The label contender is based upon the expectations of a team. So for example Washington was a SC contender for many years despite being knocked out in the first/second round most of the time. For the same reasons Ottawa wasn't a contender in 2016-2017 despite getting to the ECF.

For us we weren't contenders in 2014-2015 because we couldn't score, we desperately needed a top-6 player to put the puck in the net. Despite finishing 2nd in the league but were 20th in GF, that weakness was why most people wouldn't have considered us contenders and it also highlights how bad that offseason was because we let Vanek go and essentially tried to replace him with PAP.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He only worked as a drill sergeant. What you can get out of that is very limited in scope and time

I'll give him a bit more credit than that. Even Julien respects MT more than you do and you respect Julien right?... if you think it's worse than Scrivens vs Price. ;)

MT had a system and it was defense first. It resulted in very good pre-season records and he got the best from what he had. Julien has a different system and he is also getting the best from what he has this year.

Major difference IMO is Julien is easier to communicate with and respect.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The label contender is based upon the expectations of a team. So for example Washington was a SC contender for many years despite being knocked out in the first/second round most of the time. For the same reasons Ottawa wasn't a contender in 2016-2017 despite getting to the ECF.

For us we weren't contenders in 2014-2015 because we couldn't score, we desperately needed a top-6 player to put the puck in the net. Despite finishing 2nd in the league but were 20th in GF, that weakness was why most people wouldn't have considered us contenders and it also highlights how bad that offseason was because we let Vanek go and essentially tried to replace him with PAP.

I am getting confused, so we were contenders or we werent contenders? I thought that MB was a miserable failure because of how good of a team he inherited that he should of won multiple cups and getting to an ECF was a gigantic failure?

And even if you have some weakness's or holes, I would think a team that finshes 4th and 2nd in the NHL and won its division twice in a 3 year span would be at least somewhat close to "contender". Maybe not the favorites but we gotta be somewhere up there around the top 10 mark?

I don't understand the argument, MB inherited a great team ready to win a cup, but we weren't ever contenders, but the team was amazing and all we needed was a better forward than PAP to get the cup, but it was a miserable failure.

My head is hurting here trying to understand this, its almost as if the contender label is thrown around to suite an argument.

My point is that MB's tenure has not been a miserable failure, doesn't mean everything he did is gold and that he is a hockey god. Yes he could of signed a better UFA, or traded his Mac and Scherback picks. Even if he didn't do all of that he still squeezed some very good years out of this team, and after 3 years it essentially peaked. The team epically collapsed and he started to ship out the pieces and rebuild the team and here we are today with almost a completely different team. Is it better or worse well time will tell.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I am getting confused, so we were contenders or we werent contenders? I thought that MB was a miserable failure because of how good of a team he inherited that he should of won multiple cups and getting to an ECF was a gigantic failure?

You're confused because instead of reading what people say you just imagine what they say and end up thinking they said things like the ECF was a gigantic failure when no one ever said or implied that.

And even if you have some weakness's or holes, I would think a team that finshes 4th and 2nd in the NHL and won its division twice in a 3 year span would be at least somewhat close to "contender". Maybe not the favorites but we gotta be somewhere up there around the top 10 mark?

I don't understand the argument, MB inherited a great team ready to win a cup, but we weren't ever contenders, but the team was amazing and all we needed was a better forward than PAP to get the cup, but it was a miserable failure.

My head is hurting here trying to understand this, its almost as if the contender label is thrown around to suite an argument.

My point is that MB's tenure has not been a miserable failure, doesn't mean everything he did is gold and that he is a hockey god. Yes he could of signed a better UFA, or traded his Mac and Scherback picks. Even if he didn't do all of that he still squeezed some very good years out of this team, and after 3 years it essentially peaked. The team epically collapsed and he started to ship out the pieces and rebuild the team and here we are today with almost a completely different team. Is it better or worse well time will tell.

I considered us a contender heading into both the 2013 and 2014 playoffs.

In 2013 we were a top team without any real weaknesses, we had the scoring (5th in GF) and although our GA wasn't that great (14th) a lot of that had to do with a bad couple weeks where we got blown out multiple times. For most of the year we were a top defensive team.

In 2014 without Vanek we weren't a contender due to our poor offence, with Vanek we were a contender. So yes MB deserves credit for getting us Vanek, although it's mostly a case of him fixing the mistake he made in the offseason when he failed to replace Ryder's production.

MB's first offseason I'd say was average at best, he made a good move signing Prust, he signed Pacioretty to a great deal. But his made moves included hiring Therrien & Lefebvre, and forcing Subban into a bridge deal.

His second offseason he let a top-6 player go (Who produced like a 1st line player for us) and replaced him with a bottom six winger. That and Therrien's incompetence killed our offence and so we were no longer contenders until we acquired Vanek.

His third offseason he again let a top-6 player go (Who again produced like a 1st line player) and again tried to replace him with a bottom six winger. However this time he didn't address our offensive woes at the trade deadline so we weren't contenders heading into the playoffs that year.

His fourth offseason he again failed to address the missing top-6 player that was needed to be a contender.

His fifth offseason he finally found that missing top-6 player in Radulov, but by then it was too late, we were no longer one top-6 player away from being a contender due to Plekanec's decline from top-6 to bottom six player.

His sixth offseason was a massive failure, and his seventh has been a big success.

So his offseasons went: Average, Bad, Bad, Bad, Good, Bad, Good.

Pretty much all MB did was try and fill the holes he created by letting top-6 players go and failing to replace them. That's one reason he was a miserable failure, the other main one was hiring and then sticking with Therrein/Lefebvre.

Reactions: Pickles and BLONG7

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

You have a headache cuz you are arguing with yourself.

much of what you are attributing to the board was never said and you are arguing against it.

Reactions: Pickles and Sorinth

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You're confused because instead of reading what people say you just imagine what they say and end up thinking they said things like the ECF was a gigantic failure when no one ever said or implied that.

I am not imagining anything go back and read the EXACT WORDS MISERABLE FAILURE were written.

My entire point is it wasn't a miserable failure to not win the cup. Thats it.

I considered us a contender heading into both the 2013 and 2014 playoffs.

In 2013 we were a top team without any real weaknesses, we had the scoring (5th in GF) and although our GA wasn't that great (14th) a lot of that had to do with a bad couple weeks where we got blown out multiple times. For most of the year we were a top defensive team.

In 2014 without Vanek we weren't a contender due to our poor offence, with Vanek we were a contender. So yes MB deserves credit for getting us Vanek, although it's mostly a case of him fixing the mistake he made in the offseason when he failed to replace Ryder's production.

MB's first offseason I'd say was average at best, he made a good move signing Prust, he signed Pacioretty to a great deal. But his made moves included hiring Therrien & Lefebvre, and forcing Subban into a bridge deal.

His second offseason he let a top-6 player go (Who produced like a 1st line player for us) and replaced him with a bottom six winger. That and Therrien's incompetence killed our offence and so we were no longer contenders until we acquired Vanek.

His third offseason he again let a top-6 player go (Who again produced like a 1st line player) and again tried to replace him with a bottom six winger. However this time he didn't address our offensive woes at the trade deadline so we weren't contenders heading into the playoffs that year.

His fourth offseason he again failed to address the missing top-6 player that was needed to be a contender.

His fifth offseason he finally found that missing top-6 player in Radulov, but by then it was too late, we were no longer one top-6 player away from being a contender due to Plekanec's decline from top-6 to bottom six player.

His sixth offseason was a massive failure, and his seventh has been a big success.

So his offseasons went: Average, Bad, Bad, Bad, Good, Bad, Good.

Pretty much all MB did was try and fill the holes he created by letting top-6 players go and failing to replace them. That's one reason he was a miserable failure, the other main one was hiring and then sticking with Therrein/Lefebvre.

Seriously, so you say I imagine what people say and then you use the EXACT words I am talking about. I mean come on. You just said so your self you consider him a miserable failure yet you said I imagined those words.

You didn't like his moves, I don't really care if you like or don't like what MB does I care about the results on the ice because thats what matters. And TBH not signing Vanek was for the better seeing how we would of regreted that contract.

Yes it would of been great if he could of signed a better UFA than Briere, then trading for PAP and getting Semin. Its a legitimate knock, but lets remember that Montreal is not always a players first choice and we have to always overpay. But we can knock that weakness. The team still managed to have those 3 good years under him so I cant call it IN YOUR OWN WORDS not mine a MISERABLE FAILURE. Sorry thats reserved for what happened last year when we finished 3rd last, or Goat's last year when we finished 3rd last.

Do you think a different GM would of been able to sign much better UFA's? We probably differ on this here but my stance has been that MTL is not a popular place for UFA's and the top tier ones aren't dieing to come to our city. I will still concede that on the UFA front he could of done better. If this other GM did sign a UFA does that make us better than the Pens/LA/CHI when they were in their primes winning cups? I don't know thats really tough to say. We would of had to get a TOP UFA to combat the likes of Malkin/Crosby/Towes/Kane/Kopitar/Carter/Richards.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You have a headache cuz you are arguing with yourself.

much of what you are attributing to the board was never said and you are arguing against it.

read this thread, read who I originally responded to and tell me I am arguing against myself.

I mean the guy I responded to in his own post used the EXACT WORDS MISERABLE FAILURE, which is the term I am arguing against. But somehow I am making it up? Ok then.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I am not imagining anything go back and read the EXACT WORDS MISERABLE FAILURE were written.

My entire point is it wasn't a miserable failure to not win the cup. Thats it.

Seriously, so you say I imagine what people say and then you use the EXACT words I am talking about. I mean come on. You just said so your self you consider him a miserable failure yet you said I imagined those words.

His tenure has been a miserable failure, that doesn't mean going to the ECF was a failure. You're exact words were
getting to an ECF was a gigantic failure?

So please point out where I or anyone else said that.

You didn't like his moves, I don't really care if you like or don't like what MB does I care about the results on the ice because thats what matters. And TBH not signing Vanek was for the better seeing how we would of regreted that contract.

Yes it would of been great if he could of signed a better UFA than Briere, then trading for PAP and getting Semin. Its a legitimate knock, but lets remember that Montreal is not always a players first choice and we have to always overpay. But we can knock that weakness. The team still managed to have those 3 good years under him so I cant call it IN YOUR OWN WORDS not mine a MISERABLE FAILURE. Sorry thats reserved for what happened last year when we finished 3rd last, or Goat's last year when we finished 3rd last.

Do you think a different GM would of been able to sign much better UFA's? We probably differ on this here but my stance has been that MTL is not a popular place for UFA's and the top tier ones aren't dieing to come to our city. I will still concede that on the UFA front he could of done better. If this other GM did sign a UFA does that make us better than the Pens/LA/CHI when they were in their primes winning cups? I don't know thats really tough to say. We would of had to get a TOP UFA to combat the likes of Malkin/Crosby/Towes/Kane/Kopitar/Carter/Richards.

The results on the ice were due to the moves Gainey and Gauthier made not MB. And if all you care about is results on the ice, then isn't being 21st in the league for points over the past 4 seasons (Including this one) a failure? Especially since the 4 years prior we were 9th. The 4 years before that we were 16th, the 4 years before that we were 15th, and before that it fricken was Houle as GM.

How is that not being a miserable failure, he took a team that was top-10 and turned it into bottom-10. But hey at least we aren't stuck with Radulov's contract which might turn out bad in another 4-5 years right?

I mean seriously, does it really f***ing matter if you overpay someone if that person helps you contend for the cup? Especially since the end result (Which is all you care about) was us overpaying for useless players like Alzner.

Reactions: Pickles

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So basically what you are saying is that the team that finished 3rd last before he came on board, bounced from round 1 the year before, and squeaked into the playoffs as an 8th seed the last game of the season 2 years before was ready to win a cup when MB came on board? I mean come on.

People just love PK and Price too much thats the problem. They are blinded by that. They think PK and Price should equal instant cup. PK is on a much much better Nash team and has no cup to his name. He got a SCF but no cup.

If you think a team with DD/Pleks/Eller and Max and AG playoff ghosts as its forward core was poised to beat the Pens/LA/CHI/WASH then I don't know what to say. Getting that team to an ECF and finishing 2nd in the NHL was a lot to squeeze out of it. And as I said those guys peaked in that 3rd year. No one was ever as good since then. Max ain't scoring 39 goals. PK had a great season last year but still doesn't top his Norris and 60+ point season. Pleks fell off a cliff. Markov got old. DD was a 50 point C to a someone who can't even play in the league.

Once that core was done he strated moving out pieces and bringing in others. Now we have a new core and lets see if it can be better in the playoffs.

I just can't wait for the revisionism to pop up talking about how great the team was this year how MB should of known we were cup contenders in the summer, how he should of traded for ROR or blown his 1st and Phoeling for Muzzin and he was a complete failure this year for not winning the cup.
011 team was pretty good. lost game 7 overtime to Stanley Cup Champs.

012 Team missed play offs and GM and Coach were fired for it. MB has done the same twice in his tenure. Setting futility records for road losses, as well as getting shut out. Not mention the epic collapse of 016. Every GM in Canadiens history has been fired for less.

"What Im saying" is pretty clear. I think MB has done a horrible job as GM. Obviously you disagree.

No worries. So does Molson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles and BLONG7

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
read this thread, read who I originally responded to and tell me I am arguing against myself.

I mean the guy I responded to in his own post used the EXACT WORDS MISERABLE FAILURE, which is the term I am arguing against. But somehow I am making it up? Ok then.

Yup read your post. I see exactly you making up things that you say people argued about the team back when Bergy took over then make counterargument about. So yes, akin to arguing yourself.

Reactions: Pickles

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
011 team was pretty good. lost game 7 overtime to Stanley Cup Champs.

012 teams missed play offs and GM and Coach were fired for it. MB has done the same twice in his tenure. Setting futility records for road losses, getting shut out. not mention the epic collapse of 016.Every GM in Canadiens history has been fired for less.

"What im saying" is pretty clear. I think MB has done a horrible job as GM. Obviously you disagree.

No worries. So does Molson.

Don't forget; tied the season (club) record for most reg losses

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Right. The Emelin trade definitely furthers your point. Trading a depth defenseman for a 3rd pick in July. That's exactly the kind of thing you've kept referring to.

Think harder. The significant part of player movement happens in the offseason and it just so happened Bergevin added Domi, Armia, Tatar and restocked the prospect pool, which now also includes Kotkaniemi, our 3rd overall pick. The coaching staff was also revamped and we're seeing significant improvements in the system with a number of players achieving career years.

Bringing McPhee up is an excellent way to dispell any notion you're trying to advance in that regard
. What exactly did McPhee do between the start of the season and the TDL ? He traded a first, second and third for Tatar. A brutal trade. In October-November, he was completely mismanaging Shipachyov. I could not even imagine what would have been said about Bergevin if that happened here. His last good move actually dated back to June 2017. I guess he didn't in fact have a good season.
McPhee build a FULL roster from SCRATCH... and it took him a SINGLE YEAR to bring his team to the SC finals... ONE YEAR

only idiots would compare Bergevin to last year McPhee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad