Marc Bergevin Part II: Better Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We'll see what Thompson, Weise, and D-lo can do over the next 10 days before the deadline. But I would have no problem with them being depth/13th,14th, 15th forwards/in Laval. Same with Peca and at this point Hudon.

Show me the line-up after you acquire the players you think helps us? If you plan on playing Johansson and Lindgren on the 4th line... do you think they re-sign? If you play them top 9, we start touching team chemistry.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
oh! you're going from you said to I dont remember if you said... damn! you seemed so sure of yourself already...

that's because you can't read and you need to make stuff up like @ottawa did. Its kind of funny that after YOU're making stuff up again and again, I AM the one who has to clear the air ?

How hard is it to prove your innocence? Why can't you tell us the positive things you gave Bergevin credit for? I'll believe you if you tell me but for some reason you are avoiding it?

This has nothing to do with @ottawa, this is between you and me. Prove to me that I am wrong, I want you too. Tell us where you gave credit to Bergevin for the good moves he has made?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Question for you:

What would you prefer:
1- Keeping and cherishing that 2nd round pick and the 5% chances you get to have an NHLer with it and not make the playoff
2- Trading that 2nd round pick and insuring a PO spot this year?
Is our playoff spot assured with Zuccarello??...or is that an assumption of yours.

Is our goal to win the cup or make the playoffs??

Are we assuring ourselves of at least a SCF with Zuccarello?

If my 2nd is gone, it better not be for a 32 yr old fwd rental

Reactions: Runner77

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The only thing I am criticizing you on is taking the pessimistic approach like 99% of the time. It's not personal, it's what I am seeing. I'm not making it up. Can you tell me what credit you gave Bergevin for? Clear the air if you think I am making stuff up? I've giving you the chance

not really no...

Your prediction for the Habs last year and this year... they are the same. One year you are right, one year you are wrong. Deal with it.
that's what you decided to chime in with...

maybe it's time YOU clear everything up and show those predictions of mine for this season and last... that is unless you made it all up and have no predictions posts of mine to show for those two seasons obviously ??????

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Yeah, the same way they're acknowledging the decent season that the Habs are having. You forget the mods had to post a warning TO HAB fans - not outsiders but HAB fans - to stop with the tanking posts in GDTs. Yeah, I can really see the acknowledgements gushing forth.
Who is talking about tanking now? I think the team has exceeded what the organisation planned for and when that happens you have to recalibrate your targets. I’m a massive Bergevin skeptic and believe that he’s extremely fortunate to still be in a job, but I did say he should become a buyer, especially to find one more top 4 LHD and to fix up the 4th line.

What I don’t want is moves that just make sure that we get into the playoffs; it all has to be done with the ultimate aims of no.25 in mind, and the club is still a long way off that.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Is our playoff spot assured with Zuccarello??...or is that an assumption of yours.

Is our goal to win the cup or make the playoffs??

Are we assuring ourselves of at least a SCF with Zuccarello?

If my 2nd is gone, it better not be for a 32 yr old fwd rental

You are trading 5% chances of getting an NHLer (and most probably not a good one) never forget that...stop pretending that one of your 2nd round pick is gold with a 50% chances of getting a good NHLer.

I would think that right now you have 2 choices....either makes the PO or finishing in the worst possible position.
That's your choices. The ultimate goal is to win the Cup but for now, it's to make the PO.

That 2nd round pick won't help you win a cup and most likely won't even help you win one NHL hockey game and if it does, it will be in 4-5 years when Price/Weber will be at the end of the road.

But i'm not advocating for Zuccarello, there's guys like Nyquist, Hayes, Kreider, Chiasson, Silfverberg, Ferland, Coyle. At the end might not help win one serie but it could be the difference between making the PO and finising 9th in our division.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Curious to what people think is the top 5 worse moves Bergevin has made.

1) Signing Alzner
2) Weber for PK trade
3) Not willing to re-sign Radulov at a higher AAV than what he got with the Stars
4) Offering the 39 year old Markov a base plus performance contract and Markov bolts to the KHL.
5) Trading two 2nd's for Shaw

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

1) Signing Alzner
2) Weber for PK trade
3) Not willing to re-sign Radulov at a higher AAV than what he got with the Stars
4) Offering the 39 year old Markov a base plus performance contract and Markov bolts to the KHL.
-Alzner is by far the worst
-What he gave up....to aquire Shaw cause Shaw alone is good
-Lebfevre at the AHL level
-Keeping Therrien after that debacle of a season
-trades are hard quotes (we know they’re hard, you just don’t say that to your public)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You are trading 5% chances of getting an NHLer (and most probably not a good one) never forget that...stop pretending that one of your 2nd round pick is gold with a 50% chances of getting a good NHLer.

I would think that right now you have 2 choices....either makes the PO or finishing in the worst possible position.
That's your choices. The ultimate goal is to win the Cup but for now, it's to make the PO.

That 2nd round pick won't help you win a cup and most likely won't even help you win one NHL hockey game and if it does, it will be in 4-5 years when Price/Weber will be at the end of the road.

But i'm not advocating for Zuccarello, there's guys like Nyquist, Hayes, Kreider, Chiasson, Silfverberg, Ferland, Coyle. At the end might not help win one serie but it could be the difference between making the PO and finising 9th in our division.
I’m good with trading the 2nd, but not for Zuccarello, that was the debate and the player being discussed.

Kreider I’m in BIG TIME!!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No you put place them in their appropriate slots and move everyone else down.

Easier said than done IMO. We already have 10 top 9 forwards. Where do Johansson and Lindgren fit in their appropriate slots and who is moved down? I think this messes with our chemistry.

Personally, I support Bergevin to stay put and listen to offers that make our team better today and the future. But we all know it's very probable we stay put and don't make any drastic moves. Our team has depth and we are playing well... lets just enjoy it. I don't see a short term fix to turn our team into a top 5 - 10 range contender.

Lets see how this team core finishes the year and then we can address the potential issues in the off season. The team core is young and we need to test them. Let them play, don't move them down the line-up.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Who is talking about tanking now? I think the team has exceeded what the organisation planned for and when that happens you have to recalibrate your targets. I’m a massive Bergevin skeptic and believe that he’s extremely fortunate to still be in a job, but I did say he should become a buyer, especially to find one more top 4 LHD and to fix up the 4th line.

What I don’t want is moves that just make sure that we get into the playoffs; it all has to be done with the ultimate aims of no.25 in mind, and the club is still a long way off that.
Look at the start of the season I thought this team could make the playoffs and i was against trading the Petrys, Tatars, Prices and Webers. The problem with trading at TDL is that everything is overpriced. So if MB doesn't make a move between now and that day I'm fine with it. I would love it if he could get us a sniper and a top line left D but not at any cost. Those moves I want to definitely see in the off season. And when it comes to MB I'm sitting on the fence. Until last June I took to calling him the Idiot but he has been on a streak that has me calling him MB. I want to see what he does with the team between now and September.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Easier said than done IMO. We already have 10 top 9 forwards. Where do Johansson and Lindgren fit in their appropriate slots and who is moved down? I think this messes with our chemistry.

Personally, I support Bergevin to stay put and listen to offers that make our team better today and the future. But we all know it's very probable we stay put and don't make any drastic moves. Our team has depth and we are playing well... lets just enjoy it. I don't see a short term fix to turn our team into a top 5 - 10 range contender.
Anyone of Armia, byron, shaw and Lehkonen can easily be moved to the 4th line. It would be a hell of a 4th line

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anyone of Armia, byron, shaw and Lehkonen can easily be moved to the 4th line. It would be a hell of a 4th line

If we add 2 more top 9 talent, we have to move 3 of those 4 to the 4th line. Does this give us the edge and a possible 1st round playoff win or a deep run? I don't think so. Does Johansson and Lindgren provide better value vs Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, Shaw in our top 9? I'm not so sure.

To be clear... What Lindgren are we talking about?

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We'll see what Thompson, Weise, and D-lo can do over the next 10 days before the deadline. But I would have no problem with them being depth/13th,14th, 15th forwards/in Laval. Same with Peca and at this point Hudon.
I actually mentioned Lindgren, as in Charlie, as a trade chip that could be used to get Johansson...

My lineup (if everyone is healthy, which they likely won't be):

Drouin Danault Gallagher ( I actually think KK and Danault should swap places soon)
Tatar Domi Shaw
Lehkonen KK Armia
Johansson Brassard Byron

Johansson and Brassard can be incorporated into the 2nd wave of the pp.

Also, at the end of the day, the best top 9 players, taking into account chemistry, get into the top 9, IF everyone is healthy.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I actually mentioned Lindgren, as in Charlie, as a trade chip that could be used to get Johansson...

My lineup (if everyone is healthy, which they likely won't be):

Drouin Danault Gallagher ( I actually think KK and Danault should swap places soon)
Tatar Domi Shaw
Lehkonen KK Armia
Johansson Brassard Byron

Johansson and Brassard can be incorporated into the 2nd wave of the pp.

Also, at the end of the day, the best top 9 players, taking into account chemistry, get into the top 9, IF everyone is healthy.

Not a bad idea but depends what the actual price to acquire is. I think it might drop by the deadline but then I also think other GM's have the same plan... to acquire for cheap. I'm not 100% on board of trading Lindgren for a rental though.

As far as Kotkaniemi replacing Danault... I watched last night against the Preds and it was a very tight physical game. Kotkaniemi at the 3rd line center spot is where he should be. Lets not move him up to a bigger role this soon. More patience is required.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
Neither is Armia, Byron nor Lehkonen. But if three of those players are on your 4th line......it's a strong line. You can use your other palm on your face now.

Armia nor Shaw or going on the 4th line. Byron either. Lehkonen maybe when Byron gets back. But there will be other injuries so that is moot

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

1) Signing Alzner
2) Weber for PK trade

Signing a washed-up Briere and then trading him for a washed-up PAP on a longer contract is up there.

Oh, and Douglas Murray. Dude was one of the worst players I've seen where the uniform.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yeah, the same way they're acknowledging the decent season that the Habs are having. You forget the mods had to post a warning TO HAB fans - not outsiders but HAB fans - to stop with the tanking posts in GDTs. Yeah, I can really see the acknowledgements gushing forth.

Yes, a many people wanted to tank. That doesn't mean that Bergevin skeptics will generally fail to acknowledge exceptionally good events.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Signing a washed-up Briere and then trading him for a washed-up PAP on a longer contract is up there.

Oh, and Douglas Murray. Dude was one of the worst players I've seen where the uniform.

Douglas Murray was so much fun to watch though.

BOOM !

BOOM !

BOOM !

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

1) Briere was a 2 year deal. He played one season for us and he was traded for PAP who played for us for one year. Longer contract? NO. I don't consider this terribly bad. It just didn't work out and the term was right. Completely different story with Alzner. He should of been 2 or 3 year term, not 5.

2) Murray was signed for 1 year man. Who cares.

These are not considered top 5 bad moves IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad