LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th, CGY; traded to VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Then junior year is irrelevant.

Guy was drafted in 2011, do we need to wait until 2021 to be sure he's a bust? Lol.

He's 22 years old. You're making it sounds like he's 29 or something.

There's plenty of promising looking players that have played around the same or less NHL games than Bartschi from that draft. Quite a few of them from the 1st round too.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
He's 22 years old. You're making it sounds like he's 29 or something.

There's plenty of promising looking players that have played around the same or less NHL games than Bartschi from that draft. Quite a few of them from the 1st round too.

Yep, lots of guys don't even make the show until they are 23+ and turn into exceptional players. I don't think the book is closed on Baertschi at all yet.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He wasn't going to make our team. He saw the writing on the wall and notified the Flames he wasn't going to sign. We traded him for a pick that helped us get Dougie Hamilton.

We're all ok over here, trust me.

sigh.... whatever you say buddy....

From your fellow buddies, I heard he wasn't a Brian Burke type of player....

We traded him for a pick that helped us get Dougie Hamilton.

meh.... lol... I don't know what else to say anymore. Sven Baertchi is a Canuck player, this thread was originally dead for months as he was still a player in Calgary's system.... the day he is traded, Sven Baertchi has actually generated more interest from Calgary fans then Vancouver fans even to this day. Evidence is right there if you scroll through the last 10 pages. 70% Calgary Flames fans respondents.

What's funny you are telling me, everything is ok, and that you used our pick in a dougie Hamilton trade.

I'm seeing right here, you guys used our pick to Draft Defencemen Rasmuss Anderson.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

link to the round 2 draft order.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=105973

link showing what our pick was going to be in round 2 of the 2015 NHL entry draft.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Watched Sven in person, live, the past 2 years. Watched him loyally and when he was traded to Utica he was only 1h45m down the road. I do not see any impact NHL player in him. Argue what you want, there's not much there

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Watched Sven in person, live, the past 2 years. Watched him loyally and when he was traded to Utica he was only 1h45m down the road. I do not see any impact NHL player in him. Argue what you want, there's not much there

He was the best forward in nearly every game for utica since he was sent down. What exactly did you not see exactly?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Perhaps you need a new pair of glasses?
He drove the offence for Utica on their run to the Calder cup finals.
There are legitimate questions whether he can take the next step but saying that there is not much there is just nonsensical at this point.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
All of Utica's offense ran through Sven....

Not sure what that guy is talking about. The best word to describe his play in my opinion was "dynamic". He can score or set up plays.

I think he totally has a future in the NHL if given a chance to play with top6 players. Also, he needs a bit of a long leash...Not the "one screw up and i'm being sent down" kind of situation

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
1) You didn't use that pick on Hamilton

2) Just take 5 minutes to scan through this thread. You can say all day "we're okay over here" but this thread is probably 60% Flames fans, most of which are denigrating him has a player.

Like the exboyfriend who constantly has to prove he's over her by slagging her off to anyone that will listen. It's very transparent. Dude isn't in your organization anymore, get over it.

edit: I should note this is not all Flames fans, some have been quite supportive of Sven, but they are few and far between and as a result this thread is an absolute cesspool of negativity.

I have been one of the Flames fans who still has an optimistic view of Sven, but that doesn't mean the negative things posted by a lot of other Flames fan are without merit, and I think they are worth discussing.

I agree its unfortunate to dog-pile on a guy, but when you go from 'savior' to 'traded to divisional rival' in the span of just a few years I think its easy to see why a lot of Flames fans soured on him so much. I just think if you look at it from the other perspective you will see that some of the criticism is valid.

Bandwagon In Flames*

Funny how Utica was a top team without Baertschi, but then all of a sudden he joins the team and is the main reason for their success. You have to see the hilarity in this claim.. He sure had a terrible +/- considering the team was a AHL powerhouse and he was producing offense.

Keep on putting all your eggs into the Sven basket though.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Funny how Utica was a top team without Baertschi, but then all of a sudden he joins the team and is the main reason for their success. You have to see the hilarity in this claim.. He sure had a terrible +/- considering the team was a AHL powerhouse and he was producing offense.

Ignoring the fact that +/- is a fairly useless stat, +6 in 15 games is now horrible? The bias is this thread is a bit over the top.

arsmaster*

I'm just as skeptical of Sven as you may be, but your grasp on the Utica Comets is unfounded.

They were a strong team, but they weren't a dynamic offensive team, even with Baertschi's addition.

They were a good team in the way the LA Kings were in years past. Very stingy defense first team.

Utica finished the season in the middle of the pack for goals scored in the league, so I wouldn't ever call them a "powerhouse".

Considering they only scored 5 more goals in the post season than the team they eliminated in the conference finals (in 7 more games played) I think this speaks to how deficient the team was for offense. The team they played in the finals had 15 more goals in 4 more games. That is a powerhouse.

Baertschi was a really important offensive cog for the Comets, whether that translates remains to be seen, but your post reads like butt hurt Flames fan that probably bought his jersey when he was drafted and you're just upset at all the time you invested watching him.

Bandwagon In Flames*

Haha okay fine fine, Sven is the Canucks Saviour and he will make your 6 year rebuild super exciting. He took you guys to the Calder Cup finals. That was all him.

I've not invested much time watching sven because I don't watch the AHL. I've seen enough of his NHL play to be happy with the 2nd rounder we got. I also trust the Flames management because they've been hitting home runs in the trade, signing and drafting departments.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
sigh.... whatever you say buddy....

From your fellow buddies, I heard he wasn't a Brian Burke type of player....

meh.... lol... I don't know what else to say anymore. Sven Baertchi is a Canuck player, this thread was originally dead for months as he was still a player in Calgary's system.... the day he is traded, Sven Baertchi has actually generated more interest from Calgary fans then Vancouver fans even to this day. Evidence is right there if you scroll through the last 10 pages. 70% Calgary Flames fans respondents.

What's funny you are telling me, everything is ok, and that you used our pick in a dougie Hamilton trade.

I'm seeing right here, you guys used our pick to Draft Defencemen Rasmuss Anderson.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

link to the round 2 draft order.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=105973

link showing what our pick was going to be in round 2 of the 2015 NHL entry draft.
And you can't seem to spell his name correctly despite it being right in front of you in the title. It seems you aren't very informed either.

Also to address your earlier post, the only Canucks fan who seems intent on attempting to prevent posters from posting in any thread related to a Canucks prospect is you. I hate to break it to you but this is a message board. People are free post their opinions. Maybe you should follow your own advice and "mind your own business".

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Just jumped into this thread, but I can't believe Andersson dropped to the 2nd round! So many fallers in that draft.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Haha okay fine fine, Sven is the Canucks Saviour and he will make your 6 year rebuild super exciting. He took you guys to the Calder Cup finals. That was all him.

I've not invested much time watching sven because I don't watch the AHL. I've seen enough of his NHL play to be happy with the 2nd rounder we got. I also trust the Flames management because they've been hitting home runs in the trade, signing and drafting departments.

With all due respect, what is the point of posting here if you are going to make baseless and incorrect claims? If it's just to bash ex flames and pump your team, Calgary Puck seems like the better place to do it.

Ticonderoga

For the Watch
Jul 17, 2007
New Westminster
I have never been a big fan of Baertschi, but he does have significant offensive prowess and he has been improving as a player over the past year... which is good for the Canucks faithful. However, I still think he is a glass cannon which is pretty much reflected in his +/-.

I will also say that I think he was mismanaged by the Flames and should have never been that emergency call up several years ago. Hopefully he can bounce back next season and make an NHL career for himself.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

I donno about you, but I can't remember a time where I watched a guy play in the NHL between ages 19-21 and said "yeah, this guys a bust... better give up on him".

Just seems... weird to me?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I have never been a big fan of Baertschi, but he does have significant offensive prowess and he has been improving as a player over the past year... which is good for the Canucks faithful. However, I still think he is a glass cannon which is pretty much reflected in his +/-.

I will also say that I think he was mismanaged by the Flames and should have never been that emergency call up several years ago. Hopefully he can bounce back next season and make an NHL career for himself.

Agreed 100% and this is even something that Feaster has gone on record to say. At the time, Sven was quite literally our only exciting prospect. We had very little else to look forward to, and nothing was even in Sven's stratosphere. Then he came in and fired off 3 goals in 5 games and the hype train went full bananas, not only within the fan base but I guess behind closed doors as well.

I hope Sven goes on to have some semblance of a career. I'm one of the aforementioned idiots who bought his jersey too soon and am now having to deal with it, so it would be nice if he figured it out somehow (even if that ends up being with the Canucks). :laugh:

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Agreed 100% and this is even something that Feaster has gone on record to say. At the time, Sven was quite literally our only exciting prospect. We had very little else to look forward to, and nothing was even in Sven's stratosphere. Then he came in and fired off 3 goals in 5 games and the hype train went full bananas, not only within the fan base but I guess behind closed doors as well.

I hope Sven goes on to have some semblance of a career. I'm one of the aforementioned idiots who bought his jersey too soon and am now having to deal with it, so it would be nice if he figured it out somehow (even if that ends up being with the Canucks). :laugh:

Appreciate the objectivity.

I don't think anyone expects Sven to be a star, but he appears to be tracking well since coming to Vancouver. Nothing but positive endorsements from Utica coaching staff.

Canucks fans are doing basically the same thing with Kassian right now. Most fans hate the trade... but some fans are starting to default to just player bashing to justify the trade. It happens in most fanbases.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
C'mon Sven! Beat your detractors!

I really liked him in Portland.

but I've also been a huge fan of Anderson, I love the pick.

So to me it was a good trade off, both teams got what they needed.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

He was plus 6 for us in 15 games.... And why are we putting all our eggs in his basket? We have plenty of prospect baskets we need to put eggs in.

You seem to lack an understanding of the situation, despite being a good team the comets were basically struggling offensively, they relied heavily on goaltending and defense and they struggled to win 1 goal games. When he joined the team utica fans described him as "the shot in the arm the comets needed." He was frequently making plays almost every shift and setting up scoring chances offensively. Definately the comets best offensive forward. Was unfortunate he was battling through an injury late in the calder finals, I believe he sat out a game (staying healthy is another obstacle he will have to face).

None of this matters though, we have to see what he can do at the nhl level and you dont have to worry until he shows he can be an everyday at the nhl level. However discrediting the best player (along with markstrom) on a calder finalist team for his ahl tenure is not accurate. It should not be debatable, at the ahl level he was great for us. Again wether he translates to the nhl is up for debate and we will find out this year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
And you can't seem to spell his name correctly despite it being right in front of you in the title. It seems you aren't very informed either.

Also to address your earlier post, the only Canucks fan who seems intent on attempting to prevent posters from posting in any thread related to a Canucks prospect is you. I hate to break it to you but this is a message board. People are free post their opinions. Maybe you should follow your own advice and "mind your own business".

so because it's a message board, we can go around, attacking other prospects? read it yourself. you cant honestly call this a healthy discussion, when fans from his former team continuously come in here attacking him, saying he's a career ahler.

But you are correct. This is a message board, they can say whatever they want, I can do the same.

LOL here's another example of a Flames fan running his mouth, lol. We never said he's a savior. NO Canuck fan have said he's a savior. hahah

hfboards.com prospects forum.

3 most talked about prospects

1. Michael Frickin Nylander. (contribution to the huge leafs fans base)
2. Mitchell Marner (contribution to the huge leafs fans base)
3. Sven Baertschi (Contribution from Flames fans)

None of this matters though, we have to see what he can do at the nhl level and you dont have to worry until he shows he can be an everyday at the nhl level. However discrediting the best player (along with markstrom) on a calder finalist team for his ahl tenure is not accurate. It should not be debatable, at the ahl level he was great for us. Again wether he translates to the nhl is up for debate and we will find out this year.

Canucks fans already said this. But Flames fans on the other hand likes to counter attack, but stuffing words in our mouth that we never said. Constantly dropping by this forum, and telling us how great their GM is.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

Yeah that bold statement pretty much says exactly how much you know about what was going on during the Comets playoff run. Why would you even bother mentioning what he did in the AHL since by your own admission you have no clue?

You're arguing with a bunch of posters who do watch the AHL. At least the Comets playoff run anyhow. If you don't believe that check the Utica thread on the Canucks board. Arguing from a position of ignorance is always a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad