LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th, CGY; traded to VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I did not think this trade would wind up being a win for the Flames. That's looking like a real possibility right now.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
While I can't tell you is, whether it's due to mental or physical limitation, I don't think he'll ever be more than a Mason Raymond-ceiling at the NHL level.

Raymond was putting up 25 goals and 53 points when he was 23. Baertschi is on pace for 21 points. I think if you can have Baertschi turn into anywhere close to a Mason Raymond-ceiling player, the Canucks would be thrilled.

Aug 3, 2010
Raymond was putting up 25 goals and 53 points when he was 23. Baertschi is on pace for 21 points. I think if you can have Baertschi turn into anywhere close to a Mason Raymond-ceiling player, the Canucks would be thrilled.

Hence why I said, "I don't think he'll ever be more than", implying that Raymond is his ceiling.

I want to repeat that I was worried that Treliving/Burke had made the wrong move at the time, but I'd also like to point out, upon reflection, that this was a very arrogant move by Benning.
Calgary has had a much-improved draft record the last 3 or 4 seasons alongside their development practices, and the disingenuous manner in which Benning acquired Baertschi (along with other acquired players who could be called non-factors such as Conacher and Vey) reeks of cheekiness, for which his franchise has not been rewarded.
Not all, but the majority of players after a certain point in the NHL development cycle usually stagnate, as in "you get what you see." I begin to wonder if Benning really thought a) he was smarter than other teams who had seen the limitations of the players repeated over and over again and b) that his team/player development system could get the best out of a player where another had failed?
For instance, in the trade for Conacher, a former Calder candidate, Ottawa has had one of the strongest drafting/development personnel teams of the last 3 years. Los Angeles has a very strong development system as well, with names such as Toffoli, Voynov, Clifford, Simmonds, etc all being drafted past the first round and developed into true NHLers.

I wonder what his next "reclamation project" will be for the cost of a pick in the 2nd-4th round range.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
Pointing out when he has a stretch of 4 decent games is just repetitive because we know can achieve that.

If he looks like he gets over the hump with a stretch of say, 15-20 games achieving consistently strong play with effort and effective second-liner production in the 0.5-0.65 PPG range, then it's something to talk about because that's what he could be.

He's not, though. Over and over again, it's "he had a few good games" and then "I just don't see it in him."

The difference-maker in this league is consistency (and a little bit of luck) and with his particular skill-set and natural talent, he is suited for the top-six.

He doesn't play the bottom-six style of hockey as well, but he hasn't produced or play consistently enough in that position, forcing him down the depth chart where he doesn't get the opportunity to play to his strengths.

I don't know how long he has in the NHL… he'll stick awhile in the League being waiver-eligible now and maybe he carves a niche for himself, but I also don't think he's guaranteed to hit the 500 mark. He still has a lot of potential and natural ability goes a long way because it's obvious he isn't just a roleplaying bottom-sixer but his time is running out to realize it.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Baertschi might be one of those guys who just takes a lot longer to physically mature and figure it out....if you want an example on the Canucks you don't have to look too far down the lineup to find Radim Vrbata.....guy bounced around the league....tallied a few goals here and there but never looked like he'd be much more than a third or fourth line guy at best....but in his late 20's in early 30's he morphed into a serious goal-scorer....Canuck fans can only keep their fingers crossed.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Looks like a really maddeningly frustrating player to watch, kid has the skill and puts it together for a game then disappears for the next ten...

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Hes always been inconsistant, if when he is on, he can be effective enough that teams have to watch him when he is off, then he will be useful. I am not optimistic.

I hate when the Canucks trade second rounders, no matter the gm, they get horrid returns. Players that are on the cusp of waiver issues are never worth a second rounder.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I did not think this trade would wind up being a win for the Flames. That's looking like a real possibility right now.

calgary flames win this trade.

whoever they picked up will be an norris winner.

end thread.

lets focus on Sven now, and the way he is playing. wtf cares about Calgary at this point. only the trolls probably in this thread.

I personally don't have much expectations for him. I really don't if he turns out, then great, if not, we lose a 2nd round pick. We're not going to cry over it. We traded a 54th pick for him, we didn't use a 13th pick on him, can we just focus on that player for now? Feel free to slam him, don't bother trying to rub it in, if he fails, none of us really care, again it's a 2nd round pick we used on him.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
calgary flames win this trade.

whoever they picked up will be an norris winner.

end thread.

lets focus on Sven now, and the way he is playing. wtf cares about Calgary at this point. only the trolls probably in this thread.

I personally don't have much expectations for him. I really don't if he turns out, then great, if not, we lose a 2nd round pick. We're not going to cry over it. We traded a 54th pick for him, we didn't use a 13th pick on him, can we just focus on that player for now? Feel free to slam him, don't bother trying to rub it in, if he fails, none of us really care, again it's a 2nd round pick we used on him.

This is a good point actually.....Flames draft Baertschi with the 13th overall pick in 2011 and then effectively exchange him for the 54th pick in the second round of 2105....hard not to conclude that it's a waste of a top-half first rounder.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He needs some attention, 8 points in his last 8 games.

Looks extremely confident with the puck, getting in hard areas of the ice, and is starting create space with the puck on his stick.

Night and day from the start of the season.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yeah hes coming around, looks alot better than the beginning of the year and I know inconsistency has been a theme with him but he just generally looks different in a good way.

Him and Horvat have been on fire lately. They've actually brought us some legitimate secondary scoring finally. They've been a great duo. And what a player Horvat is too.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
He's been really fun to watch for sure. His D has been pretty damn impressive all year and now he's really clicking offensively. His chemistry with Horvat is just so awesome right now.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I have to laugh at certain people claiming this trade is a certified "win" for Calgary.

He was pretty good tonight again.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He needs some attention, 8 points in his last 8 games.

Looks extremely confident with the puck, getting in hard areas of the ice, and is starting create space with the puck on his stick.

Night and day from the start of the season.

8 Games is nowhere near enough of a sampling size.

He's 23yrs old, he needs to prove that for a full season.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

He's been decent-good for atleast 20+ games especially on the defensive side of things. He was just snake-bitten in the beginning offensively along with his linemate.
Now he grew his confidence more, engaging physically as in getting in the tough spots to score,and is starting to finally blossom into a top 6 forward.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I have to laugh at certain people claiming this trade is a certified "win" for Calgary.

He was pretty good tonight again.

Dudes killing our tank, he's breaking out right at the time we don't want anyone to break out , or make strides. Him horvat, and markstrom is killing our tank plans.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

he's rightfully being praised for playing well, i find it hilarious when people respond with **** like this, yeah no **** you'd like him to play consistent for 82 games but he's been very good for a while now, and horvat is playing the best hockey of his career with him. Baertschi has solid analytics, he's been a good possession player in relatively tough minutes. Far from a Jim Benning fan but I really like Baertschi.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
he's rightfully being praised for playing well, i find it hilarious when people respond with **** like this, yeah no **** you'd like him to play consistent for 82 games but he's been very good for a while now, and horvat is playing the best hockey of his career with him. Baertschi has solid analytics, he's been a good possession player in relatively tough minutes. Far from a Jim Benning fan but I really like Baertschi.
He wasn't even that bad at the start. Both he and Horvat made the same plays they're making now but both had trouble putting the puck in (very low PDO for both of them I believe), not to mention Vrbata was horribly snakebitten. Could've easily started the season with 7 goals in 7 games because he was in a prime position to score multiple times in those games.

Baertschi is playing with more confidence now and getting the PP time he should've been getting early on. He's on pace for 35ish points right now but I could see both him and Horvat finishing around 40 points and unfortunately vaulting the Canucks to 9th place in the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad