LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th, CGY; traded to VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Oilers always do well in the preseason, it doesn't mean much. They were 6-0 because management played their starters most of the games. Whereas other teams are letting their B-C Prospects play.

Of course they will fall back down to earth when they are facing their A-team vs other teams A-team.

The Oilers AHL team (+RNH and Eberle) ) beat Calgary's starting roster in the first game of the pre-season...IN Calgary. Every team plays their starters in some of the pre-season games

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm still rooting for Baertschi. Is talent is undeniable, its just that over time you see how rare it is for him to be engaged enough to be effecive with it.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
baertschi was a lot more physical and engaging on the puck last game...I hope he continues to show that effort.

Here's a quote from the province:

“I’m a lot more mature,” Baertschi said.“I look back and I laugh with how I developed as a player. It might have not shown on the ice for a while, but as a person how I developed and how much stronger I got mentally. And now the key for me is to translate that into the game and be a consistent player out there.”

Asked if he was the same guy who Calgary traded six months ago, he said:

"No. That's all I'm going to say."

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
baertschi was a lot more physical and engaging on the puck last game...I hope he continues to show that effort.

“I’m a lot more mature,†Baertschi said.“I look back and I laugh with how I developed as a player. It might have not shown on the ice for a while, but as a person how I developed and how much stronger I got mentally. And now the key for me is to translate that into the game and be a consistent player out there.â€

Time for him to prove that. Hoping he does.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

“I’m a lot more mature,†Baertschi said.“I look back and I laugh with how I developed as a player. It might have not shown on the ice for a while, but as a person how I developed and how much stronger I got mentally. And now the key for me is to translate that into the game and be a consistent player out there.â€

A pretty classy response.
Sounds like he's accepting that part of the blame was on him. I like to see that from a young player.
Time for him to prove it.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

Good to see him admit he screwed up. Hopefully he has a big season.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
A pretty classy response.
Sounds like he's accepting that part of the blame was on him. I like to see that from a young player.
Time for him to prove it.

Sometimes a wakeup call is all that is needed. Don't think anyone can deny his skill.

I'll miss Bart.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
5 points in the last 2 games of the pre-season is a good way to get ready for the start of the season.

I read that he improved his Grind time from something like 53 minutes last season to 39 minutes this season. I presume those test times were at the end of last season, and the of start of training camp this year.

That's great...

But I can't help but wonder, if he's a guy who the Flames were really counting on, and is at a real cross road in his career, that's really poor conditioning for an elite athlete (especially one his size).

So, yes physically he should be in a better position to succeed.
However, I can't help but wonder about his comittment to the game, if (presumably) this time last season, he came to camp far from in peak condition to make it (especially when you consider how important a season it was for him).

The most telling thing for me about Sven isn't that he improved his Grind time by that much; more significantly how in the world would a guy coming to his second camp allow himself to show up anything but in the very best condition.

Am I wrong to think that shows a lack of comittment to the game?
I don't think guys who lack comittment ever really change. What you see (or in this case 'have seen'), is what you get.

I hope I'm wrong.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
He may very well become a legit good top 6 guy in Vancouver, he was just never going to become that in Calgary. The trade may have been needed for him, that reality check.

Even if he becomes good for you guys, I'm happy with the player we got with the pick we aquired. Could end up a win/win

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Really impressed so far with the chemistry he and Horvat have shown together. Sven has high end passing skills and Horvat is a bull who goes to the net. Could end up as a great combo.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Still have a soft spot for Sven. Hopefully he puts it together so I can still wear his jersey, just for the "told you so's" :laugh:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He may very well become a legit good top 6 guy in Vancouver, he was just never going to become that in Calgary. The trade may have been needed for him, that reality check.

Even if he becomes good for you guys, I'm happy with the player we got with the pick we aquired. Could end up a win/win

This is spot on. Some times players just reach a dead end on certain teams. Whether it is their relationship with the coach, or the reputation they have created for themselves with management, or the quality and/or type of players they have to compete with for a roster spot, they simply can't rise higher in an orgization.

Vancouver had a need for a player like Baertschi and an AHL coach (Green) who was very supportive of this player when he coached him in Portland. Definitely a case of a trade helping out both teams as well as the player.

Bandwagon In Flames*

Funny how this thread died after Baertschi's preseason performance. Lot's of hilarious posts to look back on.

Does anyone really think Calgary would trade a promising prospect to a rival team? I think management deserves a little more credit than that. Proof is in the pudding.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
Funny how this thread died after Baertschi's preseason performance. Lot's of hilarious posts to look back on.

Does anyone really think Calgary would trade a promising prospect to a rival team? I think management deserves a little more credit than that. Proof is in the pudding.

I will concede I much rather have Andersson right now, especially given the Canucks prospect situation on D, but Sven shows glimpses here and there and I'm not willing to write him off quite yet. Our entire team is a tirefire right now and it's hardly a good situation for him to thrive in.

I also feel that his strength and conditioning were really lacking last year and he took a good step to correct that in the summer, but it's still not where it needs to be, especially his strength. He'll always be soft, but I still think after gaining a bit more strength he'll be a decent contributor , maybe 20G, 20/30A type player.

If there's any positive to take away from his play, it's definitely that he's a lot better in his own end than I would have thought.

Bandwagon In Flames*

I will concede I much rather have Andersson right now, especially given the Canucks prospect situation on D, but Sven shows glimpses here and there and I'm not willing to write him off quite yet. Our entire team is a tirefire right now and it's hardly a good situation for him to thrive in.

I also feel that his strength and conditioning were really lacking last year and he took a good step to correct that in the summer, but it's still not where it needs to be, especially his strength. He'll always be soft, but I still think after gaining a bit more strength he'll be a decent contributor , maybe 20G, 20/30A type player.

If there's any positive to take away from his play, it's definitely that he's a lot better in his own end than I would have thought.

Flames fans were saying this for 2 years leading up to the trade. He will have several garbage games and then make a pass that completely blows your mind and gives you hope. Then goes back to being a non-factor for 5-10 games. Baertschi doesn't have the compete to thrive in the NHL. That's something that can't be taught. He's built for the Swiss league.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Flames fans were saying this for 2 years leading up to the trade. He will have several garbage games and then make a pass that completely blows your mind and gives you hope. Then goes back to being a non-factor for 5-10 games. Baertschi doesn't have the compete to thrive in the NHL. That's something that can't be taught. He's built for the Swiss league.
You're right.
He's an all too common junior hockey success who doesn't have a game that transitions to the NHL level.

There will be some people who point to mismanagement, lack of opportunity, poor coaching etc...

In the end, he's just not skilled enough to play a pure skill type of game.

Maybe he sticks around for another opportunity with another desperate NHL team for a short stint...but he's likely headed back to Europe in short order.

I was a fan of the acquisition.
I'm admitting I was wrong.

Aug 3, 2010
Speaking truthfully (Flames fan), I think everyone can see the potential that Calgary traded away. I was definitely intrigued during that initial draft announcement. And trading with Vancouver, no matter the story behind the scenes, was both confusing and worrisome.

While I can't tell you is, whether it's due to mental or physical limitation, I don't think he'll ever be more than a Mason Raymond-ceiling at the NHL level.

That's not doubting his ability. If this was the KHL or SEL or any other league, he might be a perennial MVP contender. But in the NHL it pushes beyond his limits, it asks for a commitment or an ability I just don't think he has in him to become a star even though he flashes that ability once in a while. Perhaps with perfect linemates, but things are never so easy.

Still, if he does become Raymond 2.0, not a bad trade in his prime, flas a mid-first round pick. Unfortunately, there are just more "could've beens" than what he "is" at this level, at this point in time.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Speaking truthfully (Flames fan), I think everyone can see the potential that Calgary traded away. I was definitely intrigued during that initial draft announcement. And trading with Vancouver, no matter the story behind the scenes, was both confusing and worrisome.

While I can't tell you is, whether it's due to mental or physical limitation, I don't think he'll ever be more than a Mason Raymond-ceiling at the NHL level.

That's not doubting his ability. If this was the KHL or SEL or any other league, he might be a perennial MVP contender. But in the NHL it pushes beyond his limits, it asks for a commitment or an ability I just don't think he has in him to become a star even though he flashes that ability once in a while. Perhaps with perfect linemates, but things are never so easy.

Still, if he does become Raymond 2.0, not a bad trade in his prime, flas a mid-first round pick. Unfortunately, there are just more "could've beens" than what he "is" at this level, at this point in time.

To be honest I don't have much expectations for him anymore. If he pans out great , if not oh well. It was worth a try. He did loom pretty good against the Flyers but meh. We are focusing on the top 5 in the 2016 next year.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
You're right.
He's an all too common junior hockey success who doesn't have a game that transitions to the NHL level.

There will be some people who point to mismanagement, lack of opportunity, poor coaching etc...

In the end, he's just not skilled enough to play a pure skill type of game.

Maybe he sticks around for another opportunity with another desperate NHL team for a short stint...but he's likely headed back to Europe in short order.

I was a fan of the acquisition.
I'm admitting I was wrong.

In Baertschi's defence, he did suffer at least one concussion and didn't really seem to be the same player after that. I'm sure there are other factors as well, but he now absolutely avoids physical contact, which makes it hard to be effective.

It's too bad because the guy does have skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad