LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th, CGY; traded to VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Well it's not humanly possible to be worse than Higgins-Bonino-Burrows.

Look up their stats it's honestly mind boggling. It's as if they were trying to not score if you look at the stats alone.

Exactly.

Our 2nd unit was a joke. Anything is better than watching those guys lose the face off then waste a full half minute till the Sedins are rested and ready to go.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well it's not humanly possible to be worse than Higgins-Bonino-Burrows.

Look up their stats it's honestly mind boggling. It's as if they were trying to not score if you look at the stats alone.

2 grinders and a soft slow sniper. 0 play makers/passers. Hard to put together a more disjointed PP unit, you would think it was put out there to kill time and not give SH goals. They sat Kassian, a guy who could make a play for this bunch.

If Baertschi, a soft playmakings winger can't make that 2nd PP unit better he won't make it as an NHLer since this is supposed to be his forte.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Sven is such a polarizing guy. When he got drafted I thought he would be the Flames future top line, PPG guy. The new face of their franchise after Jerome left. Now I just see him as a guy who's lucky to make it to a 2nd line ceiling. Maybe 60 pts in his very best season. He's just so underwhelming. Has all the tools, but clearly has some kind of mental block that is holding him back. But he'll get his chance in Van. He'll be gifted top 6 minutes and if he can't make it work out, then I think he'll head back to europe, like he threatened to do to calgary if they didn't trade him.

Then again l could spin it around and say he's already trending upwards, as he is the 8th highest scoring Swiss player in NHL history.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Sven is such a polarizing guy. When he got drafted I thought he would be the Flames future top line, PPG guy. The new face of their franchise after Jerome left. Now I just see him as a guy who's lucky to make it to a 2nd line ceiling. Maybe 60 pts in his very best season. He's just so underwhelming. Has all the tools, but clearly has some kind of mental block that is holding him back. But he'll get his chance in Van. He'll be gifted top 6 minutes and if he can't make it work out, then I think he'll head back to europe, like he threatened to do to calgary if they didn't trade him.

Then again l could spin it around and say he's already trending upwards, as he is the 8th highest scoring Swiss player in NHL history.

Being gifted top 6 minutes was what started this whole ordeal in the first place, honestly. It sort of created this entitlement issue with Sven.

I don't recall hearing about him threatening to go to Europe when he was with the Flames. I thought he just said he wouldn't re-sign.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

There's a reason he went 13th overall and not top 3. He was never seen as a guaranteed top line player. It was his 2011-12 WHL season and the breif call up where he had 3 goals in 5 NHL games, which really cemented his status as a top prospect.

The major issue with Sven was his game just didn't translate that well to a men's league and he initially refused to play a two way game. Based on how he played in Utica to finish the season, he may have turned a corner.

As a Flames fan, I was a little upset to see Sven go. He could still develop into a Kristian Huselius type. I wouldn't, however, want to anchor my first line around Sven. With the right linemates he could still become a solid secondary scoring threat.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Being gifted top 6 minutes was what started this whole ordeal in the first place, honestly. It sort of created this entitlement issue with Sven.

I don't recall hearing about him threatening to go to Europe when he was with the Flames. I thought he just said he wouldn't re-sign.

That is what he said, but the implication was that he wouldn't re-sign because he could just go off the Europe, wait out his NHL UFA status and continue to develop his game.

The Flames would have still held his NHL rights because he wasn't a UFA and if they had wanted to they could have just let him hang in the wind for a few years. Instead they took what they could get.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

He wasn't gifted anything. He was played in the Flames' bottom 6 (with very little PP time) almost exclusively; the only time his ice time consistently went above 15 min/game was in 2013 after the trade deadline, when the Flames had a ton of open roster space. He was also frequently scratched and shipped back-and-forth between the AHL and NHL like half a dozen times.

Baertschi was/is an imperfect young player, but he still got a bit of a bum deal with the Flames. Every organization has its golden boys and its black sheep, and Baertschi appeared to be a black sheep when it came to Hartley.

Last edited:

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
Sven does not play a good 2-way game, and his offensive skills currently dont makeup for his flaws and likely never will.

Im so glad the Flames moved him before his value tumbled even further, Vancouver could have an NHLer on there hands and get some value out of him but I think its just as likely that he will be a Tweener, failing to reach the potential you see in him.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Their are 2 players that powered the Utica Comets to the AHL finals.

1. Jakob Markstrom
2. Sven Baretchi. If anything, that trade almost won the Utica comets a championship. However, a prospect has not achieved anything unless they are in the NHL.

So the people are having a good time slamming him, you guys need to know, Baretchi was their best player, the most dangerous player and the most focused on player for Utica Comets.

so I do agree and disagree with some of the most recent comments. from probably Canuck haters anyways who know little of him. He's overall not a tough player or physical player. Was he bad defensively? no he was not, was he a liablity? for the Canucks or Comets? neither. he was the Comets most dangerous player, without him don't even count them into the finals probably. does it mean he will be a future top 6 player? not a chance, but he's trending on the right track.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Their are 2 players that powered the Utica Comets to the AHL finals.

1. Jakob Markstrom
2. Sven Baretchi. If anything, that trade almost won the Utica comets a championship. However, a prospect has not achieved anything unless they are in the NHL.

So the people are having a good time slamming him, you guys need to know, Baretchi was their best player, the most dangerous player and the most focused on player for Utica Comets.

so I do agree and disagree with some of the most recent comments. from probably Canuck haters anyways who know little of him. He's overall not a tough player or physical player. Was he bad defensively? no he was not, was he a liablity? for the Canucks or Comets? neither. he was the Comets most dangerous player, without him don't even count them into the finals probably. does it mean he will be a future top 6 player? not a chance, but he's trending on the right track.

Sounds like he has a bright future in the ahl.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ive never seen so much commotion over such an average prospect :laugh:

If he was drafted by say the Panthers, this would still be on page 3 (of part 1).

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC

If he was drafted by say the Panthers, this would still be on page 3 (of part 1).

The result of a 50/50 project getting traded between Canadian divisional rivals. Both of which have an abundance of deluded homers on this board.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Just like Connor Brown and William Nylander.

Double standard.

??? Double standard, what does either player have to do with the topic.

If you must know, I'm not high on Connor brown at all. As for nylander, he was drafted in 14, no 11, and was playing in the ahl at 19. Seems different eh?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
??? Double standard, what does either player have to do with the topic.

If you must know, I'm not high on Connor brown at all. As for nylander, he was drafted in 14, no 11, and was playing in the ahl at 19. Seems different eh?

Not really?

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
You can't go around saying that scoring in the AHL means nothing, if the reason Nylander is gonna be a star is because his scoring in the AHL.

Only to people that can't understand the nuance.

Sven Bustchi, ahl superstar.

Also, I never said ahl scoring means nothing, so I didn't and I don't.

Virtanens Abust

Jun 2, 2015
Sven does not play a good 2-way game, and his offensive skills currently dont makeup for his flaws and likely never will.

Im so glad the Flames moved him before his value tumbled even further, Vancouver could have an NHLer on there hands and get some value out of him but I think its just as likely that he will be a Tweener, failing to reach the potential you see in him.

I'm pretty sure he is just a piece to have play some shinny while the team rebuilds, ala Clendenning.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

I think Flames fans are still pissed, that he was traded for absolutley nothing, so they are trying to shadow their frustrations, by bringing up his negatives over positives. Prior to my comment, it's just 7 straight posts of him being slammed by Flames fans/ Canucks haters, follow by like one or 2 Canuck fans, trying to shut them up,

repeat.
6 responses by Flames fans
1 response by Canucks fans kindly asking them to mind their own business and their own prospects
7 more responses by Random people saying they don't like his upside.
1 response by Canucks fans asking them to go mind their own business and their own prospects.
8 more responses by Flames fans how bad he is as a prospect.
1 response or 2 by Canucks fans getting annoyed kindly asking everyone else to mind their own business.

and it never stops, lol haha.

Sven Bustchi, ahl superstar.

if he doesn't make the NHL, Canucks fans are not going to lose sleep over this right? We didn't use a 13th pick on this guy.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004
I think Flames fans are still pissed, that he was traded for absolutley nothing, so they are trying to shadow their frustrations, by bringing up his negatives over positives.

He wasn't going to make our team. He saw the writing on the wall and notified the Flames he wasn't going to sign. We traded him for a pick that helped us get Dougie Hamilton.

We're all ok over here, trust me.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
He wasn't going to make our team. He saw the writing on the wall and notified the Flames he wasn't going to sign. We traded him for a pick that helped us get Dougie Hamilton.

We're all ok over here, trust me.

The Flames actually used the Canucks 2nd rounder to draft Andersson.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
He wasn't gifted anything. He was played in the Flames' bottom 6 (with very little PP time) almost exclusively; the only time his ice time consistently went above 15 min/game was in 2013 after the trade deadline, when the Flames had a ton of open roster space. He was also frequently scratched and shipped back-and-forth between the AHL and NHL like half a dozen times.

Baertschi was/is an imperfect young player, but he still got a bit of a bum deal with the Flames. Every organization has its golden boys and its black sheep, and Baertschi appeared to be a black sheep when it came to Hartley.

He was gifted his time up during Feaster's tenure. What happened when Feaster got axed? Hartley sent Sven down to the AHL. There was widespread speculation that Feaster was forcing Hartley to play him, and it was indirectly confirmed by Hartley booting him back to the AHL almost immediately.

Since then, he wasn't gifted much. There was a couple of call-ups where (I thought) he didn't deserve to be called up to the NHL ahead of some other prospects that were actually doing better than him in the AHL, but I am sure the Flames were wanting to see how Sven did in the NHL and plan accordingly (especially last season, seeing as it was his last waiver-eligible season).

I completely disagree he got a 'bum deal' with the Flames. Why? Why would Hartley or the Flames' organization want to give this prospect a 'bum deal'? Why promote guys like Jooris, and continually call-up other prospects like Granlund ahead of him? Seems to me that they were simply better players in the AHL and were more deserving of the call-ups, and they also performed better in the NHL as well.

I think Sven is a longer-term project with great upside still, but I just can't fathom how people are still writing some sort of narrative that he got a 'bum deal', as if the Flames mistreated him. If anything, I think the Flames unfairly placed him ahead at times (especially during Feaster's tenure) of other prospects on the call-up list.

I think some fans see the super slick plays he makes now and then (actually, quite highly skilled plays, like his behind the blue-line pass through the neutral zone perfectly flat and on Byron's (or Jooris') stick in full stride - thing of beauty for sure) and think he has an NHL game. Loads of prospects with even more skill have bombed in the NHL. He hasn't busted yet, but right now there are more questions than ever regarding if he can translate to the NHL or not. He is a very good talent, so it will be interesting to see if he gets it together or not, but there are some big question marks at this point in time. It had nothing to do with the Flames giving him a 'bum deal' - not when you see other small(er) and skilled prospects playing 200ft games and buying into the system completely. What is the narrative around that? Simply that Baertschi ran over Hartley's dog or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad