Pre-Game Talk: Decisions Decisions Decisions v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I keep defending Mcleod because people jsut aren't spotting the contributions he;s making, even in this series. he now has 4 passes to slot including last night that nobody has cashed on in this series. he uses his pace to such effect to get pucks out. Several times in series he's been the one to skate it out or seperate and get space to advance puck out or get it up ice. he's first to forecheck, he's tirless, he's our best pk forward along with Nuge.

There would be no reason to sit McLeod and no coach should. If KK ends up doing it he's lost the plot. You need all kinds of contributions. Mcleod is making his.

Foegele kind of woke up yesterday in game 5 but I've entirely lost patience for a guy that chronically sleep walsk through playoffs. Unlike McLeod Foegele is not making great contribution defensively and is responsible for a couple GA including a brutal giveaway that should staple a nothing player to the bench.

The pace of Holloway and McLeod is absolutely required on this team. Pts notwithstanding these guys are playing well and pressuring well.

How about playing a player that would be the most creative player in our bottomsix and was almost every time we played him. Playing Sam Gagner wouldn't be a sympathy play. he ought to be subbing in once in awhile. Gagner at age will give you 5 solid games in a row and can play anywhere. His pts/60mins and skill is still evident any time he plays.
I’m not sure how much Gagner has left. Maybe you could get 1 good game out of him, maybe you can’t. When he was up here during the regular season he was getting pasted at least once in every game he played. Those were meaningless regular season games. These games are hyped up physically. He might not survive one. I’m all for making changes but I don’t see Gagner being a positive game changer at this point.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm on a freaking island of one here son. Be a pal and throw me out a line! heh

Not prepared to cut bait and give up on the player just yet. and like I said he isn't costing the team anything EV, was +10 just this season, and put up 30pts while being mostly bottomsix. Yams peak year here for instance, glued to Drai most of the season was 40pts. his average was something like 20. Without the speed, without the premium pk (Yams was on it but not good)

Next, this McLeod never hits anythign, shies away from everything is a view on the player. Its not exactly accurate. Ryan Mcleod both playoffs and regular season is middle of the road when it comes to hits. 65 in regular season which is twice as many as Connor Brown who does absolutely nothing. 10 in playoffs Connor Brown last on team with 2 hits.

last two postseasons combined? McLeod 36 official hits. Again middle of team stuff. Cody Ceci, last 2 postseasons, a D that should be hitting has only 4 more hits.

This was one of our top bottomsix producers this season. Because he hasn't had pts in playoffs people talk as if no production has ever occurred.
I’ll stand on that island with you. I like
Mcleod’s game. We could do a lot worse for 3C or even 4C if he trends that way. He’s responsible defensively, skates like the wind, and I think there’s untapped offensive potential there. Still a young player that’s already figured out how to play in any NHL system. I could see him having a Cogliano type career, hopefully the Oilers reap the benefits of that career and not some other team.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
So Pickarsld comes in plays well has much better numbers than Skinner and they're actually considering starting Skinner? If this happens I guess Knob is same old same old
Friedman is just a troll.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
So Pickarsld comes in plays well has much better numbers than Skinner and they're actually considering starting Skinner? If this happens I guess Knob is same old same old

Of course he isn't going to say anything, lol. Just like if a player is hurting, it's not like he is going to come out and say "Yeah, McDavid is playing with a sore shoulder".

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Heard Knob try and justify reason why pickard may not be a good start "he started back to back games for the first time in years".

"well have to discuss as a coaching group tomorrow"

WTF - guy was lights out and anything you're now trying to look for "excuses" to justify sitting him.

I suspect a skinner start as well and I absolutely don't want it.
Same reason as last year. Skinner is their goalie of the future and taking his job away from him now will mess with his confidence later. Pulling him after the second period with the game out of reach is fine, I guess.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m in with that trade. If he starts tomorrow I will understand the organizational decision but will be mad at a coach for accepting that.
Its a weird situation. Pickard plays the best game of the playoffs the team has seen and they play their worst game in front of him. Its just odd.

Pickard should start but I don't believe he will. That was my stated fear before game 5 that Pickard would play well, and that if the Oilers somehow lost Skinner would be back game 6. its like a double whammy of lose lose.

I'm not saying that flippantly. I think the team really needs to move on from Skinner, and playing him again will just entice the team to keep him on. He should be a back up but I suspect as long as he's here it will be as starter whether it should be or not. In playoffs, clearly should not.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Same reason as last year. Skinner is their goalie of the future and taking his job away from him now will mess with his confidence later. Pulling him after the second period with the game out of reach is fine, I guess.
Skinners problem is excessive misguided confidence. He thinks he can improve by sucking and then thinking positively about it, not by actually putting in the work. How can one fix a weakness if they refuse to acknowledge the weakness exists.

He's not our future goalie.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Its a weird situation. Pickard plays the best game of the playoffs the team has seen and they play their worst game in front of him. Its just odd.

Pickard should start but I don't believe he will. That was my stated fear before game 5 that Pickard would play well, and that if the Oilers somehow lost Skinner would be back game 6. its like a double whammy of lose lose.

I'm not saying that flippantly. I think the team really needs to move on from Skinner, and playing him again will just entice the team to keep him on. He should be a back up but I suspect as long as he's here it will be as starter whether it should be or not. In playoffs, clearly should not.
Campbell.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Skinners problem is excessive misguided confidence. He thinks he can improve by sucking and then thinking positively about it, not by actually putting in the work. How can one fix a weakness if they refuse to acknowledge the weakness exists.

Yeah I work in a job with a high failure rate 90% quit. It's always the types that want to take their ice baths say affirmations that completely fail and end up quitting.

The people that succeed are the ones that realize they need to actually practice to improve.

Instead of the tony Robbins cosplay after he has an awful game he should realize "🤔 maybe I should stop going down" "maybe I should stop being so deep in my net" "I'm actually going to work at these things and stop them next practice".

But he doesn't do that its "I feel so lucky to have learned about coming back stronger" whatever that means.

Stu in for game 6 he costs us the series like he did last year (4 goals 11 shots).

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I agree with everything you said. I was begrudgingly willing to give him one more chance after last year because he was a rookie and because there wasn’t really another option. He blew it though as you aptly described. I don’t see him overcoming those issues he has. I also don’t see how he can be the Oilers starter next year. Starting him tomorrow would be bizzarro world for me but then again, I felt that same way for game 6 against Vegas last year too.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Bob Stauffer hinted that Skinner might start tomorrow. I'm not at all amused but hopefully it doesn't happen. If he does.. obviously I'll cheer him on because.. well.. I'm forced to. Lol

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Gagner has never played a playoff game for the Oilers and only 11 in his life. Feel like he would be so pumped up to play tomorrow.

Should come in for McLeod who is not an NHL playoff player. And at the very worst he comes in and doesn’t do anything - which is what McLeod has done for 10 games now

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
McLeods pace leads to absolutely nothing though. He is absolutely horrid offensively.
3-6-9 -8 42 playoff games. Thats a good sample size of him bring a good 4th liner at best.

Maybe keep him if you can find a 3c to push him down. His offensive contribution is acceptable on the 4th line.
I look at McLeod as a very good 4C but below average 3C. I wouldnt mind seeing a line next year with McLeod centering Holloway and Lavoie.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad