LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th, CGY; traded to VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He was the best forward in nearly every game for utica since he was sent down. What exactly did you not see exactly?

I hate to use the phrase AINEC, but I went to at least 15 Utica games and Cal O'Reilley was very very clearly their best offensive player AINEC

evdog

Oct 15, 2014
San diego
Just jumped into this thread, but I can't believe Andersson dropped to the 2nd round! So many fallers in that draft.
Basically what you are saying is the Flames got a first-rounder for Sven. That trade keeps getting better and better! :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How do you like them apples?
You should probably provide more information of you are trying to brag. I had no idea what you were talking about until I read the post after yours. But good for him, it was in the preseason, against the Oilers and 3 of the assists were secondary assists, but still good for him.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
You should probably provide more information of you are trying to brag. I had no idea what you were talking about until I read the post after yours. But good for him, it was in the preseason, against the Oilers and 3 of the assists were secondary assists, but still good for him.

He has been relatively unproductive since the start of preseason but his line of Baerstchi - Horvat - Virtanen lit it up tonight. Before tonight you could tell he possesses elite puck skills but seems to lack the drive. He had numerous chances where he had the angle and could've cut to the net coming in with speed but decided to take the low percentage shot.

Thankfully he got on the scoresheet and exploded tonight, but it seems like he only ever lights it up against the Oilers in a Canucks jersey

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Meh.......

He had a good night but I am still not a fan, amazing patience with the puck, but his inability to keep
playing once he feels the slightest bit of body contact is still very noticeable.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of these brutal conversation topics where he goes through a massive drought and the flames fans gloat, then he goes on a point streak and Vancouver fans gloat.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Meh.......

He had a good night but I am still not a fan, amazing patience with the puck, but his inability to keep
playing once he feels the slightest bit of body contact is still very noticeable.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of these brutal conversation topics where he goes through a massive drought and the flames fans gloat, then he goes on a point streak and Vancouver fans gloat.

Pretty much.

To be honest, if I had the choice between Baertschi and Rasmus Andersson, I'd take Andersson. This game was more of a stay of execution for Sven, who's been mostly 'meh' until today. Calgary fans have been supportive of Baertschi, so let's not start gloating. Hopefully both teams wind up happy with the trade.

if Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen are still a line three months from now, then we can start gloating. ;)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pretty much.

To be honest, if I had the choice between Baertschi and Rasmus Andersson, I'd take Andersson. This game was more of a stay of execution for Sven, who's been mostly 'meh' until today. Calgary fans have been supportive of Baertschi, so let's not start gloating. Hopefully both teams wind up happy with the trade.

if Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen are still a line three months from now, then we can start gloating. ;)
We have? That surprises me. I was looking forward to him being dealt but I didn't like him going to you guys because he does have potential if he ever puts it together.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
he played great tonight. not sure if it was because of the crappy Oilers or playing with Horvat-Virtanen. need to see more of that line!

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Pretty much.

He was becoming a very polarizing prospect among the Calgary fans. The gloating both ways seemed to be going on quite a bit much before the trade went down.

I am guessing it is starting to happen in Vancouver among the fans? Sven does definitely show quite a high-end skill set and it makes the 'supporters' gush over him and what he could be. Then he does nothing for long periods of time, and the other half calls him a bust.

Will be interesting to track his progress, regardless on which side of the fence someone sits. Kid has huge potential. Kid has huge holes. Interesting anyways.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Pretty much.

Ya Sven has just been okay, but I think he'll get going. He plays smart and plays hard in all 3 zones.

Personally I think Rasmus Andersson is awful. Calgary could have had Vince Dunn and they took Rasmus Andersson...people who liked him at Penticton weren't seeing all the holes in his game that are going to get exposed against better players. I would take Dunn over Baertschi, yes.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
anyone who plays with Bo Horvat looks good. Tho they were playing against the Oilers. What else would you expect.

Bandwagon In Flames*

Was only a matter of time before Baertschi got on the scoresheet. Took 5 games, but he managed 4 assists.

This is pretty much status quo for Baertschi. Shows up for 1/5 games and it's typically against the bottom dwelling teams.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Ya Sven has just been okay, but I think he'll get going. He plays smart and plays hard in all 3 zones.

Personally I think Rasmus Andersson is awful. Calgary could have had Vince Dunn and they took Rasmus Andersson...people who liked him at Penticton weren't seeing all the holes in his game that are going to get exposed against better players. I would take Dunn over Baertschi, yes.

Of course you do, that's the first I'm hearing anyone saying that about Andersson.

Using your logic, people who liked Sven weren't seeing all the holes in his game that are going to get exposed against better players.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

Every young dman has holes, but Andersson has a great package of skills imo. He has also already been tested by adult players in Sweden and I feel he has a good head for the game defensively as well and has very good lower body strength. What his problem I find right now is is lack of conditioning and stamina, he needs to improve this to survive a full game of 20+ mins a night and 82 games a season. Down the road I see a good 2nd pairing dman.

As for Dunn, he is like Andersson in that they could've been eligible for the 2014 drafts so really speaking they are playing as 18 year olds. Good skating but he has terrible gap control (can be learned) and lower body strength (can be trained). But I feel he is super raw like Kylington and relies too much on outskating his junior level opponents. Similiar to Letang I guess. I don't think he will be a two way dman, hes either going to be the #1 PP unit QB type Letang or he is going to be a MAB or nothing.

In short I feel Andersson is a much safer pick than Dunn.

I still really like Bart though. I just not much room for him in the Calgary roster and he got overtaken by Gaudreau. He'll be good I feel still. Too much talent there and he just needs to figure it out.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Was only a matter of time before Baertschi got on the scoresheet. Took 5 games, but he managed 4 assists.

This is pretty much status quo for Baertschi. Shows up for 1/5 games and it's typically against the bottom dwelling teams.

Nice try but the Oilers were 6-0 going into last night's pre season game.
As a Canuck fan, it's only one game but Virtanen, Baertschi and Horvat could be an exciting line. On paper it makes a lot of sense with Baertschi as the playmaker, Virtanen as the power forward goal scorer and Horvat as the two way all round center. Hopefully they get a few more games to gel.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Baertschi was actually physical in last nights game using his body to protect the puck and finishing his checks. He said it took him a couple games to get into groove and prior to yesterday he has been playing with offensive black holes

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Every young dman has holes, but Andersson has a great package of skills imo. He has also already been tested by adult players in Sweden and I feel he has a good head for the game defensively as well and has very good lower body strength. What his problem I find right now is is lack of conditioning and stamina, he needs to improve this to survive a full game of 20+ mins a night and 82 games a season. Down the road I see a good 2nd pairing dman.

As for Dunn, he is like Andersson in that they could've been eligible for the 2014 drafts so really speaking they are playing as 18 year olds. Good skating but he has terrible gap control (can be learned) and lower body strength (can be trained). But I feel he is super raw like Kylington and relies too much on outskating his junior level opponents. Similiar to Letang I guess. I don't think he will be a two way dman, hes either going to be the #1 PP unit QB type Letang or he is going to be a MAB or nothing.

In short I feel Andersson is a much safer pick than Dunn.

I still really like Bart though. I just not much room for him in the Calgary roster and he got overtaken by Gaudreau. He'll be good I feel still. Too much talent there and he just needs to figure it out.

Letang is a decent comparison for Dunn, he'll hit too like Letang...for all his knocks Letang's a dang good player though. I believe Dunn's looked great both ways for St. Louis in the preseason, and I'd disagree that he's raw like Kylington. Andersson, what I don't like about him is his below average skating and that he's too slow to move the puck against a good forecheck, even in junior. He has a great shot, however, and can make good plays when he has time and space. But that's what I meant about being exposed by stronger competition. Maybe he'll improve. Back on topic though.

What I like about Sven is he's shown consistently to be a big game player. Hope that continues in the NHL...preseason is preseason.

Last edited:

Bandwagon In Flames*

Nice try but the Oilers were 6-0 going into last night's pre season game.
As a Canuck fan, it's only one game but Virtanen, Baertschi and Horvat could be an exciting line. On paper it makes a lot of sense with Baertschi as the playmaker, Virtanen as the power forward goal scorer and Horvat as the two way all round center. Hopefully they get a few more games to gel.

Oilers always do well in the preseason, it doesn't mean much. They were 6-0 because management played their starters most of the games. Whereas other teams are letting their B-C Prospects play.

Of course they will fall back down to earth when they are facing their A-team vs other teams A-team.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Kid is a stud. He's Doug Gilmour without the tenacity. Does it all

Wow you must not like Horvat cause Doug Gilmour without the tenacity would have sucked. It was that tenacity that made him a valuable NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad