Confirmed with Link: Lou Going to The Islanders

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lou obviously had permission from the Maple Leafs to talk with the Islanders. Shanahan didn't stand in his way. One reason Lou is so respected around the league is his professionalism. Hockey is an old boys club, and you don't step on toes. If the NHL has no problem with Lou's meeting with Tavares, I was above board. Good luck Lou!!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
delusional about what exactly ?

- the many posts where i kept reading LL was staying to fulfill his contract

or

- kicking people on the way out which this fan base has a habit of doing (take a look at the Hunter thread for example)

who is kicking him out?
saying that it's not the biggest deal if he goes, because we don't know how much of a significant impact thus it's not this huge "oh mah gawd what are we gonna dooooooo." people are going on isn't "kicking him on the way out. it's stating the truth.

and people were calling Lou and Dinosaur when he was hired. hell. people were saying that was his tendency when he was here. that's relatively consistent if you ask me.

Reactions: Menzinger

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
who is kicking him out?
saying that it's not the biggest deal if he goes, because we don't know how much of a significant impact thus it's not this huge "oh mah gawd what are we gonna dooooooo." people are going on isn't "kicking him on the way out. it's stating the truth.

and people were calling Lou and Dinosaur when he was hired. hell. people were saying that was his tendency when he was here. that's relatively consistent if you ask me.
i didn't say we were kicking him out , i said we kick them on the way out which means some like to take shots at former employees that leave (in this case voluntarily)

yup a few didn't like or should i say they were concerned about LL to begin with but for the most part you didn't hear much during his 3 years here until he wasn't renewed

and as i said , Hunter's star dimmed very quickly among many as soon as the reports came out he may not be staying for long

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i didn't say we were kicking him out , i said we kick them on the way out which means some like to take shots at former employees that leave (in this case voluntarily)

i caught that (i couldn't edit it). but my statement still stands
stating the truth that he's not going to be that "irreplaceable" is not taking shots at him.
(if there was anything else, i probably have them ignored.).

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If all Lou did was teach the Leaf's organization to completely clamp down on leaks to the media, he was well worth it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Isn't this more of a "rumour" at this point, than Confirmed? As likely and strong as that rumour might be?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Shanahan and Lou are good friends...

They didn't hire Lou to keep the status quo. Lou will either take over the GM duties himself, or fire Snow and hire someone. My guess if he hires someone else, is that it is Hunter.
There seems to be some talk of lou going in to mentor his son who is an assistant gm with the islanders on the main boards. He may groom him for a year like he did with dubas. I think hunter stays with the leafs over a team like the isles who are much worse off as a organization both presently and moving forward(they are entering rebuild 3.0 if Tavares walks). Hunter will be paid more to stay in his current role then being the isles general manager i would guess. If hunter leaves the leafs I think it's for a team where he has full control and one that is not have concerns like the isles do(waiting for there arena). If the habs were not so insistent on bergervin and French everything I think hunter could do a pretty good job rebuilding that team, same for the sens but with the meddling owner being a pain. Hoping Hunter sticks with the leafs till the end of 2019 draft at least. Really is not a guy who will be easy to replace and I want to see him being able draft without Lou influencing (speculating our 2016 draft strategy was based a bit in size empahize by lou). Hope dubas can work to gain assets and picks for Hunter so he has 4-5 top 90 picks in the 2019 draft to work his magic on. In a ideal world Shanahan can find a way to get Hunter and Dubas to be happily at the top of the leafs managment chain together with Babcock being given most authority for the on ice decisions.

HC7

May 2, 2018
By what Friedman says it seems obvious Hunter will follow.

Not sure why the Leafs would allow him to leave before the draft. At this point I think Dubas will run that draft like he did in 2015. Can't trust a traitor.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Didn't the Leafs lose a 3rd rounder for signing Lou?
Why don't we get comp'd?

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I think the biggest part of that clip was Friedman saying Hunter was not at the memorial cup or planning to go and staying in Tor and that was raising eyebrows. I really think we would be hit pretty hard of we loose Hunter. We would go to a very strong managerial team to a weak one.

You guys can go on about Dubas all you want but he hasn't done squat yet.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think the biggest part of that clip was Friedman saying Hunter was not at the memorial cup or planning to go and staying in Tor and that was raising eyebrows. I really think we would be hit pretty hard of we loose Hunter. We would go to a very strong managerial team to a weak one.

Weak? We still have Dubas, Shanahan and Pridham. Lets not overreact now. Lou helped but we always knew he was going to leave sometime soon due to his age. Hunter is theoretically the only one who might leave that wasn't predicted at the start. Hunter doesn't change us from a strong management team to a weak one. Still lots of strong parts.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Hunter not being at the worlds or the mem cup raises more than a few eyebrows , it pretty much means he's leaving and if goes to the Island i could see him bringing a number of his scouts with him .

but no worries since i've read on here that Dubas is a proven expert at every facet of the game

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's unfortunate how little organizational loyalty there seems to be for the Leafs. I guess Hunter really wanted the post as a stepping stone, but holy cow, let's accomplish something before breaking up the band. The Wings had Bowman, Nill, Yzerman and co. together for many years before everyone went their separate ways.

Reactions: daveleaf

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

yup a few didn't like or should i say they were concerned about LL to begin with but for the most part you didn't hear much during his 3 years here until he wasn't renewed

and as i said , Hunter's star dimmed very quickly among many as soon as the reports came out he may not be staying for long

Most people feel comfortable with Dubas, thats why we arent upaet about Lou leaving. I thibk most people can agree that Lou did great things for the organization in general to help make us a very respectable and UFA attractive organization, but his moves as a GM were pretty average (couple bad contracts, couple trades with mixed opinions).

As for Hunter, I havent been in his thread lately, but I have seen way more people upset he was not named the GM (or that he would leave) than those bashing him.

Yes I'm sure this fanbase finds it essier to bash people after they leave the Leafs (like all fanbases), but you are definitely overstating it.

Most people agreed when Kessel left the Pens were getting a star winger, very few bashed him. If Hunter left then I can gurantee the majority of the fanbase would be upset and still think he is a great hockey mind.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Right after we had to cough up picks for both Lou and Babcock (neither of whom was under contract to another team). Leafs get screwed again

Yeah imagine the Leafs grabbing a couple of seconds for Hunter and Lou going to the Island.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

Additions to the Shanagement team will be made. Lou/Dubas needs to be replaced. Maybe Hunter too. Let's withhold judgement til we find out who is added. Opportunities with this FO will still be highly sought-after.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Our top player at odds with the coach...

Hunter gone, now Lou gone and replaced with a 32-year old kid with no NHL experience...

Please tell me all this activity in the last 2 weeks isn't an indication that there are even bigger problems in management than we had thought

Just when everyone was onboard with this team's direction... now there are doubts yet again

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Our top player at odds with the coach...

Hunter gone, now Lou gone and replaced with a 32-year old kid with no NHL experience...

Please tell me all this activity in the last 2 weeks isn't an indication that there are even bigger problems in management than we had thought

Just when everyone was onboard with this team's direction... now there are doubts yet again
Everything is pretty much going according to plan. I'd say that's the opposite of having indications of an underlying problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad